The Modern Menswear Kit is available now! Picked it up? Head on over to the Screenshot thread to show off your new creations here
December 3rd - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!

the worst thing about City Living - it will sell like hot cakes

Comments

  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 2,252 Member
    CK213 wrote: »
    CK213 wrote: »
    For me TS2 was a better game.

    But that's an opinion that can be explained. A major trade that Sims 2 and Sims 3 did is that Sims 2 provided superior customization of your town, whereas Sims 3 traded that away for rabbit holes, but in exchange it got story progression and one giant interconnected town instead of lots and loading screens. It's understandable some would like Sims 2 better because if you enjoy customizing your town without having to access a create-a-world tool or the like, Sims 2 is superior.

    What? :D

    TS2 didn't even have a true town.
    It had a map. A 3D map. And yes, you could customize that map.
    It's only purpose was to serve a 3D file cabinet to choose the lot you want to play and give you a mental image of what your complete town should look like if it was an actual world you could travel through.

    Yeah, it's easier to create a representational map of a world that your sims will never travel through than it is to create an actual living world.
    I wouldn't even compare a 3D map maker with a world building tool.

    And what do rabbit holes have to do with trading away customization?
    Rabbit holes came about because creating an open world created a new problem with traditional careers. TS2 sims teleport to hidden rabbitholes when they go off to work. Why on earth would you have your sims teleport to an offscreen location or drive out of town in a world that is supposed to be open? They needed a physical location, but they weren't about to create Ambitions styled careers for all the base game careers, so the rabbit hole was created. All they did was give a physical location to something that used to be off-screen. That's a plus, not a negative.

    The only plum thing they did was to never make proper community lots out of some career rabbit holes: The grocery store, Spa, the book store, and the bistro. They were career lots, serving double duty as service lots, but simmers expect those to be community lots. That was an unfortunate decision for TS3. I don't mind rabbit holes as career lots, but they should not muddy things with making career/community hybrids.

    For some of us, it was a negative. When a Sim goes out of sight completely, it's a bit of "out of sight, out of mind" - they're just gone for a while now, while I focus on something else (another Sim or, if I'm playing a one-Sim household, trying to see if there's actually enough time to check my email before the workday is suddenly over). When a Sim goes into a Sims 3 rabbithole, it's more "Why are you not letting me in that building with them! You're telling me they're doing this thing, but I can't watch! I can only stare at the outside!" I hated that.

    I don't understand that.
    I see two different lot types. Career lots and community lots. Career lots you can't visit and community lots you can.
    Disappearing into thin air bothers me more than going off to a location. It would bother me more in an open world than it does in TS4 since continuity is broken anyway with loading screens.

    I agree with this so much . Most of the rabbit holes were career , they were n different from sims 2 . Except you can atleast make your sim have options on the job, or school.Which was a plus
  • ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member
    edited October 2016
    @mirta000 EA aren't going to change. If they weren't turning a profit they'd do away with the game and franchise. Simple as that. Also, they are satisfying people, just not you. You're not going to convince anybody to abandon the pack just because you find it unsatisfactory.
  • mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,969 Member
    Arletta wrote: »
    @mirta000 EA aren't going to change. If they weren't turning a profit they'd do away with the game and franchise. Simple as that.

    question is how much profit. With two studios, profit margin for TS3 was probably less than TS4. However they managed to put out two expansions a year and plenty store content. TS2 profit margin was also probably less than TS4. Both games gave more to the player. In order to maximize the profit you have to have the less development possible and sell it for the highest price you can. That's why a lot of successful titles will actually churn out profit, but not a huge one, because you have to put the money back into the game.
    The new thang that I do now is 100 baby challenge in The Sims 3 (it's my first time!)!


  • NellythekiddNellythekidd Posts: 251 Member
    Even if considered set dressing, I expect it to be a step up for me from TS3 apartments that were just individual living spaces sitting on top of a tall building with no unique interactions and no real neighbors. The neighbors' "apartments" were just a void in Bridgeport and you could only ring the doorbell to ask them to come out With CL the cosmetic overlay looks to be more convincing to me. In TS3 I found the apartments to be one of its most disappointing features (there could have been so much more!) but again, not everyone feels this way and in TS3 Late Night it wasn't made one of the main features.
    Origin ID / Gallery: nellythekidd
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,556 Member
    I don't think it will sell like hot cakes if the first impressions for the pack are not good. That's the way it's always been.

    I have many friends that haven't even bought TS4 on account of the "cuts/omissions" of the base game, let alone future packs. In fact, I didn't even get GTW until much later, when I found it for 20 dollars (and after playing the careers, I wouldn't say it's worth more than 5 dollars on a good day).
  • dreamprisonerdreamprisoner Posts: 1,208 Member
    I'm buying it because I'm truly excited about what it delivers. It may be my favourite EP yet. I still see its problems, but I'm not going to boy-cott something I actually want. The best thing to do is to ask for the ability to make apartments/ have npc roomates in a future EP, like university life.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 35,030 Member
    Arletta wrote: »
    After two years, I'm really bored of being told what my opinion about certain features not being in the game ought to be, and that I should be scared for the future. You know what? You don't get to dictate other people's preferences or opinions. And not everyone wants to buy the same game as we had before, with the same features, for another 5 years after doing it for 15 years before that. Because you know what? If everything returns that we had before? That's what you get. If they want to do that with Sims 5 so you can have your updated Sims 3 (or whatever version you prefer), you're welcome to it. I'm going to buy and enjoy a fresh game. And I'm so sick of being told I shouldn't want that.

    Then defend it. I just got done linking this and you apparently did not read it and did exactly what it says. Acknowledging that you're entitled to an opinion does nothing to address the criticisms raised or to defend aspects you like. Sure enough, your post is devoid of any concrete arguments or statements, failing to both counter any criticisms said and to actually defend your own stance.

    If you cannot defend your own stance, it's probably a bad stance. Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but some opinions are just bad opinions. If you cannot even explain why you like something or why a critic is wrong in a logical, coherent way...? You should probably reflect on why that is. I can already pick apart the post above:
    I'm going to buy and enjoy a fresh game.

    What is fresh about Sims 4?!? The only feature in Sims 4 that is entirely new to the Sims franchise is the clubs system of Get Together, but sadly that one relies on basegame features to support it; stick that feature in Sims 3 and I promise you it'd perform better since you can make clubs of Genies that banish sims from lots or clubs of Aliens that summon meteors. Sims 4 lacks actually gameplay content, so clubs remain the only new feature. That's it. Even the "revolutionary" moods system is more or less Sims 3 moodlets expanded to have a couple more dimensions to it, but even so Sims 3 had moodlets that were often more powerful or meaningful. (Death of a loved one activated new interactions, being cheated on meant automatic refusal of all romantic interactions and many negative interactions for friendy ones for it's duration, creeped out did the same, etc etc) It's already copying past iterations, it's just doing a terrible, half-complete job of it.

    Wanna do a comparison...? Within the first three expansions for Sims 2, the revolutionary features we got were university studies, commercial lots in their entirety (and cars), and owning and running a business. In the first three expansions for Sims 3, we got adventure quests, we got active careers for the first time, and then Late Night was actually sparse on content but Bridgeport did deliver the first "city" experience of it's kind, thus people overlooked the lack of features themselves. Sims 4...? We're coming in on expansion pack #3 and only one of those three has done something new.

    This is exactly why I'm gonna start putting that link everywhere: Empty "I'm entitled to my opinion" statements do nothing to actually justify said opinion. You just said Sims 4 is a "fresh game," but name no examples of how it's fresh at all. It's an empty, hollow compliment that isn't even deserved.

    And to be a broken record once more...? Consumer bias is a thing. There was an actual accredited study that showed consumers are often reluctant to admit the failures of a product they love or that they vouched for because it's subconciously registered as a personal failure and as evidence for one's own faults. Yes, I would propose that if someone cannot even justify their love of Sims 4 or their positive opinions of it and simply delivers "I'm entitled to my opinion" or "I just like it ok," then why on earth am I to believe you're not just being defensive because you like the Sims franchise? Being defensive and sweeping the problems under the rug solves nothing. Heck, it encourages EA to keep doing what they're doing because they see they can get away with it. Let's not kid ourselves: it's a faceless corporation. The exact same faceless corporation that withheld press copies on release when they realized they had a dud product on their hands, so as to ensure press reviews didn't lead to a loss in profit or people retracting their pre-orders. You give a faceless corporation room to get more money from you for less work? Yes, it will totally do it. That's not a critique of EA in particular, that's not a critique that extends to the personalities of it's individual workers, but it's absolutely the way the world works.

    You don't think we have, those of us who like the game? Defended it that is? Don't you think we've sat and we've said we like the liveliness of the sims, the way they interact with each other, the quests, especially in jobs (and I tend to get the LTW ones by accident rather than design) as it gives us a little bit of control over whether they reach the top of their career or not.

    We've been sat defending our opinion for two years. We've said all we can say and more besides. We've been told we're wrong for liking the game more times than I'd care to count. It got boring during the first year. It petered out. There's no point defending it, when all you're going to get told is you're wrong. It's been done. Now it's easier to say 'I like it, deal with it'.

    How strange that despite both existing since release day, somehow the critics aren't tired, but even when prompted and challenged, the fans still can't be bothered to defend it. It's as if that's a convenient excuse or something!!!

    The fans have been demanded to defend it, again and again, often by the same people as last time, for over two years now. I often wish those critics would get as tired of demanding that we defend it as we do of answering that defense. But they don't seem to get tired of making the same complaints for two years, instead of finding something else to do.

    Still, I'm done. I'll explain my opinions when I want to, not on demand. Fans do not owe you a defense.

    Demanded how? You came in this thread, a thread clearly criticizing City Life!! How the plum are you gonna come in a thread like this, post quoting me, and then act like I have the audacity to respond to a conversation you started??

    Is this a joke??

    And how is this "the same complaints?" The thread is about City Living!! It's an expansion pack we've only known about for about two months!!

    I'm sorry but face the music: your arguments here are poor. You're rewording the exact same fallacy. I'm not saying that to be a 🎁🎁🎁🎁, I'm saying that because if everyone just refuses to face criticism of the game, then there's no demand for improvement.

    Not playing, sorry. I'll explain my opinions when I want to, not on order. And you can stop ordering me to now.

    Dude that's ridiculous. You cannot go into a thread, start a conversation with someone, and then the moment they ask you to justify your claim, you act like the person is being outrageous and demanding things of you.

    You started speaking to me.
    If you cannot justify anything you say, don't say it.

    You claimed Sims 4 has new features that past iterations didn't. If you cannot justify that statement, don't say it. This isn't me being a 🎁🎁🎁🎁 for demanding that evidence, that's how the world works. A teacher will ask you to justify your claims, a voter will ask a politician to justify their claims, a customer hiring an electrician might want to hear evidence the electrician knows their stuff. A student that refuses to answer gets an F, a politician that can't provide evidence loses the election and a worker that can't showcase their expertise loses a customer.

    If you want to make whatever statement you want without ever having to justify it, then there's nothing stopping you from telling people Sims 4 lets you ride dragons (it doesn't) and nothing stopping me from claiming Sims 4 gives your computer malware and steals your credit card info. (it doesn't)

    People naturally demand that you justify claims made. If you cannot do that? Don't make such claims. If you cannot handle a debate? Don't purposefully go into a thread that clearly advertises itself as being upset with City Living, quote somebody and address them specifically, and then act like that person is outrageous when they respond to you. Nobody made you come in here, nobody made you start talking to me, nobody did any of that.

    Go on and be on your way if you don't wanna have this discussion, but don't act like this is somehow everyone else's fault and not your own. You're the one that started the conversation, you're the one that made baseless claims.

    I answered aspects I was interested in answering. End of story. Please feel free to put me on Ignore.
  • CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    To those who were discussing hopes for apartments and dorms, I made a thread in ideas: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/902617/byo-apartments-and-how-would-you-want-dorms-to-function @CK213 @Nellythekidd @stilljustme2 (sorry if I missed anyone)
  • shadowiciashadowicia Posts: 591 Member
    It will, agree. I for one am buying it, because I am just so needy for new content. But there are a lot of things I am not pleased with.
  • 12JEREMIA12JEREMIA Posts: 2,621 Member
    Even Hip hop does not appear, I think it'll be added to the patch future.
    My Sims 4 radio station wishlist
    Latin, Hip Hop, R&B, Reggae
    mxIqJU3.png
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 35,030 Member
    Neia wrote: »
    I would totally buy a Finance&Mortgage GP :D

    Me too! With a bank lot and a career, and more rental/mortgage options.

    Me three! I'd love to see mortgages and other loans in game - give us ways to make financial life harder, or to take a new kind of risk. This could be a pack that fits in a room rental system, too. And for visuals, you could have a gamut from "cheap rooming house" to "nouveau riche".
  • Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
    edited October 2016
    Even if considered set dressing, I expect it to be a step up for me from TS3 apartments that were just individual living spaces sitting on top of a tall building with no unique interactions and no real neighbors. The neighbors' "apartments" were just a void in Bridgeport and you could only ring the doorbell to ask them to come out With CL the cosmetic overlay looks to be more convincing to me. In TS3 I found the apartments to be one of its most disappointing features (there could have been so much more!) but again, not everyone feels this way and in TS3 Late Night it wasn't made one of the main features.

    Very true and I've had the same thoughts myself when debating buying this pack. The sad thing is it's one step forward in that direction and one step back in that I could place apartments in Sims 3 in any world I chose. So, in the end the improvements in 4 are washed about by something being taken away- my freeedom to decide for myself where they are located- and that is a running theme with this game since the start. It can't quite achieve what came before without dropping something along the way. And while it may move a step upward from where it has been a step can hardly be called epic or game changing but I've said it before and I'll say it again- enough people don't care and if they don't EA won't. So, there it is.
  • NellythekiddNellythekidd Posts: 251 Member
    Even if considered set dressing, I expect it to be a step up for me from TS3 apartments that were just individual living spaces sitting on top of a tall building with no unique interactions and no real neighbors. The neighbors' "apartments" were just a void in Bridgeport and you could only ring the doorbell to ask them to come out With CL the cosmetic overlay looks to be more convincing to me. In TS3 I found the apartments to be one of its most disappointing features (there could have been so much more!) but again, not everyone feels this way and in TS3 Late Night it wasn't made one of the main features.

    Very true and I've had the same thoughts myself when debating buying this pack. The sad thing is it's one step forward in that direction and one step back in that I could place apartments in Sims 3 in any world I chose. So, in the end the improvements in 4 are washed about by something being taken away- my freeedom to decide for myself where they are located- and that is a running theme with this game since the start. It can't quite achieve what came before without dropping something along the way. And while it may move a step upward from where it has been a step can hardly be called epic or game changing but I've said it before and I'll say it again- enough people don't care and if they don't EA won't. So, there it is.

    I agree! I would like to have the freedom to build from TS2 and TS4, and the apartment living features of TS2 and TS4. In addition to making small apartments, a tool for making high rises with shells should ideally also have been included. When I heard of the apartments I dreamed of having them in Newcrest. I was really disappointed when I first heard that it would not be possible and that I would not be able to make my existing apartment lots functional with the tools I expected this pack to have. There are lots of amazing apartment lots in the gallery! I still hope and expect to have tools for building small-scale apartments in the future. However I'm interested in what the experience of having a sim live in an apartment. From the trailer it looks they tried to make it feel different from living on a regular lot this time round. I liked that they made the apartment living a more central feature again and it's what won me over to give it a go. In TS2 living in an apartment was one of my favorite things and I miss it! :)
    Origin ID / Gallery: nellythekidd
  • NeiaNeia Posts: 4,189 Member
    @DeservedCriticism
    For me, there was a trade off with terrain tools actually. I gave up terrain tools (a feature I didn't use) for the gallery lot sharing (a feature I do use) and improved building tools (which I also use)

    @Nellythekidd
    I would like something like row houses. That's what I mostly built in TS2. It allows non-rectangular lots and more crazy shapes. Perhaps it could fit into some kind of CaW tool one day.
  • MrMonty96MrMonty96 Posts: 1,715 Member
    I like hot cakes. Nero do these muffin/teacake things called Panettone, they are like a fruit muffin but you can have them toasted and mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panettone

    I get that some people don't like Panettone, but we all have different tastes.

    #OffTopicOnTopic

    Panettone is soooo delicious!

    It really is! I've made myself want one now. :D

    Same. Mmmm. :p
  • OMGiLoveIceCreamOMGiLoveIceCream Posts: 603 Member
    After two years, I'm really bored of being told what my opinion about certain features not being in the game ought to be, and that I should be scared for the future. You know what? You don't get to dictate other people's preferences or opinions. And not everyone wants to buy the same game as we had before, with the same features, for another 5 years after doing it for 15 years before that. Because you know what? If everything returns that we had before? That's what you get. If they want to do that with Sims 5 so you can have your updated Sims 3 (or whatever version you prefer), you're welcome to it. I'm going to buy and enjoy a fresh game. And I'm so sick of being told I shouldn't want that.

    Then defend it. I just got done linking this and you apparently did not read it and did exactly what it says. Acknowledging that you're entitled to an opinion does nothing to address the criticisms raised or to defend aspects you like. Sure enough, your post is devoid of any concrete arguments or statements, failing to both counter any criticisms said and to actually defend your own stance.

    If you cannot defend your own stance, it's probably a bad stance. Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but some opinions are just bad opinions. If you cannot even explain why you like something or why a critic is wrong in a logical, coherent way...? You should probably reflect on why that is. I can already pick apart the post above:
    I'm going to buy and enjoy a fresh game.

    What is fresh about Sims 4?!? The only feature in Sims 4 that is entirely new to the Sims franchise is the clubs system of Get Together, but sadly that one relies on basegame features to support it; stick that feature in Sims 3 and I promise you it'd perform better since you can make clubs of Genies that banish sims from lots or clubs of Aliens that summon meteors. Sims 4 lacks actually gameplay content, so clubs remain the only new feature. That's it. Even the "revolutionary" moods system is more or less Sims 3 moodlets expanded to have a couple more dimensions to it, but even so Sims 3 had moodlets that were often more powerful or meaningful. (Death of a loved one activated new interactions, being cheated on meant automatic refusal of all romantic interactions and many negative interactions for friendy ones for it's duration, creeped out did the same, etc etc) It's already copying past iterations, it's just doing a terrible, half-complete job of it.

    Wanna do a comparison...? Within the first three expansions for Sims 2, the revolutionary features we got were university studies, commercial lots in their entirety (and cars), and owning and running a business. In the first three expansions for Sims 3, we got adventure quests, we got active careers for the first time, and then Late Night was actually sparse on content but Bridgeport did deliver the first "city" experience of it's kind, thus people overlooked the lack of features themselves. Sims 4...? We're coming in on expansion pack #3 and only one of those three has done something new.

    This is exactly why I'm gonna start putting that link everywhere: Empty "I'm entitled to my opinion" statements do nothing to actually justify said opinion. You just said Sims 4 is a "fresh game," but name no examples of how it's fresh at all. It's an empty, hollow compliment that isn't even deserved.

    And to be a broken record once more...? Consumer bias is a thing. There was an actual accredited study that showed consumers are often reluctant to admit the failures of a product they love or that they vouched for because it's subconciously registered as a personal failure and as evidence for one's own faults. Yes, I would propose that if someone cannot even justify their love of Sims 4 or their positive opinions of it and simply delivers "I'm entitled to my opinion" or "I just like it ok," then why on earth am I to believe you're not just being defensive because you like the Sims franchise? Being defensive and sweeping the problems under the rug solves nothing. Heck, it encourages EA to keep doing what they're doing because they see they can get away with it. Let's not kid ourselves: it's a faceless corporation. The exact same faceless corporation that withheld press copies on release when they realized they had a dud product on their hands, so as to ensure press reviews didn't lead to a loss in profit or people retracting their pre-orders. You give a faceless corporation room to get more money from you for less work? Yes, it will totally do it. That's not a critique of EA in particular, that's not a critique that extends to the personalities of it's individual workers, but it's absolutely the way the world works.

    None of us should have to defend our OPINIONS. We should defend our facts, but not OPINIONS. Like, seriously. Are you telling people that they have to defend their opinion or it is invalid? Some opinions are bad? If I can't defend why I like spaghetti more than steak, is it a bad opinion?
  • mortiamortia Posts: 1,155 Member
    Arletta wrote: »
    After two years, I'm really bored of being told what my opinion about certain features not being in the game ought to be, and that I should be scared for the future. You know what? You don't get to dictate other people's preferences or opinions. And not everyone wants to buy the same game as we had before, with the same features, for another 5 years after doing it for 15 years before that. Because you know what? If everything returns that we had before? That's what you get. If they want to do that with Sims 5 so you can have your updated Sims 3 (or whatever version you prefer), you're welcome to it. I'm going to buy and enjoy a fresh game. And I'm so sick of being told I shouldn't want that.

    Then defend it. I just got done linking this and you apparently did not read it and did exactly what it says. Acknowledging that you're entitled to an opinion does nothing to address the criticisms raised or to defend aspects you like. Sure enough, your post is devoid of any concrete arguments or statements, failing to both counter any criticisms said and to actually defend your own stance.

    If you cannot defend your own stance, it's probably a bad stance. Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but some opinions are just bad opinions. If you cannot even explain why you like something or why a critic is wrong in a logical, coherent way...? You should probably reflect on why that is. I can already pick apart the post above:
    I'm going to buy and enjoy a fresh game.

    What is fresh about Sims 4?!? The only feature in Sims 4 that is entirely new to the Sims franchise is the clubs system of Get Together, but sadly that one relies on basegame features to support it; stick that feature in Sims 3 and I promise you it'd perform better since you can make clubs of Genies that banish sims from lots or clubs of Aliens that summon meteors. Sims 4 lacks actually gameplay content, so clubs remain the only new feature. That's it. Even the "revolutionary" moods system is more or less Sims 3 moodlets expanded to have a couple more dimensions to it, but even so Sims 3 had moodlets that were often more powerful or meaningful. (Death of a loved one activated new interactions, being cheated on meant automatic refusal of all romantic interactions and many negative interactions for friendy ones for it's duration, creeped out did the same, etc etc) It's already copying past iterations, it's just doing a terrible, half-complete job of it.

    Wanna do a comparison...? Within the first three expansions for Sims 2, the revolutionary features we got were university studies, commercial lots in their entirety (and cars), and owning and running a business. In the first three expansions for Sims 3, we got adventure quests, we got active careers for the first time, and then Late Night was actually sparse on content but Bridgeport did deliver the first "city" experience of it's kind, thus people overlooked the lack of features themselves. Sims 4...? We're coming in on expansion pack #3 and only one of those three has done something new.

    This is exactly why I'm gonna start putting that link everywhere: Empty "I'm entitled to my opinion" statements do nothing to actually justify said opinion. You just said Sims 4 is a "fresh game," but name no examples of how it's fresh at all. It's an empty, hollow compliment that isn't even deserved.

    And to be a broken record once more...? Consumer bias is a thing. There was an actual accredited study that showed consumers are often reluctant to admit the failures of a product they love or that they vouched for because it's subconciously registered as a personal failure and as evidence for one's own faults. Yes, I would propose that if someone cannot even justify their love of Sims 4 or their positive opinions of it and simply delivers "I'm entitled to my opinion" or "I just like it ok," then why on earth am I to believe you're not just being defensive because you like the Sims franchise? Being defensive and sweeping the problems under the rug solves nothing. Heck, it encourages EA to keep doing what they're doing because they see they can get away with it. Let's not kid ourselves: it's a faceless corporation. The exact same faceless corporation that withheld press copies on release when they realized they had a dud product on their hands, so as to ensure press reviews didn't lead to a loss in profit or people retracting their pre-orders. You give a faceless corporation room to get more money from you for less work? Yes, it will totally do it. That's not a critique of EA in particular, that's not a critique that extends to the personalities of it's individual workers, but it's absolutely the way the world works.

    You don't think we have, those of us who like the game? Defended it that is? Don't you think we've sat and we've said we like the liveliness of the sims, the way they interact with each other, the quests, especially in jobs (and I tend to get the LTW ones by accident rather than design) as it gives us a little bit of control over whether they reach the top of their career or not.

    We've been sat defending our opinion for two years. We've said all we can say and more besides. We've been told we're wrong for liking the game more times than I'd care to count. It got boring during the first year. It petered out. There's no point defending it, when all you're going to get told is you're wrong. It's been done. Now it's easier to say 'I like it, deal with it'.

    How strange that despite both existing since release day, somehow the critics aren't tired, but even when prompted and challenged, the fans still can't be bothered to defend it. It's as if that's a convenient excuse or something!!!

    The fans have been demanded to defend it, again and again, often by the same people as last time, for over two years now. I often wish those critics would get as tired of demanding that we defend it as we do of answering that defense. But they don't seem to get tired of making the same complaints for two years, instead of finding something else to do.

    Still, I'm done. I'll explain my opinions when I want to, not on demand. Fans do not owe you a defense.

    Demanded how? You came in this thread, a thread clearly criticizing City Life!! How the plum are you gonna come in a thread like this, post quoting me, and then act like I must have some nerve to respond to you after you quoted me and you started speaking with me?

    Is this a joke??

    And how is this "the same complaints?" The thread is about City Living!! It's an expansion pack we've only known about for about two months!!

    I'm sorry but face the music: your arguments here are poor. You're rewording the exact same fallacy. I'm not saying that to be a 🎁🎁🎁🎁, I'm saying that because if everyone just refuses to face criticism of the game, then there's no demand for improvement.

    Wow, thank you. I cannot agree enough with this sentiment and ALL of your posts in this thread.
  • bunny-gypsybunny-gypsy Posts: 3,789 Member
    edited October 2016
    Hello everyone.

    Please remember that you should not demand that people defend their opinions. If a person likes the game and wants to elaborate then that is their choice, same goes for those who dislike the game or are indifferent. They do not need to justify their experiences to you. If they feel like providing feedback they are free to do so and I've even outlined a great way to provide feedback: forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/15289150/#Comment_15289150.

    The only instance where someone needs to add clarity is if they are providing statistics, any kind of numbers, or supposed statements from Studio Members as you shouldn't make comments on stuff like that without something to back up the statement.

    The forums are a place for everyone to provide their thoughts / opinions / feedback on the game as well as share stories / builds / and other creations. It is not a place to tell those who enjoy the game that it is their fault that you don't or demanding that we cater to any particular person / play-style. Be open, constructive, and inclusive - do not be dismissive and hostile.

    Thanks!

    Thank you so much! :smile:

    We shouldn't need to justify why we like or dislike something or a subjective opinion (and we shouldn't be forced to, either).

    It's just a game.

    There are living human people on this forum, and everyone should be respected.
    ~*~Long live all the family play!~*~
  • NellythekiddNellythekidd Posts: 251 Member
    Neia wrote: »
    @Nellythekidd
    I would like something like row houses. That's what I mostly built in TS2. It allows non-rectangular lots and more crazy shapes. Perhaps it could fit into some kind of CaW tool one day.

    I would like row houses too! Row houses look really cute to me and they would fit in suburbs as well as a bit more urban area.
    Origin ID / Gallery: nellythekidd
  • TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    Neia wrote: »
    @Nellythekidd
    I would like something like row houses. That's what I mostly built in TS2. It allows non-rectangular lots and more crazy shapes. Perhaps it could fit into some kind of CaW tool one day.

    I would like row houses too! Row houses look really cute to me and they would fit in suburbs as well as a bit more urban area.

    On one lot, or are we talking about small lots right next to each other? And before you maybe nay-say the latter, that would allow for small venues/malls too. :)
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • NellythekiddNellythekidd Posts: 251 Member
    Neia wrote: »
    @Nellythekidd
    I would like something like row houses. That's what I mostly built in TS2. It allows non-rectangular lots and more crazy shapes. Perhaps it could fit into some kind of CaW tool one day.

    I would like row houses too! Row houses look really cute to me and they would fit in suburbs as well as a bit more urban area.

    On one lot, or are we talking about small lots right next to each other? And before you maybe nay-say the latter, that would allow for small venues/malls too. :)

    I had in mind one lot, but the idea of small lots placed next to each other sounds like a good idea for a tool as well! However I'm not at all familiar with world-editing tools, my only experience is placing lots on a world in TS2. :D
    Origin ID / Gallery: nellythekidd
  • NevillsNevills Posts: 505 Member
    edited October 2016
    Holy plumming cow. Reading some of these threads is like watching the presidential debates. I feel that I can't express how I feel about this EP because if I do, I'll be attacked and demanded to defend to my position.

    Eh, Plum it!

    I'm super excited for this EP. I love the look of the city, I'm excited about the apartments (and as a non-builder, I don't care about being able to build my own), and I can't wait for festivals.

    Okay, now you can demand that I defend my opinion. I won't, but go ahead and make your demands.
    I'm a WoW playing, Doctor Who watching, Harry Potter reading, fan fiction writing simmer who is without a doubt a geek (and sometimes a super hero).

    My wishlist
  • Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
    Nevills wrote: »
    Holy plumming cow. Reading some of these threads is like watching the presidential debates. I feel that I can't express how I feel about this EP because if I do, I'll be attacked and demanded to defend to my position.

    Eh, Plum it!

    I'm super excited for this EP. I love the look of the city, I'm excited about the apartments (and as a non-builder, I don't care about being able to build my own), and I can't wait for festivals.

    Okay, now you can demand that I defend my opinion. I won't, but go ahead and make your demands.

    LOL- that's gonna be the new forum statement for the next week- ha ha! I'm going to be curious to see though, all these people who don't like building and as a consequence don't care about it in CL are going to be surprised when they find themselves stuck with the EA/Maxis premades. A lot of people who don't build (can't/don't like it) turn to the gallery for homes and decor BUT a builder can't upload the pre-made apartments that they've decorated under this new system leaving the non-builder player to do their own or settle for what Maxis has done for them. Now, I'm sure there will be a flurry of "I don't care" and "I never use the gallery either" statements but I do wonder how people will feel about that after the fact.
  • SimGuruDrakeSimGuruDrake Posts: 1,648 SimGuru (retired)
    Nevills wrote: »
    Holy plumming cow. Reading some of these threads is like watching the presidential debates. I feel that I can't express how I feel about this EP because if I do, I'll be attacked and demanded to defend to my position.

    Eh, Plum it!

    I'm super excited for this EP. I love the look of the city, I'm excited about the apartments (and as a non-builder, I don't care about being able to build my own), and I can't wait for festivals.

    Okay, now you can demand that I defend my opinion. I won't, but go ahead and make your demands.

    LOL- that's gonna be the new forum statement for the next week- ha ha! I'm going to be curious to see though, all these people who don't like building and as a consequence don't care about it in CL are going to be surprised when they find themselves stuck with the EA/Maxis premades. A lot of people who don't build (can't/don't like it) turn to the gallery for homes and decor BUT a builder can't upload the pre-made apartments that they've decorated under this new system leaving the non-builder player to do their own or settle for what Maxis has done for them. Now, I'm sure there will be a flurry of "I don't care" and "I never use the gallery either" statements but I do wonder how people will feel about that after the fact.

    Wanted to jump in on this comment:

    Anyone can upload any of the rooms they create in the apartment to the gallery. There is no apartment filter as each apartment layout is different in shape and size but if you had (for instance) a studio apartment you can upload that to the gallery.

    So, technically, people can still use the stuff that room builders make :)
    Global Community Manager for Maxis / The Sims
Sign In or Register to comment.
Return to top