Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Who is actually happy about the new city life trailer?

I'm seeing a huge amount of disappointment and negativity regarding the new trailer for apartments, such as not being able to build their own high-rises or how the "personalities" for apartments is a bad idea. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, of course, but sometimes I get the feeling it's just the cool trendy thing to be negative about the game.

I am actually looking forward to the quirky aspects of each apartments. Also there seems to be a lot of interesting new build/buy mode items that can be used in any neighborhood. Also, there will be multiple families per apartment building according to this tweet. Overall I think this is a huge improvement on how apartments were handled in TS3.

At any rate, going to wait and see. But I get the feeling the new expansion pack will be a must buy.
dgvibNQ.png

Comments

• Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    EA/Maxis pulled a Sims 2013 with that trailer and guess a lot of people misunderstood EA/Maxis intentions.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    JordojordJordojord Posts: 578 Member
    Literally everything EA puts out is met with "disappointment" and "Negativity".
    Personally I'm happy for the new expansion pack. I enjoy that Apartments are making a return and that they have these new "traits" its different, and definitely unique to the series. I can see people being upset about not being able to build their own apartments.. I can only build boxes so that does not matter to me, but I can see it being an issue.

Only thing that bothers me is perhaps loading screens going into another apartment.

Other wise I'm excited to get my hands on this EP :) I get content that I'll use ( I haven't gotten Spooky stuff because I don't see the point if theres no halloween I'm not going to play make believe like that)
    My Top Picks for an EP:
    University
    Seasons
    Bonvoyage style (Loved those hotels)
  • Options
    emtheelfemtheelf Posts: 49 Member
    I have got things I'm looking forward to - the fact that the apartments will be populated and that they seem to run better than 3 will be nice. I'm hopeful for the whole personality thing, though I need to see how it's implemented first. New build and buy objects are always something I look forward to so any of those will be great.

Still not a huge fan of the implication people just complain for the fun of it though. I am truly disappointed at the lack of building. Doesn't stop there being positives but doesn't make it absolutely perfect for me either.
    Forever in love with the Sims 2 :)
  • Options
    LogisitcsLogisitcs Posts: 1,156 Member
    I thought the trailer was cool, minus the traits. But then I read that Q&A... limitations limitations limitations
  • Options
    mskubemskube Posts: 483 Member
    At first I was very disappointed that we are unable to build our own apartments, I was thinking everyone that posts pictures of their new apartments would all look the same. I'm hoping each apartment in each building will have different floor plans. But I found out we can build the penthouse so I'm not as bothered by it now. I do like how they brought in some new things to the pack, I don't think I will like the lot traits that mess with emotions like flirty, but I will like the grungy apartment trait. I hope that the build items will at least be available to use in other worlds. I still want to find out more about it before I decide if I'm getting it or not.
  • Options
    ravynwolvfravynwolvf Posts: 1,073 Member
    I'm perfectly happy with it. People can harp all they want about the limitations of the apartments, but it's the same limitations that are in every neighborhood, and the complaining about that aspect of the game is getting old. Get over it already; it's the way the game is set up, and if you don't like it, then don't play it. They seem to think they can magically get rid of the load screens and reprogram the whole game to allow you to suddenly have multiple houses (which is what apartments basically would be) inside one lot. If it had started out being an open world game that would be feasible, but it ain't, and it's not going to change.
  • Options
    Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 891 Member
    I am still excited, as being able to build an apartment is not something I was overly worried about anyway. I feel for those who wanted to be able to, but I am just happy we can alter the apartments on the interior before we move our Sims in and that we will have real neighbors we can visit in the same apartment building. That was one thing I missed in Sims 3.
  • Options
    sassygray5sassygray5 Posts: 546 Member
    I'm excited about the neighbor interactions they showed. I also like that you can't knock down walls, etc in the apartments. Definitely more realistic for apartment living and teaches you how to use your space! I just hope the different apartments have different layouts so that if you don't like one you can move to another.
  • Options
    pajamajam07pajamajam07 Posts: 314 Member
    I'm extremely excited about the new pack. I've been waiting for apartments. I love that we can use the traits on other lots. So i can place some new houses and make them dingy. And I love the new foods from what I've seen so far. Just all around hyped!
  • Options
    aprilroseaprilrose Posts: 1,832 Member
    I'm excited for it. I like how the apartments will have traits and how we'll be able to actually visit neighbors again.
    Simming for 19 years!
    Family Tree
    Playing Mod & CC Free

• Options
    XopaxPaxXopaxPax Posts: 1,769 Member
    The trait thing is interesting, but that's pretty much it for me. Very dissapointed about not being able to build apartaments. I may end up buying this EP just for the karaoke machine but there's lots of things i will consider first.
    tenor.gif
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,598 Member
    To be honest, I only watched the trailer once. Maybe I should watch it again. :tongue:

Okay, I'm back. It looks pretty good. I think people who are disappointed with the trailer are people who don't like the city life theme. Cuz I don't see anything wrong with the trailer. Looks pretty exciting to me. I like the fireworks. :D
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • Options
    smoothyrus129smoothyrus129 Posts: 1,440 Member
    I like the new apartments trailer. I mean, I'm really not too great at building in the first place, so the lack of building options for apartments doesn't deter me at all, and I do like that the apartments have different personalities (not so thrilled about the emotion one, I'm wondering if the flirty apartment will give you a constant flirty aura while inside, that might get to be a bit much).

I really do love that, unlike TS3, there are multiple families living in one building. It kinda made me roll my eyes a bit in TS3 when there was only one apartment to choose from in each building.
  • Options
    denisesundaedenisesundae Posts: 11 New Member
    I am beyond excited for NPC roommates! Gonna be so fun to have company. :)
  • Options
    TheDismalSimmerTheDismalSimmer Posts: 656 Member
    emtheelf wrote: »
    Still not a huge fan of the implication people just complain for the fun of it though. I am truly disappointed at the lack of building. Doesn't stop there being positives but doesn't make it absolutely perfect for me either.

I'm sure there are plenty of legitimate reasons to be unsatisfied, many of which I actually agree with. I apologize if I came off too harshly, but this is the perception I am getting from the forums recently.

But let's call a spade a spade, no implications. In any large group of gamers, there will always be individuals who complain a disproportionate amount and these individuals tend to be the loudest. This isn't a negative reflection on this forum or me making accusations towards any individual, it's just an inevitability of an internet forum. Doesn't mean the complaints are unjustified, and certainly most players who voice dissatisfaction do so with good reason.

HOWEVER

After all the forum drama from a few days ago regarding the SimsVIP fiasco and now, I just wanted to start a discussion based on something other than negativity. It's just a game.
    dgvibNQ.png
  • Options
    Sim_LucentSim_Lucent Posts: 689 Member
    I think.. a lot of people are disappointed right now and understandably so. But I do think it was admirable of the team to clarify up front that players will not be able to build apartments in other worlds. Especially after it has felt like so many things like this that could affect sales have been swept under the rug until the last minute.

Maybe also to note.. in case people have forgotten, but people were livid about Get Together when it was first revealed, and people didn't really get that excited for it until it was almost released..

I'm not one to generally be optimistic about this game but maybe it's easier to do so when the pack in discussion juse isn't something that interests me. But I do hope that over the next month or so the team manages to reveal more that will get you all excited once more.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    lunaodditylunaoddity Posts: 632 Member
    I'm excited too. Though not being able to place apartments in other worlds is kinda bummer.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I'm excited about it.

Not being able to build apartments (or more specifically duplexes) in other towns is a bit disappointing but it's not a deal breaker; I sort of like having apartments limited to San Myshuno to keep them and the city unique. (Maybe a modder will come up with a modified apartment system that will allow for duplexes.) I really like the apartment "traits" concept and that they can be applied to other lots as well -- thanks to the Quake Zone trait, there are going to be some previously undiscovered faults in Oasis Springs that are going to start to become active. B) We'll also be able to move and delete/add walls within our own Sims' apartments, which is something you needed a cheat to do in Sims 2 and 3 IIRC. And I'm really happy that we can fill our apartment buildings with our own Sims -- I plan on a Swinging Seniors apartment complex with all Elders. B)

I think the apartment traits will provide a challenge for players who complain the game is "too easy" and all "sweetness and light". You could challenge yourself by putting a Neat Squeamish Sim in the grungiest apartment in town and see how long it takes to get him/her into nicer digs without mods or money cheats, just as an example.

Also really like some of the Buy items -- the video console is going to look cool on the giant movie screens in Movie Hangout, and I really love the one-tile computer desk -- that's going to go in a lot of my houses, not just apartments.

Pretty much planning to buy day 1 if I don't pre-order -- my husband in fact asked me the other day when the next pack was coming out. :D I still want to learn more information, such as if there are any new aspirations/traits, what the new careers entail (active, non-active, or some of each?) especially the politics career, and maybe a bit more info on the festivals.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I like the new apartments trailer. I mean, I'm really not too great at building in the first place, so the lack of building options for apartments doesn't deter me at all, and I do like that the apartments have different personalities (not so thrilled about the emotion one, I'm wondering if the flirty apartment will give you a constant flirty aura while inside, that might get to be a bit much).

I really do love that, unlike TS3, there are multiple families living in one building. It kinda made me roll my eyes a bit in TS3 when there was only one apartment to choose from in each building.

Flirty apartment might be good for Sims who are going for the Serial Romantic aspiration -- might make it easier to Woohoo the required number of victims. >:)
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    I'm pretty happy with it. There looks to be a fair amount of game play so far and we still don't have all the information.
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • Options
    TrowiciaTrowicia Posts: 2,027 Member
    It's cool and all, I'm definitely getting it but I don't think I'm as thrilled as I feel like I'm supposed to be after that long period of silence.
    // take me back to 2018.
  • Options
    I'm 100% stoked, the same I was when the leaks started, the same I was when the EP was confirmed. I've enjoyed everything released for TS4 so far, there's no reason to believe City Living won't live up to the hype.
  • Options
    PandaPillowPandaPillow Posts: 34 Member
    I love it. It looks like a lot of things that haven't been in the game before, like fireworks and sparklers for the kids. I also like the idea of festivals because my sims have a hard time meeting new sims unless they join a club.

I also like the idea of tourists and landlords, and pests. I think it will bring a lot of new actual gameplay, and stuff I haven't seen before.
  • Options
    MVWdeZTMVWdeZT Posts: 3,267 Member
    I'm excited about the new pack. The ability to set the ambience for a lot is intriguing. I never expected to be able to place a high-rise apartment building in Newcrest. Given the way my camera bobs around when I have 3 floors, I hadn't planned to try building an apartment building. If the shells in City Living actually solve the problem of camera movement, I'm happy with them. I like some of the clothing and am very pleased about the head ties for women.
  • Options
    sillyangel0906sillyangel0906 Posts: 5,405 Member
    I'm looking forward to it. The building limitations do not affect me fortunately. I feel for the builders who were wanting to build their own lots though.
    Origin ID - Sillyangel0906

Q7wLwse.png