Sul sul! How many baes is too many? The answer is NONE! Join @kelseydangerous on her journey of love as she attempts to maintain 100 romantic relationships.
Follow along on her road to love here!
September 17th- It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!

the worst thing about City Living - it will sell like hot cakes

Comments

  • Forest_NinjaForest_Ninja Posts: 1,181 Member
    People are going to buy a game that they enjoy. The horror!

    The Sims 4 was the best selling PC game of 2015 and is the most successful Sims game so far because it's exactly what most fans want from a life simulation game. Of course it's going to sell well.

    You're great! I love when you post! Are you really Colton?

    Anyway, you are quite right- nothing can stand against the majesty and execution of a title as grand and inspired as the Sims 4. It is destined- DARE I SAY PREORDAINED! -to carry the torch of gaming greatness not just now but tomorrow and the next day and the next for NOT JUST OURSELVES BUT OUR CHILDREN AND OUR CHILDREN'S CHILDREN! Preach it brother!

    You forgot the part about how you "couldn't have worded/phrased/explained it any better/more clearly." That's the most effective method for substantiation of irrational opinions, and it really convinces everyone that the other participant is genuine.
  • OMGiLoveIceCreamOMGiLoveIceCream Posts: 603 Member
    edited October 2016
    Deleted
  • OMGiLoveIceCreamOMGiLoveIceCream Posts: 603 Member
    mirta000 wrote: »
    I'd be perfectly happy if the future was this good, thanks.

    And "objectively" it has features that previous editions didn't have as well as not having some that previous editions have. It is also not an objective matter whether those features are missed: there are many that I, personally, don't miss or am happy to not have; other people will have their own set of subjective preferences around previous games' features. Which features I would like to have again is also a subjective matter. And objectively, they weren't "cut": they were not added. This is a new game, not a recoding of old ones. You can't cut things you don't make in the first place. (Nitpicky, that last point, but it's been bugging me for two years, so I'm finally saying it.)

    well I hope that you don't miss many more things as it progresses into Sims 5 and 6 and 7. After all, why stop at cutting one life stage when you can cut more? Why stop at cutting terrain and create a world tools, if you can also cut the majority of the build mode? After all if you weren't one to make gardens, you won't miss all those trees.

    I don't need a toddler to enjoy family play. I don't need terrain tools to make a good build. And I certainly wouldn't want create a world, for these reasons:

    -Really complicated
    -Not for MAC (it wasn't for MAC in TS3)
    -Comes in a DLC (it came in a DLC for TS3)
  • KiwicantdieKiwicantdie Posts: 1,294 Member
    mirta000 wrote: »
    A lot of people in this topic for some reason think that they need to defend the fact that they like the game. No they do not. Good for them. I'm merely asking what will be EA's incentive to make the next iteration better. Because if you can make a mediocre game and sell many units, what is the point in investing more effort?

    "what will be EA's incentive to make the next iteration better?" My personal answer to this is: selling well.
    Knowing that there are people still in love with the game should be the right incentive to keep delivering a good and better product to those who play the game. Obviously, those who feel like the game is lacking or broken, will continue to find it lacking and broken for the whole ride. no matter what.
    It's all about perspective. Mine obviously differs from yours :)
    KEBB11a.png
    Origin ID: Kiwicantdie
    Willow Creek | Evergreen Harbor
  • ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member
    mirta000 wrote: »
    Arletta wrote: »
    You don't know that there will be further iterations.

    this would be even more grim than my prediction. No further sims iteration = death of franchise itself.

    Not necessarily but then that's more theories. I think I am done here.
  • mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,969 Member
    I don't need a toddler to enjoy family play. I don't need terrain tools to make a good build. And I certainly wouldn't want create a world, for these reasons:

    -Really complicated
    -Not for MAC (it wasn't for MAC in TS3)
    -Comes in a DLC (it came in a DLC for TS3)

    what else do you think you don't need? And why would it make the next iteration not objectively worse to have less features?

    And speaking about CAW for TS3, it was a free download.
    The new thang that I do now is 100 baby challenge in The Sims 3 (it's my first time!)!


  • Sasquatch_01Sasquatch_01 Posts: 538 Member
    People are going to buy a game that they enjoy. The horror!

    The Sims 4 was the best selling PC game of 2015 and is the most successful Sims game so far because it's exactly what most fans want from a life simulation game. Of course it's going to sell well.

    You're great! I love when you post! Are you really Colton?

    Anyway, you are quite right- nothing can stand against the majesty and execution of a title as grand and inspired as the Sims 4. It is destined- DARE I SAY PREORDAINED! -to carry the torch of gaming greatness not just now but tomorrow and the next day and the next for NOT JUST OURSELVES BUT OUR CHILDREN AND OUR CHILDREN'S CHILDREN! Preach it brother!

    You forgot the part about how you "couldn't have worded/phrased/explained it any better/more clearly." That's the most effective method for substantiation of irrational opinions, and it really convinces everyone that the other participant is genuine.

    @SimGuruDrake ,

    There's no policy violation so immediately unblock my account or I'll contact the executives.
  • Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
    All this thread literally is, is a few certain simmers trying to shame people for liking Sims 4. Im looking forward to city living, only complaints are lack of life state and no buildable apartments. I still don't think it's half baked or missing features. Apparently it's okay for Sims 3 to have horrible half baked features, or even an entire expansion pack that only works in one world that barely even functions if you're lucky, but it's not okay to have 1 lack of apartments.

    I am excited for City Living, I will be purchasing City living, I will be purchasing future content. I do not think Sims 4 is half bake, and I'm not defending that just to feed someones ego, get over it.


    Edit; just comparing Sims 3 retail, spas and restaurants to Sims 4 is a complete joke. They were all rabbit holes for one unless you got the store pack.

    Kids couldn't even dine out, the restaurants were always dead, the chef was also the waiter and food magically poofed ready in seconds from an enchanted oven.

    There were no restocking fees, you could only sell furniture In the catalogue (no crafts), and any sim could EASILY be convinced to buy anything.

    I am tired of people looking for every chance to put down the Sims 4 and not even remembering basic stuff like children not even being able to play instruments or go out to a RESTAURANT and try to say Sims 4 does everything worse. Almost every item Sims 4 has been better than Sims 3. DJ booths have waay more songs, karaoke has more songs and duets, chocolate fountain comas with other juices, ice-cream maker comes with around 35 flavors compared to Sims 3's like 5 ice-cream flavors. And everything has been soo much better priced too.

    I'm not aware of the expansion pack that only works in one world BUT I, for one, did not think the half baked features in the Sims 3 were "okay". I don't think the horrible bugs and glitches that were never fixed (Island Paradise being a glaring example) is okay. I have stated that Spa Day/ Dine Out and the Retail system are ALL vast improvements over Sims 3 but I'm not blind to their limitations and the fact that they did stop short in several ways. I expect the Sims 4 to be not just better but greater than the Sims 3. I have (had :/) high expectations for this iteration and simply saying it's better in one way or another over a game that started production ten years ago is not saying it's great. It should be better as a given over an older title- it should be great out of a desire to excel.

    The expansion Is island paradise ;)

    @zeldagirl180 Hmm... somewhat true (ehh, kinda not entirely- not really) in regard to "dive lots" but those lots could and were placed in other worlds provided the water was deep enough and the resort mechanism worked in every world. Lucky Palms were I often played could hold the dive lot AND I ran a resort there as well as in Sunset Valley and Roaring Heights. I understand the dive lots could be placed for sure in Sunset Valley as well, Sunlit Tides (not sure) but everything else, motor boats and wind sails ect. all worked everywhere. You could also craft or download a pre-crafted world from the exchange and place the lots there as well making the feature fully usable with the tools provided to you by EA/Maxis. So, the feature was not entirely limited to just that one world. I'm not sure of what else from that pack there would be a question about using in another world.

  • TheSimerTheSimer Posts: 1,007 Member
    People are going to buy a game that they enjoy. The horror!

    The Sims 4 was the best selling PC game of 2015 and is the most successful Sims game so far because it's exactly what most fans want from a life simulation game. Of course it's going to sell well.

    You're great! I love when you post! Are you really Colton?

    Anyway, you are quite right- nothing can stand against the majesty and execution of a title as grand and inspired as the Sims 4. It is destined- DARE I SAY PREORDAINED! -to carry the torch of gaming greatness not just now but tomorrow and the next day and the next for NOT JUST OURSELVES BUT OUR CHILDREN AND OUR CHILDREN'S CHILDREN! Preach it brother!

    You forgot the part about how you "couldn't have worded/phrased/explained it any better/more clearly." That's the most effective method for substantiation of irrational opinions, and it really convinces everyone that the other participant is genuine.

    @SimGuruDrake ,

    There's no policy violation so immediately unblock my account or I'll contact the executives.

    You know what is against the rules? Creating another account, after you were blocked.
  • aaronjc123aaronjc123 Posts: 1,114 Member
    edited October 2016
    So, after looking over this thread, and all of its posts, what, exactly, has been achieved? Because it seems to me like nobody's opinion has changed and people are going around in circles arguing about the same thing, putting forward the same points and getting angry/irate/upset in the process.

    I'm really not sure what the point is. Those who like the game are not going to stop liking it because someone has claimed their opinion is invalid because their explanation for liking it doesn't meet their arbitrary requirements for what is/isn't a good enough explanation, and those who dislike it will continue to insist that they are unequivocally right and those who like it suffer from some sort of cognitive dissonance/subconscious bias/whatever pop psychology/Psychology for Dummies mumbo jumbo they insist on using.

    It really is pathetic, and I'd hate to know what a casual observer would think of this gaming 'community' upon visiting this forum - probably that we're a bunch of lunatics with nothing better to do.


  • Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
    aaronjc123 wrote: »
    So, after looking over this thread, and all of its posts, what, exactly, has been achieved? Because it seems to me like nobody's opinion has changed and people are going around in circles arguing about the same thing, putting forward the same points and getting angry/irate/upset in the process.

    I'm really not sure what the point is. Those who like the game are not going to stop liking it because someone has claimed their opinion is invalid because their explanation for liking it doesn't meet their arbitrary requirements for what is/isn't a good enough explanation, and those who dislike it will continue to insist that they are unequivocally right and those who like it suffer from some sort of cognitive dissonance.

    It really is pathetic, and I'd hate to think what a casual observer would think of this gaming 'community' upon visiting this forum - probably that we're a bunch of lunatics with nothing better to do.


    LOL! And yet you felt the need to jump right on into the blood bath. Well, thank-you for your opinion that everything here is pathetic. Perhaps now that you've taken the time to insult everyone you'd care to mosey on over and write topics to yourself from yourself in MS Word. That way you'll be sure of only reading the stuff you want to read, written in a way you think it should be written saving your delicate sensitivities. No need to thank me for the suggestion- I'm here to help.

  • aaronjc123aaronjc123 Posts: 1,114 Member
    edited October 2016
    aaronjc123 wrote: »
    So, after looking over this thread, and all of its posts, what, exactly, has been achieved? Because it seems to me like nobody's opinion has changed and people are going around in circles arguing about the same thing, putting forward the same points and getting angry/irate/upset in the process.

    I'm really not sure what the point is. Those who like the game are not going to stop liking it because someone has claimed their opinion is invalid because their explanation for liking it doesn't meet their arbitrary requirements for what is/isn't a good enough explanation, and those who dislike it will continue to insist that they are unequivocally right and those who like it suffer from some sort of cognitive dissonance.

    It really is pathetic, and I'd hate to think what a casual observer would think of this gaming 'community' upon visiting this forum - probably that we're a bunch of lunatics with nothing better to do.


    LOL! And yet you felt the need to jump right on into the blood bath. Well, thank-you for your opinion that everything here is pathetic. Perhaps now that you've taken the time to insult everyone you'd care to mosey on over and write topics to yourself from yourself in MS Word. That way you'll be sure of only reading the stuff you want to read, written in a way you think it should be written saving your delicate sensitivities. No need to thank me for the suggestion- I'm here to help.

    Okay - so what purpose are you serving by contributing to this thread? Other than annoying people, what have you achieved on here?

    Do you think you've managed to convince anyone who didn't already dislike the game, that the game isn't very good and they shouldn't buy it?

    I am being serious - what are you trying to achieve on here?


  • Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
    aaronjc123 wrote: »
    aaronjc123 wrote: »
    So, after looking over this thread, and all of its posts, what, exactly, has been achieved? Because it seems to me like nobody's opinion has changed and people are going around in circles arguing about the same thing, putting forward the same points and getting angry/irate/upset in the process.

    I'm really not sure what the point is. Those who like the game are not going to stop liking it because someone has claimed their opinion is invalid because their explanation for liking it doesn't meet their arbitrary requirements for what is/isn't a good enough explanation, and those who dislike it will continue to insist that they are unequivocally right and those who like it suffer from some sort of cognitive dissonance.

    It really is pathetic, and I'd hate to think what a casual observer would think of this gaming 'community' upon visiting this forum - probably that we're a bunch of lunatics with nothing better to do.


    LOL! And yet you felt the need to jump right on into the blood bath. Well, thank-you for your opinion that everything here is pathetic. Perhaps now that you've taken the time to insult everyone you'd care to mosey on over and write topics to yourself from yourself in MS Word. That way you'll be sure of only reading the stuff you want to read, written in a way you think it should be written saving your delicate sensitivities. No need to thank me for the suggestion- I'm here to help.

    Okay - so what purpose are you serving by contributing to this thread? Other than annoying people, what have you achieved on here?

    Do you think you've managed to convince anyone who didn't already dislike the game, that the game isn't very good and they shouldn't buy it?

    I am being serious - what are you trying to achieve on here?

    Well, I would imagine the same exact purpose you hope to achieve (minus the insulting part). Do you really think you are going to sway myself or anyone else here to your point of view, that we are pathetic and lunatics? Is that what you think is going to happen? Do you think we were all waiting here- just for you -so that your wisdom and enlightenment could in some way generate an epiphany within us and we'd suddenly sit up and wonder in amazement at the glorious Sermon From the Keyboard delivered by the Noble Aaron JC? Is that what you thought as you sat down to inform us of the error of our ways of trying to inform others of the error of their ways? Is that it? Okay, then there you have your answer to your question- whatever you thought as you started to type- whatever effect you hoped for is the same as anyone else. Welcome to the club and the understanding that what you wrote you disliked is exactly what you were in fact doing.

  • blueturtleotterblueturtleotter Posts: 867 Member
    edited October 2016
    People are going to buy a game that they enjoy. The horror!

    The Sims 4 was the best selling PC game of 2015 and is the most successful Sims game so far because it's exactly what most fans want from a life simulation game. Of course it's going to sell well.

    Can you back the bolded part up with an official statement? You are stating it as though it is a fact.
  • Konan_NorrisKonan_Norris Posts: 211 Member
    sell like hotcakes?? The horror...the horror. I love hotcakes. I love them in a car. I will not buy City Living near or far.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

    giphy.gif

  • cameronw209cameronw209 Posts: 1,497 Member
    edited October 2016
    mirta000 wrote: »
    I don't need a toddler to enjoy family play. I don't need terrain tools to make a good build. And I certainly wouldn't want create a world, for these reasons:

    -Really complicated
    -Not for MAC (it wasn't for MAC in TS3)
    -Comes in a DLC (it came in a DLC for TS3)

    what else do you think you don't need? And why would it make the next iteration not objectively worse to have less features?

    And speaking about CAW for TS3, it was a free download.

    Less features = objective. Less features being worse = subjective.

    There are many people on the forums who are not bothered by toddlers being dropped with some even stating they are happy for them to be gone. Therefore, TS4 minus a feature, such as toddlers, can subjectively be a good thing. The same way it can subjectively be a bad thing.

    The minute something objective is given an adjective, it becomes subjective ;)

  • mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,969 Member
    edited October 2016
    cameron, have you honestly seen a game where people would celebrate losing many features? Less features on the 4th iteration is objectively bad.
    You know what you do when a feature isn't satisfactory? Change it. You don't cut it.

    And how many things will you excuse this way? "Oh remember when in TS4 everyone hated the babies because they were nothing more than an object? Aren't you happy that TS5 dropped it?", "oh remember when we had the worry of choosing 3 traits? Isn't 1 trait so much better?" "who liked trees and gardening anyway? Buy mode is so much cleaner with that gone!", "big lots were very laggy anyway, I'm happy that we're now down to 4 sims per family and 20X20 lots maximum. My game runs so much better now!"
    The new thang that I do now is 100 baby challenge in The Sims 3 (it's my first time!)!


  • cameronw209cameronw209 Posts: 1,497 Member
    edited October 2016
    mirta000 wrote: »
    cameron, have you honestly seen a game where people would celebrate losing many features? Less features on the 4th iteration is objectively bad.

    Not saying anyone is celebrating it, though, I did say there are people happy about missing toddlers. I'm saying there are varying opinions about the loss of features, which further emphasises how the reaction to those missing features is subjective.

    There's no such thing as objectively bad. Just pointing that out. The minute something objective is given any sort of emotional attachment, it becomes subjective, meaning it can vary amongst people.

    I think I'm being quite neutral here btw...fyi.
    Post edited by cameronw209 on

  • mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,969 Member
    edited October 2016
    mirta000 wrote: »
    cameron, have you honestly seen a game where people would celebrate losing many features? Less features on the 4th iteration is objectively bad.

    Not saying anyone is celebrating it, though, I did say there are people happy about missing toddlers. I'm saying there are varying opinions about the loss of features, which further emphasises the reaction to those missing features are subjective.

    There's no such thing as objectively bad. Just pointing that out. The minute something objective is given any sort of emotional attachment, it becomes subjective, meaning it can vary amongst people.

    I think I'm being quite neutral here btw...fyi.

    you think losing things can be objectively not bad? How does that logic work? Liking or disliking features is subjective, but the amount of features are most definitely objective.

    And my question stands, if we're okay with all of this, why would the next iteration not be smaller?
    The new thang that I do now is 100 baby challenge in The Sims 3 (it's my first time!)!


  • cameronw209cameronw209 Posts: 1,497 Member
    edited October 2016
    mirta000 wrote: »
    Liking or disliking features is subjective, but the amount of features are most definitely objective.

    Yes - but how the loss of features are perceived is subjective.

  • mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,969 Member
    Yes - but how the loss of features is perceived is subjective.

    let's say one game had 500 interactions, the next iteration had 200. How can that objectively not be perceived as a negative thing? Even if 200 are vastly improved, the company had to be budgeting to not be able to uphold the same standard. And it would be considered as a fall in standard.
    The new thang that I do now is 100 baby challenge in The Sims 3 (it's my first time!)!


  • Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,926 Member
    All this thread literally is, is a few certain simmers trying to shame people for liking Sims 4. Im looking forward to city living, only complaints are lack of life state and no buildable apartments. I still don't think it's half baked or missing features. Apparently it's okay for Sims 3 to have horrible half baked features, or even an entire expansion pack that only works in one world that barely even functions if you're lucky, but it's not okay to have 1 lack of apartments.

    I am excited for City Living, I will be purchasing City living, I will be purchasing future content. I do not think Sims 4 is half bake, and I'm not defending that just to feed someones ego, get over it.


    Edit; just comparing Sims 3 retail, spas and restaurants to Sims 4 is a complete joke. They were all rabbit holes for one unless you got the store pack.

    Kids couldn't even dine out, the restaurants were always dead, the chef was also the waiter and food magically poofed ready in seconds from an enchanted oven.

    There were no restocking fees, you could only sell furniture In the catalogue (no crafts), and any sim could EASILY be convinced to buy anything.

    I am tired of people looking for every chance to put down the Sims 4 and not even remembering basic stuff like children not even being able to play instruments or go out to a RESTAURANT and try to say Sims 4 does everything worse. Almost every item Sims 4 has been better than Sims 3. DJ booths have waay more songs, karaoke has more songs and duets, chocolate fountain comas with other juices, ice-cream maker comes with around 35 flavors compared to Sims 3's like 5 ice-cream flavors. And everything has been soo much better priced too.

    I'm not aware of the expansion pack that only works in one world BUT I, for one, did not think the half baked features in the Sims 3 were "okay". I don't think the horrible bugs and glitches that were never fixed (Island Paradise being a glaring example) is okay. I have stated that Spa Day/ Dine Out and the Retail system are ALL vast improvements over Sims 3 but I'm not blind to their limitations and the fact that they did stop short in several ways. I expect the Sims 4 to be not just better but greater than the Sims 3. I have (had :/) high expectations for this iteration and simply saying it's better in one way or another over a game that started production ten years ago is not saying it's great. It should be better as a given over an older title- it should be great out of a desire to excel.

    The expansion Is island paradise ;)

    @zeldagirl180 Hmm... somewhat true (ehh, kinda not entirely- not really) in regard to "dive lots" but those lots could and were placed in other worlds provided the water was deep enough and the resort mechanism worked in every world. Lucky Palms were I often played could hold the dive lot AND I ran a resort there as well as in Sunset Valley and Roaring Heights. I understand the dive lots could be placed for sure in Sunset Valley as well, Sunlit Tides (not sure) but everything else, motor boats and wind sails ect. all worked everywhere. You could also craft or download a pre-crafted world from the exchange and place the lots there as well making the feature fully usable with the tools provided to you by EA/Maxis. So, the feature was not entirely limited to just that one world. I'm not sure of what else from that pack there would be a question about using in another world.

    Dive lots were so incredibly difficult to add to other worlds that I'd assume the average user could only use them in one world. It was very complicated to add them to New worlds. But I get your point.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • cameronw209cameronw209 Posts: 1,497 Member
    edited October 2016
    mirta000 wrote: »
    Yes - but how the loss of features is perceived is subjective.

    let's say one game had 500 interactions, the next iteration had 200. How can that objectively not be perceived as a negative thing? Even if 200 are vastly improved, the company had to be budgeting to not be able to uphold the same standard. And it would be considered as a fall in standard.

    I know it sounds silly, but you're basically applying an opinion/emotional input on something being reduced from 500 to 200. While there could be a large negative opinion on that, it is simply the dominant subjective opinion, not the "objective opinion". If it is stated as an "objective opinion" then it excludes those who are in the minority of a different opinion about the same thing. :weary: this is a complicated topic to narrow down. It's in the field of social science, but if you learn about subjective/objective relations, then it makes sense. Let's just end it here :D
    Post edited by cameronw209 on

  • SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    edited October 2016
    How is that bad? It looks like a great EP and it will give the team funds to make great future content.
  • GivemeJazzGivemeJazz Posts: 18 Member
    mirta000 wrote: »
    I can't help but feel underwhelmed by the expansion. I don't like how festivals are pretty much 99% main game stuff, how apartments are not buildable at all and you can't place them outside the new city and how this is now the 3rd EP to do mostly with adult living and having a good time. Yet if you go to youtube, people are so overjoyed, if you go to reddit, people can't wait and I can't help but feel disappointed.

    I'm not blaming anyone for liking the game, however if EA can downsize everything, slow the development down and sell it like hot cakes, what will the next iteration be? Why spend time improving future products, if you can limit them down and still sell them?

    When you have game sites speculating sims 5 2 years into the sims 4, you know something is HORRIBLY wrong. I'll give the sims 4 one more year before they stop supporting the game. Sims 4 era is one I would like ERASED from my memory. This era has severely damaged my childhood memories of the sims franchise.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Return to top