Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Solution to Free Positioning of Objects on Tables and Other Surfaces

Maybe someone has posted this somewhere but darned if I could find it. I'm new to the Sims universe and have developed a real love of building/decorating but ran into a problem when positioning items on tables and other surfaces. Despite using "Alt" and the "Moveobjects" cheat items on tables, etc would still lock to the surface's grid. It drove me crazy because I wanted to put stuff where I wanted. Then I figured out a work around. First I put the surface in place. Then I put what I want to put on it on it. Finally I move the surface well out of the way and using "Alt" and "Moveobjects" I drag each object to where the surface was and position how I like. With the surface out of the way the objects use the floor grid which is much more flexible in positioning. It takes a bit of shuffling the surface back and forth to get the positioning just right but it works perfectly.

Anyway, if this is already common knowledge I apologize but I dug around for days trying to find a solution and it wasn't until I figured this out on my own that I was happy with the results.

Hoping this helps at least one other person. :)

Comments

• MistyDoveMistyDove Posts: 695 Member
    edited September 2016
    It didn't know this actually, I'll have to test this when I go into my game. Thanks for sharing!
  • WilCat74WilCat74 Posts: 14 New Member
    Jaquelette wrote: »
    Maybe someone has posted this somewhere but darned if I could find it. I'm new to the Sims universe and have developed a real love of building/decorating but ran into a problem when positioning items on tables and other surfaces. Despite using "Alt" and the "Moveobjects" cheat items on tables, etc would still lock to the surface's grid. It drove me crazy because I wanted to put stuff where I wanted. Then I figured out a work around. First I put the surface in place. Then I put what I want to put on it on it. Finally I move the surface well out of the way and using "Alt" and "Moveobjects" I drag each object to where the surface was and position how I like. With the surface out of the way the objects use the floor grid which is much more flexible in positioning. It takes a bit of shuffling the surface back and forth to get the positioning just right but it works perfectly.

Anyway, if this is already common knowledge I apologize but I dug around for days trying to find a solution and it wasn't until I figured this out on my own that I was happy with the results.

Hoping this helps at least one other person. :)

OMG! Thank you so much for this! I've been struggling with some of my designs and creations in getting something to place exactly where I want it on a service and been searching for a solution and never thought of this!

I wanted to join two dining tables to make for a larger, more grand dining table and wanted to place a centrepiece in the middle where the two tables met and joined. Of course, regular Alt + moveobjects wouldn't let me do this. Your solution worked in a few seconds!!! Thank you! Now I want to go move around everything. hahaha
  • WilCat74WilCat74 Posts: 14 New Member
    ".. on a surface". That was supposed to be 'on a surface', not 'service'. Autocorrect! LOL
  • Mrswoffy13Mrswoffy13 Posts: 1 New Member
    I feel like my life will never be the same after finding this out!!!! IM SO EXCITED!
  • MiaSkywalkerMiaSkywalker Posts: 3,436 Member
    I don't think this works. Using the floor positioning, the items are now on the level of the floor, not at the level of the surface. So far as I know, the game itself doesn't offer a way to raise items off the floor without being on a surface. Even if you have the item on a table, then use MOO and move the item, the item drops to floor level as soon as it is away from the surface.

There are two ways that I know of to raise the height of an item, but both of those methods require the use of a mod. (The mod wouldn't be included in the upload, and the items will stay in place for other users, but those other users won't be able to move those items around without messing up the positioning completely.)

The two mods that will allow height change are Nraas DebugEnabler's delta function, and an item called Decorator's Best Friend. I have both of those, but have not tried usin the second one yet.

If there's some other trick to it that the OP doesn't seem to say, I'd really like to know what it is.
  • KokoaBean222KokoaBean222 Posts: 1 New Member
    > @MiaSkywalker said:
    > I don't think this works. Using the floor positioning, the items are now on the level of the floor, not at the level of the surface. So far as I know, the game itself doesn't offer a way to raise items off the floor without being on a surface. Even if you have the item on a table, then use MOO and move the item, the item drops to floor level as soon as it is away from the surface.
    >
    > There are two ways that I know of to raise the height of an item, but both of those methods require the use of a mod. (The mod wouldn't be included in the upload, and the items will stay in place for other users, but those other users won't be able to move those items around without messing up the positioning completely.)
    >
    > The two mods that will allow height change are Nraas DebugEnabler's delta function, and an item called Decorator's Best Friend. I have both of those, but have not tried usin the second one yet.
    >
    > If there's some other trick to it that the OP doesn't seem to say, I'd really like to know what it is.

I don't know if you still need to know, but you can use 9 and 0 on the keyboard to elevate the object (9 for up and 0 for down)
  • creativemetaphorcreativemetaphor Posts: 1,543 Member
    [quote="KokoaBean222;c-17531554"I don't know if you still need to know, but you can use 9 and 0 on the keyboard to elevate the object (9 for up and 0 for down)[/quote]

I have no idea how it is some of you are doing this, or you are just skillfully trolling the rests of us. Are you thinking of Sims 4, because there is no way in Sims 3 I can find to make your assertion true.
  • MiaSkywalkerMiaSkywalker Posts: 3,436 Member
    I don't know if you still need to know, but you can use 9 and 0 on the keyboard to elevate the object (9 for up and 0 for down)

I have no idea how it is some of you are doing this, or you are just skillfully trolling the rests of us. Are you thinking of Sims 4, because there is no way in Sims 3 I can find to make your assertion true.
    Either clueless or trolling, most definitely, CM. It's like they didn't even pay attention to which forum this was on! (Sims 3 builders, anyone? Sheesh.)
  • Succulent_FerretSucculent_Ferret Posts: 1 New Member
    This doesn't work at all!! It glitches into the wall abd then onto the other countertop, I don't know how simmers do this please help
  • Vikinggirl64Vikinggirl64 Posts: 1 New Member
    I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to note this hack works only if you have the move objects cheat on, which is “bb.moveobjects”.
  • ThheFornicatorThheFornicator Posts: 27 Member
    Thanks a lot for this amazing trick. Anyone who says this doesn't work is either doing it wrong or is a complete jerk. I came across this thread in search for solution and got it solved in the first attempt. Thank you so much
    I move where my heart takes me.. I am not bound to anything.