Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Let's talk about the flawed emotion system

Comments

• Options
    JasonRMJJasonRMJ Posts: 744 Member
    I remember while I was playing Sims 2 and I didn't know the squeeze interaction is a romantic action and I click it anyway thinking it was a friendly interaction, until his wife immediately divorce him because it was cheating....
    39829553185_e53f1e3e20_o_d.jpg

• Options
    Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    HalloMolli wrote: »
    Pmike16 wrote: »
    Agreed. Emotions is one of the most celebrated "additions", and even that they can't implement well. But hey, at least CAS is tactile and intuitive.

It - the eomotion system - works well and therefore as intended. Don't see a problem here.
    They implemented the vampires in Sims 3 as intended, meaning that they planned townies to turn into ones autonomously. I don't think many simmers thought they implemented them 'well' that way though, it got irritating quite fast. Implementing features as intended isn't automatically the same thing as implementing them well. I think they overlooked things when they came up with the 'emotions as gameplay' idea as far as many simmers are concerned. For many people sims should react to major events, events they can relate to (death, being cheated on, not taking a particular shower or being in a room with an item that happens to have an 'aura'). And simmers also want their sims to remember things, emotions shouldn't be very temporary buffs that mean nothing and aren't aimed at particular sims. When my sim in Sims 4 is tense, they will react tense and unfriendly towards everyone. When my sim in 2 or 3 is mad at someone, they will only be unfriendly to that person, not to anyone. I had a sim in 3 who was mad at my sim and she refused to dance with him (two days after he had suggested to just be friends). Instead she started dancing with someone else. That's how I want emotions to be handled.

I agree... I am actually one of those people who gets irritated when my town is fully of way too many vampires or supernaturals (as much as I enjoy them). My sims when to college and it was,like hogwarts in harry potter! It was FULL of supernaturals. Lole No humans at all except for her and a sprinkle of others and by graduation that had got worse, her professor had turned into one and a bunch of her roommates lol. I was like whats going on! Thats being said I get what you mean. The idea of the emotion system is brilliant imo. But was it implemented to its full potential well no. I dont think it was.

"Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • Options
    Sims in TS4 do react to major events, if that does not happen in your game chances are high you are experiencing a bug.

But I agree it would be cool if it was possible to connect emotions to particular sims in certain situations. Sometimes it would really make sense.

Yes they may react to major events but for how long? Or to add will they remember it? I purposely kept an urn of a sims parent around just so she could get sad every once in a while about her parents death. Just to give the idea that she remembered her parent died. If I hadnt done that once the sad emotion left she would of forgotten her parent completely. And moved on as if it never happened.
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited September 2016
    Agreed. Emotions is one of the most celebrated "additions", and even that they can't implement well. But hey, at least CAS is tactile and intuitive.

It - the eomotion system - works well and therefore as intended. Don't see a problem here.
    They implemented the vampires in Sims 3 as intended, meaning that they planned townies to turn into ones autonomously. I don't think many simmers thought they implemented them 'well' that way though, it got irritating quite fast. Implementing features as intended isn't automatically the same thing as implementing them well. I think they overlooked things when they came up with the 'emotions as gameplay' idea as far as many simmers are concerned. For many people sims should react to major events, events they can relate to (death, being cheated on, not taking a particular shower or being in a room with an item that happens to have an 'aura'). And simmers also want their sims to remember things, emotions shouldn't be very temporary buffs that mean nothing and aren't aimed at particular sims. When my sim in Sims 4 is tense, they will react tense and unfriendly towards everyone. When my sim in 2 or 3 is mad at someone, they will only be unfriendly to that person, not to anyone. I had a sim in 3 who was mad at my sim and she refused to dance with him (two days after he had suggested to just be friends). Instead she started dancing with someone else. That's how I want emotions to be handled.

I agree... I am actually one of those people who gets irritated when my town is fully of way too many vampires or supernaturals (as much as I enjoy them). My sims when to college and it was,like hogwarts in harry potter! It was FULL of supernaturals. Lole No humans at all except for her and a sprinkle of others and by graduation that had got worse, her professor had turned into one and a bunch of her roommates lol. I was like whats going on! Thats being said I get what you mean. The idea of the emotion system is brilliant imo. But was it implemented to its full potential well no. I dont think it was.
    That was your own fault :p University was released March 2013, disabling supernaturals came with patch 38, August 2012.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options

That was your own fault :p University was released March 2013, disabling supernaturals came with patch 38, August 2012.

I found that out the hard way lol Now I know when I play to limit the supernaturals because they can get out of control
  • Options
    Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member
    My issue with the emotion system is that the moods change too easily. & I've said it in other threads, everything is 'happy, happy'. My Sim just caught her spouse cheating. She get hits with the jealousy moodlet for 24 hours, but something over powers it & 2 seconds later she can have a happy conversation with him. Or if my Sim gets into a fight, he'll be angry for a minute, but 2 seconds later can have a happy conversation with the person that just beat him up. I get a bit frustrated with this, as I want the emotions and their moods to stick. I hate to go back to another game, but look at TS2. If a Sim got caught cheating, there was no way you could have a 'happy' conversation with them; it wasn't happening. They would have 'fury' & there was a cool off period before you could even have a pleasant convo with them. I'm not sure what needs to happen in TS4 , but I'd like to see more consequences & some of the 'negative' emotions stick for a more in depth game play experience.

• Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    edited September 2016
    I feel the emotions and multi-tasking features could create a very deep game, but EA have opened a can of worms with both and it's probably too much for them handle. It multiplies the amount of work they normally have to do in a sims game.

I find myself wishing these features weren't so prominent. Multi-tasking is making my sims busy-bodies who can't settle down and focus. Emotions just seems to get in my way. I want my sims to do something, but their current emotional state is ruining it. I just want my sims to react emotionally and realistically to situations I put them in. I don't want to have to react to their emotions and adjust my game play to their current emotion, or feel the need to change it to match what I want to do. That's wasting my time.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    CK213 wrote: »
    I feel the emotions and multi-tasking features could create a very deep game, but EA have opened a can of worms with both and it's probably too much for them handle. It multiplies the amount of work they normally have to do in a sims game.

I find myself wishing these features weren't so prominent. Multi-tasking is making my sims busy-bodies who can't settle down and focus. Emotions just seems to get in my way. I want my sims to do something, but their current emotional state is ruining it. I just want my sims to react emotionally and realistically to situations I put them in. I don't want to have to react to their emotions and adjust my game play to their current emotion, or feel the need to change it to match what I want to do. That's wasting my time.
    Especially since the emotion often has nothing to do with what's happening before you. I can see how that could be what playing the game is about (manipulating the emotions in order to achieve things), but I'm not intererested in manipulating and achieving things isn't my main goal in the game. The emotions are inferior to what's actually happening in the game and I can't imagine that was their initial purpose.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    HermaiHermai Posts: 366 Member
    I don't like this gameplay based on emotions. At first I thought it was fun, but later on a felt like I was always manipulating the emotions of my sims so they could do a certain thing. And I don't like that. For me, emotions should be just a consequence of what happens in sim's lives, not a gimmick to manipulate all the time. Maybe when they were more "hidden" they felt more fun.
  • Options
    midnightpearlmidnightpearl Posts: 6,578 Member
    yeah, the Devs spent way too much time on the ''emotion'' thing and not enough time working on the actual Sims game, like not adding a toddler stage and still waiting for toddlers- so it's about emotions and quite frankly when I read about this before the base came out, I was very put off about it and thought it''ll be a failure and I'm right! The emotions have put me off playing a Sim game, I know it's nowhere near like TS2 and TS3 but the ''emotions'' have ruined my gameplay for me. That is why I've gone back to TS2!
  • Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    edited September 2016
    Hermai wrote: »
    I don't like this gameplay based on emotions. At first I thought it was fun, but later on a felt like I was always manipulating the emotions of my sims so they could do a certain thing. And I don't like that. For me, emotions should be just a consequence of what happens in sim's lives, not a gimmick to manipulate all the time. Maybe when they were more "hidden" they felt more fun.

I like that manipulating the emotions is entirely optional, I never use the emotional auras for example, and I always choose the interactions that give emotional moodlets for the interaction itself. I usually just go with the flow with whatever emotion my Sims are currently in, I think it makes the gameplay extremely fluid, and I think the more content, the better it will be.

I think the emotion system could be even better with a bit more granularity (more steps than Inspired/Very Inspired), and with the more common Happy buffs being less impactful. At the moment, some moodlets (like Well fed for example) have too big an impact on how our Sims feel, though removing the Decoration buffs goes a long way to make the emotion system better already.
  • Options
    teaa5teaa5 Posts: 1,407 Member
    JasonRMJ wrote: »
    I have a problem with this game's emotional system on treating sims emotion with it's flawed rating/grading mood. How in the H? can a Sim become happy (any positive emotion) in a decorated room with max motive when their love ones are gone in a day? and they are not very sentimental when they see their love ones grave. It just doesn't really make sense at all, when their emotion keeps changing back as positive to negative; vice versa. I find it extremely awkward to see my sims becoming happy in a moment when they lose a fight when they have the Self-Assured/Hot-Headed trait. How are they even smart sims, when they can't even control their emotion correctly? seriously you get depressed in a wedding while it's a happy moment in life. not only that a child sim can become "uncomfortable" when there's a monster in their bed, why isn't there a Fear/scared emotion when it's suitable?

The emotional system is a let down and has a very flawed scoring system that outweigh's certain emotion in favor for another one, with a grading system that overwhelm the mood of a sim.

I suggest that certain events that ties with the emotions must be made permanent until time passes. what do you think? Should the developers take a look at the emotions and add in a another crucial emotion (Scared)?

My sims seem to be on "happy" pill all the time no matter the circumstances;)
    00.jpg

Origin ID : kateteaa Twitter: MunchPumpkins
    Sims 3 wishlist: http://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=teaa5
    Sims 4 origin wishlist: https://www.origin.com/gbr/en-us/view-wishlist/7a1SQrtJtdHoNce4KS_ZTg--
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    JasonRMJ wrote: »
    I remember while I was playing Sims 2 and I didn't know the squeeze interaction is a romantic action and I click it anyway thinking it was a friendly interaction, until his wife immediately divorce him because it was cheating....

That's hilarious XD
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    I'll keep sounding like a broken record, favorite combined with emotions, would have made sims unique. To me it should have been a launch feature, because they made a big deal about sims with emotions and personalities, and yet they don't have favorites.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    Neia wrote: »

I like that manipulating the emotions is entirely optional, I never use the emotional auras for example, and I always choose the interactions that give emotional moodlets for the interaction itself. I usually just go with the flow with whatever emotion my Sims are currently in, I think it makes the gameplay extremely fluid, and I think the more content, the better it will be.

I think the emotion system could be even better with a bit more granularity (more steps than Inspired/Very Inspired), and with the more common Happy buffs being less impactful. At the moment, some moodlets (like Well fed for example) have too big an impact on how our Sims feel, though removing the Decoration buffs goes a long way to make the emotion system better already.
    It may be optional, but it's also the way the devs created the game, it's supposed to be the way you handle those emotions (like HalloMolli called it, and for this game I agree with that, the 'appropriate' way). And that simply shows. It's what the gameplay is based on, so if you don't like that, you sort of fall into no-man's-land.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options

It may be optional, but it's also the way the devs created the game, it's supposed to be the way you handle those emotions (like HalloMolli called it, and for this game I agree with that, the 'appropriate' way). And that simply shows. It's what the gameplay is based on, so if you don't like that, you sort of fall into no-man's-land.

I don't think so, because the moodlets aren't always obvious to the player, and can be a random result of an interaction (like playing Don't wake the Llama can make your Sims sad or happy) so manipulation isn't the only way designed into the game actually, otherwise it would be made so that the player know beforehand what is happening (like the aura or the potions, which tells you the emotion, and falls into the "manipulate the emotion"). Manipulating the emotions is not more the "appropriate" way than going with the flow, both are choices available to the player.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member

I'll use the emotional auras to set up rooms for specific functions. For example, in my art studio I will activate emotional auras so Sims can get in the proper "mood" for creating. In the study with the computer I'll activate either the Focused or Inspired mood auras for the same reason. Most of my houses are aura free except for those few areas.

One thing that would help in the case of the original post is that less weight be given to decor or other buffs when a strong emotion is present, so that the change isn't that drastic. For example, if you're really sad about something you shouldn't immediately be happy as soon as you go into a well-decorated room -- maybe at most you'll go to a neutral state like Fine but the Sad moodlet will still be there in the background to pop up when you least expect it. Even in real life, you're not sad constantly 24/7 after the death of a loved one -- sometimes a friend or family member will share a funny story about the departed, or maybe you see a picture of them or something they cherished and you'll feel a little better. Or someone will ask how you are and you don't want to go into detail so you say, "I'm FINE." That sort of thing. A wider application of the neutral/Fine emotion could help minimize the feeling that Sims are subject to such wild mood swings.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options

I'll use the emotional auras to set up rooms for specific functions. For example, in my art studio I will activate emotional auras so Sims can get in the proper "mood" for creating. In the study with the computer I'll activate either the Focused or Inspired mood auras for the same reason. Most of my houses are aura free except for those few areas.

One thing that would help in the case of the original post is that less weight be given to decor or other buffs when a strong emotion is present, so that the change isn't that drastic. For example, if you're really sad about something you shouldn't immediately be happy as soon as you go into a well-decorated room -- maybe at most you'll go to a neutral state like Fine but the Sad moodlet will still be there in the background to pop up when you least expect it. Even in real life, you're not sad constantly 24/7 after the death of a loved one -- sometimes a friend or family member will share a funny story about the departed, or maybe you see a picture of them or something they cherished and you'll feel a little better. Or someone will ask how you are and you don't want to go into detail so you say, "I'm FINE." That sort of thing. A wider application of the neutral/Fine emotion could help minimize the feeling that Sims are subject to such wild mood swings.

In this particular case, I think a progressive moodlet would work great, like a Sad +3 on the first day, then +2, then +1 for example, so your Sims would be inconsolable on the first day, and would recover from it progressively, with it becoming easier to go into the Happy side.

I wish the Well decorated moodlets were like the auras, and could be disabled.
  • Options
    alexandreaalexandrea Posts: 2,432 Member
    Sims in TS4 do react to major events, if that does not happen in your game chances are high you are experiencing a bug.

But I agree it would be cool if it was possible to connect emotions to particular sims in certain situations. Sometimes it would really make sense.

They really don't though.
    p6tqefj
  • Options
    GlacierGlacier Posts: 193 Member
    I think the emotion system can be tuned, but probably not overhauled, because it already permeates nearly every part of the game. I would say, if you hate the emotion system, you hate Sims 4. In principle, you can ignore the emotion and get things done, but you just see the emotion get in the way everywhere. If you want to play Sims 4, you need to accept the emotion system as it is.
  • Options
    alliscrazyalliscrazy Posts: 3 New Member
    I find some of them very odd as well but I try to think of it this way; even if we as humans are depressed, we have things that can distract us and keep our minds off our sadness. The underlying depression is still there, but there are still things that make us smile and temporarily feel better. I know that I would feel better being in a room with lots of sunlight that is clean and nicely decorated than I would if I were in a dark room that was messy. I instantly feel better when I sit down to drink a nice cup of tea or relax in my hammock with a book. The same things apply to our sims. I don't think it's completely unrealistic, it's just exaggerated. :smile:
  • Options
    Lomelindi7Lomelindi7 Posts: 1,339 Member
    Yea I agree with you. The emotions system has a lot of issues. For the most part, they just change too quickly and aren't difficult to solve. I wish it were easier to get to the next stage of emotions. I know that sounds wrong... But I've never actually seen my sim become depressed. They never get deeper into the sadness emotion. I would be interested in playing with a sim who maybe was feeling down for a little while. Most of the emotions are experienced for less than a sim hour, so I totally ignore them. I rarely do an action related to the emotion. I just wish it had been deeper. The moodlets in 3 did a better job of influencing sims' behaviour in some ways, and I don't think that system was perfect either.
  • Options
    OrihuelaSimOrihuelaSim Posts: 37 Member
    I don't usually reply in this way but... I hate the emotion system!
    The best "emotion system" was of The Sims 2: Memories, Wants and Fears. At least you can't manipulate the emotion of a Sim by a decoration.
  • Options
    arletaarleta Posts: 54 Member
    Well, first: If you are scared you feel uncomfortable. The word uncomfortable is just not as specific as you would expect it to be (you are right on that matter). Maybe they will add more emotions with new eps. We will see.

However, what you encounter in your game is a consequence of the emotion-system being very flexible and convenient in its outcome. Some simmers won't like it and I can totally understand that because if you don't use it appropriately it can be rather irritating and messed up sometimes. But I, personally have learned to work with 'emotions' and know about the potential for story telling the game provides with them.

For example, you plan a wedding and want everybody to become happy - no problem, after all the game gives you the tools to achieve it + you have several possibilities: Whether you decorate nicely, cook certain meals or trigger special interactions with certain sims it's all your choice.

Another example: you are at a get together with a group of sims and you want to make them fight/angry at each other. You can do the same. Always, at any time. You have control over the outcome of any conversation or action if you wish, even if your sims are not involved.

---

Just for the record. The Sims 3 had a similar problem where sims sometimes didn't behave accordingly to their actions they had performed prior:

https://youtu.be/IL1X26I_83s?t=471

"Trips is very angry with Grace." --> Yet he still decides to kiss her autonomously.
    Well, first: If you are scared you feel uncomfortable. The word uncomfortable is just not as specific as you would expect it to be (you are right on that matter). Maybe they will add more emotions with new eps. We will see.

However, what you encounter in your game is a consequence of the emotion-system being very flexible and convenient in its outcome. Some simmers won't like it and I can totally understand that because if you don't use it appropriately it can be rather irritating and messed up sometimes. But I, personally have learned to work with 'emotions' and know about the potential for story telling the game provides with them.

For example, you plan a wedding and want everybody to become happy - no problem, after all the game gives you the tools to achieve it + you have several possibilities: Whether you decorate nicely, cook certain meals or trigger special interactions with certain sims it's all your choice.

Another example: you are at a get together with a group of sims and you want to make them fight/angry at each other. You can do the same. Always, at any time. You have control over the outcome of any conversation or action if you wish, even if your sims are not involved.

---

Just for the record. The Sims 3 had a similar problem where sims sometimes didn't behave accordingly to their actions they had performed prior:

https://youtu.be/IL1X26I_83s?t=471

"Trips is very angry with Grace." --> Yet he still decides to kiss her autonomously.

• Options
    arletaarleta Posts: 54 Member
    edited August 2020
    I completely agree. The emotion system is terrible in sims 4. They advertised it as if it was amazing and improved. The algorithms managing it are wack. My sims 3 were more diverse and interesting. Traits have nearly zero influence on emotional responses and neither do character values. If I have an evil or mean Sim why are they angry when they make an enemy or when someone is mean or mischievous? Shouldn’t they be happy? Or at least feel confident(since we are literally working with like 8 emotions. I don’t consider very a very different emotion. If you are embarrassed then mortified is just embarrassed. If you need levels let’s stick to two. I don’t need flirty or very flirty. It’s just flirty) I see no difference. All the sims have the same responses to every event no matter the traits or situation. And when they don’t it’s not because of the trait or situation. It’s random and senseless. When a sim gets sad at a wedding it’s not because they are evil or any other trait, it’s not because weddings make them sad (that would make sense). It’s something stupid, not related nonsense. One of my sim killed 6 spouses. I won the black widow achievement, which does nothing, and this murderous, uncommitted sim had the same response as my evil sim to losing a spouse (or 6) or my romantic or one with soulmate aspiration. I see no difference. She was sad for 2 days if she liked her spouse or hated them. After 2 days she forgot she was even married (that is another pet peeve I have). They jump from emotion to emotion with boiler plate happenings without any distinction or with little sense. Or you get an occasional random emotion from the traits that comes and goes. I guess the creators thought that was the big breakthrough. Sorry HalloMolli but if you are scared the emotion is scared not uncomfortable. Sims3 seams to have understood that. Since my sims would actually get moodlets appropriate to the situation based on their character traits. Like a brave sim exploring a tomb would not get phased by scary things or even would get a thrilled moodlet. My sim shouldn’t feel embarrassed when scared. They should feel scared. They shouldn’t feel only happy, confident or flirty. Why talk about vampires if it produces no emotional response. She should feel content, calm, scared, they should feel different around their spouse of many years and different around a new flirt. In sims 4 my bookworm sim puts any book away after 5 minutes of reading just like all my other sims. None of them seam to like reading even the bookworm ones. My mean sim gets upset when someone is mean to them, just like the good sim. Why? Shouldn’t they be happy with mischievous interactions. Then my sim with an awful reputation gets a call to meet someone who is also awful, but when they meet they have nothing in common. If my sims is awful, mean and evil shouldn’t others feel scared of them (at least some). In sims 3 at least they can talk about shared traits. Even that is unavailable. They get the same interaction and they reacted to them the same way. Not to mention if you pick any friendly interaction no matter how stupid it’s just counted as friendly. Like I don’t even care what they talk about: vampires, deep conversation, baking, reading, pigeons. They are viewed as one pot. You can literally pick the same friendly interaction over and over and over again. It would just count as friendly. You can gush about your partner to an uncommitted sim and they will react just like a hopeless romantic. How is that realistic? I had one sims with all positive character traits gained from childhood and and A in high school and one with all negative and a F in high school. They interact the same. My overachiever couldn’t graduate (top notch toddler, super scout) and was put on probation. My flunky (Irresponsible, argumentative etc) was nailing all his courses, doing homework without being told and just graduated swimmingly. Both jump from embarrassment to angry to 90% happy in the same scenarios. Same things make them happy, embarrassed, sad. I rather have the moodlet system back then this inconsistent, frazzled emotional system with narrow possibilities of emotional diversity. In sims 3 sims would actually get annoyed or bored when you chose the subject of conversation which they did not a care about. How do you tell stories when nothing is lasting? Another issue I have is no long term consequences. A death of a loved one, which was loved (As in the actual relationship should matter) should have an impact on sims life. There are no memories so if a sim’s loved one dies you get 2 sad days and then they forget all about it. At least previous sims games had memories. My sim cries the same at an urn of a loved one or a stranger. No difference. Then takes a shower and is happy again baking a stupid cake or some inconsequential drivel. The point system is terrible and doesn’t reflect importance, character values and traits (The few we got) have almost no impact on gameplay, there are no memories so nothing matters in the long run. They are literally emotional clones that jump through feelings like a roller coaster on Ritalin. I would like some of the achievements to be turned into traits or long impact. If my sim has 6 spouses die on them maybe at least they should be a subject of gossip or suspicion (we don’t have that emotion). Like I said I rather the moodlets from sims 3. At least they reflected level of importance, traits and situation. This system is just making sims look Like emotional crazy clones. I miss the lady that would wack sim with a cane. I think she was introduced in sims 2. One of a kind

Ps: my vampires are angry when you call them at night. Isn’t that a time they should be awake? Sims logic for you. They didn’t even get that right
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top