Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can you fix your game engine?

So that you're no longer limited to what you can put in the game? That would be appreciated.

Apartments are the latest example, but culling, crib babies, they all fall under your poor engine.

Comments

• ravamaileravamaile Posts: 168 Member
    The haven't done it in 2 years - they are likely not to in the future.
    If people were not interested in what we were making we wouldn't continue what we are making. Our data shows us differently. (c) - @SimGuruDrake (LINK)
    Complexity is our enemy when building The Sims, so we look for any opportunity to keep it down. (c) - @SimGuruMax (LINK)
  • ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    edited September 2016
    -content removed-
    EA won't ever be completely satisfied with the profit of any game because EA have always wanted to grow and keep growing as much as possible. Therefore the only thing that really matters to EA is the sales numbers. If the sales numbers for the SPs are so high that EA can't see any real possibility to get even more customers for the Sims games then there isn't anything that we can do to change EA's mind.

The problems at least for me are:
    1. I want a bigger game which exploits the power of modern computers better. But EA wants to keep the minimum requirements low to get more casual gamers able to run the game.
    2. I want a more challenging game with deeper gameplay. But EA wants to get a lot of casual gamers interested in animations instead of challenging gameplay.
    3. I want gameplay. But EA seems to think that a dress-up game with a lot of animations sell better.

We can write whatever we want in the forum. But we can't win if EA can see that SPs sell better than EPs and that even EPs don't have to be big to get high sales numbers because sales numbers are everything for EA.
    Post edited by SimStaffBethelle on
    edited September 2016
    -content removed-
    The quality of the game engine isn't the subject here. But the OP wrote:
    Logisitcs wrote: »
    So that you're no longer limited to what you can put in the game? That would be appreciated.

Apartments are the latest example, but culling, crib babies, they all fall under your poor engine.
    The problem here is that apartments, culling and crib babies have nothing to do with limitations in the game engine.

Culling is there because automatic aging will make everybody in the whole neighborhood old and we aren't assumed to want to play a world where everybody else are elders. There are two ways for the game to avoid this:
    1. Let all the other families have babies automatically so new generations are ready to take over when somebody die. But to make this work without problems will require a lot of programming and processor power. So it would almost unavoidable raise the minimum requirements which EA doesn't want to raise at all.
    2. To use culling to bring the population down so new sims and new families can be created automatically. This is much easier to program and it won't raise the minimum requirements nearly as much. Therefore this was the way EA chose.

Relationship culling is related to population culling because it is a way to easy get rid of relationships with sims who have been removed from the world. It also makes a balance with the extremely fast way relationships are created in TS4 compared to the earlier Sims games.

Crib babies and the omission of toddlers also have nothing to do with the game engine. The game was made this way because EA wanted the game to focus on emotions, multitasking and partying where babies and toddlers weren't as important. This saved work hours so the developers could focus on other things (like CAS and improved buildmode) instead of having to figure out how the new emotions and the multitasking could be used for babies and toddlers too. But detailed babies and toddlers wouldn't have needed any changes in the game engine. So this was again a misunderstanding.
    Post edited by SimStaffBethelle on
    I guess what people mean by "the game engine" is the game's logic itself.

From what have been written about the sims 4 development, the sims 4 was not built on any existing engines like Frostbite, Unreal etc. What is engine? A software framework. The developers said that the engine was developed just for Sims, but they can refer to the engine term differently - maybe they made everything in Unity and calling the logic of the game "the engine". So it's unclear, and it's safe to say that when people say "the engine", they mean "the game logic and the ability to implement certain features well".
    If people were not interested in what we were making we wouldn't continue what we are making. Our data shows us differently. (c) - @SimGuruDrake (LINK)
    Complexity is our enemy when building The Sims, so we look for any opportunity to keep it down. (c) - @SimGuruMax (LINK)
    ravamaile wrote: »

From what have been written about the sims 4 development, the sims 4 was not built on any existing engines like Frostbite, Unreal etc. What is engine? A software framework. The developers said that the engine was developed just for Sims, but they can refer to the engine term differently - maybe they made everything in Unity and calling the logic of the game "the engine". So it's unclear, and it's safe to say that when people say "the engine", they mean "the game logic and the ability to implement certain features well".
    I agree that people often seem to confuse the game engine with the game itself. But then it wouldn't make sense to attempt to understand facts like the following:
    1. TS1, TS2, TS3 and TS all have their own and different game engine.
    2. The Sims Life Stories, the Sims Pets Stories and the Sims Castaway Stories were all built on TS2's game engine.
    3. The Sims Medieval was built on TS3's game engine.

You can read http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_engine if you want to know more about the game engine concept.
    Erpe wrote: »
    ravamaile wrote: »

I agree that people often seem to confuse the game engine with the game itself. But then it wouldn't make sense to attempt to understand facts like the following:
    1. TS1, TS2, TS3 and TS all have their own and different game engine.
    2. The Sims Life Stories, the Sims Pets Stories and the Sims Castaway Stories were all built on TS2's game engine.
    3. The Sims Medieval was built on TS3's game engine.

You can read http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_engine if you want to know more about the game engine concept.

Thank you for the reference, but I am aware of the term "game engine".

Graham Nardone once said:
    "The Sims 4 is not built on Frostbite, Glass Box, or any other previously known engine. It’s a completely new engine that was built specifically for The Sims 4. We haven’t given it a name. "Smart Sim” was how we were referring to the new tech driving the behavior of the Sims, not the engine itself.“

So, they developed everything from scratch. Ok.

When people are saying "this engine is limited", they often mention bugs or some design choices like culling. And often the engine has something to do with it. For example, routing. So, the way bodies are moving depends on the AI and collision detection - it's the engine's responsibility. What do we have in game? Sims moving through another sims, hands going through other sims' butts. Now it's clear that they did it to avoid any routing problems that existed in previous games (sims being stuck all the time). But still it makes the engine limited, unless they enhance it, which is unlikely.

And the way some players diminish other players' opinions and feelings is just rude.
    @ravamaile I know that they made TS4's game engine from scratch. They did the same with the game engines for TS1, TS2 and TS3 and the reason that they always use 4-5 years to make a new basegame while EPs sometimes have been made in only 3 months is exactly that EPs don't need a new game engine like the basegames do.

I agree that TS4 is simplified in a lot of areas compared to the earlier Sims games and that routing is one of those areas. A huge number of games use the same simplified routing where characters just move through eachother. So this kind of routing isn't at all new to me. I also am in no doubt why it was made that way in TS4 because it is quite obvious:
    1. TS2 and especially TS3 was targeted at stationary computers with good video cards. They weren't supported on laptops. So good routing was possible.
    2. TS4 is targeted on laptops and casual gamers. EA didn't expect everybody who loved TS3 to be interested in TS4 too. So EA instead targeted TS4 at new customers and especially casual gamers who couldn't be expected to have good gaming computers. So low minimum requirements were mandatory and small worlds and simplified routing were just necessary to achieve that.

I agree that the bitterness about the way TS4 was made have caused a lot of hard feelings between the simmers who are disappointed and the simmers who still love TS4. This is regrettable but it probably couldn't have been avoided anyway.
  • alexandreaalexandrea Posts: 2,432 Member
    edited September 2016
    Erpe wrote: »

The problems at least for me are:
    1. I want a bigger game which exploits the power of modern computers better. But EA wants to keep the minimum requirements low to get more casual gamers able to run the game.
    2. I want a more challenging game with deeper gameplay. But EA wants to get a lot of casual gamers interested in animations instead of challenging gameplay.
    3. I want gameplay. But EA seems to think that a dress-up game with a lot of animations sell better.

We can write whatever we want in the forum. But we can't win if EA can see that SPs sell better than EPs and that even EPs don't have to be big to get high sales numbers because sales numbers are everything for EA.

I completely agree with you there. But Ea knows a decent amount of its fan base has.... Not so great computers. I just wish they would give us an OPTION between meh-graphics and semi-open world and wowza-graphics and an open world. :(

As for the dress-up game comment, have you ever been on Tumblr for The Sims... Almost everyone says the game is like dressing up dolls and taking pictures with them. I won't lie I create stories with TS3 and I love it but.... I still love the gameplay too and just playing the game. Lots of people create with TS3 but yeah, it definitely isn't JUST a dress-up game. Maybe Ea is catering towards that scene but then again I can't even really say that because I can't really create anything with TS4. I have various stories on my computer that I never posted because TS4 pics just don't look right to me... Idk. I'm done ranting.
    p6tqefj
  • SucomSucom Posts: 1,709 Member
    edited September 2016
    I don't need a degree in computer science to know that the engine Sims 3 was built on could handle stuff players enjoyed whereas the engine used in Sims 4 can't. If the Sims 4 engine can't produce new coloured objects, a terrain tool, open visitor lots, etc, etc, etc, then it cannot be as good as the engine which powered sims 3. (Edit: .... and therefore I also wish it could be 'fixed' so that it can offer what I would like to see in this game)
  • HalloMolliHalloMolli Posts: 2,720 Member
    Sucom wrote: »
    I don't need a degree in computer science to know that the engine Sims 3 was built on could handle stuff players enjoyed whereas the engine used in Sims 4 can't. If the Sims 4 engine can't produce new coloured objects, a terrain tool, open visitor lots, etc, etc, etc, then it cannot be as good as the engine which powered sims 3. (Edit: .... and therefore I also wish it could be 'fixed' so that it can offer what I would like to see in this game)

Well, then you fail to understand what is happening in the background of TS4 while you play the game. The engine of TS4 is way better than it was in TS2 and TS3 (every stress test would prove it).
    "[...] and everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, then it's not the end."

• friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    Op for your info the gaming industrie is evolving so the game engine needs to adpat to newer computers take for exemple new computers that are out in the market are on windows 10 64 bits and eventualy games will requires computer to handle 128 bits for games and sometime they have to make choices of what go in the game it is not for us simmers to decide what .
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
    edited September 2016
    Also, while a stress test might show the engine is more stable, the engine doesn't seem capable of providing aspects of the game that previous games were able to include. Interestingly, in my own test regarding player enjoyment, I found I was able to enjoy Sims 3 more than I can enjoy Sims 4.

Just for the record, what actually am I 'failing' to understand?
    With all due respect Hallimolli, even if I did know what is happening in the background of a game, it's not likely to help me enjoy the end product. Rightly or wrongly, it is the end product that consumers are more interested in, rather than how the end product is achieved.
  • knuckledusterknuckleduster Posts: 1,268 Member
    HalloMolli wrote: »

Well, then you fail to understand what is happening in the background of TS4 while you play the game. The engine of TS4 is way better than it was in TS2 and TS3 (every stress test would prove it).

Why would I care about the background as an end user, unless I could interact with it?

Why are you not connecting to what it truly feels like as a player of this series and failing to get that?

I think I know the real answer why, but...
  • LogisitcsLogisitcs Posts: 1,156 Member

Because they've imposed limitations and restrictions...
    And even that I still wouldn't say the engine is better than TS2 and TS3 even with all the restrictions and limitations.
  • ClaimingTheFifthClaimingTheFifth Posts: 417 Member
    edited September 2016
    "Fools rush in ...." That's me :-( Can someone please tell me what "platform" refers to?) You see, my degrees are not in any of the tech oriented... in fact the degree that counts here specializes in spending money on EA products. I just read today from one of the gurus and posted by Sims Community that putting apartments in the other worlds would negate the saved games...and that seasons would do the same....and I suspect that a terrain tool is also impossible with the current "platform". It seems obvious to me (but what do I know??? no proper degrees) that EA is betting that young adults (ages 14-25) with low-end computers have more money to spend that the established adults (with higher end computers) who have played the Sims for decades. So good-by to the master builders and family players and hello to drinking, bars, parties, and woohoo. Well, this stupid adult with an open purse has now snapped it shut.
    That light at the end of the tunnel? It's a train.
    The five-second rule does not apply when you have a two-second dog.
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,186 Member
    You know I think the engine really isn't that strong .If you need a lot of culling,and relationship culling just to run well.
    You know I think the engine really isn't that strong .If you need a lot of culling,and relationship culling just to run well.

That's what I was thinking, also.
    "Fools rush in ...." That's me :-( Can someone please tell me what "platform" refers to?) You see, my degrees are not in any of the tech oriented... in fact the degree that counts here specializes in spending money on EA products. I just read today from one of the gurus and posted by Sims Community that putting apartments in the other worlds would negate the saved games...and that seasons would do the same....and I suspect that a terrain tool is also impossible with the current "platform". It seems obvious to me (but what do I know??? no proper degrees) that EA is betting that young adults (ages 14-25) with low-end computers have more money to spend that the established adults (with higher end computers) who have played the Sims for decades. So good-by to the master builders and family players and hello to drinking, bars, parties, and woohoo. Well, this plum adult with an open purse has now snapped it shut.

good catch.

• FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited September 2016
    I can't really comment on the framework, just what they say the game is and is not capable of. Not all the restrictions are due to the engine -- culling of both types can be turned off and more sims can be placed on a lot. You need a better machine to run these mods without issues, but they work if your machine is powerful enough.

Other things are a bit more problematic. Such as not being able to remember what things are what in not-loaded lots. So you end up not being able to direct your off-lot sims to do things because the game can't tell if, for instance, there's already a canvas on the easel so they decided to not open something like that up for an exploit. It also means your sims, if you change families, will be waiting for you on the sidewalk, certain needs unmet (always the same ones), not at their job/school, etc.
  • kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    edited September 2016
    Lol. Well. This is entertaining in a not so entertaining way. Perhaps one should threaten a lawsuit to end this madness.

OT: they can't fix what isn't broken. The engine has been decided upon and it's working as expected. The only thing that's broken is the community.

Best hopes to what the future has to offer.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member

If it is where are the features? What is happening in that background since you brought it up.

Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    I don't think kremesch73 was blaming the community, unlike other people in this thread. What she is saying is that the format for the game has been decided. I don't believe that they are ever going to suddenly turn it into a traditional Sims game. It will never have even half the things that people are asking for, IMO. It is what it is.

This has caused a deep rift in the community between fans who like the game as it is, and fans who wanted a different game, something with more detail and depth, something more similar to past games. Something that as actually FUN. I think the sooner the second group come to terms that they're not getting what they want, maybe EVER (and it might be good to stop buying the game anyway), the sooner the communities will stop being so argumentative.

Maybe. OTOH, maybe we'll all stop buying but we will still be here protesting this shell of a Sims game. ;)
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    well me i will keep buying the sims4 i just bough city living
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(