Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

As a Big Fan of The Sims, I'm hoping they'll introduce more "curly ethnic hair"

lasummerblasummerb Posts: 2,761 Member
edited October 2016 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
Yes, I know this topic has been discussed for ages. I didn't see any recent postings about hair for black Sims (or anyone with similar hair texture). I haven't been on the forums lately and I hope this is the right forum.

I am such a lover of The Sims franchise. In my opinion, it is the best pc game ever made. Everyone who knows me, knows how passionate I am about Sims. I love to write stories, make cc, create videos, etc for my Sims. But it can be disheartening when I look at the small amount of "ethnic" hairs available for use. I want to make Sims that look like me and my family, as I'm sure most Simmers do. We need more styles for children as well as adults. In the real world, most little black girls don't have a relaxer in their hair, so it's in it's natural state. There is a huge "natural hair" movement occurring in the black community (and I mean for all black people across the globe, not just in America). Because a lot of us are embracing our natural selves again, I know more Simmers will want to have hair for their Sims that reflects who they are.

Yes there are some Afro and braided styles out there, but black people wear their hair in so many different styles. I would love to see our textures in simple ponytails, buns, etc. What we have is nice, but it could be so much better. A lot of black people and persons of color play this game. I hear from my friends on other boards and this forum, how much we need curly/ethnic hair. Yes, there is amazing cc out there, but why should we have to go outside of a game we paid for just for representation?

I sincerely hope that EA starts listening to what their customers have been saying for years, we need a variety of our hair type styles in this game we all love so dearly.

@SimGuruDrake or whichever Guru I apologize if this isn't the right forum or if you prefer a pm for feedback. Thanks

Post edited by lasummerb on

Comments

• SimGuruDrakeSimGuruDrake Posts: 1,648 SimGuru (retired)
    Moved to the Game Feedback section as it's more appropriate :)

One thing that I know would really help the team is if you could provide visuals for what you'd like to see represented.
    Global Community Manager for Maxis / The Sims
  • PolyrhythmPolyrhythm Posts: 2,789 Member
    I agree. I'd love to see all sorts of curls, especially tight curls. I have hair like that and I'd love to have it in-game
    jasika_short_tight_curls_1.jpg
    Of if we get more afros, looser ones that hang a bit
    e10c02cb0507c5bbd763c70fcae487d9.jpg

And loads of new braided styles and dreadlocks too...I'm not sure how possible some of these styles are with the way way hair is done in this game (not a fan of how some of the afros we have look), but I've wanted more curly hair since forever.
    :*:,:*:*:*::*:,:*:*:*::
    v5Yd2X5.png
  • lasummerblasummerb Posts: 2,761 Member
    Moved to the Game Feedback section as it's more appropriate :)

One thing that I know would really help the team is if you could provide visuals for what you'd like to see represented.

@SimGuruDrake Thank you for responding.

I loved the child hair in Generations. I thought the texture was great and I would love to see a similar style like that for TS4
    Beaded style from the store looked great and someone converted it for kids. I would love a similar beaded style for kids in TS4

DQdPkIS.png
    tumblr_inline_n3bf3qcTbj1qgfocf.png

Here are common hairstyles our kids wear.
    3451-354x400-aakid10.jpg
    black-kids-hairstyles-3.jpg
    a262de16dd4dee091f88540973a34a90.jpg
    7895b32e5bab5f2af65b883a8b492b8e.jpg

This is a common texture a lot of us have when our hair is not chemically treated. We like to wear our natural hair down, up, in a bun, etc
    maxresdefault.jpg
    d4401a89e04f54d16180461b40c254a0.jpg

• ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I've always loved Nouk's CC hairs originally from the Sims 2, but have been remade a few times. I love hair a lot especially in the Sims, so it is nice CC shopping for variety with it over the years.
    http://modthesims.info/m/23182
    1138631.largethumb.jpg
    1158563.largethumb.jpg
    MTS_Nouk-869644-happybraids-600-pv.jpg

Nymphy made cool hair too.
    NymphyTrappingCollab-pic1.png

This is probably too much, but I love it anyways.
    tumblr_inline_ntijpqKSc31tylhi6_500.png

This guy's hair is nice too.
    tumblr_static_5mphgrgdv70o40kkks4wowcs4.jpg

Some general male hairs.
    15-new-african-american-male-hairstyles-men-hairstyles-with-male-afro-haircuts-male-afro-haircuts-with-regard-to-warm.jpg
    f314251768f98295d7caa7c11ae75f2d.jpg
    Natural-texture-afro-hair-men.jpg
    Corte-Afro-Fade-Haircut-Design.jpg
    dreadlocks-hairstyle.jpg
    66ae33aa62b16e280e3e23bfa6abd2d2.jpg
    bob-marley-02.jpg
    phpk41w4o.jpg

Female styles:
    cf43a-6a00e54ff2226e8833017d4018b954970c-800wi.jpg?w=720&h=719
    Cute-Braided-Hairstyles-for-Black-Hair-2013.jpg?w=500
    d084cc8aed68e9582b5fd8ffc1228c13.jpg

I think that is enough, but yeah children Sims need hair style love too especially in the afro styles.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
    @Scobre Thanks for posting. I love cc hair too, but I try not to use too much these days. The fact is as a paying customer, we should have much more representation in this game at base game level. But as more EPs/GPs/SPs come out there needs to be more hair available.
  • ByondTime89ByondTime89 Posts: 1,505 Member
    edited October 2016
    I totally agree! And I love all the ones suggested already! I, myself, have super curly/frizzy hair and while I'm not ethnic (I'm white/Native American) I would LOVE to see more curls! Here's some that I think would be quite nice :3 Some with bangs would also be really nice, I love bangs

61e1b26866e36e0dafb457c18d33e9ac.jpg
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQzP6gaZEXpiKOZMjHxEI8UuAOS4na_gkJo5p90sCxHJ_SzvVfznQ
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQEpw7CYKr40ZNbkjmi08yQemYYGxCuLjWmTem22xuu93kU_pqUhw
    5630da951680ba0337389b2d4838a22c.jpg
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTefEm6J1WRWhOFq8arJnGyguK5R102HdL_ouhvqt_TWcIXFuE7
    Gallery & Origin ID: ByondTime89
    @ByondTime89 Great pictures! Those textures are common within the black community too. But yes, I understand, I have friends, non-black who have these textures. I can understand why they didn't have super detailed curls back in TS3 because of the high poly count. It looks to maybe the case with TS4 too, since the more detailed hair I see his high poly.
  • ByondTime89ByondTime89 Posts: 1,505 Member
    edited October 2016
    That's definitely a good reason as to why we didn't have back then, @lasummerb Though I think it might be doable in 4 and with the level of detail they've been putting into the current wavy hairs I'd be really excited to see some actual curls! :3
    Gallery & Origin ID: ByondTime89
  • SuucherriesSuucherries Posts: 118 Member
    I have a ton of CC dedicated to black hair for self representation. I would love it if we actually had in game options. But then again, the black skintones make the black sims look like they are in serious need of lotion.
  • SimsophoniqueSimsophonique Posts: 1,410 Member
    edited October 2016
    I am not a sims 4 player and I am not Black or any kind of typical ethnic person but I am curly and I know your frustration.On any base game you found out curls.
    You can have cc but some of them are buggy and you perhaps don't find what you want or you wear.It's the same for me.It still don't find my current hairstyles.Just one with straight hair ! My simself has to wear what I have found out.Too bad for my own representation.
    I support your idea, there are a lot of afro hairstyles in the sims 3, people converted.
    I also need Afro hairstyles for my Black sims I like to get different people in my game.I never play a city full of same colourskin people.

Follow and read Miss V Detective (ts3 story)
    on wordpress: thesimsophonique.wp.com / on dreamwidth: simsophonique.dreamwidth.org
    Follow me on tumblr (sims only)
    simsophonique.tumblr.com (please no triggers I am autistic asperger)
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Nice to see you back on the forums :smile:

I think that a variety of hairstyles should be used for Sims as in today's age anyone can use hair styles and in the past you could use any hair style on any Sim using any skin tone.

I think that dreadlocks look good on guys of any race. I work with two white guys with dreads.

Bob-Marley-dreadlocks.jpg

Jason-Momoa-dreadlocks.jpg

Hot-sale-18inch-100g-pack-24roots-faux-locs-crochet-font-b-dreadlocks-b-font-font-b.jpg

7-short-dreadlocks-with-undercut.jpg?w=500

The vintage afro looks good as well :smile:

0a874ffac9653bba91688207bc1952cd.jpg

3f1b85bf9ab21d9ee3c90f762f24a476.jpg

b1b62b72240bcf62e0521a1fc9c78f3b.jpg
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    @king_of_simcity7 Thanks! I agree, many people of different races have worn these styles. And it's only got more popular as more people connect through social media. I've had non-black friends wear their hair in braided styles like some of the pictures posted. There needs to be more variety period for people whose hair grows out of head like this. Thanks for commenting. :)
    I have a ton of CC dedicated to black hair for self representation. I would love it if we actually had in game options. But then again, the black skintones make the black sims look like they are in serious need of lotion.

@Suucherries LOL @ serious need of lotion
    Yeah, regular base game skin has always been an issue for me. So, I like custom skin.
    Polyrhythm wrote: »
    I agree. I'd love to see all sorts of curls, especially tight curls. I have hair like that and I'd love to have it in-game
    jasika_short_tight_curls_1.jpg
    Of if we get more afros, looser ones that hang a bit
    e10c02cb0507c5bbd763c70fcae487d9.jpg

And loads of new braided styles and dreadlocks too...I'm not sure how possible some of these styles are with the way way hair is done in this game (not a fan of how some of the afros we have look), but I've wanted more curly hair since forever.

@Polyrhythm Great pictures. I'd like to see twisted styles, sister-lock type styles, curly fro, blow-out styles that have 3A to 4C texture, etc. Thanks for the comment.
  • SimGuruKimmiSimGuruKimmi Posts: 43 SimGuru
    This is great! I love the references you guys have gathered. More images of the same hair from different angles would be extremely helpful. While these are great suggestions (personally, I love the natural texture worn casually down), keep in mind of the Sims 4 style. We sculpt out the hairs, and we do not use alphas.

@lasummerb you are correct, curls are particularly difficult because of restricted poly count. However if the hair is "clump-able" and save on poly count, they are more doable. Shorter curly hairs are easier to pull off since it's a smaller mass. Twist outs, braids, dreads are also easier to pull off since they are massed together in larger sections.
  • SuucherriesSuucherries Posts: 118 Member
    This is great! I love the references you guys have gathered. More images of the same hair from different angles would be extremely helpful. While these are great suggestions (personally, I love the natural texture worn casually down), keep in mind of the Sims 4 style. We sculpt out the hairs, and we do not use alphas.

@lasummerb you are correct, curls are particularly difficult because of restricted poly count. However if the hair is "clump-able" and save on poly count, they are more doable. Shorter curly hairs are easier to pull off since it's a smaller mass. Twist outs, braids, dreads are also easier to pull off since they are massed together in larger sections.

Woooooot! I'm willing to send pictures of my hair from every angle! So cool that you know what a twist out is.

@SimGuruKimmi Thank you for your feedback. When you say you don't use alphas, that just means there is no custom colors, correct?

Well, I couldn't find many angle pictures for the styles I posted earlier. But here are several examples of different styles that are popular.

I really liked this style. It's similar to the TS3 IP hair.
    7xxYpcL.jpg
    8e0a8a30c4295588504abd3199f8e6fb.jpg
    cb8419b3142aeb25f6473e463bde0a93.jpg
    4bd868e81dec0d3699ec777dc0ee5637.jpg
    313e062ba3a542f25e4976b479451f5b.jpg
    54128f8a85281153c1989b0264f16e0b.jpg
    136102688.jpg
    quickdo%2B%25281%2529.jpg
    braided-hairstyles-for-black-little-girls-7b55f60248d096b1004db13695149ab6.jpg
    3db573e1485dce8cc1bce9c935223c4a.jpg

This is a blow-out with natural texture, not chemically treated. I know there are many "down" styles for Sims. But I've always hoped to use some of those same styles, but also with our texture. It's not as fine. Even when our hair is "straightened" it's never going to have the same ultra fine texture.
    Recent-Wash-Day.png
    c7203827c1dc005e587b106520166355.jpg

This is another pic of our texturetension-method-blowout-1-350-x-420.jpg

These are the typical hairtypes
    389729d8ef7e28442f0174b74a7c9f7f.png
    Hair-Types.jpg
    86454_orig.jpg
    [img]ttps://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/9e/82/8c/9e828c7680aed87ad30735298c28c90b.jpg[/img]
    b587f857c931445ebc7162698867b78a.jpg

Like I was saying before, women of color wear their hair in many different ways. I and many Simmers would love to see common hairstyles already in EA with our texture. If there is a way EA can incorporate adding our textures to buns, French Rolls, long, shoulder length, pig tails, pony tails, etc that would be so much more inclusive.

Thanks again.
  • VoeilleVoeille Posts: 474 Member
    Alpha isn’t related to colours, it’s responsible for dealing with transparency. No alpha means no transparent part for a mesh. With respect to hair it’s mainly noticeable on endings (they don’t look like separate hairs without alpha, but like glued), with respect to for example tree meshes it’s related to e.g. leaves – we see the leaf shape, but it’s actually a rectangle, the leaf shape is defined on the alpha layer.

As for those hair styles, I like them :) I’ve always used CC hair in The Sims (I prefer a large amount of polygons, I never really liked the original hair look – I understand performance reasons, but sometimes it looked like reduced way too much; there were a few good ones of course, like the TS3 afro), and creators have a wide range of styles.
    “Secret is only a secret when it is unspoken to another.”
    Pond & Sea Water Overhaul (TS2)
    Simblr (my TS2 CC)
    MTS Profile
    @Voeille Thank you for that detailed explanation. That makes sense. I've never made hair before. I wonder if not using alphas would make some of these styles or similar would be difficult to make. I like a lot of the cc out there. It's beautiful. But I've always wanted more curly type styles since TS2. I want to open my game and feel included like everyone else. Thanks again for the feedback.
    @SimGuruKimmi Here are a few more pictures my fellow Simmer buddies have sent me

hairstyle-ideas-for-high-school-braiding-kids-natural-hairstyles-ideas-4-pmMRYV.jpg
    Twist-Out-Updo-With-Headband.jpg
    6a1c0cbc3b258029a262d4a9f1e8ca66.jpg
    Sashabasha-Undercut.png
    c5642405c14192bca012899abd51332b.jpg
    Haircuts-with-Mohawk-Style-Black-Men.jpg
    6e5adfa0c5c86f62969547e822d13bac.jpg
    flat-two-strand-twist-natural-hair-for-toddler.png

• VoeilleVoeille Posts: 474 Member
    I’ve never made hair either, during those years when I used to make CC for TS2 it was mostly clothes, and it was retexturing existing meshes (those in the game or those made by other CC creators). I like the variety you can reach with just a single mesh :) I tried making them myself, but didn’t like it, not my cup of tea I guess :)

Not using alpha would definitely make those styles harder to make, for example this hair on the right have those curly ending so detailed because of alpha. The mesh itself has partially flat elements, and instead of having actual single hairs it’s some less detailed shape. Making such a hair, that looks exactly the same with respect to detail, as an actual shape without using alpha to enhance it would be quite difficult (a good 3D modeler would manage that), but more importantly it would involve a huge amount of polygons – probably much larger than the game could handle. So I think that some styles wouldn’t be possible to achieve without using alpha, but some are achievable. As @SimGuruKimmi said, the bigger the mass of hair ‘stuck together’, the easier it is.
    “Secret is only a secret when it is unspoken to another.”
    Pond & Sea Water Overhaul (TS2)
    Simblr (my TS2 CC)
    MTS Profile
    Voeille wrote: »
    I’ve never made hair either, during those years when I used to make CC for TS2 it was mostly clothes, and it was retexturing existing meshes (those in the game or those made by other CC creators). I like the variety you can reach with just a single mesh :) I tried making them myself, but didn’t like it, not my cup of tea I guess :)

Not using alpha would definitely make those styles harder to make, for example this hair on the right have those curly ending so detailed because of alpha. The mesh itself has partially flat elements, and instead of having actual single hairs it’s some less detailed shape. Making such a hair, that looks exactly the same with respect to detail, as an actual shape without using alpha to enhance it would be quite difficult (a good 3D modeler would manage that), but more importantly it would involve a huge amount of polygons – probably much larger than the game could handle. So I think that some styles wouldn’t be possible to achieve without using alpha, but some are achievable. As @SimGuruKimmi said, the bigger the mass of hair ‘stuck together’, the easier it is.

@Voeille I wonder if it would be possible to make a coarse texture for hair in this game. I'm understanding better about the alpha and those detailed curls. Would it be correct to say they had more options for making hair in TS3?
    edited October 2016
    me-puffy-twists-pinned.jpg
    4c-tapered-twa-600x702.jpg

I sincerely hope some of these styles in this thread can be mimicked for the game. I get that some of can't, but we need variety.

As another Simmer just told me: the biggest thing to recognize is shape, style, and texture when created hair for us.
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Ohh. I would be very happy to see a few more options from here :smile: