July 27th - Bug Fixes! Catch up on the fixes with the latest patch click here
Sul sul Simmers! Join us for the Inside Maxis Livestream HERE today, August 3rd, @11 AM PT / 6 PM UTC! 🎉
July 30th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!

the worst thing about City Living - it will sell like hot cakes

1131415161719...Next

Comments

  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,022 Member
    Sara1010P wrote: »
    Casual players are used to getting blamed for games not meeting the elite gamers standards in just about every game out there. It is almost laughable that anyone actually refers to any simmer as casual though. I hear that term a lot in MMOs. But most gamers I know(the ones that play those MMOs and other hard core video games like the Dark Soul series games) don't even consider simmers real gamers. I don't agree with this mind you, but it is a mindset I see often. I actually get tickled every time someone on here comments about it being mostly casual gamers who like Sims 4. I myself play many different games. I have been playing the Sims series since Sims 2. I still enjoy playing the Sims 4, I am sorry that it doesn't meet some players expectations, but I am not going to stop enjoying a game I like just because it doesn't met their standards. If that makes me a casual in their eyes then hey, that is ok, cause I have been considered that for many years in many other games by so called elitist gamers anyway, I see no reason to let it bother me now.

    I've been playing Sims games since I loaded up the Aspyr port of the original The Sims on my clamshell iBook. I enjoy Sims 4, even while recognizing the limitations. Open world was a mess for a lot of players -- how many people were like me and had to abandon saves because there was no way to incorporate new content into current saves? How many saves were lost to game bloat and Error Code 12s before we were rescued by the incredibly talented Twallan and his suite of mods?

    I admit it -- I'm not a hardcore "gamer". Games like Dark Souls or GTA or The Culling don't really appeal to me (I have watched friends play them on Twitch streams). Probably the most "hardcore" I'll get will be if I ever manage to understand Civilization VI. Sims 4 is my escape valve -- in a world where I feel like I have little to no control over what happens, Sims 4 gives me a chance to control at least something in my existence even if its only "digital Barbies". :|
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    edited October 2016
    Schantal wrote: »
    So you think their opinion is wrong? I think City Living looks amazing, are you saying I'm wrong for thinking that way, or does only your opinion matter? Do you think everyone should feel the way do?

    Festivals are not 99% main game stuff, don't know where you got that percentage at.

    I don't know where you saw young adult living it up gameplay, I saw apartments, city living and stuff like festivals for the family, bubble blowing, basket ball and video game playing for my teens etc.

    The fact of the matter is that if all these people are eating it up and it sells like hot cakes, then you're not in the majority and you shouldn't be upset that others like it.

    Did you just purposely not read what the OP wrote? This is a direct quote "I'm not blaming anyone for liking the game" so where exactly did they blame you? They literally said they AREN'T blaming anyone. They are 100% right, this game is not up to par with other games in 2016, almost 2017. Look at GTA V an almost 4 year old game and Rockstar is making a killing because they listen to their customers. Red Dead Redemption is an almost SEVEN year old game and Rockstar announced the Prequel on TWITTER which is unheard of and it created a ridiculous amount of buzz because they actually put effort into their games. EA has a HUGE budget so that isn't an excuse. The makers of Witcher 3 (a GOTY winner by the way) is made by a TINY studio with a very small budget and yet it is one of the most massive, content packed games to date.......the issue with this company are people who are relatively new to the franchise settling for everything this company puts out. Its also another reason why Sims 4 has NO awards and is regarded as the least innovative of all its predecessors......

    Even though the OP didn't say it, I WILL say it, yes, it is the casual gamers fault because this game could be GREAT and those of us who have been here for almost 17 years have seen this franchise go downhill because people settle for whatever. This is a HUGE problem with casual players (the majority of people who like Sims 4 are casual players that play nothing else) and so they have nothing to compare it to and think this is normal for a developer.....well, as the wife and sister of Devs, I can tell you its not. If anyone would be on the Devs side it's me, having a husband and a brother that work for Ken Levine studio (makers of Bioshock series). Even I am saying this is not good and what they are doing isn't good. This why Rachel is GONE and many of the old Devs have left the company.

    EA is notorious for overworking their employees, giving ridiculous deadlines, and releasing games that aren't up to par. There have been several smaller Devs screwed over by EA when EA has been their publisher, a quick Google search will show you that.

    So the reason the product is getting worse is because casual players keep buying it? but wouldn't that make long time Simmers equally at fault for buying it? Are you still buying it?

    Is the idea here we should all agree not to buy it, and re-educate the casual player (or anyone else who likes it) that they shouldn't buy it either? I'm not following.
    Post edited by Uzone27 on
  • Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 605 Member
    Sara1010P wrote: »
    Casual players are used to getting blamed for games not meeting the elite gamers standards in just about every game out there. It is almost laughable that anyone actually refers to any simmer as casual though. I hear that term a lot in MMOs. But most gamers I know(the ones that play those MMOs and other hard core video games like the Dark Soul series games) don't even consider simmers real gamers. I don't agree with this mind you, but it is a mindset I see often. I actually get tickled every time someone on here comments about it being mostly casual gamers who like Sims 4. I myself play many different games. I have been playing the Sims series since Sims 2. I still enjoy playing the Sims 4, I am sorry that it doesn't meet some players expectations, but I am not going to stop enjoying a game I like just because it doesn't met their standards. If that makes me a casual in their eyes then hey, that is ok, cause I have been considered that for many years in many other games by so called elitist gamers anyway, I see no reason to let it bother me now.

    I've been playing Sims games since I loaded up the Aspyr port of the original The Sims on my clamshell iBook. I enjoy Sims 4, even while recognizing the limitations. Open world was a mess for a lot of players -- how many people were like me and had to abandon saves because there was no way to incorporate new content into current saves? How many saves were lost to game bloat and Error Code 12s before we were rescued by the incredibly talented Twallan and his suite of mods?

    I admit it -- I'm not a hardcore "gamer". Games like Dark Souls or GTA or The Culling don't really appeal to me (I have watched friends play them on Twitch streams). Probably the most "hardcore" I'll get will be if I ever manage to understand Civilization VI. Sims 4 is my escape valve -- in a world where I feel like I have little to no control over what happens, Sims 4 gives me a chance to control at least something in my existence even if its only "digital Barbies". :|

    Yeah, I have had more than one friend on other games say I was playing digital Barbies when they find out I like the Sims games. I just laugh. I am going to enjoy what I enjoy regardless of what other people think.
  • PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,592 Member
    Uzone27 wrote: »
    Schantal wrote: »
    So you think their opinion is wrong? I think City Living looks amazing, are you saying I'm wrong for thinking that way, or does only your opinion matter? Do you think everyone should feel the way do?

    Festivals are not 99% main game stuff, don't know where you got that percentage at.

    I don't know where you saw young adult living it up gameplay, I saw apartments, city living and stuff like festivals for the family, bubble blowing, basket ball and video game playing for my teens etc.

    The fact of the matter is that if all these people are eating it up and it sells like hot cakes, then you're not in the majority and you shouldn't be upset that others like it.

    Did you just purposely not read what the OP wrote? This is a direct quote "I'm not blaming anyone for liking the game" so where exactly did they blame you? They literally said they AREN'T blaming anyone. They are 100% right, this game is not up to par with other games in 2016, almost 2017. Look at GTA V an almost 4 year old game and Rockstar is making a killing because they listen to their customers. Red Dead Redemption is an almost SEVEN year old game and Rockstar announced the Prequel on TWITTER which is unheard of and it created a ridiculous amount of buzz because they actually put effort into their games. EA has a HUGE budget so that isn't an excuse. The makers of Witcher 3 (a GOTY winner by the way) is made by a TINY studio with a very small budget and yet it is one of the most massive, content packed games to date.......the issue with this company are people who are relatively new to the franchise settling for everything this company puts out. Its also another reason why Sims 4 has NO awards and is regarded as the least innovative of all its predecessors......

    Even though the OP didn't say it, I WILL say it, yes, it is the casual gamers fault because this game could be GREAT and those of us who have been here for almost 17 years have seen this franchise go downhill because people settle for whatever. This is a HUGE problem with casual players (the majority of people who like Sims 4 are casual players that play nothing else) and so they have nothing to compare it to and think this is normal for a developer.....well, as the wife and sister of Devs, I can tell you its not. If anyone would be on the Devs side it's me, having a husband and a brother that work for Ken Levine studio (makers of Bioshock series). Even I am saying this is not good and what they are doing isn't good. This why Rachel is GONE and many of the old Devs have left the company.

    EA is notorious for overworking their employees, giving ridiculous deadlines, and releasing games that aren't up to par. There have been several smaller Devs screwed over by EA when EA has been their publisher, a quick Google search will show you that.

    So the reason the product is getting worse is because casual players keep buying it? but wouldn't that make long time Simmers equally at fault for buying it? Are you still buying it?

    Is the idea here we should all agree not to buy it, and re-educate the casual player (or anyone else who likes it) that they shouldn't buy it either? I'm not following.

    I think that the players who buy just because it's The Sims and it's a habit should think about it. I also think that the players who buy because they think eventually it will help to buy more content should think about it....or the players who know they are going to be bored shortly after they install new content.

    I don't think that there is a thing wrong with buying more content if a player truly loves the game and the content interests them but I also think that there are a lot of people buying for the wrong reasons. EA doesn't care why you buy......they just want you to buy and if you buy something ....just because.....it sends EA the wrong message.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • DegrassiGenDegrassiGen Posts: 2,168 Member
    Uzone27 wrote: »
    Schantal wrote: »
    So you think their opinion is wrong? I think City Living looks amazing, are you saying I'm wrong for thinking that way, or does only your opinion matter? Do you think everyone should feel the way do?

    Festivals are not 99% main game stuff, don't know where you got that percentage at.

    I don't know where you saw young adult living it up gameplay, I saw apartments, city living and stuff like festivals for the family, bubble blowing, basket ball and video game playing for my teens etc.

    The fact of the matter is that if all these people are eating it up and it sells like hot cakes, then you're not in the majority and you shouldn't be upset that others like it.

    Did you just purposely not read what the OP wrote? This is a direct quote "I'm not blaming anyone for liking the game" so where exactly did they blame you? They literally said they AREN'T blaming anyone. They are 100% right, this game is not up to par with other games in 2016, almost 2017. Look at GTA V an almost 4 year old game and Rockstar is making a killing because they listen to their customers. Red Dead Redemption is an almost SEVEN year old game and Rockstar announced the Prequel on TWITTER which is unheard of and it created a ridiculous amount of buzz because they actually put effort into their games. EA has a HUGE budget so that isn't an excuse. The makers of Witcher 3 (a GOTY winner by the way) is made by a TINY studio with a very small budget and yet it is one of the most massive, content packed games to date.......the issue with this company are people who are relatively new to the franchise settling for everything this company puts out. Its also another reason why Sims 4 has NO awards and is regarded as the least innovative of all its predecessors......

    Even though the OP didn't say it, I WILL say it, yes, it is the casual gamers fault because this game could be GREAT and those of us who have been here for almost 17 years have seen this franchise go downhill because people settle for whatever. This is a HUGE problem with casual players (the majority of people who like Sims 4 are casual players that play nothing else) and so they have nothing to compare it to and think this is normal for a developer.....well, as the wife and sister of Devs, I can tell you its not. If anyone would be on the Devs side it's me, having a husband and a brother that work for Ken Levine studio (makers of Bioshock series). Even I am saying this is not good and what they are doing isn't good. This why Rachel is GONE and many of the old Devs have left the company.

    EA is notorious for overworking their employees, giving ridiculous deadlines, and releasing games that aren't up to par. There have been several smaller Devs screwed over by EA when EA has been their publisher, a quick Google search will show you that.

    So the reason the product is getting worse is because casual players keep buying it? but wouldn't that make long time Simmers equally at fault for buying it? Are you still buying it?

    Is the idea here we should all agree not to buy it, and re-educate the casual player (or anyone else who likes it) that they shouldn't buy it either? I'm not following.

    I think that the players who buy just because it's The Sims and it's a habit should think about it. I also think that the players who buy because they think eventually it will help to buy more content should think about it....or the players who know they are going to be bored shortly after they install new content.

    I don't think that there is a thing wrong with buying more content if a player truly loves the game and the content interests them but I also think that there are a lot of people buying for the wrong reasons. EA doesn't care why you buy......they just want you to buy and if you buy something ....just because.....it sends EA the wrong message.

    Yeah it tells them to keep their products half baked, keep Sims happy with musical chairs, and to keep giving us so many stuff packs that by 2018 the number of stuff packs we suffered through will match the teen pregnancy rate. That's a lot of....stuff....
  • momboqueenmomboqueen Posts: 1,720 Member
    The players will buy it some because they love this version and others because it's been so long since an EP has been released. I am in the second category if I purchase. It's not a bad game it's just not a really good game at least for me.
  • marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,291 Member
    MissCherie wrote: »
    MissCherie wrote: »
    dreita95 wrote: »
    MissCherie wrote: »
    What I find sad is that people don't learn and they are so desperate for more content that they don't have any standards anymore, people will accept anything as long as they get more content even if it's nothing ''new''.

    When they announced the Backyard stuff pack (before getting any info about it), people (rightly) complained that we already had stuff like that, that we already got Perfect Patio stuff pack and Romantic Garden stuff pack which are both pretty much outside/backyard stuff and then Backyard would be the ''third'' one and when I saw people complaining I though ''finally people are learning that we are allowed to expect more, we are allowed to want new and original stuff'', but what did happen? As soon as people saw the water slide everyone lost their brain and got crazy asking EA to take their money cause ''OMG A WATER SLIDE!!!!1''... Really? Why people go crazy on ONE item that isn't even new to the game series?

    So if people act like that for a stuff pack then with City Living it will be even worse. People act like it was new and super original while almost everything in that pack is déjà vu, apartments are nothing new, yes it can seems cool to be able to interact with the neighbors, but with the current culling issue good luck enjoying the features that include having relations with your neighbors. The culling issue is already frustrating as it is, it will just become even more of an issue in City Living with the neighbors interactions.

    The festivals? We had those in the Sims 3 and from what's have seen today in the stream there's nothing to be excited or impressed about, all they did at the Geek con festival was play games and go to space in a rocket ship, things we can already do, oh and buy stuff from a npc, how original. The Spice festival is pretty much just buying and eating food and I bet the romance festival will just be about flirting, I'm pretty sure the romance guru will have no impact in the game, even if he says you won't find love anytime soon how much you bet you can get a date right away and get marry the same night? So what will the guru really do? Affect your mood by giving ''fake'' good or bad news?

    The lot traits are maybe a new system, true, but honestly we already have 500 ways to change our sims' moods, did we really need an other way to do it? And the lot traits that look interesting sounds like they won't do much, like the earthquake one, will it break stuff in your apart or maybe even hurt/kill sims or again it will just give a bad mood to your sims if they experience it? (pretty sure it's just about the mood once again and that it won't affect the game other than that)

    We get one skill which is singing (basketball is tied to the fitness skill), I'm not saying it shouldn't be in the game, but honestly it's not the most useful skill, you can't even use it in a career (I doubt you need it to be a politician, critic or social media), but it can be used to affect other sims mood (yup AGAIN, not like we had already 500 ways to do it), one new aspiration that looks like a mix of the social aspirations we already have and two traits that honestly doesn't fit City Living and should be added in the base game in a patch. There so many other traits that would have fit way better, like Diva, it would have fit the City Ling theme way much more than vegetarian (not saying vegetarian is a bad trait, but honestly adding it in the base game would have been fine).

    So what's really new and original in that expansion pack? What's something we can say we never saw and will add real gameplay? Nothing, but the OP is right, people will buy it no matter what. People won't buy it cause it's an amazing pack, people will buy it cause they are desperate for more content and it's the third expansion pack in two years, the pack could have been anything else and people would have bought it just to get more content, without realizing that's it's empty content and worse than that people started to pre-order it without even knowing what was in the pack exactly.

    It's just sad, cause I'm sure a lot people will buy it just cause it's a ''new'' expansion pack, while it's not even anything they really wanted for the game.

    Will you have the same opinion if we get Generations,Pets or Seasons? Because those aren't new to the series either.

    City Living is supposed to be new, but offer old stuff (from the previous games and the base game), a lot of people compare it to Late Night, but way less content, my issue is not that it's just old stuff cause it was in the Sims 3, it's that a lot of stuff are already in the base game as well, the humour festival is basically you drink tea, and then do mischievous actions over and over again, that's something already in game, beside snow globes and a talking toilet there's nothing I can say is new in City Living.

    So to answer your question if they would be doing those 3 packs and do it the same exact way than in the Sims 3 yes I would have the same opinion, the point of a new game shouldn't be to be an exact copy of the previous games, keep the best from those older features, but add new ones too and not something from the base game.

    What do you mean "it's supposed to be new?" Did they advertise every single thing in this pack as "completely new?" Or did they promise this at some point a while ago? And shouldn't packs use the BG features if available, since they need to enhance those as well, and not just completely leave them untouched for the rest of the lifespan?

    And the reason people are comparing it to Late Night is, of course, both of them are packs in cities! Why wouldn't they? That's a fun pastime of people on here. And I've seen people who were saying the CL is Late Night but with actual refined content, saying that, while Late Night had a lot of features, they were not pulled off well at all (e.g. Celebrity System, Actual worse apartments than ones in CL, dead "hotspots," etc.)

    I would expect something new more than just snow globes and a talking toilet and the rest being recycle from the base game or previous games.

    Who needs toddlers, seasons, pets or university then? Out with the old, in with the new!

    I agree with you!

    I know right lol.

    of course will always get things remade.
    that to me is one of the points of playing the newer versions.

    I mean for example, look at how pets in TS3 improved, and we even got fully fledged horses in it, creating pets tools improved and we got more breeds, caged pets.
    it was such a step up from TS1/TS2 pets.
    old and new.



    I want to see remakes, like they were but better with more than we got from them before.


    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon


  • CK213CK213 Posts: 19,169 Member
    BreeSasha wrote: »
    I think it's unfair to compare TS4 CL to TS2 or TS3 iterations of apartments. It's a completely different game. Yes, it goes on the same premise that these "sims" live lives that we control and you can make stories and generations out of these characters. But the game isn't the same. I enjoyed The Sims 4 Get To Work although it wasn't like The Sims 3 Ambitions or The Sims 2 Open for Business. Open for Business was amazing, I loved having my simmies craft toys or bake goods to sell, but Get To Work gave me a hybrid of features I liked and introduced it to some new features. Like owning a store outside of my home where I can set the hours that it's open, have my entire family live in it, and work it. I like being able to play as a doctor, scientist, or police officer, and I see how each patch has fixed different bugs and made the game more enjoyable. I like that TS4 has "game packs" instead of simply "stuff packs", it enriches how my simmies live. I loved the Spa game pack. I love the interconnected worlds of The Sims 4, where I can go from one to another without a lot of difficulty and it's not a lot of loading.

    I think people have to stop comparing TS4 to any previous version of the Sims, even if the expansion pack "theme" seems similar or familiar to something else. Give TS4 CL a chance on it's own.

    I disagree.
    The differences are minor and the games are very comparable.

    Completely different games to me are The Sims: Life Stories, My Sims, The Sims: Medieval, and The Sims: Free Play.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,291 Member
    BreeSasha wrote: »
    I think it's unfair to compare TS4 CL to TS2 or TS3 iterations of apartments. It's a completely different game. Yes, it goes on the same premise that these "sims" live lives that we control and you can make stories and generations out of these characters. But the game isn't the same. I enjoyed The Sims 4 Get To Work although it wasn't like The Sims 3 Ambitions or The Sims 2 Open for Business. Open for Business was amazing, I loved having my simmies craft toys or bake goods to sell, but Get To Work gave me a hybrid of features I liked and introduced it to some new features. Like owning a store outside of my home where I can set the hours that it's open, have my entire family live in it, and work it. I like being able to play as a doctor, scientist, or police officer, and I see how each patch has fixed different bugs and made the game more enjoyable. I like that TS4 has "game packs" instead of simply "stuff packs", it enriches how my simmies live. I loved the Spa game pack. I love the interconnected worlds of The Sims 4, where I can go from one to another without a lot of difficulty and it's not a lot of loading.

    I think people have to stop comparing TS4 to any previous version of the Sims, even if the expansion pack "theme" seems similar or familiar to something else. Give TS4 CL a chance on it's own.


    HI :)

    I am sorry, and I mean no offence but,

    how about stop trying to tell people what to do.
    I understand we all have our own opinions in regards to this game and the past ones.
    but you can't go around telling people what to post related to this game and the others.
    why is it unfair?
    because comparing the game, feedback are one of the reasons for this forum. that includes both good and bad.

    its part of the main sims franchise. of course it will get compared to the past games. its not a spin off or a completely new game, hence the name TS4.
    its a sequel with some of the even original parts included,


    example

    some of the content
    skills
    jobs
    traits
    needs

    and so on,
    these things all came in the past games after all

    it will always be compared to the others, its a sequel after all.


    people have every right to compare it and just because people don't like others comparing games don't matter in that case, its his/her choice to post it regardless.













    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon


  • DawnTheWaffleDawnTheWaffle Posts: 1 New Member
    The romance guru is a ❤️❤️❤️❤️ I don't trust him lol
    I made a gay couple and he said their destiny was gonna be terrible
    So I did a little experiment...
    I changed one of the guy's genders to a girl and then i asked him again about the destiny
    This time he was like "Oh my god you two are perfect for each other"
    Don't trust the romance guru >:I
  • BrownGamerGurl1BrownGamerGurl1 Posts: 1,136 Member
    I like sims 4 10 x more than sims 3 , because of the art style/graphics, gallery and advanced features. But that is not the reason why I like city living. It's not perfect, but I think San Myshuno is beautiful and it's very vibrant. The food vendors and the street performers and the entertainment options.Then there are the cool pre-mades. Basketball! I love the baskbetball.

    City Living, while not perfect , is a fine addition to Sims 4 if you ask me <3
  • Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    Whoever necro'd this thread is boss...enlightening reading. B)
  • alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,198 Member
    I like sims 4 10 x more than sims 3 , because of the art style/graphics, gallery and advanced features. But that is not the reason why I like city living. It's not perfect, but I think San Myshuno is beautiful and it's very vibrant. The food vendors and the street performers and the entertainment options.Then there are the cool pre-mades. Basketball! I love the baskbetball.

    City Living, while not perfect , is a fine addition to Sims 4 if you ask me <3

    I completely agree with you! I wasn't excited for City Living but it grew on me so much. It adds so much to the ambience of my game.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Return to top