Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How Many Households Is Too Many?

13...Next

Comments

• Options
    feetinstockingsfeetinstockings Posts: 4,264 Member
    I have four at the moment, I play each household until I want to move onto the next, and as they make new friends I move onto their friends house and play them for a while, get their skills up and a few promotions. once my present household has all the skulls just two to go, I'll be playing household number five. I try to get each household friends with the others, so I have one large friendly community.
  • Options
    KeyserFnKeyserFn Posts: 1,424 Member
    I can't remember for sure how many I have This is what I do know Family 1 mysimself hubby and I think kids that aren't adults Family 2 Simsister hubby and maybe kids living with them still not sure and I think 2 more families with kids from myself and my sister I haven't played in so long it's hard to remember so there maybe a total of 4 families altogether I could be wrong it may be more or less I'll go look to make sure .lol
    b96a6288-80b2-4a90-b4f2-d0ff50a849e2.jpg~original

Origin gtgirl1999
    twitter @gtgirl_99
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,378 Member
    I have no idea, lol. I have 3 saves with as many as 8-9 in 2 saves and just 1-2 in the third save (my newest). I play rotation also but unlike many, I get hung up on the sim household I'm playing, depending on what's happening at the time. For example, I was playing Renee who is really into Christian, but obviously he isn't all that into Renee so that every time he goes dancing at a club, he flirts with whomever he dancing close to...unfortunately Renee is usually there and she gets the "very sad" moodlet and just goes home. That just kills me so I switch over to Renee to get her out of her funk, break up with Christian and go about her merry way. I just couldn't see her so sad...got some really nice emotional paintings from that one though. ;)

I'm definitely going to have to write these families down, lol.
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    edited October 2016
    NRowe wrote: »
    I have only quite recently 'rediscovered' the Sims, so there is a lot about Sims 4 that I don't know yet.
    I think it might have taken me a long time to play rotational of sorts in TS3 and probably TS2.

I have barely begun a story blog that has started with a single YA Sim. However, the story is written as letters to her twin brother -who in the backstory is studying medicine across the country. I would love to create him, move him into town and play the Get to Work active doctor career with him. It would be cool to follow both families that would result when both characters get married.
    However I'm scared that things would happen like Sims:
    -aging up
    -getting fired
    -getting promoted
    -dropping grades (school)
    -getting romantic relationships
    -losing relationships
    -getting skills
    That I didn't control/want to happen.

So it's interesting to see that rotational play seems to be a big thing for a lot of TS4 players. This thread seemed as good a place as any to ask.
    Please advise ?

From what i can tell the biggest difference between TS2 and TS4 is the freeze on all other Sims when you exit a lot.
    You have to be willing to give up on any tnedency to micromanage Sims you aren't playing in the best case scenario.

In the worst case scenario people are stating that it's more than just this....families you return to have completely altered relationships from when you last played them. From what I undesrstand there isn't really a way around this at the moment other than perhaps Mods .

My solution to this is to play one family at a time until they have enough points to reset their age bracket (potion of youth) then I simply archive them and move on with the hope of getting all my favorites in the same save file at their appropriate ages.

Not a great solution to be sure if you are looking to play TS2 style...but a good compromise if you aren't keen on the idea of giving up on autonomous story progression all together.
  • Options
    egwarhammeregwarhammer Posts: 5,752 Member
    NRowe wrote: »
    I have only quite recently 'rediscovered' the Sims, so there is a lot about Sims 4 that I don't know yet.
    I think it might have taken me a long time to play rotational of sorts in TS3 and probably TS2.

I have barely begun a story blog that has started with a single YA Sim. However, the story is written as letters to her twin brother -who in the backstory is studying medicine across the country. I would love to create him, move him into town and play the Get to Work active doctor career with him. It would be cool to follow both families that would result when both characters get married.
    However I'm scared that things would happen like Sims:
    -aging up
    -getting fired
    -getting promoted
    -dropping grades (school)
    -getting romantic relationships
    -losing relationships
    -getting skills
    That I didn't control/want to happen.

So it's interesting to see that rotational play seems to be a big thing for a lot of TS4 players. This thread seemed as good a place as any to ask.
    Please advise ?

Depending on how you fix your settings, *all* of these things can either be handled by MC Command Center, or, fixed by it, after the fact. Debug cheats are a recent addition, that'll get you to the grades/promotions area, but the rest of your items can be dealt with by MC "proper" depending on what module(s) you install.

I recommend getting them all in the AllModules zip file, for easiest access/installation. I play with them all, but you don't have to. Worst thing is you lose some options. MC comes with all kinds of YMMV area. :)

• Options
    BleubellBleubell Posts: 457 Member
    I can literally only play one family at a time to be completely invested in it or I inevitably become uninterested in one. I also like to devote all of my playing time to one and actually develop a connection to the family I'm playing.
    tumblr: brooklynsims / cc finds blog: brooklynsimscc
    thank you thread
  • Options
    Konan_NorrisKonan_Norris Posts: 211 Member
    My families have spread across Simsville like Poison Ivy. I have no idea how many families I am rotating through. I do have one couple that has 6 children. I later discovered accidentally while playing another couple that dad in family #1 had 10 children. I knew he was a Don Juan but wow...kind of makes me want to go back and give him an "accident" :) (muahahahaha)
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

giphy.gif

• Options
    NRoweNRowe Posts: 7,898 Member
    edited October 2016
    In general then; are people saying that I can successfully micro-manage rotating households with mods?
  • Options
    dreamprisonerdreamprisoner Posts: 1,221 Member
    I'm definitely a household hoarder (Rotational Player), I've got about 10 going at the moment. Usually I finish with one story and jump right into the next. While I do play with legacies, I mostly hop around my game and jump into this family or that one.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited October 2016
    H_alces wrote: »
    So I usually see people posting about one specific household they have or one that they establish a legacy with and just keep going with that specific one. Either I'm not very observant or I'm a rare household hoarder, but are there any of you guys out there who actively play 3+ households? Is there a cap on how many you're willing to play at a time? Just curious! :)

No, if you play an entire hood/world there is no cap only your own time and imagination. In TS2 I played more than one, fifty households and they were all important to my hood story. In TS3 I stuck with four households that's about all I could handle in an open world. And in TS4 I have more than twenty households, but probably have my favorite households. I would never be able to play one household for months on end, ever. In TS1 I played the entire map, all those houses were all my Sims. It's something I loved about The Sims series, all my Sims and my story not Maxis' story.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    staravia81staravia81 Posts: 369 Member
    I have several saves, with approximately 15 households give or take in each save.The save I've been playing lately has about 12 I rotate between. They usually start with couples or siblings, and then they expand with marriage and/or children. In my current save I have two "boarding school" households as well for wealthy teens.

I don't have a specific time period or limit for when I rotate. I might get them to certain career or life goals - like a promotion, new romance/marriage, or pregnancy - and them move on to another household that needs my attention.
    My builds!
    EA ID: staravia81
  • Options
    TomatplanteTomatplante Posts: 2,793 Member
    Wow, people here play with a lot of households! I limit myself to playing 3 households in my rotation. If I have more, I become less invested in their stories and that makes me lose interest.
  • Options
    lotarylotary Posts: 111 Member
    I have 7 households in one of my saves, with 2-4 sims per household.
    Origin ID: lotary00
  • Options
    MendotaMendota Posts: 794 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    H_alces wrote: »
    So I usually see people posting about one specific household they have or one that they establish a legacy with and just keep going with that specific one. Either I'm not very observant or I'm a rare household hoarder, but are there any of you guys out there who actively play 3+ households? Is there a cap on how many you're willing to play at a time? Just curious! :)

No, if you play an entire hood/world there is no cap only your own time and imagination. In TS2 I played more than one, fifty households and they were all important to my hood story. In TS3 I stuck with four households that's about all I could handle in an open world. And in TS4 I have more than twenty households, but probably have my favorite households. I would never be able to play one household for months on end, ever. In TS1 I played the entire map, all those houses were all my Sims. It's something I loved about The Sims series, all my Sims and my story not Maxis' story.

At last you and I can agree on something! Happy simming Cinebar.

• Options
    MeteorizerMeteorizer Posts: 30 Member
    I only have 1 family I play per save file, just don't like playing other families on my saves, I know I could turn of aging and stuff for playable families I think... but then they won't be the same age and stuff as neighbours and that bothers me. Only time it has ever said multiple played families in my game is if I went to play them or something just to play as the club leader to add another member into the club.
  • Options
    xbecky685xxbecky685x Posts: 323 Member
    Since sims 4 came out I've played only the one household. Until recently, I found I was getting bored as the the generations went on so decided to try rotational gameplay and I love it. I used to rotate in sims 2. At the moment I have picked about 5 premades to play and I play them Sunday to Sunday. It's definitely keeping me interested cause something different is happening with each household.
    Gallery xbecky685x
  • Options
    AvaSims4080AvaSims4080 Posts: 810 Member
    I have 2, one being The Black Widow Challenge and the other being The Legacy Challenge. I can't and I never will have more than that, as I know I will find it hard to keep up with and will most likely prefer playing different households and completely neglect certain ones altogether.