Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Making the Sims 4 darker?

There have been posts that theorise the Sims 4 is a child's game and doesn't live up to its predecessors in terms of how 'dark' the game is, whether this is true or not.
To me personally, 'Dark' includes giving a harsh reality (Such as showing poverty/reactions to death), simply visual additions (Signs of decay on buildings and graffiti), interactions between sims (The slap animation has the sims smiling, which doesn't make much sense to me, as well as more mischief actions) and spooky things (Scarier ghosts/grim reaper, curses).
So I want to get the ball rolling on what exactly we're looking for -

Therefore I ask,
1: Do you think that there should be more features to make the game Darker, or not?
2: What features, if any, in the Sims 4 are Dark, or going in the right direction to achieving it?
3: Share your ideas on how to make the game Darker.

In my opinion, I'd love the game to be Darker - I enjoyed those features when I was 9 years old and playing the sims 2 and would equally appreciate them now. I think some of the features in City Living are coming close to being 'Dark', rats in the apartments, earthquakes and haunted lots. I also liked the Wishing Well from romantic garden stuff, that gave ghost children and curses.

Comments

• Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    Exactly that's what dark mean in terms of Sims 4 being childs play we don't have as much death as we had in the previous games like death by a meteor, or flies, and so on. And also scarier the previous game were because the Goth house always had ghosts even in Sims bustin out I thought that was the scariest because you always had to have seance to get rid of the ghosts it was pretty freaky but fun Sims 4 Goth house however don't have ghosts haunting the house which I'm like not to happy about the deaths are ok and also the big giant pop cake we don't have that.
    There have been posts that theorise the Sims 4 is a child's game and doesn't live up to its predecessors in terms of how 'dark' the game is, whether this is true or not.
    To me personally, 'Dark' includes giving a harsh reality (Such as showing poverty/reactions to death), simply visual additions (Signs of decay on buildings and graffiti), interactions between sims (The slap animation has the sims smiling, which doesn't make much sense to me, as well as more mischief actions) and spooky things (Scarier ghosts/grim reaper, curses).
    So I want to get the ball rolling on what exactly we're looking for -

Therefore I ask,
    1: Do you think that there should be more features to make the game Darker, or not?
    2: What features, if any, in the Sims 4 are Dark, or going in the right direction to achieving it?

In my opinion, I'd love the game to be Darker - I enjoyed those features when I was 9 years old and playing the sims 2 and would equally appreciate them now. I think some of the features in City Living are coming close to being 'Dark', rats in the apartments, earthquakes and haunted lots. I also liked the Wishing Well from romantic garden stuff, that gave ghost children and curses.

Exactly earthquakes, rats, haunted lots those are dark but Sims 4 need to be risky like whoohoo what about whohoo in elevator and showers and others.
  • dreamprisonerdreamprisoner Posts: 1,221 Member
    edited September 2016
    Briana2425 wrote: »
    Exactly that's what dark mean in terms of Sims 4 being child's play we don't have as much death as we had in the previous games like death by a meteor, or flies, and so on. And also scarier the previous game were because the Goth house always had ghosts even in Sims bustin out I thought that was the scariest because you always had to have séance to get rid of the ghosts it was pretty freaky but fun Sims 4 Goth house however don't have ghosts haunting the house which I'm like not to happy about the deaths are ok and also the big giant pop cake we don't have that.

It wasn't just the Goth's house either, a lot of the homes had generations going back and many family tombstones on their lots that came with ghosts, especially when vampires came and the graves were stashed away under the house in a deep, deep hole. It was all very creepy, and interesting. In the Sims 4 the families don't even have generations, let alone ghost hauntings, would it really be that hard for the Devs to jump in and create some dead ancestors for their characters? Although it appears we can get hauntings in the Sims 4 City Living as a lot trait, but it's not quite as creepy without the back story (who was the ghost? who were they related to? Was their some scandal in how they died?) It's probably just a randomly genned ghost - we also can't have creepy ghost babies with it.
    Exactly earthquakes, rats, haunted lots those are dark but Sims 4 need to be risky like whoohoo what about whohoo in elevator and showers and others.
    Not sure if this counts as Dark per say, but I'll say it anyway - We need more romantic actions at all, woohoo, kissing, slow dance, all of that. Romantic actions in the Sims 4 are pretty tame, if I could handle the butt squeeze in Sims 2 slow dance, and the weird pre-woohoo cut scene (with THAT music) at 7 years old, I'm sure the kids of today have skin just as thick. The butt slap for the bush-woohoo in Get Together, doesn't even touch the behind by far, His hand just goes toward it and then back again -> Although the wardrobe scenes are pretty intense (Thank you Sims 4) Risky woohoo would be really cool.
    Exactly that's what dark mean in terms of Sims 4 being child's play we don't have as much death as we had in the previous games like death by a meteor, or flies, and so on. And also scarier the previous game were because the Goth house always had ghosts even in Sims bustin out I thought that was the scariest because you always had to have séance to get rid of the ghosts it was pretty freaky but fun Sims 4 Goth house however don't have ghosts haunting the house which I'm like not to happy about the deaths are ok and also the big giant pop cake we don't have that.

It wasn't just the Goth's house either, a lot of the homes had generations going back and many family tombstones on their lots that came with ghosts, especially when vampires came and the graves were stashed away under the house in a deep, deep hole. It was all very creepy, and interesting. In the Sims 4 the families don't even have generations, let alone ghost hauntings, would it really be that hard for the Devs to jump in and create some dead ancestors for their characters? Although it appears we can get hauntings in the Sims 4 City Living as a lot trait, but it's not quite as creepy without the back story (who was the ghost? who were they related to? Was their some scandal in how they died?) It's probably just a randomly genned ghost - we also can't have creepy ghost babies with it.
    Not sure if this counts as Dark per say, but I'll say it anyway - We need more romantic actions at all, woohoo, kissing, slow dance, all of that. Romantic actions in the Sims 4 are pretty tame, if I could handle the butt squeeze in Sims 2 slow dance, and the weird pre-woohoo cut scene (with THAT music) at 7 years old, I'm sure the kids of today have skin just as thick. The butt slap for the bush-woohoo in Get Together, doesn't even touch the behind by far, His hand just goes toward it and then back again -> Although the wardrobe scenes are pretty intense (Thank you Sims 4) Risky woohoo would be really cool.

Oh yes I miss Risky whohoo oh I know and I dont know why Sims 4 is softening the romance kids know a lot more now than when I was a kid bustin out was the most risky game I played since we had the nudist colony I was 13 playing that and now kids that play gta 5 so I don't see the reason to tame Sims 4.
    Oh yes I miss Risky whohoo oh I know and I dont know why Sims 4 is softening the romance kids know a lot more now than when I was a kid bustin out was the most risky game I played since we had the nudist colony I was 13 playing that and now kids that play gta 5 so I don't see the reason to tame Sims 4.

I completely agree, I think a lot of the time people underestimate what children can handle, a game doesn't have to be stripped bare of anything dark and meaningful to appeal to kids and also stay in the age limitations, even things like the prank calls and burglars would be a nice touch.

• TheDismalSimmerTheDismalSimmer Posts: 656 Member
    edited September 2016
    Darker ways to die
    • diseases should actually be dangerous and eventually lethal rather than some inconvenient moodlet that lasts 4 hours.
    • ghosts that can physically harm or cause death to sims if they have a bad relationship.
    • make the cars that drive around on the road solid objects. If your sim gets hit, death.
    • nectar poisoning, since alcohol technically doesn't exist in SimNation
    • food poisoning from spoiled food
    • fighting can cause injury and can lead to death if done too much.
    • Also burglars who can get violent. The chance of actual home invasions that can lead to your sims getting injured or killed if athletic skill is too low.

I mean come on, kids nowadays are exposed to this kind of crap through TV shows anyway.
    dgvibNQ.png
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    no i disagree with everything mention in this post i like and prefer the sims4 as it is so no new decise death nothing
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
    no i disagree with everything mention in this post i like and prefer the sims4 as it is so no new decise death nothing

I'm sorry you feel that way and it is your opinion but I'll have to disagree with you if you think kids don't know more about relations and murder than back in the 1990's and early 2000's because you are sadly mistaken these kids play GTA 5, COD, and etc... And also watch the most gruesome movies and shows.

We need all burglars back that was part of the entertainment annoying sometimes but entertaining none the less all you need was a burglar alarm and automatically the police arrived we need the fire department because again that was entertaining but more realistic than ever because when a fire starts house in a house you don't extinguish it yourself you call the fire department. Whohoo was apart of sims from the beginning with that vibrating heart bed lol and I do think we need more of it and more romantic gameplay such as make out I'm not just talking on the couch but standing, up on the bed after relaxing.
  • MissCherieMissCherie Posts: 408 Member
    I don't think making the game darker just to make it darker is the way to go, but that said I would like if the game was less easy, like the only death I see is death by old age, I saw once death by fire, but mainly cause my game must have bug or something cause I couldn't do anything to extinguish my sim.

Nothing bad ever happen, my sims never get abducted by aliens, sims just die of old age, haven't seen a single accidental death while I know there's other ways they can die.

So I wouldn't say to add stuff to make the game ''darker'', but to make that bad stuff can happen.
    gCQKjq4.png
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited September 2016
    Yes, deviance is one of my major play styles alienated from this iteration. Darkness is basically the balance out of a game like yīn and yáng. The Sims 4 has the least amount of yīn that I've ever seen in any iteration or side Sims game. It really needs to be worked on.

The features I would call dark are probably the voodoo doll, the wishing well, the scientist and detective careers, aliens, freeze ray gun, flaming spaghetti, fear when watching a movie, and the fire ghost. Some of the upcoming ones will be rats and power outtages in apartments. City pack is actually bringing a few dark elements to it, but they still have a really light undertone to them. The Day of the Dead patch is a nice touch too.

Accidental deaths need to be more common, disease needs to have risk of death with it, burglar and policeman need to return, house fires need to occur again, food poisoning causing a chance of death, grunge furniture and outfits and decorations, life states with risky skills to them, aspiration failures, fear emotion, chance cards need to be scarier for the failure ones, negative traits need fine tuning to actually be darker and act more like the trait, uncomfortable needs to boost negative traits, and there needs to be a room inhibitor object to combat the room buffs in certain rooms. Electrocution really needs working on because I haven't had it occur once in game and consequences and random events need to occur.
    Post edited by Scobre on
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • VGismyIDVGismyID Posts: 22 New Member
    Yea I def want a realer feel in TS4. This everybody's so happy and smiling all the time crap is old. I'm hoping for something like how Makin Magic from TS1. That was really awesome, from the grungy wallpapers and nectar making to the soundtrack and the cool rollercoaster they could ride. It just felt spooky.
    I miss TS1..
  • lotarylotary Posts: 111 Member
    Well I often feel uncomfortable with 'risky' romance stuff so I'm okay with how TS4 handle them now, but I agree about the game lacking accidents and inconvenient situations. I hope disease come with serious risks and more bad situations that can lead to death.
    Origin ID: lotary00
  • TarruviTarruvi Posts: 1,227 Member
    More death would be awesome! I heard your sims can now die by eating a poisoned pufferfish in City Living! Food poisoning! :smiley:

I would like Burglars and Firefighters to make an appearance in the game. Whenever a fire breaks out, I usually just watch random NPC sims burn while the smoke detector blares in the background. :/

And Burglars, they brought some challenge to the game. Stealing your possessions, sometimes the extremely valuable ones. The only sims that really take things, are your Kleptomaniac Neighbors. :open_mouth:
  • EternalRoseEternalRose Posts: 763 Member
    Yeah I think it needs to be darker too. It's to much like a child's cartoon with the graphics & bright colors. I mean I like colors, but enough with making everything the same style. They should give us that option in the game options menu, to have more realistic game play available for us that want it & leave it alone for those who don't. I want more control of my game, earthquakes, tornadoes, tsunami's, deathly viruses, etc. How about passing out on the lawn from too much nectar? See a ghostly vision & have bad memory from trying some poisonous mushrooms on a nature hike because your sim was hungry. Have daydreams from having to much herbal tea. How about possible death by hysteria while using the bubble blower with friends.
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    MOAR DEATH!!!
    And places to bury the dead.

Can't put the fun in funeral if we don't have them in the game.

I certainly wouldn't mind burgulars again.

Fires need to be more common, and not all sims should be able to put them out.
    There also needs to be the occasional bathtub accident caused by slipping on soap. A nice bubbly death, resulting in a ghost who is made up of iridescent bubbles.

We get it. You're disagreeable and contradictory to your name.

But that's ok.
    Plenty of us disagree with you.

AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • amandaneunamandaneun Posts: 107 Member
    Darker ways to die
    • diseases should actually be dangerous and eventually lethal rather than some inconvenient moodlet that lasts 4 hours.
    • ghosts that can physically harm or cause death to sims if they have a bad relationship.
    • make the cars that drive around on the road solid objects. If your sim gets hit, death.
    • nectar poisoning, since alcohol technically doesn't exist in SimNation
    • food poisoning from spoiled food
    • fighting can cause injury and can lead to death if done too much.
    • Also burglars who can get violent. The chance of actual home invasions that can lead to your sims getting injured or killed if athletic skill is too low.

I mean come on, kids nowadays are exposed to this kind of plum through TV shows anyway.

I love the idea of diseases in the game! If implemented, I'd like for them to develop over a time-span of a few sim weeks, so it's not like they get diagnosed and die the next day. But imagine all the negative moodlets and the interactions that could be available for that. I also really like the idea of dying after fighting. I mean, not always, but sometimes you can get a concussion/injury/etc and it can be fatal, y'know? Maybe that could happen with burglars too, and the "too low of an athletic skill" can make your chance of death higher in that case.

I'm on the fence about death by nectar/food poisoning, but if implemented well, I'd probably love to see them too! Only thing I don't agree with is death by car and ghosts causing death to sims.
    “... and when all the wars are over, a butterfly will still be beautiful.”
    ― Ruskin Bond, Scenes from a Writer's Life

large.jpg
  • EternalRoseEternalRose Posts: 763 Member
    It would be good for movies & stories too, if EA would let us have handicapped Sims. Like born with osteogenesis imperfecta, my sister was born with it & never able to walk. She had to use a wheelchair her whole life. :( And stuff like cancer, I lost my Dad to cancer.

Sims is my outlet & has become therapy for me, helps me to cope with life through making stories & acting out different life situations in game. Makes the pain from the real world easier to deal with away, so I don't feel so sad. :/
  • duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    I'd love to see some darker content but would hope for the same kinda cheesy/hokey way its been implemented in previous games like Sims 1-3 to be honest. I know many wish for more realism in the sims but I love that its not at all realistic and just sort of brushes up against the real world. For me, that's part of the entertainment value. I'd love more death options...I'd like to have a sim die of fly attack again. I miss my sims who'd die in strange and unusual ways like by meteors falling on them, or for challenging the grim reaper or the silly ones. I'd feel very sad and kinda creeped out if they murdered each other or committed suicide or the like. There's just too much of that in reality and it'd be depressing to me not even to be able to escape such things in a game.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
    edited October 2016
    duhboy2u2 wrote: »
    I'd love to see some darker content but would hope for the same kinda cheesy/hokey way its been implemented in previous games.
    I know what you mean, and I'd definitely want the return of the Dark Humour from Sims 1+2 but also with a few features that are dark in a serious way, although that in moderation as I'd never want the game to become depressing as a whole or possibly psychologically damaging, like if the game introduced suicide. The way Sims 4 is now though, it definitely needs some darkening up.

[*]diseases should actually be dangerous and eventually lethal rather than some inconvenient moodlet that lasts 4 hours.
    [*]ghosts that can physically harm or cause death to sims if they have a bad relationship.
    [*]make the cars that drive around on the road solid objects. If your sim gets hit, death.
    [*]nectar poisoning, since alcohol technically doesn't exist in SimNation
    [*]food poisoning from spoiled food
    [*]fighting can cause injury and can lead to death if done too much.
    [*]Also burglars who can get violent. The chance of actual home invasions that can lead to your sims getting injured or killed if athletic skill is too low
    I really like these ideas. I'd love to have 'Nectar Poisoning', it's true to life, but not so oblivious that it's in your face and offensive. Ghosts really need to be more dangerous, they're incredibly boring as they are. Food poisoning is a must, eating spoiled food hardly gives any consequence. The deaths you've mentioned would all be really great for story players too.
    need burglars back
    a burglar alarm and automatically the police arrived
    the fire department because again that was entertaining but more realistic than ever
    Woohoo was apart of sims from the beginning with that vibrating heart bed lol and I do think we need more of it and more romantic gameplay such as make out I'm not just talking on the couch but standing, up on the bed after relaxing.
    All of this, Burglars scared the bejesus out of me, but the adrenaline rush made it interesting. Firefighters were a life-saver, I think you should be able to call them instead of them just arriving by themselves - just because some people may want the house to burn down. Definitely need more pre-woohoo and post-woohoo actions, I'm lucky I have Get Together and Patio Stuff, because just relying on the bed woohoo (Which is incredibly uneventful) would kill me.

Scobre wrote: »
    Accidental deaths need to be more common, disease needs to have risk of death with it, burglar and policeman need to return, house fires need to occur again, food poisoning causing a chance of death, grunge furniture and outfits and decorations, life states with risky skills to them, aspiration failures, fear emotion, chance cards need to be scarier for the failure ones, negative traits need fine tuning to actually be darker and act more like the trait, uncomfortable needs to boost negative traits, and there needs to be a room inhibitor object to combat the room buffs in certain rooms. Electrocution really needs working on because I haven't had it occur once in game and consequences and random events need to occur.
    Accidental deaths are so rare, cheaper objects need to break more often and electrocution needs to be more likely for sims with low skill, fires need to spread faster and start more often and when a sim with low cooking skill steps away from the oven a fire should start, because they'd have forgotten to turn it off. Policemen also need to return, with Burglars and Firefighters. Hopefully when we get Vampires and Werewolves, as well as other negative life-states, they will be able to kill a sim, and 'changing' them will at least resemble biting or mauling - Ghosts just need to be completely done-over at this point (Maybe when Supernatural comes). Not just grunge furniture + clothes, but I think there should also be a world dedicated to either run-down, decayed looking buildings and nature, or creepy/scary looking scenery, since we're stuck with the worlds the developers give us (And they are beautiful, but so happy looking), this is the only option for story-tellers who want that environment, I bet most people would appreciate looking at those worlds, there's something so fascinating about derelict and/or scary places.
    I want more control of my game, earthquakes, tornadoes, tsunami's, deathly viruses, etc. How about passing out on the lawn from too much nectar? See a ghostly vision & have bad memory from trying some poisonous mushrooms on a nature hike because your sim was hungry. Have daydreams from having to much herbal tea. How about possible death by hysteria while using the bubble blower with friends.
    Tornadoes and Tsunamis would be amazing, especially tsunamis, if we ever got a sea expansion it would be amazing to have a giant, dark wave encapsulate everything - I'd wonder how they'd implement that though. Passing out from Nectar would also be great, along with the nectar poisoning, even Sims acting drunk would be funny, they could include a new walk style and Nectar influenced interactions, such as them leaning on the other sim and exploding into a fit of laughter, then crying and then getting angry. It would be cool if they did eat the mushrooms and then started running around acting funny and doing strange things that made no sense.

Movotti wrote: »
    places to bury the dead.
    Can't put the fun in funeral if we don't have them in the game.
    There also needs to be the occasional bathtub accident caused by slipping on soap. A nice bubbly death, resulting in a ghost who is made up of iridescent bubbles.
    Graveyards would be amazing, as well as funerals, it made no sense that they weren't implemented; I currently have all of my graves at the park, not exactly the ideal environment for them. Bathtub accidents would be hilarious, and I'd love to see that ghost.

It would be good for movies & stories too, if EA would let us have handicapped Sims.
    I'd like this too, but I imagine the Devs would say this was too difficult, they haven't even been able to make height differences. Although, it shouldn't be too hard to remove an arm or two- although the animations would be dodgy, I wonder if someone could make a mod for that?
  • JerrelloJerrello Posts: 896 Member
    I could list a lot of things but being that The Sims 4 is a "well oiled machine" and the team doesn't listen to its fans on the forums most of these ideas will never see the light of day. The jig is up.