Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Modding apartments(?)

Do you think modders could eventually find a way for us to make our own apartments?

Since the shell is 1 object. So we start by picking the shell and then building the insides!

(Or is this just wishful thinking?)
Happiness!
j9pm6g.gif

Comments

• king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    No idea really but I don't know how modern work and I have no idea of what would be possible to mod. I heard they did well with a school mod but making the option to built apartments might be a bit too out of reach for them.
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Isa_MenezesIsa_Menezes Posts: 101 Member
    I really hope they can give us what the dev team decided not to give us in the "game pack" City Living.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited September 2016
    My guess ATM is that they might be able to leverage the rental system to turn a house into a rental with a landlord, but that there's probably nothing that will split that lot among multiple households. The apartments in the EP are individual lots within a building that's built into the world: the buildings that house the apartments are basically, as my son explained it to his dad, terrain.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • HalloMolliHalloMolli Posts: 2,720 Member
    edited September 2016
    I doubt it, since apartements are not 100% accessible. We'd need tools to flag certain spaces as rabbitholes and others as areas that need a loading screen to become enterable.
    Post edited by HalloMolli on
    "[...] and everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, then it's not the end."

• emyprice95emyprice95 Posts: 344 Member
    My guess ATM is that they might be able to leverage the rental system to turn a house into a rental with a landlord, but that there's probably nothing that will split that lot among multiple households. The apartments in the EP are individual lots within a building that's built into the world: the buildings that house the apartments are basically, as my son explained it to his dad, terrain.

Given that Zerbu is creating a mod that is kind of like Create A World for The Sims 4 (it will allow you to add your own neighbourhoods that are cloned from the games' neighbourhoods) we may possibly be able to use his mod when he finishes it to create our own apartments, as they function like neighbourhoods in their own right as I understand. :blush:
    I'm a CC Creator and family player that is super hyped that toddlers are back! :smiley:

My simblr is Emy the Gamer
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    hafizchan wrote: »
    Do you think modders could eventually find a way for us to make our own apartments?

Since the shell is 1 object. So we start by picking the shell and then building the insides!

(Or is this just wishful thinking?)
    Maybe and maybe not, if they are able to do it will be an miracle.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    emyprice95 wrote: »

Given that Zerbu is creating a mod that is kind of like Create A World for The Sims 4 (it will allow you to add your own neighbourhoods that are cloned from the games' neighbourhoods) we may possibly be able to use his mod when he finishes it to create our own apartments, as they function like neighbourhoods in their own right as I understand. :blush:

Really? That's awesome, but I thought Zerbu was retiring from modding? Unless I was misinformed....
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

Really? That's awesome, but I thought Zerbu was retiring from modding? Unless I was misinformed....

He took a break that he wasn't sure he'd come back from, but is back.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member

I thought he said awhile ago that it just wasn't possible. Is he trying again?
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper
  • AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member

Thank you. I just read up about it, seems like he's having a bit of trouble. He can't finish the mod until after the CL patch, so hopefully with the help of SGMS he'll be able to finish it.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

ebuchala wrote: »

Yeah - he's been posting about it on Twitter. Whatever it turns out to be will have limitations. I haven't kept up on the details, but not everything everyone wants in this tool is going to be possible.
  • ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member

Yeah - he's been posting about it on Twitter. Whatever it turns out to be will have limitations. I haven't kept up on the details, but not everything everyone wants in this tool is going to be possible.

Oh, cool. Guess I should follow him on Twitter. :D I wander over to his blog after updates to make sure everything's running well still but didn't even realize he was on Twitter. :p
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Even if he can come up with something that works, I'll be passing on it. I decided at release, no mods, no CC. I will play the game the way the devs made it, good or bad. Plus having to wait for mod updates every time there's a patch that affects it, is not my jam.
  • RadladRadlad Posts: 75 Member
    edited September 2016

Oh, cool. Guess I should follow him on Twitter. :D I wander over to his blog after updates to make sure everything's running well still but didn't even realize he was on Twitter. :p

Anyone know if zerbu has a patron? I'd love to support him
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    Radlad wrote: »

Anyone know if zerbu has a patron? I'd love to support him

I'm sure he does. Such info would be available on his website :)
  • Aquarius94Aquarius94 Posts: 505 Member
    edited September 2016
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    Even if he can come up with something that works, I'll be passing on it. I decided at release, no mods, no CC. I will play the game the way the devs made it, good or bad. Plus having to wait for mod updates every time there's a patch that affects it, is not my jam

...Why? That's like buying a broken product and refusing to use tools that would fix it, just because the tools come from third a party. Is there a particular reason aside from having to update whenever there's a big patch?
  • abelhinha35abelhinha35 Posts: 2,304 Member

That is awesome, can you perhaps link me to his twitter, I would like to follow his work. :)
  • EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member

That is awesome, can you perhaps link me to his twitter, I would like to follow his work. :)

https://twitter.com/ZerbuTabek
  • FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    I had started a topic like that last week.
    Anyway, they could have given us BOTH. The excuse that it wasnt possible with the new system is so old and EA keeps using it. Its sad.
    They could keep the system as it is now and just give us simple apartment lots for other worlds too.
    Just to have different front doors, blacked out rooms if you choose a final apartment to live in and thats it. I dont see how they can say its not possible to combine when they are two different things that could be given separately as well. The new world could only have their system and buildings and since we can use lot traits everywhere now, why not in a apartment lot we have build ourselves? Now we are forced to live in THEIR buildings, just because they want it that way. But maybe i do not like the look, maybe u do not care for the 20 level floor for every single apartment building. A two or 4 floor is also fine with me. The reason is a bit....

la..me. The real reason is that the engine probably wouldnt handle it, if the game lets us build however WE want and with the amount of rooms WE want. They could actually also limit that to 4 in a way, but no.. this is easier so thats what we get now. Thats why this whole EP is again.. a waisted chance for me.
    edited September 2016
    The engine can handle it easily. Go back and read my post, then think again.
    "[...] and everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, then it's not the end."

• drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    HalloMolli wrote: »
    The engine can handle it easily. Go back and read my post, then think again.

Do you have some sort of insider knowledge pertaining to this game engine?

You don't know what it's capable of, and neither do we. We know what Maxis has done with it, and so far it hasn't been very much. Doesn't suggest anything more complex can or will be done with the game engine.

It was built for an online game, and runs exceptionally well on old hardware. That alone says there are extreme limitations that hinder its ability to perform.
    edited September 2016
    The TS4 engine would be capable of making a building of, say, 4+floors fully accessible. The Problem: the loss in performance is displayed in a nonlinear curve. At a certain point, the cost for the consumer would be disproportionately high with regard to the benefits in gameplay.

Allowing to build apartements from scratch wouldn't be possible without rising the hardware requirements significantly. However: When releasing new features (apartements) devs are always trying to reach that point where the engine is providing an optimum of gameplay + customization + aesthetics + performance (such as FPS + loading screens) AND at the same time being relatevly low in demand when it comes hardware power. Again: That does not mean that they couldn't do more. It all depends on their priorities.

Of course I have no insights in their data to tell you where exactly the break point is (by that I mean, when the engine loses its efficiency to perform under certain aspects such as the paramaters I described above) but that is not even necessary, it has more to do with common sense than anything else, if you ask me.

Edit: In the end it's not a question about the engine but whether most of the simmers could handle it (probably not).
    Also: Sims 2 got a full ep dedicated to apartements. In Citiy Living apartements are only one (!) thing on a list of several features.

• DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Aquarius94 wrote: »
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    Even if he can come up with something that works, I'll be passing on it. I decided at release, no mods, no CC. I will play the game the way the devs made it, good or bad. Plus having to wait for mod updates every time there's a patch that affects it, is not my jam

...Why? That's like buying a broken product and refusing to use tools that would fix it, just because the tools come from third a party. Is there a particular reason aside from having to update whenever there's a big patch?

I don't consider the game to be broken. Is it missing things that I wish it had, yes. Were decisions made that I wish had been made differently, yes. But the game can be played. I can and do make things work. I have an imagination, so I put it to work. There are the challenges that I give my sims in the game and I have challenges playing the game. I will not use CC because I had a ton of CC in S3 and it slowed my game down and took forever to load. I will not use mods to "fix" my game because they must be updated with almost every patch and I don't want to rely on someone else to take the time to update their mod. They have lives that might interfere and then where would I be? So, for this version, I made the decision to play CC and mod free.
  • Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
    edited September 2016
    These are not apartments- they are neighborhoods that have had the usual forest/park/plaza shell built around them redesigned to appear to be an apartment building- so, until we can place our own entire neighborhoods then we won't be able to place "apartments". That's why the development did not include a patch of any apartments in our current world's- it would corrupt (destroy?) the save information related to whatever neighborhood they decide to swap out with these new shells from CL. Not to mention instead of say a neighborhood laid out in Willow Creek you'd just see a single building sticking out of the map- meaning parts of the map would have to be redrawn as well. The fact of the matter is that while the game engine may not (MAY NOT) be a specific definition of broken it is definitively limited in a way that was never elaborated on when the game was launched. We are WAY PAST the point of fulfilling ALL (any?) of our hopes and dreams on a stable base- those hopes are over.
    edited September 2016
    Terminology:

"An apartment (in American and Canadian English) or a flat (in British English) is a self-contained housing unit (a type of residential real estate) that occupies only part of a building, correctly, on a single level without a stair."

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apartment

Conclusion: Yes, these, in fact, are apartments.
    they are neighborhoods that have had the usual forest/park/plaza shell built around them redesigned to appear to be an apartment building

Yes and no. In a sense every apartment-complex is a neighborhood on its own, so this does not say much. But from a technical perspective: Apartments provide a slightly different functionality than ordinary neighborhoods. An example for such a functionality would be the addition of special gameplay features --> community-life (for the first time you actually see your neighbors leaving their living space and taking care of their business, they can affect your well-being by triggering special interactions etc.), landlord, the 'key' feature, fuse box and so on.