This site has entered read-only mode as of July 18th. The new Forums.EA.com are now live.

TS4 Price Permanently Reduced to $39.99!

Comments

• Options
    WulfsimmerWulfsimmer Posts: 4,381 Member
    edited August 2016
    Wulfsimmer wrote: »
    Mendota wrote: »
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    Lol, sure didn't happen with TS3 at two years.

You're right!

It happened at 15 months! :open_mouth:

The Sims 3 Deluxe was released at $49.95, and the Standard was (you guessed it!) $39.95!

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Sims-3-Deluxe-Edition-Announced-26591.html

The Sims 4 lasted an extra 9 months at full retail price.

And there's no bundle where you can get an Expansion for $10 either.

Go Sims 4! :lol:

(I bet this isn't what you had in mind when you posted).

You're wrong! It happened after 5 years of launch for The Sims 3. I am truly sorry I just crushed your bubble of trying to make The Sims 4 a paradise D:

(Bet you didn't expect to see this when you posted your comment)

You don't list a source for your claim, and I was around for Sims 3, even though I gave it up in six months. Jack is right it dropped in less than 18 months and about that time, Mr. Rod Humble, the designer of the Sims 3 was sent on his way.

I am sorry you didn't literally open the link on the post that us legit what the whole thread is about.

As if @jackjack_k posted a link/source anyways rofl

The thing is, that there's lots of indication that there was a price drop before that article says there was. Or at least that people were talking about the $40 they were seeing as the publisher price. If they were wrong, I'll happily take back what I posted!

I fully trust SimsVIP in their news, they rarely if never make mistakes :)

Even very clear leaks are written as rumors on their site and they put a tag on it so that should say something
    Random-gifs-random-18723411-368-312.gif

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • Options
    xPaxionxPaxion Posts: 1,119 Member
    MysticOne wrote: »
    xPaxion wrote: »
    The Witcher 3 is an amazing game.

I definitely agree. :)

If it contains violence, war or sports, I really don't like that type of game. I think it tends to breed violence in , especially, young ppl. We already have enough of that. Just my thoughts.

Yeah, you could never do that stuff in the Sims 4 like setting your Sim on fire or anything.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

If it contains violence, war or sports, I really don't like that type of game. I think it tends to breed violence in , especially, young ppl. We already have enough of that. Just my thoughts.

That could be said for anything. Movies, TV shows, music, and the list goes on.

I played GTA since I was 7 and from what I remember I haven't killed anyone (unless I had amnesia or something??) and grew up just fine. Games shouldn't affect someone's personality, if so then they need to check themselves with a doctor.

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,638 Member

You're right!

The Sims 3 Deluxe was released at $49.95, and the Standard was (you guessed it!) $39.95!

You're wrong! It happened after 5 years of launch for The Sims 3. I am truly sorry I just crushed your bubble of trying to make The Sims 4 a paradise D:

You don't list a source for your claim, and I was around for Sims 3, even though I gave it up in six months. Jack is right it dropped in less than 18 months and about that time, Mr. Rod Humble, the designer of the Sims 3 was sent on his way.

I am sorry you didn't literally open the link on the post that us legit what the whole thread is about.

The thing is, that there's lots of indication that there was a price drop before that article says there was. Or at least that people were talking about the $40 they were seeing as the publisher price. If they were wrong, I'll happily take back what I posted!

Even very clear leaks are written as rumors on their site and they put a tag on it so that should say something

Fair enough. I qualified my earlier statement in an edit.

Anyway, my only personal concern is that the franchise is still doing well enough to keep making add-ons and updates for me, and it seems to be. Maybe they made the Sims 4 base game development costs up early enough to be able to use a dropped base game price to push add-on profits with the sales to those new players who spent less on the base game. The math for a game with this many add-ons is different, and pricing pressures change over time - I know my advice to my clients on pricing their products now is different from what it was 5 years ago: what produced the right profit level then doesn't now.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

That could be said for anything. Movies, TV shows, music, and the list goes on.

I played GTA since I was 7 and from what I remember I haven't killed anyone and grew up just fine. Games shouldn't affect someone's personality, if so then they need to check themselves with a doctor.

The actual research on the impact of violent videogames on behaviour is still inconclusive - some of it goes one way, some the other. Any one person, taken alone, is just an anecdote, and there isn't anything that has the same effect on everyone. Except maybe gravity. Or having an entire house fall right on your head.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

You're right!

Anyway, my only personal concern is that the franchise is still doing well enough to keep making add-ons and updates for me, and it seems to be. Maybe they made the Sims 4 base game development costs up early enough to be able to use a dropped base game price to push add-on profits with the sales to those new players who spent less on the base game. The math for a game with this many add-ons is different, and pricing pressures change over time - I know my advice to my clients on pricing their products now is different from what it was 5 years ago: what produced the right profit level then doesn't now.

That is debatable. :sweat_smile: I for one think the game isn't doing that fine ; for a game that is only 2 years old that is in a franchise known to shell out a lot of expansion packs that only had 2 for now doesn't strike as a good sign to me.

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited August 2016

You're right!

Aren't Deluxe Editions launched when a game sells amazingly? Like with Sims 2 Deluxe Edition and Sims 2 Double Deluxe Edition?

Ik TS4 has a Digital Deluxe edition on Origin but I'm pretty sure that doesn't count as that launched with the game.

Also that's not what's in SimsVIP and honestly, TS3 never goes on sale on Origin, and barely on Steam. TS4 is always on the front page of Origin when there's a sale.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
    edited August 2016

You're right!

Ha ha ha! You're hilarious. Sure the Sims 3 bundle was fifty dollars with the base at forty about the same point BUT they never went on sale that I can recall this early on. The Sims 4 is on sale every other week, so essentially it's new price is twenty dollars or the same price as a Sims 3 Expansion Pack on Origin which incidentally I don't think The Sims 3 has been on sale for a year and a half. I only paid $30.00 for the Sims 4 deluxe edition nine months after release.
  • Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,455 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    Also, like I said in my other post, a sale =/= lowering the retail value of a product. It is pretty soon for TS4 to be lowering its retail value, especially if it were such a "massive success". My guess is that people are only buying when it is on sale. That 20 dollar sale was pretty drastic for only 2 years after its release. But, hey, guess this means EA can hand out the 6m buttons amongst its staff now. :lol:

I've seen a few AAA games go on sale during a sale. :)
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options

You're right!

That is debatable. :sweat_smile: I for one think the game isn't doing that fine ; for a game that is only 2 years old that is in a franchise known to shell out a lot of expansion packs that only had 2 for now doesn't strike as a good sign to me.

It's debatable, of course. It was one of many possibilities, and that's how I presented it. Just as price drop because it's doing badly is just one possibility: it's equally debatable. None of us have any way to know because we don't have access to the sales numbers or the rest of the financials that go into this kind of decision making. In the absence of those, and without being at decision-making meetings on the issue, we're all guessing.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,973 Member
    Imho, a game reduces in price when the dev feels that the customer base is saturated to the point that it is no longer selling at it's original price, it happens with most games. One better hope EA/Maxis keeps up with those packs because it can also mean winding down and I seen it in other games.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member

You're right!

You failed to crush anything, as per.

SimVIP is wrong. I literally provided you with a Source.
  • Options
    @Sigzy05 wrote: »

You're right!

Aren't Deluxe Editions launched when a game sells amazingly? Like with Sims 2 Deluxe Edition and Sims 2 Double Deluxe Edition?

Ik TS4 has a Digital Deluxe edition on Origin but I'm pretty sure that doesn't count as that launched with the game.

Also that's not what's in SimsVIP and honestly, TS3 never goes on sale on Origin, and barely on Steam. TS4 is always on the front page of Origin when there's a sale.

Not really, deluxe editions are usually issues when a game launches if the publisher (EA) have confidence that people are willing to pay extra for more stuff.

The Sims 3 Deluxe bundle was released basically to entice more people who haven't bought, and give them more value for money. I don't think it has to do with anything.

The Sims 2 was a much weaker seller than the rest and that got a double deluxe. It means nothing.

---

Origin always has its biggest games on the front page when there's a sale.
    Either Sims 4, Star Wars, FIFA and Battlefield.
    That's EA's big 4.

You're right!

Ha ha ha! You're hilarious. Sure the Sims 3 bundle was fifty dollars with the base at forty about the same point BUT they never went on sale that I can recall this early on. The Sims 4 is on sale every other week, so essentially it's new price is twenty dollars or the same price as a Sims 3 Expansion Pack on Origin which incidentally I don't think The Sims 3 has been on sale for a year and a half. I only paid $30.00 for the Sims 4 deluxe edition nine months after release.

This means nothing.

SimCity Societies was a huge flop (bigger than SimCity 2013) and is never on sale. SimCity 4 and SimCity 2013 are always on sale and they both sold pretty well.

There is no obvious pattern. You can call a game a flop it it's always on sale, as Star Wars for example, is always on sale.

But a game that is never on sale isn't a flop either. As the Sims 3 is rarely on sale but wasn't a flop.

If anything, sales are detirmined by predictions.

"If we put this on sale, will we sell more? Or will we sell the same, but for a loss?"

• Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,973 Member
    edited September 2016
    @Sigzy05 wrote: »

You're right!

Not really, deluxe editions are usually issues when a game launches if the publisher (EA) have confidence that people are willing to pay extra for more stuff.

The Sims 3 Deluxe bundle was released basically to entice more people who haven't bought, and give them more value for money. I don't think it has to do with anything.

The Sims 2 was a much weaker seller than the rest and that got a double deluxe. It means nothing.

---

Origin always has its biggest games on the front page when there's a sale.
    Either Sims 4, Star Wars, FIFA and Battlefield.
    That's EA's big 4.

You're right!

This means nothing.

SimCity Societies was a huge flop (bigger than SimCity 2013) and is never on sale. SimCity 4 and SimCity 2013 are always on sale and they both sold pretty well.

There is no obvious pattern. You can call a game a flop it it's always on sale, as Star Wars for example, is always on sale.

But a game that is never on sale isn't a flop either. As the Sims 3 is rarely on sale but wasn't a flop.

If anything, sales are detirmined by predictions.

"If we put this on sale, will we sell more? Or will we sell the same, but for a loss?"

SimCity 2013 initially sold well and dropped off quickly and I would think it would sell well before word got around that the game is full of bugs and parts of the game did not even live up to the hype. The forum was lit up just like this forum and gradually it became an ghost town. Also there were accounts of people putting videos up burning their copy of SimCity 2013. I believe Sims 4 may have sold well but not so well to be recognized beyond Origins. Sims Societies was for sure a flop, could not bare to play it.

Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    MocaJavaMocaJava Posts: 1,392 Member

You're right!

You rushing in to white knight TS4? Yeah actually, saw it coming a mile away.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    MocaJava wrote: »

People are entitled to what they can like and dislike or defend whatever they want; they do not have to have the same thoughts and opinions as you.
  • Options
    MendotaMendota Posts: 794 Member
    I really don't understand the animosity of many of you. If Sims 4 isn't for you fine. If Sims 3 is the best thing ever, then play Sims 3. The fact that many of you continue to bash Sims 4 actually says how bad Sims 3 is. As Shakespeare said "Thou doth protest too much". I didn't care for Sims 3, but I didn't feel bitter about it. I didn't go to the Sims 3 forums and write long diatribes against it. It didn't matter because I kept playing Sims 2. And because there was nothing wrong with Sims 2, I wasn't upset about it.

People getting this upset over not getting what they wanted in Sims 4, says it all about how they are also not getting what they want in Sims 3. And it is always the same people over and over doing this. Don't you ever get tired of beating this dead horse? It has been two years.
  • Options
    I really don't understand the animosity of many of you. If Sims 4 isn't for you fine. If Sims 3 is the best thing ever, then play Sims 3. The fact that many of you continue to bash Sims 4 actually says how bad Sims 3 is. As Shakespeare said "Thou doth protest too much". I didn't care for Sims 3, but I didn't feel bitter about it. I didn't go to the Sims 3 forums and write long diatribes against it. It didn't matter because I kept playing Sims 2. And because there was nothing wrong with Sims 2, I wasn't upset about it.

People getting this upset over not getting what they wanted in Sims 4, says it all about how they are also not getting what they want in Sims 3. And it is always the same people over and over doing this. Don't you ever get tired of beating this dead horse? It has been two years.

Very true.

I have always seen people on both sides bash each other for having a different opinion than theirs.

Everyone, no matter who you are, is entitled to their own opinion. :)
  • Options
    simspeaker4simspeaker4 Posts: 5,999 Member
    All this talk of TS4 vs. TW3 makes sense. Geralt of Rivia is about as faithful as the sims in TS4.
    I am a perfectly decrepit withered old hag who enjoys self-mockery.

Need help falling asleep? http://wry7000.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    Sims 4 is primarily on Origin, TS3 wasn't (originally). I bet even with the price drop they're making as much profit because there is far less physical production costs (few retail boxes, plus codes instead of discs inside for a lot of them) and less shipping. Oh, and less 'take' by retailers too. Just food for thought. :)
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Options
    ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member
    This thread:

OP: The price of the game dropped for those who don't have it. Woohoo!

The rest of the thread:
    TS3 sold better.
    No it didn't.
    Yes it did.
    No it didn't.
    Yes it did....
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper
  • Options
    @jackjack_k LMAO! You seriously crack me up! First you trumpet the fact that the Sims 4 has done so well based on the fact that it has not lowered it's price until now, then you turn around and say how often it sells at that price doesn't matter- ha ha ha! Have you thought about running for office? LOL! Whatever, you're right it doesn't matter. A game's success is determined by a variety of factors, like player satisfaction and longevity, along with pricing- I'm not just judging the Sims 4 on price alone but all those other factors along with EA's refusal to release sales numbers for the Sims 4 as evidence of it's current lackluster place within the Sims various iterations. It's not over yet of course there's at least one more EP. We'll see from there.

A permanent price factor is not the same as a sale.

The idea of a sale, is to sell more with a sales period, despite selling each for less.

A permanent price drop is based on how long they can sell an item at a larger price, before resorting to a lower price.
    @MocaJava wrote: »

You're right!

Except I didn't white knight the Sims 4, I just simply told it how it happened.
  • Options
    ENolanENolan Posts: 2,735 Member
    *Sigh* Threads like these can never be posted without certain people always trying to come in and "school" everyone.
    ebuchala wrote: »
    This thread:

OP: The price of the game dropped for those who don't have it. Woohoo!

The rest of the thread:
    TS3 sold better.
    No it didn't.
    Yes it did.
    No it didn't.
    Yes it did....

Took the words right out of my mouth. I was certainly expecting different conversations but was surprised to see this thread is the equivalent of a grade school argument. No one wins but they have to keep going. :unamused: