Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 3 Won't Start From Launcher (Windows 10)

I just bought the Sims 3 via Steam yesterday. I am running Windows 10 64bit.
When I click the icon it starts the Launcher, but when I click play nothing happens. No error message, no game, nothing!
I've tried several things I've read online to get this fixed, but none worked.
What I've tried:

- Run the game without the Launcher TS3.exeand TS3W.exe both don't work (also ran as administrator)
- Uninstalled and Re-installed the game
- Run the game from Steam
- Tried to start the game in 'Compatability Mode', but I couldn't find it in the list of apps which I could choose from

Is there anything more than this I could try? I really feel like I just wasted €39...

Comments

• TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    edited September 2016
    Have you tried verifying the game files through Steam?

You shouldn't need to use compatibility mode for Win 10 64 bit (I don't).

Another alternative, if all else fails, is to register the TS3 CD keys (which you can get from your Steam library) on Origin and install through Origin.

Lastly, you might want to post your dxdiag info for others to check if your computer hardware can handle the game.

how to gather a dxdiag http://help.ea.com/en/article/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

@phoebebebe13 @igazor

Oh, Steam does have a refund policy. I think you should be able to refund the purchase if you've played less than 2 hrs and ask for the refund within 2 weeks. But if you decide to go that route google for the exact policy.

edit: when I initially bought TS3 on Steam I was able to bypass the Launcher by linking directly to ts3w.exe. I've installed through Origin since then, so I don't know if bypassing the launcher with a Steam install is still possible.
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    This forum is for origin users. You would have to contact steam directly. A lot of people have been having issues with steam and this game

You can take your registry codes from steam and register the game with origin instead and play through origin
  • martijnvd92martijnvd92 Posts: 6 New Member
    I've tried all what you've suggested, but nothing works.
    I've got a dxdiag report, but I don't know how to upload it in my comment here. However, my hardware should be OK.
    I've got a Intel Core i5 processor (2.67GHz), 8GB RAM memory and around 400 GB of my 750GB hard disk free space.
    I'm now trying to install via Origin, but it says my Product Code has already been used, which seems logical because I used it to register my product on the Sims 3 website or something...
    But does this now mean I can't install with my own code via Origin anymore?!
    Okay, I've installed now via Origin, but it still does the same.
    The Launcher or Welcome Screen or whatever opens, but when I click the 'Play' button on the left nothing happens.
    I've done pretty much everything I could find to do online, but nothing works...
    I'm guessing I'll have to try and get my money back from Steam and won't be able to play :(

Thanks for your help anyway.
    You would need to remove the steam version off your computer and re-download the origin version

Uninstall the sims 3

use ccleaner to clean your registry of any left over sims 3 files

ccleaner is free http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

How to use CCleaner to clean your registry http://www.wikihow.com/Use-CCleaner

Reinstall the game via origin

BTW your video card counts too with this game and you have not posted that
    I uninstalled the Steam version first...I'll try to remove this CCleaner as well then..
    Here's my VC specs:

Videocard
    Name: Intel(R) HD Graphics
    Chiptype: Intel(R) HD Graphics (Core i5)
    Memory 1760MB

Driver: igdum64.dll,igd10umd64.dll,igd
    Version: 8.15.10.2900
    Date: 11/26/2012
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Hi there. Your video driver for Intel can't possibly be for Win 10 if it's from 2012 since Win 10 wasn't out yet then. It really needs to be updated.

Is that the only graphics you have, though (some laptops for example have dual). That's not really a graphics card, it's an integrated chip that doesn't carry any of its own video memory. It makes your processor and RAM carry the load and that's very limiting to gameplay especially depending on how many EPs you are trying to load. It shouldn't be stopping the base game alone from working though not at high quality graphics settings.

I think we really need to see the dxdiag to get the full picture, though. The procedure here, however awkward, is to paste the entire thing in section by section into multiple responses since it's way to large to fit into one.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    igazor wrote: »
    Hi there. Your video driver for Intel can't possibly be for Win 10 if it's from 2012 since Win 10 wasn't out yet then. It really needs to be updated.

Is that the only graphics you have, though (some laptops for example have dual). That's not really a graphics card, it's an integrated chip that doesn't carry any of its own video memory. It makes your processor and RAM carry the load and that's very limiting to gameplay especially depending on how many EPs you are trying to load. It shouldn't be stopping the base game alone from working though not at high quality graphics settings.

I think we really need to see the dxdiag to get the full picture, though. The procedure here, however awkward, is to paste the entire thing in section by section into multiple responses since it's way to large to fit into one.

My DXDIAG is in dutch, because my PC is in Dutch.. Is there a way to make it English? Or do I have to translate everything manually?
    Anyway.. it seems I do have another video card?
    First is what I listed before, the second (from NVIDIA) is the other, I guess..
    This is Copy-Pasted from the 'Display' subtab on my dxdiag.
    I've translated the most important things (I think)
    Does this help?

Name Intel(R) HD Graphics
    PNP-device-id PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0046&SUBSYS_06111025&REV_02\3&11583659&0&10
    Adaptertype Intel(R) HD Graphics (Core i5), compatibel met Intel Corporation
    Description Intel(R) HD Graphics
    RAM-Memory (307.832.832) bytes
    Installed drivers igdumd64.dll,igd10umd64.dll,igdumdx32,igd10umd32
    Version of driver 8.15.10.2900
    INF-file oem7.inf (iILKM0-gedeelte)
    Kleurenvlakken Niet beschikbaar
    Vermeldingen in kleurentabel 4294967296
    Resolution 1600 x 900 x 60 Hz
    Bits/Pixel 32
    Geheugenadres 0xB3000000-0xB33FFFFF
    Geheugenadres 0xC0000000-0xCFFFFFFF
    I/O-poort 0x00004050-0x00004057
    IRQ-kanaal IRQ 4294967294
    I/O-poort 0x000003B0-0x000003BB
    I/O-poort 0x000003C0-0x000003DF
    Geheugenadres 0xA0000-0xBFFFF
    Stuurprogramma c:\windows\system32\drivers\igdkmd64.sys (8.15.10.2900, 11,74 MB (12.311.776 bytes), 26-11-2012 23:26)

Naam NVIDIA GeForce 610M
    PNP-apparaat-id PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_105A&SUBSYS_06111025&REV_A1\4&19333A2F&0&0008
    Adaptertype GeForce 610M, compatibel met NVIDIA
    Beschrijving NVIDIA GeForce 610M
    RAM-geheugen 1,00 GB (1.073.741.824 bytes)
    Geïnstalleerde stuurprogramma's nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
    Versie van stuurprogramma 10.18.13.5354
    INF-bestand oem15.inf (Section001-gedeelte)
    Kleurenvlakken Niet beschikbaar
    Vermeldingen in kleurentabel Niet beschikbaar
    Resolutie Niet beschikbaar
    Bits/Pixel Niet beschikbaar
    Geheugenadres 0xB2000000-0xB2FFFFFF
    Geheugenadres 0xA0000000-0xB1FFFFFF
    Geheugenadres 0xB0000000-0xB1FFFFFF
    I/O-poort 0x00003F80-0x00003FFF
    IRQ-kanaal IRQ 16
    Stuurprogramma c:\windows\system32\drivers\nvlddmkm.sys (10.18.13.5354, 10,62 MB (11.139.216 bytes), 13-7-2015 20:45)
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited September 2016
    Okay, I don't speak Dutch but can read enough of that to understand. You do have dual with the second graphics being the dedicated Nvidia card. Unfortunately it's not one that is strong enough to run more than the base game with any kind of reliability, and it might struggle with that. If you are going to proceed, you will want to specify in the Nvidia Control Panel that the game use the Nvidia card, not Intel. The executable to use is TS3.exe for Patch 1.69 (Origin), or TS3w.exe for Patch 1.67 (Steam).
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/15188257/#Comment_15188257

(I don't think the Vsync part as illustrated will actually come into play here, the point is to get the game to use the "right" graphics card.)

You might continue with your efforts to remove both install remnants using CCleaner as discussed above and reinstall one way or the other, Origin or Steam. You can't have remnants of either one in the Registry or among Program Files while trying to install the other. But I'm afraid that the experience you are chasing here isn't likely to be a quality one, if the game will run well at all, on a GeForce 610M. That's a pity too, since your processor is strong enough and you have plenty of RAM. Is this the only computer on which you have to play?

Let's also see if the others back here agree or have other suggestions.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    Agree with @igazor on the card issue. You need to make sure the game is running on nvidia not intel. The 610m is a low end card so It may be ok with the base game but you will struggle adding later eps if they will run at all. I would not try to run Pets, Seasons, ITF and IP on your laptop
  • SuzyCue72SuzyCue72 Posts: 526 Member
    @martijnvd92 That's not your Dxdiag report. It's your System information window (a k a msinfo32.exe) Components/Display. That's why it's in Dutch, and not english.

The Geforce 610M apparently supports Nvidia Optimus Technology, and that means that the graphics driver should automatically turn the 610M on as soon as OP starts the game. At least that's how it works on my computers with dual graphics.

Quote from Nvidia site:

"When the GPU can provide an increase in performance, functionality, or quality over the IGP for an application, the NVIDIA driver will enable the GPU. When the user launches an application, the NVIDIA driver will recognize whether the application being run can benefit from using the GPU. If the application can benefit from running on the GPU, the GPU is powered up from an idle state and is given all rendering calls."
    @SuzyCue72 The sims 3 game will always lock into intel and not the second Nvidia and or amd card. One has to take certain steps for the game to use the Nvidia and or amd card. This goes with the sims 4 too.
  • Carrington4976Carrington4976 Posts: 1 New Member
    2 years later I'm not sure if this will help but I have windows 10 as well and I had the same problem, but when I deleted the sims folder in the EA folder it worked. the folder was an old one that was in my one drive so it automatically created itself. if that helps cool but I would backup your stud before you try it.