Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A Plea to Maxis - An Identity Crisis

LogisitcsLogisitcs Posts: 1,156 Member
edited September 2016 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
Dear Maxis,

With the recent change of leadership I am going to write a very long piece on The Sims 4 hoping that there will be some change. After looking at the trailer for City Living and reading the reveal blog I am absolutely exasperated! I am tired of coming and going, screaming at the top of my lungs about the fundamental problems with the Sims 4 and nothing being done about it. I am going to lay this out, very very clearly.

When it was stated, that the Sims 4 would be about the sims themselves, I believe that was a lie. Because in 11 packs for this game, NOT ONE has done ANYTHING to give further depth to a sims' personality! There was a reason I played BASE TS2 hours on end, and that was because of the sims themselves! They were individual, they were unique, their interactions with each other were all different! Brandi Broke, Cassandra Goth, Jennifer Burb, Dina Caliente; they were all different! Their wants and fears were different, they're autonomous actions were all different! They were complete, individual sims with an identity! Compare this with the Sims 4 and it is a STRIKING contrast because the sims all act the same in TS4!

Going back to the packs, what have they added to deepen a sims personality? Nothing! Nothing at all! Not even an attempt! It's just objects after objects after objects being thrown at us with interactions that have no lasting effect! Where is the chemistry between sims?! Where is the Fury when a sim upsets another sim?! Where is the turn ons and turn offs?! Where are the interests and hobbies?! Give my sim an identity! The Sims 4 is not about the sims themselves it's about what objects our sims can interact with and this DOES NOT make for lasting interesting gameplay!

I am a soap opera player, and I have seen this happen over and over and over again to the point where I stop playing the game out of frustration. Every single sim behaves this way regardless of traits; sim A catches sim B cheating with sim C, the relationship between Sim A and B takes a hit, nothing occurs between A and C. Sim A yells at Sim B and then... ALL 3 of them have a friendly conversation with one another! Please play out that scenario in TS2 and you'll see something very different, that is why I could play TS2 for hours on end and TS4 makes me roll my eyes and quit game. This brings me to my next point.

The emotions system and sims AI needs a massive overhaul! You took, a horrible part of Rod Humble's legacy and made it even worse! What you should have done, was combine the buffs/debuff moodlet mechanic WITH the memory system of TS2, and have those profound buffs/debuffs leave a lasting effect/memory on a sims life. A child sim's parent dies, the child is of course sad for 2 days, but when the moodlet wears off? Happy, happy as can be and the parent is long forgotten and never thought of or mourned again! THIS IS NOT INTERESTING FUN GAMEPLAY! This is broken! Sims should remember and recall moments throughout their life and it should affect them (please watch Inside Out)! and the current system in place doesn't cut it!

Happy is too powerful and happens too often that it overrides almost all of the traits and everything else! The traits don't even define a sim, what they do is indicate which skill a particular sim is gonna skill faster in and what emotional state they're gonna be in if Happy isn't overriding it! Also the switching back and forth of emotions because of the decor of the house is ridiculous, either have the sim locked to a certain emotional state for a period of time or nerf the happy decor buff!

Please listen, it has been 2 years! You make claims that you want TS4 to be a "live service", that you want it running for as long as possible, then fix... the Sims... themselves. Give each one an identity! Why are Lifetime Aspirations RPG goal oriented? Scrap whims, bring back wants and fears, retool Lifetime Aspirations to have more of an effect on a sims autonomous actions, and improve traits! Have the traits work with the lifetime aspiration to control what sim does and doesn't do AUTONOMOUSLY! Have it control what wants and fears gets rolled!

Eg. A painter extraordinaire sim with a loner trait would focus on painting, and when he is disturbed by another sim after a while he would want to shoo them away to continue his work and after a bit he does so on his own! That is an example of a unique sim. Currently, if a painter sim with a loner trait is interrupted from painting by someone, they have a full conversation, the painter can get some lame debuff, and he goes off and does something else and doesn't touch the easel unless directed too! What is that?! That is not the gameplay I've come to know from the Sims series!

Now with all that said I don't know if there's more to City Life, but at the moment it looks like nothing is being added to the sims themselves which is a shame. I can honestly go on and on and list more examples of the sims not being unique, so I'm pleading, begging, STOP! STOP THINKING ON WHAT YOU CAN MAKE THE SIMS DO and start thinking about how to make the sims individual, with unique personalities that respond and react and act in different ways. Because right now, they all act the same, regardless of traits and it is boring.

tl;dr Sims 4 focuses too much on what the sims can do and not on the sims themselves and their personalities and actions.

Comments

• Options
    KevWalkerKevWalker Posts: 810 Member
    In general I agree with you, the whole emotion/trait system needs reworking to more accurately reflect the way our sims feel and react to the people and events around them, rather than being a way of manipulating buffs to facilitate game goals. Also the plethora of object buffs need to go and our sims could use another trait slot (at least) together with the personal stuff such as favourites to make them even more individual. We could also use some more negative emotions such as fear. This has all been said before however and at this stage I don't think things are going to change.
  • Options
    james64468james64468 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Them reason are why I called The sims 4 overgrown MMO.
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    I feel you. I was hoping that the third EP would bring something to the sims (favourites, preference system or even something better like a relationsystem overhaul). I'm not a big fan of how the emotions work either, but not sure what they can do about those at this point... even some minor tweaks could help though (smaller decoration buffs anyone?). To be fair Get Together gave us tools to affect the sim behaviour, so maybe I will have to wait for the fourth EP. Many people seem to like what's coming with City Life, mainly the amount of objects and things to do.
  • Options
    HopeTahHopeTah Posts: 144 Member
    Logisitcs wrote: »
    Because right now, they all act the same, regardless of traits and it is boring.

tl;dr Sims 4 focuses too much on what the sims can do and not on the sims themselves and their personalities and actions.

The entire thing is quotable, but this puts it in a nutshell. Without active intervention from me, all my playables basically act like the same Sim, differentiated only by their appearance.

• Options
    alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    Dear Maxis,

With the recent change of leadership I am going to write a very long piece on The Sims 4 hoping that there will be some change. After looking at the trailer for City Living and reading the reveal blog I am absolutely exasperated! I am tired of coming and going, screaming at the top of my lungs about the fundamental problems with the Sims 4 and nothing being done about it. I am going to lay this out, very very clearly.

When it was stated, that the Sims 4 would be about the sims themselves, I believe that was a lie. Because in 11 packs for this game, NOT ONE has done ANYTHING to give further depth to a sims' personality! There was a reason I played BASE TS2 hours on end, and that was because of the sims themselves! They were individual, they were unique, their interactions with each other were all different! Brandi Broke, Cassandra Goth, Jennifer Burb, Dina Caliente; they were all different! Their wants and fears were different, they're autonomous actions were all different! They were complete, individual sims with an identity! Compare this with the Sims 4 and it is a STRIKING contrast because the sims all act the same in TS4!

Going back to the packs, what have they added to deepen a sims personality? Nothing! Nothing at all! Not even an attempt! It's just objects after objects after objects being thrown at us with interactions that have no lasting effect! Where is the chemistry between sims?! Where is the Fury when a sim upsets another sim?! Where is the turn ons and turn offs?! Where are the interests and hobbies?! Give my sim an identity! The Sims 4 is not about the sims themselves it's about what objects our sims can interact with and this DOES NOT make for lasting interesting gameplay!

I am a soap opera player, and I have seen this happen over and over and over again to the point where I stop playing the game out of frustration. Every single sim behaves this way regardless of traits; sim A catches sim B cheating with sim C, the relationship between Sim A and B takes a hit, nothing occurs between A and C. Sim A yells at Sim B and then... ALL 3 of them have a friendly conversation with one another! Please play out that scenario in TS2 and you'll see something very different, that is why I could play TS2 for hours on end and TS4 makes me roll my eyes and quit game. This brings me to my next point.

The emotions system and sims AI needs a massive overhaul! You took, a horrible part of Rod Humble's legacy and made it even worse! What you should have done, was combine the buffs/debuff moodlet mechanic WITH the memory system of TS2, and have those profound buffs/debuffs leave a lasting effect/memory on a sims life. A child sim's parent dies, the child is of course sad for 2 days, but when the moodlet wears off? Happy, happy as can be and the parent is long forgotten and never thought of or mourned again! THIS IS NOT INTERESTING FUN GAMEPLAY! This is broken! Sims should remember and recall moments throughout their life and it should affect them (please watch Inside Out)! and the current system in place doesn't cut it!

Happy is too powerful and happens too often that it overrides almost all of the traits and everything else! The traits don't even define a sim, what they do is indicate which skill a particular sim is gonna skill faster in and what emotional state they're gonna be in if Happy isn't overriding it! Also the switching back and forth of emotions because of the decor of the house is ridiculous, either have the sim locked to a certain emotional state for a period of time or nerf the happy decor buff!

Please listen, it has been 2 years! You make claims that you want TS4 to be a "live service", that you want it running for as long as possible, then fix... the Sims... themselves. Give each one an identity! Why are Lifetime Aspirations RPG goal oriented? Scrap whims, bring back wants and fears, retool Lifetime Aspirations to have more of an effect on a sims autonomous actions, and improve traits! Have the traits work with the lifetime aspiration to control what sim does and doesn't do AUTONOMOUSLY! Have it control what wants and fears gets rolled!

Eg. A painter extraordinaire sim with a loner trait would focus on painting, and when he is disturbed by another sim after a while he would want to shoo them away to continue his work and after a bit he does so on his own! That is an example of a unique sim. Currently, if a painter sim with a loner trait is interrupted from painting by someone, they have a full conversation, the painter can get some lame debuff, and he goes off and does something else and doesn't touch the easel unless directed too! What is that?! That is not the gameplay I've come to know from the Sims series!

Now with all that said I don't know if there's more to City Life, but at the moment it looks like nothing is being added to the sims themselves which is a shame. I can honestly go on and on and list more examples of the sims not being unique, so I'm pleading, begging, STOP! STOP THINKING ON WHAT YOU CAN MAKE THE SIMS DO and start thinking about how to make the sims individual, with unique personalities that respond and react and act in different ways. Because right now, they all act the same, regardless of traits and it is boring.

Even as a fan of this game I wholeheartedly agree with you! The emotions system is so imbalanced and traits barely mean anything in this game! I use a mod to completely get rid of the AWFUL surroundings buff because Happy truly does override all other emotions. It does make for repetitive and similar Sims. This game should have the most unique and interesting of all generations of Sims but, without my imagination, they all end up acting the same for the most part. The traits should not be emotion-based but based on the TRAIT ITSELF. I loved in Sims 3 how multiple traits had their own unique animations and you could definitely tell what trait they have. The traits, emotions, and therefore individuality of Sims 4 sims is the number one problem with this game and I wish they would address this!

• Options
    EGrace93EGrace93 Posts: 95 Member
    I agree with this so much. I also wish they would give us more traits and aspirations instead of just stuff. I have a lot of sims and it feels like they're all the same person both because of the limited amount of traits and the way the traits don't matter. I have an evil sim and a mean sim right now but you wouldn't be able to tell from the way they behave. I do like the game but I would appreciate more personality for my sims
  • Options
    IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    I would vote for a return of the personality sliders along with the weighting they give to motive decay and interaction choice. The reason given for dropping them in the first place was that players tended to keep them set around mid range and then complained that their sims didn't seem very different from each other. My reply is yes, so did I, but that was deliberate as in my game I wanted most of the sims to be mid-range so that the few I wanted to behave in an extreme way would stand out. The subtle differences between each mid-range setting was still just enough to vary the interactions they chose for a lot of the time, so you didn't get ALL sims rushing to do the same thing as soon as they got anywhere.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    I guess that the OP is a bit disappointed in TS4 then?

Too be honest, if you want to see some big changes you won't see that in TS4. Maybe try waiting for TS5 instead?
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    Sim_LucentSim_Lucent Posts: 689 Member
    Too be honest, if you want to see some big changes you won't see that in TS4. Maybe try waiting for TS5 instead?

lol.. always the advocate for TS5. I wish I had the same positive outlook that you have that the next game will be any better.

But.. yeah. I want to applaud OP's post.

I know the missing features from the game are some of the biggest deal breakers for a lot of players, and the missing potential for game styles. I agree with all of this too.. but for me, it's also the very fundamentals of this game that just don't work. It makes no sense to me that my lazy sim suddenly is dropping down and doing push ups, all because they feel 'energized.' It makes no sense to me that my sim is supposed to hate another sim, and all they do is smile and chat with them.

When they said they cut features and certain aspects of the game to focus on the sims themselves, it was like a slap to the face after watching one of your favorite games become something entirely different.. especially when the things they said didn't add up to the final product.

The emotion system could have been really cool, and could have given the game a lot of potential if it worked properly with traits and the individual sims themselves. As it turns out, if I open this game, I'm spent trying to imagine them all as individuals.. because otherwise, they literally do the same thing. It's not immersive, and it's not fun (for me).

Just.. smh.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    Sigh... moved to feedback, is this going to reach the team's attention or did I just waste my time? Do they even care? Do they want to make changes to the emotions/traits/AI?

Yes I am disappointed in the Sims 4, but I do believe it has the POTENTIAL to be a very fun game if the Sims behavior and personalities were looked at and changed. But multiple people have been shouting the same thing for 2 years now and nothing has been done.
  • Options
    ZhakiraPZhakiraP Posts: 1,439 Member

Can you please ask your crystal ball if I should buy a lottery ticket or not?
    It would be very helpful. Thanks.
    53218870167_a5d450f1db_h.jpg
  • Options
    Sim_LucentSim_Lucent Posts: 689 Member
    Yes I am disappointed in the Sims 4, but I do believe it has the POTENTIAL to be a very fun game if the Sims behavior and personalities were looked at and changed. But multiple people have been shouting the same thing for 2 years now and nothing has been done.

Well.. according to a SimGuru, our feedback has an expiration date.
    In turn, I personally feel the game's potential also has an expiration date.. and it's not the longevity of the game itself (IMHO).

It would be really nice if they did take a look at the very basics of the game and make the sims seem more unique and livelier. I love the game graphics.. I love CAS.. I love the animations of the sims, etc. I do hope they re-look at some of this stuff.. or at the very least, compile the feedback for future iterations if there ever are any.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    Reexamining all of these things requires a financial investment, and perhaps a fairly significant one depending on how much reprogramming and re-engineering is required to make it happen. IMO the time to make significant adjustments to the game was the first year; the more content they add to the game the more difficult this is to do because it necessitates more and more changes.

Whether they choose to do it or not might depend on how much money they can afford to spend and whether they think this would have a sufficient pay-off for them. After all, they get no money back for this investment unless a significant number of people who haven't bought it decide to purchase the BG afterwards, and if those who bought it but who have dropped the game come back and buy more content for it.

That is a pretty big gamble to make, IMO. I think players are better off assuming that the game will remain as it is and just deciding whether or not that's acceptable to them.

The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • Options
    Rukola_SchaafRukola_Schaaf Posts: 3,065 Member
    YES

the sims themselves are the biggest of all TS4 disappointments

but the idea of improvement is just the carrot
    their vision progresses as scheduled

i won't be participating in the forums & the gallery anymore - thanks EA
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Reexamining all of these things requires a financial investment, and perhaps a fairly significant one depending on how much reprogramming and re-engineering is required to make it happen. IMO the time to make significant adjustments to the game was the first year; the more content they add to the game the more difficult this is to do because it necessitates more and more changes.

Whether they choose to do it or not might depend on how much money they can afford to spend and whether they think this would have a sufficient pay-off for them. After all, they get no money back for this investment unless a significant number of people who haven't bought it decide to purchase the BG afterwards, and if those who bought it but who have dropped the game come back and buy more content for it.

That is a pretty big gamble to make, IMO. I think players are better off assuming that the game will remain as it is and just deciding whether or not that's acceptable to them.

This personally bugs me. Because the team loves to come out and say they are "passionate" about this iteration, that they want to give their "best" for the fans! Clearly that is not true, because if they were passionate about the game and the community they would fix and improve upon the core game and take that gamble. From how I'm looking at it, all they care about is their bottom dollar.

2 years in and wedding guests still choose to stand in awkward places instead of using the chairs that have been placed to watch the ceremony, why has this not been fixed? If you're "passionate" about the game as you say you would fix things like this!

Instead they ask for $10 every 2-3 months, ADD to the ongoing problems and ignore the very faulty core game! This is absolutely devastating for me, this franchise is one of my favourites and something I grew up with, and to see it in this condition and the team just IGNORING the issues really really bothers me!

Edit: This is my opinion
  • Options
    BlueBlack007BlueBlack007 Posts: 4,480 Member
    I agree totally, the Sims need to be more unique , have their own moods and their own way to act, having them all act the same way is like seeing Sims line up in line like Robots, and waiting for them to move a inch only they do not cause they follow the pack at this time, they need to be able to leave the pack and walk away if they wanted to, cause all being the same is just plain boring to Me, maybe that is why I never was a groupie, I was My own person and did My own thing, which is what the Sims in 4 should be doing as well, like the rest of the Sims do in the other games in the franchise.
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    i disagree with everything said in this post because as a sims4 player i find it perfect and nothing is lacking
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    i disagree with everything said in this post because as a sims4 player i find it perfect and nothing is lacking

And that is your opinion, but the rest of us do not have the same opinion bout it, and that is what makes us Unique, :).
  • Options
    Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member

This personally bugs me. Because the team loves to come out and say they are "passionate" about this iteration, that they want to give their "best" for the fans! Clearly that is not true, because if they were passionate about the game and the community they would fix and improve upon the core game and take that gamble. From how I'm looking at it, all they care about is their bottom dollar.

2 years in and wedding guests still choose to stand in awkward places instead of using the chairs that have been placed to watch the ceremony, why has this not been fixed? If you're "passionate" about the game as you say you would fix things like this!

Instead they ask for $10 every 2-3 months, ADD to the ongoing problems and ignore the very faulty core game! This is absolutely devastating for me, this franchise is one of my favourites and something I grew up with, and to see it in this condition and the team just IGNORING the issues really really bothers me!

Edit: This is my opinion

I feel you on this OP. I decided to jump back in on Ts4 and took my family to the park. Well after one of the children had a puppet show (the the mother and brother watched) a random sim decided to break the nearby dollhouse causing the kids to cry. I decided to have momma bear come to the rescue and let the guy have it. Well after the rude introduction she decides to sit down and have a pleasant conversation with him! I was like seriously?! NO this guy destroyed the dollhouse and made your children cry and you sit with him and have a happy convo? There really needs to be a change. But nope there she was with that plum smile on her face! Even after making her insult him several times too... *le sigh* :(
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • Options
    IceheartIceheart Posts: 37 Member
    Agreed. Traits feel flat and barely add anything to the game play, and emotions seem to be little more than wacky gimmicks that change your Sims' expressions for a few hours.

I had a Sim who got married, only to have her husband cheat at the wedding reception. She got the "Very Angry" moodlet, but it knocked off a surprisingly small chunk off their romance bar. She went home, kicked over a bin... and then started flirting with him and rolling romance whims towards him?!

God I miss 2, if your spouse caught you cheating then it was pretty much over. There's not even a yelling at interaction.
  • Options
    Iceheart wrote: »
    Agreed. Traits feel flat and barely add anything to the game play, and emotions seem to be little more than wacky gimmicks that change your Sims' expressions for a few hours.

I had a Sim who got married, only to have her husband cheat at the wedding reception. She got the "Very Angry" moodlet, but it knocked off a surprisingly small chunk off their romance bar. She went home, kicked over a bin... and then started flirting with him and rolling romance whims towards him?!

God I miss 2, if your spouse caught you cheating then it was pretty much over. There's not even a yelling at interaction.

And that is why I still play Sims 2 & Sims 3, cause Sims 4 just has to much missing from it for My taste.