Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Build a Den of Vice & Iniquity Comp. - Winner Videos Uploaded

Comments

• Options
    ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,356 Member
    Thanks @Cadh20000 I'm starting over so was wondering if I should change to hangout.

I classified mine as Dive Bar. According to the Sims wiki:
    • Dive Bars are the poorest of all the bars, and the maximum star an NPC will have there is 1. Dive Bars attract Athletic Sims, Daredevils, Party Animals, and Sims that Love the Outdoors. These bars also attract Vampires and Sims in the Criminal career. Bookworms, Cowards, Snobs, Loners and Sims that are Shy or Hate the Outdoors will avoid this bar.

So, if you really want to attract the criminal element (Sims in the Criminal career), you really should use this lot category. Hm... I think maybe I'll mod my game to remove the loves the outdoors draw. That just feels slightly inappropriate.

Okay, dive bar it is. I had a glitch with the lighting and was wondering if it had anything to do with the classification but I need the criminal element. Loves the outdoors? Yeah, that doesn't sound like a criminal, except for maybe Claire Ursine. But then she's an oddball.
  • Options
    MiaSkywalkerMiaSkywalker Posts: 3,436 Member
    ZeeGee wrote: »
    Loves the outdoors? Yeah, that doesn't sound like a criminal, except for maybe Claire Ursine. But then she's an oddball.
    She is! I'm not sure which trait it is that she has, but my insane, inappropriate hobo (whom I leave on full autonomy) started talking to her one time about conspiracies, and she responded positively! I gaped when I saw that. :)
  • Options
    KgaffKgaff Posts: 1,614 Member
    Kgaff wrote: »
    ajaxpost wrote: »
    Thank you! I Like the way you've managed to make it look like a previously elegant venue that has fallen into decrepitude. But what have you done to that poor horse?! :anguished:

You guys are sure making my job difficult!

That's no horse, that's a Llama!!!! :)
    Actually, it's a chicken on a cat on a dog on a donkey, which is a reference to the Bremen Town Musicians. However, I'm wondering where that statue is in the game, because I've certainly never seen it before!

I looked up the Bremen Town Musician story, how cute! I thought the donkey looked like a llama and fit in with what I built.
    BTW, it's from Pets>An Accumulation of Animals>Decor>Sculpture>2,000 simoleons
  • Options
    I looked up the Bremen Town Musician story, how cute! I thought the donkey looked like a llama and fit in with what I built.
    Thank you! Now I will have to use it at some point. :)

I know all sorts of obscure fairy tales, from all over the world. When I say "fairy tales", many of them have nothing to do with the sorts of things that most people think of as fairy tales. I've been interested in mythology and legends since I was five, and every time I find a book with the words "fairy" or "god" or "legend" on the cover, I of course have to read it. :) It doesn't matter to me what country the legend is from, I'm going to read it. Every country's legends has their own flavor, and I love them all.
  • Options
    Cadh20000 wrote: »
    I've been delayed due to a glitch in my build. When y'all are building are you classifying it as a dive bar? Or just using hang out?

I just used "Hangout" because at the time I didn't have the expansion for "Dive Bars"... "Late Night", wasn't it? I got them(the 3 expansions I hadn't had yet; "Late Night", "Showtime", and "University Life)) since then thanks to the Steam sale so I suppose I could reclassify it now though with the way it is laid out I think it should probably stay a hangout.
    You might want to also replace any bar(s) you might have placed before you had Late Night. I don't think the other bars behave properly or have the correct professional bar interactions. I *could* be wrong - I don't really use bars much in my game - but that's what I think I read once.

Unfortunately, the wiki is pretty sparse on the subject. It just says that professional bars were introduced in Late Night, and allow the mixology interaction. My recollection, however, is that you need a mod (like this one by icarus_allsorts) in order to enable the professional interactions on a non-professional bar object.
  • Options
    Cadh20000Cadh20000 Posts: 730 Member
    Thanks for the tip, I hadn't even thought about that.
    My current Wishlist.
    My "Studio"

b736bb84-7241-48b2-94de-d977df09cdb3.png
  • Options
    She is! I'm not sure which trait it is that she has, but my insane, inappropriate hobo (whom I leave on full autonomy) started talking to her one time about conspiracies, and she responded positively! I gaped when I saw that. :)

Lol! She is fun. You never know what you're going to get.

• Options
    ajaxpostajaxpost Posts: 4,200 Member
    edited November 2016
    Thank you! I Like the way you've managed to make it look like a previously elegant venue that has fallen into decrepitude. But what have you done to that poor horse?! :anguished:

That's no horse, that's a Llama!!!! :)
    Actually, it's a chicken on a cat on a dog on a donkey, which is a reference to the Bremen Town Musicians. However, I'm wondering where that statue is in the game, because I've certainly never seen it before!

One of the things I love about the Sims community is how it prompts these great tangents and all the different folks here with so many diverse interests share what they know with the rest of us. Thank you. :)

I've been delayed due to a glitch in my build. When y'all are building are you classifying it as a dive bar? Or just using hang out?

I just used "Hangout" because at the time I didn't have the expansion for "Dive Bars"... "Late Night", wasn't it? I got them(the 3 expansions I hadn't had yet; "Late Night", "Showtime", and "University Life)) since then thanks to the Steam sale so I suppose I could reclassify it now though with the way it is laid out I think it should probably stay a hangout.
    You might want to also replace any bar(s) you might have placed before you had Late Night. I don't think the other bars behave properly or have the correct professional bar interactions. I *could* be wrong - I don't really use bars much in my game - but that's what I think I read once.

Unfortunately, the wiki is pretty sparse on the subject. It just says that professional bars were introduced in Late Night, and allow the mixology interaction. My recollection, however, is that you need a mod (like this one by icarus_allsorts) in order to enable the professional interactions on a non-professional bar object.
    Yep, I think you're right Mia, only the Professional bars have the mixology interactions, so it was a shame that there were so few provided by EA. Thankfully the modders stepped up and created some very nice additional choices. Speaking of which, thank you for the link to MTS, that mod might come in very handy - really good to see there are several great modders still creating for TS3.

When I had a quick look at your build @Cadh20000 I wondered why it seemed more popular than the others ... until I realised that the Dive bar has a more limited audience as @ZeeGee has described. Dive bar is indeed the most logical setting for a lot catering to these sort of activities but for this competition it doesn't matter what the lot is classified as - for example the "Den" could well be hidden behind a 'legitimate' business ... :naughty:

@ZeeGee, do you think you will need an extension on the deadline? I was rather unwell for most of last week, and was entertaining friends at the week-end so I'm a little behind with things (like my Lets Play :() anyway ...
  • Options
    When I had a quick look at your build @Cadh20000 I wondered why it seemed more popular than the others ... until I realised that the Dive bar has a more limited audience as @ZeeGee has described. Dive bar is indeed the most logical setting for a lot catering to these sort of activities but for this competition it doesn't matter what the lot is classified as - for example the "Den" could well be hidden behind a 'legitimate' business ... :naughty:

"More popular"? You mean in-game with the NPC's?
    My current Wishlist.
    My "Studio"

• Options
    @ajaxpost Sorry to hear you weren't well. My build will be finished by the deadline. I'm actually done so I'm glad there's a deadline, which will stop me from fiddling with it and changing things. I'm like you, I can take hours with all the different patterns and colors just for one wallpaper. And then decide that it was better before I started. :D

@Cadh20000 Yes, I have noticed that my dive bar does not attract many locals. It is usually pretty empty. I'm thinking there aren't a lot of criminals in Hidden Springs? Cause the dive bar in Bridgeport stays pretty full.
  • Options
    When I had a quick look at your build @Cadh20000 I wondered why it seemed more popular than the others ... until I realised that the Dive bar has a more limited audience as @ZeeGee has described.

"More popular"? You mean in-game with the NPC's?
    Indeed it was. When I've built commercial lots I've often marked them as Hangouts which always seemed to make them popular with NPCs :)

@ajaxpost Sorry to hear you weren't well. My build will be finished by the deadline. I'm actually done so I'm glad there's a deadline, which will stop me from fiddling with it and changing things. I'm like you, I can take hours with all the different patterns and colors just for one wallpaper. And then decide that it was better before I started. :D

@Cadh20000 Yes, I have noticed that my dive bar does not attract many locals. It is usually pretty empty. I'm thinking there aren't a lot of criminals in Hidden Springs? Cause the dive bar in Bridgeport stays pretty full.
    Thank you, though to be honest, it was mostly my own fault not taking care of my health ... not as young and vital as I once was :(

Oh, I know, I have a great problem 'leaving it alone' as well! So, it's great to hear that you are about ready to submit.

and ... there may not be a lot of 'criminals' in Hidden Springs yet ...
  • Options
    and ... there may not be a lot of 'criminals' in Hidden Springs yet ...

YET being the crucial word. :smirk: Well start taking better care of yourself! The days of living on junk food, no sleep and 24-hour simming sessions are long gone. Well maybe not gone, but we pay for it a whole lot more now than 'back in the day'. I can't even believe I'm saying back in the day, lol.

Ok I am done with my build. I have thought I was done several times but then I go in to take pictures and see stuff that needs fixin! But I'm done, I say, DONE! Post coming soon.
  • Options
    Well, with the info that the "Mixology" skill and the bartenders require the pro bars from "Late Night" I went and edited "Here to Hang", "Here to Hang ver.2" has pro bars along with more instruments on the stages, DJ Booths, some new stage lighting, some vending machines, and a "Chun Co. Teppanyaki Grill". Otherwise it is the same as the original
    My current Wishlist.
    My "Studio"

• Options
    Well, with the info that the "Mixology" skill and the bartenders require the pro bars from "Late Night" I went and edited "Here to Hang", "Here to Hang ver.2" has pro bars along with more instruments on the stages, DJ Booths, some new stage lighting, some vending machines, and a "Chun Co. Teppanyaki Grill". Otherwise it is the same as the original
    Ahh ... do I sense another "obsessive" builder? :grin:

I have downloaded and Rec'd, and as you've taken the time to enhance the entry I will judge this version in the competition if that's OK with you.
  • Options
    Ahh ... do I sense another "obsessive" builder? :grin:

I have downloaded and Rec'd, and as you've taken the time to enhance the entry I will judge this version in the competition if that's OK with you.

Appreciate it!
    My current Wishlist.
    My "Studio"

• Options

It may look like an abandoned warehouse but The Alibi is THE place to see and be seen by criminals, or mainly BE SEEN when you're actually somewhere else committing a crime. If you need an alibi, everyone in this joint will swear you were there all night and never left.. It's also rumored that the big bosses hang out in a 'secret' basement. Step in and have a look around during opening hours...if you dare! (Built in a game folder with no CC at 9 Azure Lake Ave in Hidden Springs, 40 x 30 lot.)

Your name: ZeeGee
    The name of your lot: The Alibi
    A description of the features of the venue - highlighting the main content used: Drive in to the hidden parking lot (because one wouldn't want one's WIFE to drive by and see our car here, now would one?) and come in through the front door to a double bar where two bartenders, who are even more downtrodden than their customers, come to serve drinks to the crooks and take bets on when the next fight will break out. Hint: It won't be long. The front room has a bar, a dance floor and a karaoke machine. Head down the hall to the Ladies room and a pool hall with pool tables, billiards and dart boards on the right. To the left is the Gents and the Gambling Hall, featuring a variety of options to help you lose your money.

The Alibi download link

Screenshot-153_zpsc6uvxsec.jpg

Outside pictures
    Back
    Screenshot-155_zpsarajzxxu.jpg

Other side
    Screenshot-154_zpskwkuqdrw.jpg

The front room - bar, jukebox, karaoke and dance floor.
    Screenshot-185_zpsml3hn0qz.jpg

Screenshot-186_zpst18yikzm.jpg

Screenshot-188_zps1cvz5vws.jpg

Screenshot-190_zpsrolfdsxd.jpg

Pool hall
    Screenshot-191_zpssoqsqxad.jpg

Gambling hall
    Screenshot-194_zps05o3odl5.jpg

But what is that?? That's no optical illusion, there's a door there! But only the most exclusive of criminals knows it's there and takes advantage of the downstairs delights. (Well you can't have a den of iniquity without the iniquity, can you?!
    Screenshot-213_zpscolntawt.jpg

I'll add the rest of the pics tomorrow. :)
  • Options
    @ZeeGee - That's awesome! Downloaded and rec'd. But... what is behind the secret door? I wanna see! (whines)

Out of curiosity, which secret door did you use? Or is it that camouflaged door? Probably a better choice, if that's it. The secret doors usually have to be replaced when a lot is put into a new neighborhood, or you can't open them at all.
  • Options
    @ZeeGee - That's awesome! Downloaded and rec'd. But... what is behind the secret door? I wanna see! (whines).

Thank you! I had to shut the puter down but will post more pics tomorrow. What's behind the door? Hehehe. Well there MIGHT be dance floors and there MIGHT be a couple poles. :D

Is there a real secret door?! I didn't even know! I just camouflaged a cheap door.

• Options
    Is there a real secret door?! I didn't even know! I just camouflaged a cheap door.
    There are two - one that came with World Adventures (just looks like a stone wall, but obviously you can change the texture), and the secret door bookcase that comes with Supernatural. Both take up two or three wall spaces, and like other doors, you can't put anything next to them on either side.
  • Options
    It may look like an abandoned warehouse but The Alibi is THE place to see and be seen by criminals, or mainly BE SEEN when you're actually somewhere else committing a crime. If you need an alibi, everyone in this joint will swear you were there all night and never left.. It's also rumored that the big bosses hang out in a 'secret' basement. Step in and have a look around during opening hours...if you dare! (Built in a game folder with no CC at 9 Azure Lake Ave in Hidden Springs, 40 x 30 lot.)

Your name: ZeeGee
    The name of your lot: The Alibi
    A description of the features of the venue - highlighting the main content used: Drive in to the hidden parking lot (because one wouldn't want one's WIFE to drive by and see our car here, now would one?) and come in through the front door to a double bar where two bartenders, who are even more downtrodden than their customers, come to serve drinks to the crooks and take bets on when the next fight will break out. Hint: It won't be long. The front room has a bar, a dance floor and a karaoke machine. Head down the hall to the Ladies room and a pool hall with pool tables, billiards and dart boards on the right. To the left is the Gents and the Gambling Hall, featuring a variety of options to help you lose your money.

The Alibi download link

Screenshot-153_zpsc6uvxsec.jpg
    Whoa, that is imposing! :anguished:

Loving all the details, thank you so much @ZeeGee, I look forward to discovering it's secrets.
  • Options
    cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    @MiaSkywalker Thanks for the explanation. Guess it's a good thing I didn't know about them since they don't work properly!

@ajaxpost Thanks :)

@ciane It was originally named Loser's Lounge but I had a quick look at the names of the other builds and saw how close our names were so decided to change it. And then changed the whole story of the place to fit it!! So thanks, I like Alibi better.
    Post edited by ZeeGee on
  • Options

Here's a few shots of the 'secret' basement:
    Screenshot-141_zpse7sfw01c.jpg

Screenshot-225_zpstrsybwyl.jpg

Screenshot-169_zpsvbtpulex.jpg

Now I get to explore all the other builds! Looking forward to that.
  • Options
    @ZeeGee - You used those fog emitters and special effects doohickies to great effect there! And I wouldn't have thought of using a column to simulate a dance pole - what a great idea!
  • Options
    Thank you, Mia :)