Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

TS3 vs. TS4 Style Camera

One of the first things I did when I got TS4 was to switch to the TS3 style camera under options. I have used that option ever since. However, recently I have started wondering if the game is better designed to operate with the TS4 camera. Is it better somehow with how the game is currently constructed?

I've been playing with the TS4 camera for the last couple of days and I can't say I've noticed any difference really, apart from my repeated mistakes in trying to tilt or turn of course.

So what do you think? Is the game designed to work better with the TS4 camera? And if so, how? What are the benefits to using it over the TS3 camera?

Comments

• Options
    HopeTahHopeTah Posts: 144 Member
    I use TS3 camera in build/buy mode, since I like to tilt the camera while placing/building. I switch between TS3 and TS4 in live mode.
  • Options
    SimsweetieSimsweetie Posts: 562 Member
    HopeTah wrote: »
    I use TS3 camera in build/buy mode, since I like to tilt the camera while placing/building. I switch between TS3 and TS4 in live mode.

But why? What is the benefit to the TS4 camera in live mode?
  • Options
    brntwafflesbrntwaffles Posts: 130 Member
    I like that the ts4 camera zooms in and settles at the eye level of sims. It's perfect for live mode and watching your sims up close without constantly trying to find the perfect angle. Because everything you zoom in you have the perfect angle.

But for buy mode I prefer the ts3 camera. It allows for more rotating and placing objects.
  • Options
    3KNPen3KNPen Posts: 2,825 Member
    My favorite feature of the Sims 4 Camera mode is the grab feature. In that you can place your mouse cursor on a point far away and then pull that part of the screen towards you and the game goes there. I have such a problem when playing Sims 2 or 3 because I can't do that lol. Other then that I like that it settles in on a comfortable level for viewing without having to do a lot of fiddling with it. I definitely prefer the Sims 4 camera I pretty much never looked back once I switched over to it from the Sims 3 camera after several months of playing.
    ~ ~ ~
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,598 Member
    No, TS4 mode is just so limited. I don't think it really is designed specifically for the game but it's there just to make your life easier with zooming in and out. You have more control on the angles with the TS3 mode when you hold down your middle mouse button which you can't do in TS4.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    I use TS3 camera mode because that's the sims game I play the most and naturally more comfortable when I rarely play TS4. I didn't notice the option at first when the game launched and I remember how annoyed I was by the camera.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    edited September 2016
    I use TS4 camera all the time. I like the grabbing feature. I use tab mode for all screenshots so I can play around with angles better. I didn't play TS3 so I had to learn a new camera anyway (I don't think TS2 camera is the same, though can't remember what the difference is). So when I started I tested both cameras briefly and found TS4 camera more comfortable. I missed the tilt option at first, but learning the tab mode keys really changed my life.
  • Options
    I use TS4 camera all the time. I like the grabbing feature. I use tab mode for all screenshots so I can play around with angles better. I didn't play TS3 so I had to learn a new camera anyway (I don't think TS2 camera is the same, though can't remember what the difference is). So when I started I tested both cameras briefly and found TS4 camera more comfortable. I missed the tilt option at first, but learning the tab mode keys really changed my life.

Can someone tell me what this grabbing feature is?
    832XG3D.gif
  • Options
    DeKay wrote: »

@3KNpen explained it earlier. You grab the screen to move the camera. It's really confusing to play any other game after TS4 because you get so used to doing that. But it's just an alternative way to move.
  • Options
    edited September 2016

@3KNpen explained it earlier. You grab the screen to move the camera. It's really confusing to play any other game after TS4 because you get so used to doing that. But it's just an alternative way to move.

I'm pretty sure you can do the same with the right mouse button to pan around using the TS3 mode? Cuz I do that. And also putting the cursor far away and right clicking on that spot to quickly move to that new area.
    832XG3D.gif
  • Options

I'm pretty sure you can do the same with the right mouse button to pan around using the TS3 mode? Cuz I do that. And also putting the cursor far away and right clicking on that spot to quickly move to that new area.

Okay I went to the game and tested this. TS3 right mouse is like scrolling without moving the cursos on the edge of the screen whereas TS4 left mouse is dragging the screen to where you want to focus. The gesture you make is the opposite and they've got a different feel to them. TS4 camera has that same TS3 style movement option in the scroll button btw, but without the quick move option. I think TS4 left mouse is closer to quick move actually, just sort of more manual because the movement is not automatic when you click on a spot.
  • Options
    husseinandalihusseinandali Posts: 2,622 Member
    i guess the ts4 camera is just made for touch screens while ts3 camera is more better with my mouse and keyboard
    yondu-guardians1.jpg
    over here i post my cc
    new: https://simsworkshop.net/members/g1g2.1032/
    old: modthesims.info/m/8847624
    you may know me as g1g2

• Options

Okay I went to the game and tested this. TS3 right mouse is like scrolling without moving the cursos on the edge of the screen whereas TS4 left mouse is dragging the screen to where you want to focus. The gesture you make is the opposite and they've got a different feel to them. TS4 camera has that same TS3 style movement option in the scroll button btw, but without the quick move option. I think TS4 left mouse is closer to quick move actually, just sort of more manual because the movement is not automatic when you click on a spot.

Ah, yeah. I get what you mean. It is indeed kinda like the opposite movement. TS4 is like grabbing and TS3 is more like 'swiping' your mouse to get to the position.
    832XG3D.gif
  • Options
    EgomouseEgomouse Posts: 69 Member
    I kept the Sims 4 camera controls. It was annoying at first, but I got used to it. My middle mouse button is broken so I never used whatever control that is used there in TS3. I don't think I prefer one over the other. They both just make sense to me.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    I prefer Sims 3 mode over Sim 4 mode.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    kingkong192kingkong192 Posts: 953 Member
    I use 3
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I prefer the Sims 4 camera, especially the fact that you can turn it by right clicking. It's something I miss in Sims 3 now, because it goes more naturally.
    5JZ57S6.png