Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

the worst thing about City Living - it will sell like hot cakes

Comments

• MissCherieMissCherie Posts: 408 Member
    Some have given up on seeing fixes for what annoys them the most, others have given up on seeing major changes to the game play that annoys them while quite a few have of course given up on waiting for toddlers.

Last stream during the Spice festival there was musical chair going on, I can't believe that after two year something like that haven't being fixed. It's something that personally bother me and at that point I don't think they even care about fixing it, like honestly I would not mind if they skip one stuff pack and use that time on fixing issues in the base game, issues like the musical chair, sims that will go sit when you tell them to clean the books or put away food, sims that take 2-3 hours eating, sims that stand up doing nothing during an action (like cooking, but anything really), there's a LOT of things that need fixing, some of them are there since day 1, the game have now more than 2 years and those issues are still there.

I personally don't use mods or CC, but I heard that some players did made mods fixing musical chair for example, I don't want to sound insulting or rude, but how come players can fix it while a company can't? To me it just show that they clearly don't care, they spend months/years on packs, but no time on fixing the game, that show where their priorities are.

gCQKjq4.png
  • CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    @Rowlena_Lauchenbaum Thank you for confirming the features you'd like for apartments in the future, I copied the comment here to keep the apartment suggestions together in one place: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/902617/byo-apartments-and-how-would-you-want-dorms-to-function. I think having separate or individual accounts for Sims would solve a lot of issues with what we can already do, so that's a priority for me.

I think your theory sounds probable, it seems that way to me too: that developing a new feature takes a lot of time, but then that functionality exists to make use of again in the future. And I'm happy for them to build onto existing programming, like how we got a few extra features for businesses with Dine Out that like stopping new customers entering when we're ready to close, and like how they seem to have added a third way of playing with careers. I do hope they build on apartments too. There are a lot of features that I think could work well in other ways. But I hope they backwards engineer things as well: I'd love work from home options for existing careers too; and I'd like the customer thing to be added to retail.

I don't know if that made much sense, I've just got in from work and I'm all sleepy-headed. :(

• marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    edited October 2016
    mirta000 wrote: »
    I can't help but feel underwhelmed by the expansion. I don't like how festivals are pretty much 99% main game stuff, how apartments are not buildable at all and you can't place them outside the new city and how this is now the 3rd EP to do mostly with adult living and having a good time. Yet if you go to youtube, people are so overjoyed, if you go to reddit, people can't wait and I can't help but feel disappointed.

I'm not blaming anyone for liking the game, however if EA can downsize everything, slow the development down and sell it like hot cakes, what will the next iteration be? Why spend time improving future products, if you can limit them down and still sell them?

I do feel very underwhelmed with apartments in this game, not being able to build them, place anywhere or you can't visit your neighbour :s
    or even share an apartment anymore.

in those areas its one of the worse EP ever in the sims series for me.

the festivals look great, more worried about if I can use all items from them in another town tho :#

from what I see the packs themes are from all ages apart from newborns, not just YA.

oh I understand, they have done nothing but place cuts and options none stop with every pack for this game

less life stages/life states
    no create a pattern/style tool
    no open world
    no create a world
    no world editor
    no home business
    less active careers
    less NPC
    Basic retail
    smaller worlds
    no proper working restaurants, bars, cafes
    no super market
    no book store
    no apartment building

so yes I understand you but if people want to continue buying even with continued cuts and restrictions we still have then its his/her will to do so.

I wish they made the game better but they don't need to now, they have gotten away with so many cuts, even still now with apartments. that they know people will buy it no matter how cheaply they did the packs.

because that's what the sims 4 is a cheap version of the sims with less of everything but still popular for some

the biggest thing in a sims 4 expansion pack seems to be the large number of content lol, we always get small hoods less options and tools

all the new things that come to the sims 4 are brilliant but a lot of the old stuff missing or done cheaply or had cuts spoil it at times.

still I like the pack if I keep away from the apartments

Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Did anyone noticed that they seem to have yanked the exchange between @friendlysimmers and myself? Really? With all the outright horrible and even abusive posts on this topic and all over these boards they pull the lighthearted one. SMH Well, no matter I am still waiting for laundry. It's the little things in a game about life that make it real. We still share that.

I still think laundry could work in a Bed and Bath Stuff Pack, that would add a few more reasonably priced beds that aren't super-uncomfortable, maybe another bath/shower combo with coordinting shower and sink (similar color palette), some more decor items, and laundry as the premium gameplay item -- maybe one cheapy set that breaks a lot and one higher-quality set, with the ability to upgrade them.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    marcel21 wrote: »
    I can't help but feel underwhelmed by the expansion. I don't like how festivals are pretty much 99% main game stuff, how apartments are not buildable at all and you can't place them outside the new city and how this is now the 3rd EP to do mostly with adult living and having a good time. Yet if you go to youtube, people are so overjoyed, if you go to reddit, people can't wait and I can't help but feel disappointed.

I'm not blaming anyone for liking the game, however if EA can downsize everything, slow the development down and sell it like hot cakes, what will the next iteration be? Why spend time improving future products, if you can limit them down and still sell them?

I do feel very underwhelmed with apartments in this game, not being able to build them, place anywhere or you can't visit your neighbour :s

the festivals look great, more worried about if I can use all items from them in another town tho :#

from what I see the packs themes are from all ages apart from newborns, not just YA.

oh I understand, they have done nothing but place cuts and options none stop with every pack for this game

no open world
    no create a world
    no world editor
    no home business
    less active careers
    less NPC
    Basic retail
    smaller worlds
    no super market
    no book store
    no apartment building

so yes I understand you but if people want to continue buying even with continued cuts and restrictions we still have then its his/her will to do so.

I wish they made the game better but they don't need to now, they have gotten away with so many cuts, even still now with apartments. that they know people will buy it no matter how cheaply they did the packs.

because that's what the sims 4 is a cheap version of the sims with less of everything but still popular for some

The life states may be coming in GPs rather than in EPs, to give them more depth and to make it easier for people to pick and choose the ones they want and the ones they don't care for. And I still think toddlers are on their way but they want to make sure they're not just object toddlers (like some nightmares have hinted). :o

CASt/pattern tool actually contributed to a lot of the lag in Sims 3, especially if people went a bit overboard.

I actually prefer the short loading screens than watching a car drive down the road to a lot, then by the time my Sim got to his destination he was tired or hungry or had to pee so he had to turn around and go back home. (That was the case with a lot of the fishing spots in Sims 3 especially.)

Home business: yes, we can't run retail from home but the new "work from home" option coming with the new careers in City Living could open the door to a "self-employment" feature of some sort -- if it works for these three careers I could see it expanded to the other non-active (non-GTW) careers in the game.

I've had no major issues with the Dine Out restaurants or the bars; cafes are a bit buggy, I'l grant that.

Supermarkets/bookstores -- yes, we had those in Sims 3, but you were just staring at a building and working with an interface. It's not like you actually interacted with any Sims while shopping.

Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member

no open world
    no create a world
    no world editor
    no home business
    less active careers
    less NPC
    Basic retail
    smaller worlds
    no super market
    no book store
    no apartment building

The life states may be coming in GPs rather than in EPs, to give them more depth and to make it easier for people to pick and choose the ones they want and the ones they don't care for. And I still think toddlers are on their way but they want to make sure they're not just object toddlers (like some nightmares have hinted). :o

CASt/pattern tool actually contributed to a lot of the lag in Sims 3, especially if people went a bit overboard.

I actually prefer the short loading screens than watching a car drive down the road to a lot, then by the time my Sim got to his destination he was tired or hungry or had to pee so he had to turn around and go back home. (That was the case with a lot of the fishing spots in Sims 3 especially.)

Home business: yes, we can't run retail from home but the new "work from home" option coming with the new careers in City Living could open the door to a "self-employment" feature of some sort -- if it works for these three careers I could see it expanded to the other non-active (non-GTW) careers in the game.

I've had no major issues with the Dine Out restaurants or the bars; cafes are a bit buggy, I'l grant that.

Supermarkets/bookstores -- yes, we had those in Sims 3, but you were just staring at a building and working with an interface. It's not like you actually interacted with any Sims while shopping.

I had something interesting happen in TS3 during one of those taxi rides. There was an unmarried couple living together on an SV lot that was away from the beach park area. The guy had a wish to propose so I got them both in a taxi to send them to the beach for a romantic sunset proposal. I watched them going down the road and inside the taxi it appeared as if there was an argument going on. When they arrived at the beach he was so angry with her about something there was no way he was still going to propose. I finally figured out that he found out she had been married before and was upset. I can guarentee that would have never happened with a "traveling" loading screen.

In WA worlds you did have open shops to buy food, books and general merchandise. With those cash registers and the ones that came later I was able to build many different kinds of stores. As far as the rabbit hole stores. I had a great use for those. My Sims often went to them to sit or stand outside and in the process met many of the other Sims in town. I had a lot of relationships blossom over those "corner store" meetings.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    edited October 2016

no open world
    no create a world
    no world editor
    no home business
    less active careers
    less NPC
    Basic retail
    smaller worlds
    no super market
    no book store
    no apartment building

I wish I still shared your faith on toddlers but agree they may do life states in a game pack that will cost 5/6 times more if you want all the main ones.

Toddlers seems just as unlikely as ever seeing create a style again at this point.
    I like supernatural in the sims 3 but if they bring them 1 in a game pack I will have to pay so much more than before.

if you have a fairly descent pc, filter content and only use smaller areas of store content, not too much CC And Mods. than I never had any problems with it like I did.

at least it was an option, you did not have to use it if it caused you lag even. it was one of the most popular features to the game and without it just spoils for me.

sorry I was a fan of open worlds, I like seeing my kids and sims come home in a school bus and car without them just appearing on your lot and without the endless loading screens.

good for you if you like the loading screens tho :)

work from home won't help any of us who still want home business.
    will have to see more about that but I don't see any use with working from home aiding us who want home business.

dine out issues, having no control who works in it from my own household,

in the sims 2 you could
    buy books, food from proper shops/ online

in the sims 3
    in rabbit holes and proper shops you build/ the sims 3 store premium item for fruit and vegetable

in the sims 4 we don't have any
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
    edited October 2016

I really disagree with the statement that CASt caused lag. I use/used this feature in "overboard" mode ALL the time without problem. My saving numerous different copies of a sofa I personally created is no different then EA/Maxis including twenty different versions of a sofa they created. It's the same amount of info then as now (maybe less). It was just created by me instead of them. Or ask the people with twenty gigs of CC- again the same, just a third party creating it instead of the player or Maxis. The game would be substantially better for me with the return of CASt.

It's not coming back because the base engine was designed to hold everyone's saves on an EA server and redesigning that aspect of the base engine would cost too much time/money. No CASt would have helped EA control the amount of save data. Imagine I and two million other people have twenty gig saves on their servers- instead of five. You can see the benefit to limit player creation when the corporation has to provide and maintain your saves. I can virtually assure you that CC creation and use would have been near, if not outright impossible in Olympus and I'll lay odds that the number of game saves you could have at one time would have also had a cap. IMO anyway.
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member

no open world
    no create a world
    no world editor
    no home business
    less active careers
    less NPC
    Basic retail
    smaller worlds
    no super market
    no book store
    no apartment building

I had something interesting happen in TS3 during one of those taxi rides. There was an unmarried couple living together on an SV lot that was away from the beach park area. The guy had a wish to propose so I got them both in a taxi to send them to the beach for a romantic sunset proposal. I watched them going down the road and inside the taxi it appeared as if there was an argument going on. When they arrived at the beach he was so angry with her about something there was no way he was still going to propose. I finally figured out that he found out she had been married before and was upset. I can guarentee that would have never happened with a "traveling" loading screen.

In WA worlds you did have open shops to buy food, books and general merchandise. With those cash registers and the ones that came later I was able to build many different kinds of stores. As far as the rabbit hole stores. I had a great use for those. My Sims often went to them to sit or stand outside and in the process met many of the other Sims in town. I had a lot of relationships blossom over those "corner store" meetings.

No, we don't have cab rides in S4, but it's possible that when they arrived at the beach for the proposal, you might have witnessed the argument first hand.
  • halimali1980halimali1980 Posts: 8,246 Member
    MissCherie wrote: »
    Neia wrote: »
    I assure you I'm serious about liking culling. I have absolutely no problem using mod, I'm making mods, but I have removed the no culling and no relationship culling mods from my folder because I prefer the game that way. They have tweaked both cullings, and while I didn't like them at launch, I now do.

How? Like I'm legit curious, make a new sim living next to the Pancakes family and tell me that you enjoy having to befriend them over and over again each time you play, that just doesn't make sense. It's not even realistic, do you always keep introducing yourself to your neighbors everyday? No, after one time they know who you are, they don't wake up the next morning and see you and think ''who is this guy?''.

dont be surprised. Neia loves culling and there was another player who loves it. There is another player who even said he loves it when his game crashes to the desktop!!
    Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif
  • DegrassiGenDegrassiGen Posts: 2,168 Member

no open world
    no create a world
    no world editor
    no home business
    less active careers
    less NPC
    Basic retail
    smaller worlds
    no super market
    no book store
    no apartment building

The only argument that can happen during a traveling loading screen is between two simmers who are debating rather they should order pizza or Chinese while they wait for the everlasting loading screen to stop shaking it's Plumbob tush back at them....
  • alexandreaalexandrea Posts: 2,432 Member
    edited October 2016
    All this thread literally is, is a few certain simmers trying to shame people for liking Sims 4. Im looking forward to city living, only complaints are lack of life state and no buildable apartments. I still don't think it's half baked or missing features. Apparently it's okay for Sims 3 to have horrible half baked features, or even an entire expansion pack that only works in one world that barely even functions if you're lucky, but it's not okay to have 1 lack of apartments.

I am excited for City Living, I will be purchasing City living, I will be purchasing future content. I do not think Sims 4 is half bake, and I'm not defending that just to feed someones ego, get over it.

Edit; just comparing Sims 3 retail, spas and restaurants to Sims 4 is a complete joke. They were all rabbit holes for one unless you got the store pack.

Kids couldn't even dine out, the restaurants were always dead, the chef was also the waiter and food magically poofed ready in seconds from an enchanted oven.

There were no restocking fees, you could only sell furniture In the catalogue (no crafts), and any sim could EASILY be convinced to buy anything.

I am tired of people looking for every chance to put down the Sims 4 and not even remembering basic stuff like children not even being able to play instruments or go out to a RESTAURANT and try to say Sims 4 does everything worse. Almost every item Sims 4 has been better than Sims 3. DJ booths have waay more songs, karaoke has more songs and duets, chocolate fountain comas with other juices, ice-cream maker comes with around 35 flavors compared to Sims 3's like 5 ice-cream flavors. And everything has been soo much better priced too.

Agree, but in my opinion the sims 2 had best restaurant system (can't have your playabke sim be chef/waiter, some players have reported it takes 2 hours for order to be served in SMALL dinners ect.).

I second all of this...
    p6tqefj
  • PenelopePenelope Posts: 3,298 Member
    edited October 2016
    I'm underwhelmed by the festivals and careers, but the rest of the expansion looks great. I'm super excited about lot traits (earthquakes!!!), the food vendors and sales tables that you can put in different worlds, snowglobes, the unflirty trait, mural painting, fireworks, the apartments ...
    Really, the whole EP will add a lot to my gameplay.

Plus death by pufferfish. >:)
    Post edited by Penelope on
  • thetinfoilgnomethetinfoilgnome Posts: 103 Member
    @alexandrea (and others who may be interested)

The lengthy meals at restaurants can be resolved easily with MC Command Center (it's a mod, if you've never heard of it). @Deaderpool fixed the issue with career times starting at wonky hours, so now you truly can control time in Ts4. Don't be intimidated by MCC. There's a help thread by @egwarhammer where you can ask any and all questions :)
  • SimmingLoveSimmingLove Posts: 280 Member
    The best thing about City Living- It will sell like hotcakes
    @alexandrea (and others who may be interested)

The lengthy meals at restaurants can be resolved easily with MC Command Center (it's a mod, if you've never heard of it). @Deaderpool fixed the issue with career times starting at wonky hours, so now you truly can control time in Ts4. Don't be intimidated by MCC. There's a help thread by @egwarhammer where you can ask any and all questions :)

Thanks, I have that mod actually. I love it <3
    p6tqefj
    This pack is feeling so empty I fear that when The Sims 4: Stop Peeing On The Fire Hydrant (Pets Expansion) is released that pets will be made without fur cause due to time constraints certain game play elements couldn't be produced so we are getting hairless dogs. cats, and R&B music will be ringing out of cats mouths rather then the popular sound "MEOW" due to budget cuts!

OMG I can't even... Y'all are too funny on this forum. I love it!!! <3
    p6tqefj
    Scobre wrote: »
    I find it odd when people gives a number of features as an indication of the quality of the game. Because let's face it, how many people on this forum would be happy if culling was gone ? If TS5 is exactly TS4 without culling, according to some people in this thread, it would be objectively smaller than TS4 because it has less features, but would it be worse for you ? (For me, it would because I like culling, but we won't all have the same anwser). Would it be worrying ?
    I was just thinking that too, culling is something that I can agree on with many people of not liking. I guess in the Sims community it is possible to find common ground with other Simmers and not liking culling and relationship culling is one of those areas.

I am yet to see anyone say that they agree with culling in the game and if anyone does say it, I won't believe them anyway.

Who plays The Sims just to see them get culled anyway? :no_mouth:

I am okay with culling, as it is not that extreme as some people make it out to be. It hasn't happened for me but then again I don't play rotationally... If you ask me it's realistic. Relationships require work...
    p6tqefj
  • cameronw209cameronw209 Posts: 1,497 Member
    I have this theory about how the team develops certain features of the game. I think that it took the team a while to create the code for active careers, but now that they have it, it's not too difficult to add careers. The create group function introduced by Get Together also probably took some time, though from the leaks and rumors I've read, it appears that they are using this code as the base for a new game pack. Basically, once the team has created a code, they can use it and combine it in new, exciting ways. This would explain why they are able to include so many features in City Living. Get to Work is lovely in its own right, and I enjoy it very much, but in terms the quantity of content, it appears (at least in my mind) to pale in comparison to GT and especially City Living. To me, it means that each new EP will likely have more (or similarly high levels of) content. This is just a theory though, especially because I know nothing about coding.

I think you may be right.

I have a feeling if there were to be another vacation destination then it may be more fleshed out in terms of content because the tech to allow vacations in the game is already there and the time used to build that tech for OR could be used on something else e.g. running a hotel :smirk:

Well you are right that destinations are possible in TS4 as there is Outdoor Retreat but my question would be, would you even be able to build your own hotels?

I mean you can see what is going on with apartments so I would expect hotels to be built the same way. Just shells with limited editing and a loading screen to get to the reception desk... :unamused:

We can only speculate. If hotels were to be an option, I have no reason to think they would negatively impact my experience with The Sims because I have mostly enjoyed TS4 thus far. I'm not overly concerned about the apartments being shells. However, I can understand how builders would be disappointed if it were to play out that way.
    edited October 2016
    MissCherie wrote: »
    I assure you I'm serious about liking culling. I have absolutely no problem using mod, I'm making mods, but I have removed the no culling and no relationship culling mods from my folder because I prefer the game that way. They have tweaked both cullings, and while I didn't like them at launch, I now do.

How? Like I'm legit curious, make a new sim living next to the Pancakes family and tell me that you enjoy having to befriend them over and over again each time you play, that just doesn't make sense. It's not even realistic, do you always keep introducing yourself to your neighbors everyday? No, after one time they know who you are, they don't wake up the next morning and see you and think ''who is this guy?''.

The situation you are describing can only happen if the Pancakes already have more than 35 relationships higher than yours, so the harsh truth is that they just don't care about your Sims when they have so many friends on their own. They have tweaked culling, relationship culling and relationship decay in the latest patches. Is the situation you are describing something you have experienced since then, or is it an hypothetical scenario ?

I personally never encounter it in my game though, because 35 relationships is more than I need.

This.
    p6tqefj
  • TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    Hotels would most likely operate in a similar fashion to restaurants in Dine Out, where you build and then own one, and you hire employees, and then random Sims show up to the front desk (as they do with the host), and pay for a room to stay in. Maybe a bellhop shows them to their room, and instead of sitting at the table in the restaurant example, they go sleep on the bed. There would probably be special hotel doors that you assign as "Guest 1", "Guest 2", etc or something. The lots would be set to Hotel or whatever, just like the other ownable venues have their own type.

I don't get why anyone would think they'd be like apartments, other than to be contrarian for the sake of it. :|
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »

You can have a max of three per lot. Or just one or two. You rule! :D
    Awesome.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited October 2016
    Death by pufferfish! Yes please!
    Death by fireworks set off inside is back too from TS1. :)
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • GruffmanGruffman Posts: 4,831 Member
    Can someone make me a map for this thread ... just reading the last few pages and its been all over the place.