March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

OBS??

How well does OBS work for recording Sims LPs on Youtube?? So far it's the only one who seems to work well and what is a good editor to use that will work with it??

Comments

• cynicalbadgercynicalbadger Posts: 187 Member
    I use OBS and it works all of the time (bar once) and then I just use Windows Live Movie Maker since that was on my computer already
    Delilah1.jpg
    Blog: Fionerd | YouTube
    Who's Your Daddy?: Complete 9th May 2013
  • ajaxpostajaxpost Posts: 4,200 Member
    edited September 2016
    How well does OBS work for recording Sims LPs on Youtube?? So far it's the only one who seems to work well and what is a good editor to use that will work with it??
    Hi, I use the 'Classic' version. There is also 'OBS Studio' which looks like a more "professional" tool for people who use a variety of different setups or have more "sophisticated" needs. From what they say on the home page it does not yet have all the features that are 'Classic', yet.
    OBS Studio (formerly known as OBS Multiplatform) is a complete rewrite of the original OBS from the ground up, with the main goals being multiplatform support, a more thorough feature set, and a much more powerful API. While still in its early stages, releases are currently available for Windows, Mac and Linux.

OBS Studio will eventually support many of the advanced requested features not present in the original OBS, such as multiple stream outputs and scene previewing, the latter of which is now available in the current release.

OBS does need some tinkering I think to get the best results from it - I had to "mix and match" the advice in the different tutorials I found on Youtube.

Just in case it helps, I have uploaded some screenshots from my setup. I record Lets Play videos of Sims 3 and Train Fever, both of which I play in full screen. You may need slightly different settings for TS4 or other games but hopefully this might help ...

NOTE: You will need to 'Apply' any changes you make on each page before going to the next page.

tumblr_oczclqX8Nk1sgcmqgo1_1280.jpg
    Use the 'Settings' button to get to the main setup you need. Also notice that you can use this screen to set different volume levels for the recorded in-game sounds and your microphone. My mic. is very quiet so I have to make sure the input volume is high and the game volume is relatively low.

tumblr_oczclqX8Nk1sgcmqgo2_1280.jpg
    Basic one this, choose if you are recording a video that you will edit and upload or live streaming.

tumblr_oczclqX8Nk1sgcmqgo3_1280.jpg
    Set the resolution and framerate that works best for your monitor and game. As I said I run the game in full screen mode so I use the monitor resolution 1920x1080. OBS can also downsize the recording for you automatically but I don't, I will do that in my video editing software.

tumblr_oczclqX8Nk1sgcmqgo4_1280.jpg
    Make sure that the microphone setting here is correct, I think it is probably best to actually select it rather than just use the default, whether it's inbuilt, headset, or (as in my case) a separate microphone.

Also, because my mic records quite quietly I actually add some "audio gain" here and boost it. You may be able to do this in the video editor software but for me I think it is better doing it at the time of recording.

tumblr_oczclqX8Nk1sgcmqgo5_1280.jpg
    Back on the main screen, you will need to select what you actually want to be record, select "Global sources..." and add "Game Capture". You could add other sources such as a webcam video capture if you wanted to do a picture-in-picture type video.

tumblr_oczclqX8Nk1sgcmqgo7_r1_1280.jpg
    Having added, and given a friendly name to, your game capture source you need to edit the properties/settings of that source. Right click on the Game source and select "Properties"

tumblr_oczclqX8Nk1sgcmqgo6_1280.jpg
    Make sure that the correct game is selected - the game must already be open and running otherwise it will not appear in the list of applications.

You can set other things such as whether the mouse cursor is visible or you want to use a 'hot-key' to start/stop the recording.

I also find that Sims 3 is quite dark when I record it so I try to make it brighter by increasing the "Gamma", though I usually have to lighten it a bit more in the video editor anyway!

And those are my settings, I am not an expert at recording videos so some of my suggestions might not work for you (and may not be the best for me either!) but I hope this might help you get your videos recorded.

It creates MP4 files so any good video editor should be fine. I use Adobe Premier Elements 12 because I already had it in a bundle but you should have no problems using the free Windows Movie Maker as @cynicalbadger suggested - it's basically a case of what you want to do with the videos and how "sophisticated" you want to get.

Post edited by ajaxpost on
  • fionaloveserranofionaloveserrano Posts: 584 Member
    Thanks!! I think I am going to download it
  • fionaloveserranofionaloveserrano Posts: 584 Member
    Should I get OBS studio or OBS classic
  • ajaxpostajaxpost Posts: 4,200 Member
    Hi, I think OBS classic is probably best at the moment as it is a 'mature' product but, to be honest, I have not tried OBS Studio so it may have all the features you need and it is also what they will spend more time developing and improving.

Not that that really helps you :wink:
  • That_Fat_CatThat_Fat_Cat Posts: 85 Member
    OBS is fantastic for recording at 1080p60 if you have hardware capable of it. I use OBS for anything I have to record.
  • BabyDollOriginBabyDollOrigin Posts: 71 Member
    I tried OBS but it didn't work for my computer or i couldn't figure out how to work it haha i use fraps now instead
  • teciatecia Posts: 164 Member
    I use obs studio to record lp's, cas, speedbuilds etc... I run it on a mac and once you've set it up that first time to a setting that's right for your computer it should all be good.
    Hey Guys. My name is Couture Simmer and I have a Youtube channel with Sims 4 Speedbuilds, CAS Videos/Lookbook Fashion Shows and Lets Play Videos. I created the Sims 4 Hidden Princess Challenge which can be found on my youtube channel here

Origin ID: CoutureSimmer
    Simblr
    Twitter
  • iMickeyNikkiiMickeyNikki Posts: 43 Member
    I am not a fan of OBS mostly because it wouldn't record my sims game in video, only audio. I switched to xSplit Gamecaster. It takes a minute to get used to, but I have found that is is so much easier to use! As for editing, I use Movavi editor they have a free version, but the paid version isn't that expensive so I have that! Super simple to use!
    My Youtube Channel youtube.com/c/yohosimmer
  • HugstariHugstari Posts: 3 New Member
    I use OBS and it works fine.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,644 Member
    I use OBS for my machinimas, guess the settings and quality goes for the same, although a LP might be recorded differently and in larger bulks.

I did have trouble in the beginning though. I first downloaded the Classic version, thinking I would only record simple captures anyway, not broadcast anything etc. But the tech quality was bad. My computer is low end, with integrated vid/sound, I thought it was not up to OBS recs.

But then I tried OBS Studio instead, and everything worked perfectly. I'm not sure whether the settings were different or whatever made such a huge difference, but fact is that I both had a no-no and a yes-yes experience with the software :)

PS: I needed to watch a tutorial on youtube to understand the settings...
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • UltheaFuUltheaFu Posts: 64 Member
    I dabbled with OBS and it seems to work well except for me not having the settings optimized. I use it for Twitch for livestreaming. I've noticed that when I pivot the camera a lot it gets really grainy, again I think I just need to tweak it. Aside for the settings, there are a lot of addons and features available for it which is also really nice.
  • KayytKayyt Posts: 118 Member
    Hello!

I have used OBS and the preinstalled quicktime screen recorder on my iMac and both are fine, OBS takes some time to fine tune but I'm happy with the results it gave me ( + its free!)

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Find me on YT -https://youtube.com/channel/UCtCvQcmpcqhJxukF8UBjJtw?spfreload=10
  • elmo_gurl112elmo_gurl112 Posts: 783 Member
    I use OBS and it works all of the time (bar once) and then I just use Windows Live Movie Maker since that was on my computer already

@cynicalbadger I can't use movie maker because it won't read MP4 file, t seems to read Avi files, maybe it's just mine?

74380e5da1dd5187bb2bc2f69eff1060.jpg
    MY ORIGIN ID: Midnight292
  • Scott_PlaysScott_Plays Posts: 15 New Member
    OBS is really good! For editing I use Magix Movie Edit Pro, which might be a bit overkill for a Let's Play but I like it and it works for me. However Windows Movie Maker is a good start.
  • TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    edited January 2017
    I use OBS and HitFilm4Express, though I did also use Youtube Movie Maker for some text recently.

OBS is really robust and straightforward. HitFilm4Express has a bit of a learning curve, but it's nice and clean.

Edit: I also use Audacity for audio editing sometimes. And if you need to separate Audio from Video for editing, VLC Media Player is a good option.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • LumpyGravyLumpyGravy Posts: 38 Member
    OBS fails me on occasion... with updates is sometimes lags etc., then I try the build in recording/streaming in my NVidia graphics card, just hit Alt & Z if you have the NVidia GeForce Experience installed... Hope that might help for more free options
  • anneloes740anneloes740 Posts: 171 Member
    I use OBS Studio and been loving it so far. It does what it's suppose to do and it works great for the videos I'm making!
  • KianaisloveKianaislove Posts: 126 Member
    Hey guys! I can't link my channel (I've had this account for 6 years and i cant post links plum) but you can find me on twitter and youtube under the name "recklessXsimmer" of course without the quotes! I have 1 speed build up already and I'm working on the CAS and machinima intro to a new lets play I'm interested in! Please feel free to check me out and subscribe if you like! once I really dive in and get this thing set up I'd love to do a collab with a ton of people one day!

Thanks so much guys!
    Kiana
  • Yaffa3umYaffa3um Posts: 1 New Member
    Usually, I use OBS to record gameplay and it works fine in most cases. But in other cases, it just not that great in terms of picture quality and stutter.

Besides OBS, VideoSolo Screen Recorder is my alternative when the former does not work. The latter is abundant with winning features enough for me to make a delicate recording.

Hope it helps.
  • MLDesignMLDesign Posts: 53 Member
    I use OBS and it works most of the time for me. Once in a while it will mess up but that has only been a few times. It one of the best free screen recorder out there (That I have noticed). I used to use Windows Movie Maker but it's so limited. But if you want something free, that may be the way to go.

I use Adobe Premiere Pro.
    signature.jpg?psid=1&width=450&height=102

YouTube Channel: MLDesignTV