Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sim Stuck at Neighbor's --game crashes when loading town--

hihi122122hihi122122 Posts: 1,259 Member
My sim is stuck at a neighbor's town, since I cannot load the neighbor's place. Previously, I thought it was something with my phone/app, and I cleared the cache, restarted my phone, etc, etc, everything short of uninstalling it. I can at least open the game when it isn't stuck in the loop of trying to load the sim in the far away land. I thought I couldn't even open the game at first, but now I know it's related to this sim.

I sent a sim over to do a social quest (read a biography) and they've completed the quest, but I can't load the town, so I can't get the social points or xp or anything. This includes bringing the sim home. I can't save my data to the cloud because the sim is at the neighbors. I've not saved the game in a long time (at minimum the 24 hours since the party boat) and I've been doing a lot of quests, so I'd rather the sim sit and rot over rolling back the game to possibly not even fix the problem.

I feel like I've tried everything, but I'd welcome any suggestions to try. I have another device that supports the sims (a kind of outdated tablet), but I like my phone better. Anyone else run into this, or is it just me?

Comments

• hihi122122hihi122122 Posts: 1,259 Member
    I'd also like to add: Anyone know when the game auto-saves? Then I could re-download from the cloud potentially.
  • ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    I haven't experienced this on my tablets. But it happened all the time at my iPod Touch 4g. So I assume that it was because my iPod didn't have sufficient ram or power when my sims visited other another player's town.

The game autosaves all the time to the cloud and I am not even sure how much it saves locally. It usually needs to load everything from the cloud and to update the cloud too. If you visit another player's city then this player's town is downloaded to your device when your sim starts the visit and not downloaded again before the visit is over. Therefore you will never see changes which the other player does to his/her game before you start a new visit to the same town.

If the game crashes every time you want to visit your sim in the other town then there are only two options for the reason:
    1. There is an error in your downloaded copy of the other town.
    2. Your device is short on free ram and therefore unable to load the other town too.

The first option requires help from Firemonkeys to be solved. But if it is option 2 then you maybe can solve it yourself or it will just suddenly work again for no obvious reason.
    Thanks for the info! My mom plays the game on her iPad (I'm not sure what version, but it's a couple years old at least). I have an android phone (Samsung Galaxy S5). We both are experiencing this issue, so I suspect it has to do with the recent update.

I highly doubt it has to do with free RAM, in part because I only have the Sims installed plus an anti-virus program besides what the phone came with (and I removed a lot of "bloatware" as I call it). I've ended all the background tasks and still have this issue.

Who or what is Firemonkeys? Is it a branch of EA or an independent studio, etc?
    Update: the sim in question appeared home. I didn't get any SP or anything, but at least I can have the sim back. I didn't do anything different, and motives were high enough to not warrant an automatic return. I don't know if this is a one time glitch, but I'll save, upload, reinstall and see if this happens again.
  • ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    edited October 2016
    hihi122122 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info! My mom plays the game on her iPad (I'm not sure what version, but it's a couple years old at least). I have an android phone (Samsung Galaxy S5). We both are experiencing this issue, so I suspect it has to do with the recent update.

I highly doubt it has to do with free RAM, in part because I only have the Sims installed plus an anti-virus program besides what the phone came with (and I removed a lot of "bloatware" as I call it). I've ended all the background tasks and still have this issue.

EA bought two game studios in Australia named Firemint and Ironmonkeys (in 2011 and 2010) and merged them into a new studio with the name Firemonkeys. Firemonkeys then released the Sims Freeplay in 2011. So even though Firemonkeys now also is owned by EA it is located in Australia while Maxis (who made all the big PC Sims games) is located in California US.

Both Firemint and Ironmonkeys made mainly only mobile games too before EA bought them. So EAs plan probably was to let Firemonkeys make the future mobile versions of the Sims games because the mobile Sims games made by Maxis hadn't been very succesful.

In this forum only SimGuruEmma is from Firemonkeys while all the other SimGurus are from Maxis.
    Erpe wrote: »
    hihi122122 wrote: »

EA bought two game studios in Australia named Firemint and Ironmonkeys (in 2011 and 2010) and merged them into a new studio with the name Firemonkeys. Firemonkeys then released the Sims Freeplay in 2011. So even though Firemonkeys now also is owned by EA it is located in Australia while Maxis (who made all the big PC Sims games) is located in California US.

Both Firemint and Ironmonkeys made mainly only mobile games too before EA bought them. So EAs plan probably was to let Firemonkeys make the future mobile versions of the Sims games because the mobile Sims games made by Maxis hadn't been very succesful.

In this forum only SimGuruEmma is from Firemonkeys while all the other SimGurus are from Maxis.

Thanks for clearing that up! I knew Maxis was in California, but I had no idea about sims freeplay. I haven't contacted gurus directly before, but at least I have a name if I need something in the future.
  • SimGuruEmmaSimGuruEmma Posts: 118 SimGuru
    Hey @hihi122122, I've heard a few cases of this happening but they seem fairly rare :( I'm sorry to hear it's happening to you though. If you've tried the uninstall/reinstall, have you found that's been of help to you so far?
    Community Engagement Manager - The Sims FreePlay + The Sims Mobile - Firemonkeys and Maxis
    @SimGuruEmma -- thanks for stopping by my thread :) I've uninstalled and reinstalled and it seems to have worked so far...I'm not sure if I just got lucky and something was corrupted and repaired or if it will happen again. I'll keep it as a wait and see approach. I can let you know if it happens again.

Since my mom has this issue too, I'll recommend she reinstall the app as well.
    Cheers for letting me know @hihi122122! Let me know if you or your mum run into any similar problems!
    Community Engagement Manager - The Sims FreePlay + The Sims Mobile - Firemonkeys and Maxis
    @SimGuruEmma -- unfortunately the problem has returned :/ I suspect it may happen when sims are collecting candy for the Halloween quest, but that's just a guess.
    Oh dear... Hey @hihi122122 send us a help request and we'll investigate what's going on there further! http://bit.ly/EAFMhelp
    @SimGuruEmma -- I've submitted the ticket and hopefully the team can figure out the issue soon!