Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Simaholics Anonymous

classicXcrimeclassicXcrime Posts: 175 Member
edited September 2016 in The Sims (2000)
Let me start off this post by saying that I am a long-time Sim fan. I started playing when I was 10, the first year that The Sims was out. Originally, I didn’t have a computer at home, so whenever I was at my grandparent’s house, I would be holed up in the computer room playing to my heart’s content. I got my best friend hooked, and we would have “simming days” where we would just sit in her room and switch between playing our own families and watching the other. We each owned every single EP.

When The Sims 2 was released, we were both overjoyed. Aging? Genetics? Family Trees? Wishes and fears? It was all so new and exciting! I’m pretty sure I watched the sneak preview CD that they sent out with Makin’ Magic a hundred times. I got up to Seasons and then because I did not have a computer of my own I stopped playing for a while, but the things they introduced (Seasons, University, Apartments, etc.) were amazing, and propelled the game forward, adding so much content and life to a game that was already great to begin with. Then news of The Sims 3 came out, and I literally bought a laptop just so I could play the game. And despite all of the bugs and the lagging and the general strain that it would place on my laptop, it was still extremely enjoyable and a monumental step forward with it’s Open World and extensive CASt tools. Everything was so customizable. The game kept me enthralled for years (at least until Island Paradise and Into the Future, those two EPs just weren’t exactly my cup of tea).

I’ve mentioned in posts before that The Sims 4 has been a very disenchanting game in comparison to its predecessors and as time progresses I find myself being even more disappointed. On top of that, the recent handling of the community seems to have placed even more strain on the relationship between the fans and the company of the game we all love. I won’t mention the dreaded T-word because that isn’t the main culprit, for me at least, it just seems like the heart and love that went into making the game is gone. And because there is no heart going into making the game, there seems to be no life in the sims themselves.

Traits seem to be a formality, as it doesn’t seem to make my sims act any differently, it just makes them more prone to experiencing certain emotions and gives a couple of specific conversation prompts. This was an extreme departure from the personality system of The Sims 2, where if a sim was low in the neat trait then they literally never washed their dishes and their house would quickly become a pigsty if you didn’t make them clean it up or hire a maid. Even in The Sims 3, if you had a neighbor sim with the evil trait you would see them doing things in the neighborhood that corresponded with them having that trait. Or you had a sim that had commitment issues, and they feared getting tied down to other people and actually wanted to break-up with their partners.

Emotions were meant to be the big draw, but they seem so flippant and have so little impact on the sims. What happened to being sad for days when a loved one died and seeing them randomly crying from the memory? What happened to being 🐸🐸🐸🐸 at a spouse who cheated?

The game just hasn’t lived up to the expectations set by the developers and the content that they have put out so far just hasn’t been matching with the demands from fans (this of course is a subjective opinion, I’m sure there are definitely some people who were stoked on City Living because they love apartments and some who love Get Together). I caved and bought GTW, GT, and the Dine Out GP, but I have vowed at this point to stop spending my money on this franchise. Sims 3 doesn’t run super great on my laptop these days, with Dragon Age: Inquisition taking up a majority of the space, and so I have gone all the way back to Sims 2 to fill my simming needs, and with CC installed it far surpasses Sims 4 in my opinion. I didn’t realize how much I missed the mechanics of Sims 2 until I got the UC and installed it about a month ago.

So, what was the point of this long post?

I saw someone in the forum say “Hi, I’m [insert name here], and I’m a simaholic. It is really hard, but it’s time for me to say no.” (I apologize for not naming this person, but I couldn’t remember what discussion it was in) and I feel like a lot of people could relate to that sentiment.

So, hi, I’m classicXcrime, and I’m a Simaholic and it is time for me to say no to the sims.

This is the first EP where I am saying No. I refuse to give any more of my money to this franchise, because it doesn’t satisfy me anymore. I am not happy playing this game and I can’t afford to waste my money on it just because I have played the series for so long. I always get excited for a new EP, I always have doubts, but I haven’t been able to stop myself from caving and buying it. The way the game is built does not provide a favorable trajectory for the game in my opinion and there is no point in me holding out hope for a game that I wanted when the game will never be that way.

So, if you’re a simaholic and you would like a place to talk about the game as a whole, even to reminisce about previous iterations, I invite you to do so. And if this post seems superfluous and falls on deaf ears, then so be it. After reading the forums and hearing what everyone has to say, this is what I felt I needed to say.

Happy Simming :smile:

(This has been double posted in The Sims 4 Feedback file, wasn't quite sure where I should put it)
Post edited by classicXcrime on