Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

the worst thing about City Living - it will sell like hot cakes

Comments

• Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
    Okay so are all you transgender debaters purposely trying to get this thread closed or is it just going to be collateral damage?
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited October 2016
    Okay so are all you transgender debaters purposely trying to get this thread closed or is it just going to be collateral damage?

I am not purposely trying to get this thread closed, myself.

However, sadly, I think the topic was going to become a flame thread eventually, because there is only so much mileage one can get about a topic that seems to be indirectly saying some simmers buying more content are causing the downfall of a video game series (or at least, that is the vibe I am getting from this thread overall pre-Trans debates). I didn't see anything constructive coming out of the entire discussion (while I was lurking anyway), and it all felt very personal from the get go.

ETA: I think I will bow out of this thread now, and not derail any longer. I apologize for the OT.
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    edited October 2016

They confirmed that the earthquakes don't break anything in the latest stream. The screen shakes and the sims get "upset"- yeah another way to change their moods, which more and more is all this game does seem to offer which speaks to it's expiration day.

Woah woah woah woah woah woah woah. I just caught this.

Omg. Like are we serious...? Why isn't there more outrage over this? That's so outrageously lazy it's embarassing. Like I don't mean to sound like a jerk but that is one of those times I would say don't bother with that feature at all if you're not gonna do it right. I doubt it adds much to gameplay and on the contrary, it seems like a feature that might remind some less-than-impressed players just how lackluster the expansion is.

EDIT: Just looked it up and it's true, though reality is stranger than fiction. Apparently someone decided the "Gremlins" lot trait should be for breaking objects and the MASSIVE EARTHQUAKE just makes your sim feel bad or something. So it's not really laziness given they bothered to implement a trait that breaks objects, but it is....very very odd. I don't get why they couldn't have both traits break things. An earthquake that doesn't break things just feels incredibly odd. Definitely one of their weirder design decisions.
    Post edited by DeservedCriticism on
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • cameronw209cameronw209 Posts: 1,497 Member

They confirmed that the earthquakes don't break anything in the latest stream. The screen shakes and the sims get "upset"- yeah another way to change their moods, which more and more is all this game does seem to offer which speaks to it's expiration day.

Omg. Like are we serious...? Why isn't there more outrage over this? That's so outrageously lazy it's embarassing. Like I don't mean to sound like a jerk but that is one of those times I would say don't bother with that feature at all if you're not gonna do it right. I doubt it adds much to gameplay and on the contrary, it seems like a feature that might remind some less-than-impressed players just how lackluster the expansion is.

EDIT: Just looked it up and it's true, though reality is stranger than fiction. Apparently someone decided the "Gremlins" lot trait should be for breaking objects and the MASSIVE EARTHQUAKE just makes your sim feel bad or something. So it's not really laziness given they bothered to implement a trait that breaks objects, but it is....very very odd. I don't get why they couldn't have both traits break things. An earthquake that doesn't break things just feels incredibly odd. Definitely one of their weirder design decisions.

Yeah, this didn't make sense to me either.

I mean, I live in an earthquake prone area and the idea of earthquakes not breaking anything is a bit strange.

Btw...I think using the word lazy to describe any shortfall in the game is quite insulting to the people who spend huge amounts of professional/personal time on the game. Budget has nothing to do with the work ethic of the developers.
    (Shrug) I never really expected it to do anything. Gremlins are going to break the stuff that already breaks- plumbing/electrical. You just have to do a minor reprogramming change to up breakage rates AND have breakage happen on items even when they aren't being used. Pretty simple frequency change. With earthquakes people would have expected structural damage if there was any damage at all- floors, lights maybe, things falling of the wall and there's no was they were going to be able to do all that animation wise (they didn't even do the elevator) when you look at the rest of the EP. The screen shaking is an easy addition that'll just shift the camera view around in a rapid manner and the "tense" moodlet can essentially be applied to anything (as we know) so earthquakes were a quick and easy change with a big attention grabbing name. All the lot traits will follow the same pattern but whatever, it'll sell.

Btw...I think using the word lazy to describe any shortfall in the game is quite insulting to the people who spend huge amounts of professional/personal time on the game. Budget has nothing to do with the work ethic of the developers.

Yeah I get where you're coming from, truth is the game development industry is...well, kinda terrible. Devs are horrendously overworked more often than not, so sorry, didn't mean it. I just dunno what else I would call that if a feature is included but put in half-finished more or less. Even from a budget perspective that seems absurd and crazy, cause I mean they HAVE the coding ready. They used it for Gremlins. Use that same coding to help tweak earthquakes and it should be done without much hassle or cost. Neither lazy nor cheap/greedy seem to apply.

Though yeah, they did include something that breaks objects, so 🐸🐸🐸🐸. I'd personally call that mismanaged (again, not perfectly applicable) because I really just cannot imagine that NOBODY on staff pointed out the absurdity of an earthquake breaking nothing, especially if they're stationed in the Bay Area. Just can't wrap my head around how they came up with this result at all.
  • mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    Because you may have players that want the shaking but don't want the breaking (hey, that rhymes! B) ). So the solution would be, to make those players happy, have the trait that only produces the shaking and a moodlet, but perhaps a modder can combine the shaking with elements from the "gremlins" lot trait to create broken items. Not every earthquake breaks stuff, after all -- as someone who's lived in California her entire life can attest. Even the Loma Prieta quake back in 1989 (largest one in my memory) didn't break anything in our house, but it caused some major damage in the East Bay and San Francisco, and our filing department at work was a mess. :o

having in mind that this is a triple A studio, I don't think that satisfying all sides would have been difficult. Two lot traits - "earthquakes" and "extreme earthquakes". Don't place extreme ones on any lot by default. And there you go. I don't get why a moder has to do it.

Yeah, this didn't make sense to me either.

I mean, I live in an earthquake prone area and the idea of earthquakes not breaking anything is a bit strange.

you have to describe it somehow. Short budgetted might be another way of explaining it. "Bad engine" another. Because we used to get two expansions a year and far more unique objects/ animations. The production of expansions has slowed down when it came to TS4 and from my perspective, it also fell in quality.

• PolyrhythmPolyrhythm Posts: 2,789 Member
    edited October 2016

Because you may have players that want the shaking but don't want the breaking (hey, that rhymes! B) ). So the solution would be, to make those players happy, have the trait that only produces the shaking and a moodlet, but perhaps a modder can combine the shaking with elements from the "gremlins" lot trait to create broken items. Not every earthquake breaks stuff, after all -- as someone who's lived in California her entire life can attest. Even the Loma Prieta quake back in 1989 (largest one in my memory) didn't break anything in our house, but it caused some major damage in the East Bay and San Francisco, and our filing department at work was a mess. :o
    It still sounds like ultimately one base is neglected or gets the short end of the stick. So only make players who don't want things to break happy, and leave those who were hoping for a bit more chaos to use mods? That's not a good solution at all and it's the same thing they did with aliens - make it so that those who don't want abductions are happy, but those who do want them have to jump through countless hoops or ultimately mod their game. The best solution for any of these would be in-game options, or different versions of the trait for the earthquake scenario.
    :*:,:*:*:*::*:,:*:*:*::
    v5Yd2X5.png
    edited October 2016

Because you may have players that want the shaking but don't want the breaking

....Who would want this? Why would anyone want a trait where your screen just shakes randomly and that's it?

And the thing itself is optional. If you don't want breaking, don't pick it. Not hard.

You know, that's true. We have numerous minor earthquakes here that usually startle you but never break anything. I hadn't really thought along those lines.
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Can't you use both lot traits on the same lot? Maybe the quakes will trigger the gremlins and the screen will shake and the gremlins will break stuff.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    Can't you use both lot traits on the same lot? Maybe the quakes will trigger the gremlins and the screen will shake and the gremlins will break stuff.
    That's a good idea. :) Nice suggestion. Is multiple lot traits possible with the pack?
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • HIFreeBirdIHHIFreeBirdIH Posts: 1,410 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    That's a good idea. :) Nice suggestion. Is multiple lot traits possible with the pack?

There is a maximum of three traits per lot, although some of the cheaper apartments have locked traits because of, well, you know, their cheapness.
    Just some random Simmer you probably don't even follow on the gallery! Gallery name's the same as my username! Did I just rhyme there?
    xyIcMqt.png
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited October 2016

There is a maximum of three traits per lot, although some of the cheaper apartments have locked traits because of, well, you know, their cheapness.
    Oh cool, so gremlins and earthquakes would make a nice combination. I used to love that movie as a kid and probably why I want to get a papillon dog someday. I love it when solutions/suggestions like this are made in forums. Makes it feel like a community again.

@MissCherie I have had it happen too. Best to let @SimGuruNick @SimGuruArvin and @SimQARobo know about that.
    Post edited by Scobre on
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member

You can have a max of three per lot. Or just one or two. You rule! :D
  • thetinfoilgnomethetinfoilgnome Posts: 103 Member
    edited October 2016
    @Cinderellimouse ooooh!!! I just loved your "thinking out loud" post on this thread. Honestly those were my thought exactly. The majority of fans, I think, would be thrilled to have:

--a feature that assigns rooms to different sims (so you can put a family in an apartment), and one that assigns rooms as "communal"

--a feature that separates sims' money (or combines it if you have a joint bank account)

I know that I've just repeated what you said. My point is that with these two features, so many people would be very happy.

I personally am a stalwart fan of The Sims 4. I think that may be because I've only been a player and member of this community for a few months, or because I enjoy all of the game's features, from building, to putting fashions together for sims and using custom content, to just simply playing and hanging out on the forums. I also don't mind using my imagination :) Still, I couldn't imagine wanting to play Ts3 due to the graphics. To someone spoiled by Ts4, they seem very outdated.

I will most definitely purchase City Living, though probably in a few months because I don't mind waiting, and I get a kick out of buying things on sale :)

I have this theory about how the team develops certain features of the game. I think that it took the team a while to create the code for active careers, but now that they have it, it's not too difficult to add careers. The create group function introduced by Get Together also probably took some time, though from the leaks and rumors I've read, it appears that they are using this code as the base for a new game pack. Basically, once the team has created a code, they can use it and combine it in new, exciting ways. This would explain why they are able to include so many features in City Living. Get to Work is lovely in its own right, and I enjoy it very much, but in terms the quantity of content, it appears (at least in my mind) to pale in comparison to GT and especially City Living. To me, it means that each new EP will likely have more (or similarly high levels of) content. This is just a theory though, especially because I know nothing about coding.

• cameronw209cameronw209 Posts: 1,497 Member
    I have this theory about how the team develops certain features of the game. I think that it took the team a while to create the code for active careers, but now that they have it, it's not too difficult to add careers. The create group function introduced by Get Together also probably took some time, though from the leaks and rumors I've read, it appears that they are using this code as the base for a new game pack. Basically, once the team has created a code, they can use it and combine it in new, exciting ways. This would explain why they are able to include so many features in City Living. Get to Work is lovely in its own right, and I enjoy it very much, but in terms the quantity of content, it appears (at least in my mind) to pale in comparison to GT and especially City Living. To me, it means that each new EP will likely have more (or similarly high levels of) content. This is just a theory though, especially because I know nothing about coding.

I think you may be right.

I have a feeling if there were to be another vacation destination then it may be more fleshed out in terms of content because the tech to allow vacations in the game is already there and the time used to build that tech for OR could be used on something else e.g. running a hotel :smirk:
  • NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    edited October 2016
    MissCherie wrote: »
    Neia wrote: »
    I assure you I'm serious about liking culling. I have absolutely no problem using mod, I'm making mods, but I have removed the no culling and no relationship culling mods from my folder because I prefer the game that way. They have tweaked both cullings, and while I didn't like them at launch, I now do.

How? Like I'm legit curious, make a new sim living next to the Pancakes family and tell me that you enjoy having to befriend them over and over again each time you play, that just doesn't make sense. It's not even realistic, do you always keep introducing yourself to your neighbors everyday? No, after one time they know who you are, they don't wake up the next morning and see you and think ''who is this guy?''.

The situation you are describing can only happen if the Pancakes already have more than 35 relationships higher than yours, so the harsh truth is that they just don't care about your Sims when they have so many friends on their own. They have tweaked culling, relationship culling and relationship decay in the latest patches. Is the situation you are describing something you have experienced since then, or is it an hypothetical scenario ?

I personally never encounter it in my game though, because 35 relationships is more than I need.
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member

I think you may be right.

I have a feeling if there were to be another vacation destination then it may be more fleshed out in terms of content because the tech to allow vacations in the game is already there and the time used to build that tech for OR could be used on something else e.g. running a hotel :smirk:

Well you are right that destinations are possible in TS4 as there is Outdoor Retreat but my question would be, would you even be able to build your own hotels?

I mean you can see what is going on with apartments so I would expect hotels to be built the same way. Just shells with limited editing and a loading screen to get to the reception desk... :unamused:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    Thirdly, how is it pandering if it's for the trans community but it's not for the family play? Why are your requests more important?

Because by now there's an over 1000 page thread on it and it has been going on since release. One would think with so many people becoming disillusioned that it will ever happen and moving on from the franchise all together, it would be prioritized as the most pressing matter.
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    @mirta000 you are not the only simmer playing the game i may be a family player but i have just adjusted my play style even if i turn off aging in the game i do not even let my sims party, i am sure missing content will return but it not for us to decide when.
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
    @friendlysimmers I'm more concerned about the fact that they waited so long to even say if they're doing toddlers or not (and they still didn't, in fact the only thing they said on the topic is that "complaints have an expiration date"), that by now a lot of people are just stopping buying all together as they lost hope. From all the petitions, family players seem to be the biggest category of unsatisfied simmer right now, meaning prioritizing anything else above that is silly from a development point of view, unless of course they can't bring the life state back and they don't want to say because they want to have that carrot on a stick.
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    mirta000 wrote: »
    @friendlysimmers I'm more concerned about the fact that they waited so long to even say if they're doing toddlers or not (and they still didn't, in fact the only thing they said on the topic is that "complaints have an expiration date"), that by now a lot of people are just stopping buying all together as they lost hope. From all the petitions, family players seem to be the biggest category of unsatisfied simmer right now, meaning prioritizing anything else above that is silly from a development point of view, unless of course they can't bring the life state back and they don't want to say because they want to have that carrot on a stick.

I have actually noticed myself there are a lot less complaints these days. Not because players are all of a sudden happier, or at least not much happier but because many players have long since given up.

Some have given up on seeing fixes for what annoys them the most, others have given up on seeing major changes to the game play that annoys them while quite a few have of course given up on waiting for toddlers.

I think that this would be the theme for the next year or so. The happy players will still be happy while those who are disappointed will continue to move on in vast numbers, most have gone back to TS3 which till seems to be very active at the moment.
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    Did anyone noticed that they seem to have yanked the exchange between @friendlysimmers and myself? Really? With all the outright horrible and even abusive posts on this topic and all over these boards they pull the lighthearted one. SMH Well, no matter I am still waiting for laundry. It's the little things in a game about life that make it real. We still share that.