Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Expansion Pack Comparison, Reflection and Feedback

So the other day, my friend was playing The Sims 3 Ambitions and I, Sims 4 Get To Work and we were comparing our gameplay. His experience seemed so much richer and his Sims personalities more unique. I decided for kicks and because I love charts and tables to compare the two expansion packs to see where the Sims 3 outperformed the Sims 4 and vise-versa and to try and nail down why I was feeling a touch dissatisfied with The Sims 4 and completely underwhelmed by the expansion packs. This is my analysis.

rCMawrS.jpg

Now, I didn't look at BB stuff or CAS stuff but just the gameplay and one thing became apparent. The things added in the Sims 3 expansion pack made for richer sims with diverse lives, whether you were playing the careers or not. The addition of more traits, rewards and LTW meant that there was more to do before you even got to the careers. The gameplay objects were useful to you, no matter how you played and nothing needed to be unlocked by playing the game in a certain way and you didn't need to be a certain Sim to use them. Children were not ignored and there was just a lot more on offer around the town. I had real estate moguls, tattoo artists, junkyard bandit and crazy inventors and they didn't need to go to work to be those things. Their job was another facet of them, not the only facet.

My Sims all look different thanks to the amazing new CAS, but they act the same because they have limited LTW that I have played multiple times and the same traits.

Sims 4 team - please develop more traits and more LTW and don't give us on per expansion - I want six per expansion like we used to get.
YouTube%20Forum%20Banner_zpsu3ts3wnz.png
ou can read my Sim-Lit here:
https://pollyannasims.wordpress.com/

Comments

• HalloMolliHalloMolli Posts: 2,720 Member
    edited September 2016
    If you google for "best expansions pack + sims 3" you'll find out that Late Night was by far the most popular ep among simmers (I think LGR has it ranked also very high on his list).

source: http://www.thetoptens.com/best-sims-3-expansion-packs/

And this says it all.

Let's give it a try: Late Night's best feature was Bridgeport (in fact, it was my second favorite world, so they did a pretty good job with it). The problem: If you don't use a fan-made patch the map suffers of significant routing errors that eventually can corrupt your save file if you don't use mods such as errortrap etc.
    Then we had apartments (camera-movement of doom, rabbithole neighbors, NO (!) new gameplay at all, ZERO control over neighbors etc.) and with them came elevators --> always leading to a traffic jam inside the building + more routing errors + sims getting stuck).
    In addition we got pubs, night-clubs and vip-lounges - everything neat in theory, but since they were almost always empty it seemed like a useless (because dysfunctional) addition to me.
    Also a very poorly designed celebrity system that made everybody become famous only because they talked several times to a VIP sim (resulting in a town full of VIPs), paparazzis that always leave as soon as you start interacting with them (which is so dumb) etc.
    And - of course - vampires, however, they got reworked later anyway. Nuff said.

The only addition I truly enjoyed were butlers. They were alcoholics (drinking at the bar all day long) and it was great (but for real the AI was just terribe --> you can google it yourself "Sims 3 + butler + alcoholic)!

And those were the *Special* fetures of Late Night (don't forget, every Sims 3 ep is packed with set dressing --> rabbithole interactions). I am sorry, I just don't see any more depth or better gameplay features in those eps in comparison to TS4. On the contrary.

Almost everything in TS3 was half-baked at best.

Conclusion: If you love the numbers game (meaning: quantitiy over quality) stick with TS3.

By the way: Let's better not start a discussion about the glorified stuff pack (called Generations)...
    --> http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/the-sims-3-generations
    Post edited by HalloMolli on
    "[...] and everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, then it's not the end."

edited September 2016
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

And btw honey, if you care so much for those metacritic scores, be sure to know that the glorified trash that you call TS4 Base Game has a 3.9. user score--> http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/the-sims-4

You do realize, it's something different when the angry (internet) mob decides to vote (impulsivly) against a game for whatever reason (look at Fallout 4) during a very short amount of time compared to reacting to an EP (longer reaction span implied) that builds on the foundation of said videogame. Sims 3 --> good score, but Generations still sucked (probably beause of the theme ;-) ).

BTW: What I described with TS4 (today it's a very modern thing to mobilize internet mobs and take part in them --> the term 'p-lumstorm' was born) was also the reason why Steam changed their rating system: You now see how people rate a particular game AFTERWARDS --> after the release (sometimes games get better with time, this especially applies to TS4 (remember http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/893117/live-service-explained/p1, Sims 3, however, only released very few patches in comparison ) ).

What I mean by that? opinions change with time. Here is a very good example: http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/die-sims-4/test/die_sims_4,49502,3235018.html (Gamestar gave TS4 another chance because they realized their concept of providing content was different from what people were used from previous iterations, an angry internet mob, however, will never revalue its score).

Post edited by HalloMolli on
    "[...] and everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, then it's not the end."

• ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    @HalloMolli What did you want to prove by giving a link to a German description of the Get to Work expansion? Gamestar didn't say much about the game except also telling about the return of ghosts and pools. So what is your point?
    edited September 2016
    Erpe wrote: »
    @HalloMolli What did you want to prove by giving a link to a German description of the Get to Work expansion? Gamestar didn't say much about the game except also telling about the return of ghosts and pools. So what is your point?

The link works fine for me, it shows a test where the reviewer decided to give TS4 a better score because of certain improvements they made with the game (written: 14.08.2015)

Edit: BTW: the point i am trying to prove? Never trust your (hardcore-) community. Since World of Warcraft Burning Crusade it became evident that view of hardcore gamers =/= view of casuals (and here is the money~).

edited September 2016
    HalloMolli wrote: »

The link works fine for me, it shows a test where the reviewer decided to give TS4 a better score because of certain improvements they made with the game (written: 14.08.2015)

Edit: BTW: the point i am trying to prove? Never trust your (hardcore-) community. Since World of Warcraft Burning Crusade it became evident that view of hardcore gamers =/= view of casuals (and here is the money~).
    The link tells me that Gamestar originally gave TS4 77 points because it wasn't as good as TS3 and now said: "Übrigens: Die kostenpflichtigen Erweiterungspakete fließen NICHT in die Wertung von Die Sims 4 ein, die bezieht sich rein auf das Hauptspiel inklusive Gratis-Updates. Was natürlich nicht heißt, dass wir die Erweiterungen ignorieren: Mehr zum Addon Die Sims 4: An die Arbeit und den anderen Paketen gibt's gleich." So Gamestar didn't change the score for TS4 as you claim.

The site also have a link to http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/die-sims-4/artikel/die_sims_4,49502,3080827.html which in German describes TS4 as a half game to a full price. Didn't you think that any of us could read German? ;)
    edited September 2016

The site also have a link to http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/die-sims-4/artikel/die_sims_4,49502,3080827.html which in German describes TS4 as a half game to a full price. Didn't you think that any of us could read German? ;)

Released: Datum: 17.12.2014 .

Anyway: Showtime? Anybody? Wow, it was indeed an EP literally packed with features... . Wasn't it? Guys? Come on...

I mean:
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    Sims 4 EP's are a joke, sorry.

edited September 2016
    .The link tells me that Gamestar originally gave TS4 77 points because it wasn't as good as TS3 and now said: "Übrigens: Die kostenpflichtigen Erweiterungspakete fließen NICHT in die Wertung von Die Sims 4 ein, die bezieht sich rein auf das Hauptspiel inklusive Gratis-Updates. Was natürlich nicht heißt, dass wir die Erweiterungen ignorieren: Mehr zum Addon Die Sims 4: An die Arbeit und den anderen Paketen gibt's gleich." So Gamestar didn't change the score for TS4 as you claim.

What you quote says: We don't change the score because of eps. That's all. Just please, Stop lying (again)!

Here is the proof:

score.png

(the score in brakets was the previous score btw)

source: http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/die-sims-4/wertung/49502.html
    auramaris wrote: »
    TS3's packs were full of content

Yeah, they won the numbers game - gz!

You get to spend about 20-30 mins of "quality" time with any S4 release before you wish you never purchased it and that S4 never existed.

Okay.

oi.gif

• auramarisauramaris Posts: 154 Member
    edited September 2016
    @HalloMolli No seriously, I just wanna know why you think TS4's packs are better and why you defend anything that's related to TS4 so hard.
    Did you even play TS3 from start to finish or just checked it out later and said nah TS4 is the best? I'm just trying to understand your reasoning here.

@HalloMolli No seriously, I just wanna know why you think TS4's packs are better and why you defend anything that's related to TS4 so hard.
    Did you even play TS3 from start to finish or just checked it out later and said nah TS4 is the best? I'm just trying to understand your reasoning here.

TS3 was my favorite videogame for 5 years.

• cactusjuicecactusjuice Posts: 573 Member
    Wow those butlers must have been very impressive to turn a "half baked game" into a five year straight favorite :p
  • Sim_LucentSim_Lucent Posts: 689 Member
    That was an interesting comparison, OP.. certainly something I find accurate in my experience as well.

I think, for me though, it far surpasses the quantity and even quality of what's added to any EP (whether TS3 or TS4) -- because I don't find traits mean much in TS4 and all of my sims tend to act the exact same as one another -- whether through the emotion system or because they literally all roll the same whims or whatever they are called.

I'm not enjoying the game because I don't want to have to force personality on them. I don't want to have to make them grieve their dead family member constantly just to notice it (if they weren't in the room), I don't want to have to keep the angry spouse angry at their significant other who they caught cheating because after a quick argument they're fine once more.. For *me*, having to make my sims react/act in a certain why just doesn't make me become attached to them.

They've improved some reactions in the past.. I'm holding on to hope that they'll fix it a bit more. But that's purely from my perspective of the game.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    .The link tells me that Gamestar originally gave TS4 77 points because it wasn't as good as TS3 and now said: "Übrigens: Die kostenpflichtigen Erweiterungspakete fließen NICHT in die Wertung von Die Sims 4 ein, die bezieht sich rein auf das Hauptspiel inklusive Gratis-Updates. Was natürlich nicht heißt, dass wir die Erweiterungen ignorieren: Mehr zum Addon Die Sims 4: An die Arbeit und den anderen Paketen gibt's gleich." So Gamestar didn't change the score for TS4 as you claim.

What you quote says: We don't change the score because of eps. That's all. Just please, Stop lying (again)!

Here is the proof:

score.png

Two points up from 77 to 79 ;) Okay you found a newer and better link this time. But look at http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/die-sims-3/wertung/44325.html where Gamestar gave TS3 90 points (their max is 100) already from the beginning. You are fighting a losing game in your blind and ignoring defense for TS4.

Here is the proof:

score.png

Two points up from 77 to 79 ;) Okay you found a newer and better link this time. But look at http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/die-sims-3/wertung/44325.html where Gamestar gave TS3 90 points (their max is 100) already from the beginning. You are fighting a losing game in your blind and ignoring defense for TS4.

Don't forget: Even a (profesional) reviewer can only provide a single opinion about the game. The general reception is what determines success. It's not him or her.

• POLLYANNA2POLLYANNA2 Posts: 172 Member
    Sim_Lucent wrote: »
    That was an interesting comparison, OP.. certainly something I find accurate in my experience as well.

I think, for me though, it far surpasses the quantity and even quality of what's added to any EP (whether TS3 or TS4) -- because I don't find traits mean much in TS4 and all of my sims tend to act the exact same as one another -- whether through the emotion system or because they literally all roll the same whims or whatever they are called.

I'm not enjoying the game because I don't want to have to force personality on them. I don't want to have to make them grieve their dead family member constantly just to notice it (if they weren't in the room), I don't want to have to keep the angry spouse angry at their significant other who they caught cheating because after a quick argument they're fine once more.. For *me*, having to make my sims react/act in a certain why just doesn't make me become attached to them.

They've improved some reactions in the past.. I'm holding on to hope that they'll fix it a bit more. But that's purely from my perspective of the game.

It true - the whim aren't as diverse as Sims 3 and that does impact the sameness of gameplay and the emotions ofter override the reaction of Sims.
    YouTube%20Forum%20Banner_zpsu3ts3wnz.png
    ou can read my Sim-Lit here:
    https://pollyannasims.wordpress.com/

Here is the proof:

score.png

Don't forget: Even a (profesional) reviewer can only provide a single opinion about the game. The general reception is what determines success. It's not him or her.
    If you compare with other ratings then Gamestar is actually still quite positive.
    Gamespot gave the Sims 3 basegame 9 stars out of 10 and only 6 out of 10 to the Sims 4.
    Metacritic gave the Sims 3 86 points out of 100 and only 70 points out of 100 to the Sims 4.

So TS4 is rated much lower than TS3 everywhere.

Here is the proof:

score.png

If you compare with other ratings then Gamestar is actually still quite positive.
    Gamespot gave the Sims 3 basegame 9 stars out of 10 and only 6 out of 10 to the Sims 4.
    Metacritic gave the Sims 3 86 points out of 100 and only 70 points out of 100 to the Sims 4.

I, myself would have rated TS3 basegame higher than TS4 basegame. Even today (because potential is not always a criteria).

Here is the proof:

score.png

I, myself would have rated TS3 basegame higher than TS4 basegame. Even today (because potential is not always a criteria).
    But where is the potential in TS4? More SPs?

As I have written earlier we now know the content of the first 3 EPs and the first 3 GPs. It also seems that there are more and more months between such expansions. So maybe we only will get 2 EPs and 2 EPs more before TS4's era will end even though it maybe is more likely that we still will get 3 more of each type. But will any of them be better than the previous ones? Will any of them be new versions of Pets, Seasons or similar popular expansions for the earlier games when EA has avoided them until now and seems to only want completely new types of expansions released for TS4?
  • kwc1994xkwc1994x Posts: 28 New Member
    I wish I could play The Sims 3 - but I have a macbook pro and it won't run it because the graphics card (intel iris) is not supported :(
  • GaiaHypothesisGaiaHypothesis Posts: 1,886 Member
    To the OP that was a very good breakdown. I think that it would be a great if the EP's added more content, and not things like items/clothes/single-line careers etc. I love that TS3 EP's gave new emotions, like you said new jobs that weren't the ONLY job that you were ever able to have. TS3 was definitely NOT the be-all end-all, and what's disappointing to me is that despite being touted as "The Greatest Sims Game EVER" that the content coming out really isn't wowing people in the way it should. Maybe TS3 tried to add in too much too fast, but I don't think the answer is for TS4 to add in much much less.

@HalloMolli Since we're using anecdotal evidence I want to add that I've never had an issue with Butlers. Mine never drank on the job. They cooked/cleaned/looked after babies until they went to bed exhausted. Never once saw mine drinking and there were 2 bars in the house. So <shrugs> your personal experience isn't a global experience by any means. I had a maid once that just sat around eating and drinking all day, but she entertained me with her incompetence so I left it. Seems realistic.
    Ridiculous Time of Layla and Harris - Wishacy (PG)
    Look What We Started- Simblr (MATURE CONTENT)
    ISLAND END- Simblr (MATURE CONTENT, link is for scene list on sims.com)
    Studio
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top