This site will go into read-only mode on July 18th as the new Forums.EA.com are now live.

TS4 Price Permanently Reduced to $39.99!

NeonHighwaysNeonHighways Posts: 1,508 Member
It was $59.99 before... This is great news for anyone that doesn't have it yet!

http://simsvip.com/2016/08/31/retailers-permanent-price-reduction-sims-4-base-game/

Comments

  • Options
    xPaxionxPaxion Posts: 1,119 Member
    $10 cheaper? It was $20 in the sale.
  • Options
    NeonHighwaysNeonHighways Posts: 1,508 Member
    xPaxion wrote: »
    $10 cheaper? It was $20 in the sale.

    That's $20 cheaper. Sales aren't on all the time, and in the next ones the price might get even lower!
  • Options
    xPaxionxPaxion Posts: 1,119 Member
    momboqueen wrote: »
    Lol, sure didn't happen with TS3 at two years.

    You're forgetting TS3 had a nifty shop feature selling way overpriced individual pieces of content.
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    @xPaxion wrote: »
    momboqueen wrote: »
    Lol, sure didn't happen with TS3 at two years.

    You're forgetting TS3 had a nifty shop feature selling way overpriced individual pieces of content.

    They're also forgetting, the fact that to help sell Expansions, EA bundled every expansion pack with the base game starting with Ambitions & Pets, for an extra $10.

    So if someone wanted to get into the base game, they could pick up an Expansion for an extra $10.
    That's a heavy discount.

    With The Sims 4, you'd still have to pay an extra $20 at least on sale.
  • Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,455 Member
    edited August 2016
    momboqueen wrote: »
    Lol, sure didn't happen with TS3 at two years.

    And your point?

    All games will eventually drop down in price.

    According to your logic - I guess that means the Witcher 3 is doing poorly, since it now only costs around $40 (via Steam) and is only a year old. ;)
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options
    xPaxionxPaxion Posts: 1,119 Member
    momboqueen wrote: »
    Lol, sure didn't happen with TS3 at two years.

    And your point?

    All games will eventually drop down in price.

    According to your logic - I guess that means the Witcher 3 is doing poorly, since it is now only costs around $40 and is only a year old. ;)

    The Witcher 3 is an amazing game.
  • Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,455 Member
    edited August 2016
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    Source? Keep in mind, a sale =/= lowering the retail value of the product.

    I personally don't recall TS3's retail value lowering after two years. SimsVIP states, although they, too, do not have a source on their recent post, the retail value dropped within February 2014, a whopping 6 years after release. Probably because it sold so well, EA had kept the same retail price for a long time to come.

    The Sims 4, on the other hand, just recently had a huge sale where people could buy it for 20 dollars. That, and the fact it is riding on TS3's, and the rest of the franchise's tail, is why it has continued to sell.

    I guess that means that whenever there is a major Steam sale (Winter/Summer), popular and greatly reviewed games that have been recently released are doing poorly then. ;)
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,455 Member
    xPaxion wrote: »
    The Witcher 3 is an amazing game.

    I definitely agree. :)
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    @Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    Lol, sure didn't happen with TS3 at two years.

    You're right!

    It happened at 13 months! :open_mouth:

    Source? Keep in mind, a sale =/= lowering the retail value of the product.

    I personally don't recall TS3's retail value lowering after two years. SimsVIP states, although they, too, do not have a source on their recent post, the retail value dropped within February 2014, a whopping 6 years after release. Probably because it sold so well, EA had kept the same retail price for a long time to come.

    The Sims 4, on the other hand, just recently had a huge sale where people could buy it for 20 dollars. That, and the fact it is riding on TS3's, and the rest of the franchise's tail, is why it has continued to sell.

    I edited my post at 7:44 and you replied 3 mins later with the old post. Seems the website didn't update xD

    I posted the source where the Sims 3 base game became $39.95 in Sep 2010.

    ---

    It's not riding on The Sims 3's success at all.
    Infact, it's so different from The Sims 3, people who play The Sims 3 have to adapt.

    Had the Sims 4 been a wash, rinse, repeat of The Sims 3, then it could ride on the success.
    The Sims 2 for example, was too different to ride on the success of The Sims 1.

    The Sims 1 was huge on PC, whereas The Sims 2 only sold 6 million.
  • Options
    WulfsimmerWulfsimmer Posts: 4,381 Member
    momboqueen wrote: »
    Lol, sure didn't happen with TS3 at two years.

    And your point?

    All games will eventually drop down in price.

    According to your logic - I guess that means the Witcher 3 is doing poorly, since it now only costs around $40 (via Steam) and is only a year old. ;)

    Except you don't take in mind different buisness models from different companies to a certain franchis ;) .
    Random-gifs-random-18723411-368-312.gif

    WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,455 Member
    Wulfsimmer wrote: »
    Except you don't take in mind different buisness models from different companies to a certain franchis ;) .

    True. :#
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options
    WulfsimmerWulfsimmer Posts: 4,381 Member
    Aaaaand...The Sims 3 expansion packs still cost £40 for me.... Go Origin and your different regions plum!!! yayyyy...
    Random-gifs-random-18723411-368-312.gif

    WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 36,556 Member
    edited August 2016
    Lol, I was wondering who would be the first to mention Sims 3.

    ETA : Oops, never mind. Looks like Alexis was first. She made the comparison in her article.
  • Options
    Ceres_MeirionaCeres_Meiriona Posts: 5,006 Member
    Nice! This makes it a little easier to gift to friends and family.
    tumblr_oesik08PQO1vorh5do6_1280.jpg
  • Options
    DegrassiGenDegrassiGen Posts: 2,168 Member
    I wanted to pass out from hearing the announcement! EA making the price of base game more reasonable. I wanted to pass out and wake up to an ugly doctor at the ER to tell him "EA's generosity brought me here"
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,638 Member
    edited August 2016
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    Lol, sure didn't happen with TS3 at two years.

    You're right!

    It happened at 15 months! :open_mouth:

    The Sims 3 Deluxe was released at $49.95, and the Standard was (you guessed it!) $39.95!

    http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Sims-3-Deluxe-Edition-Announced-26591.html

    The Sims 4 lasted an extra 9 months at full retail price.

    And there's no bundle where you can get an Expansion for $10 either.

    Go Sims 4! :lol:

    (I bet this isn't what you had in mind when you posted).

    Just noting, because that article's phrasing is confusing about the prices they're talking about (I read it as no Deluxe price mentioned at all, a $50 price for the base game and a $40 price for an expansion), that by early November 2010, the Sims 3 base game was $40, as mentioned here at the time: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/936498-the-sims-3/57028305. (I found another site for January 2011 discussing the same $40 price. Both sites are discussing Steam pricing but the conversations seem to indicate that this is publisher-level pricing. I can't find, yet, a news post specifically about a price drop, but there does seem to have been one.) That's a year and 5 months before a 20% price drop for Sims 3 compared to just under 2 years for a 33% price drop for Sims 4. (A 20% price drop would have made the price $48.)

    And adding that those people saying that this was publisher-level pricing could have been wrong and it wasn't? But that's what they were seeing as a non-sale price.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    MendotaMendota Posts: 794 Member
    Wulfsimmer wrote: »
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    Lol, sure didn't happen with TS3 at two years.

    You're right!

    It happened at 15 months! :open_mouth:

    The Sims 3 Deluxe was released at $49.95, and the Standard was (you guessed it!) $39.95!

    http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Sims-3-Deluxe-Edition-Announced-26591.html

    The Sims 4 lasted an extra 9 months at full retail price.

    And there's no bundle where you can get an Expansion for $10 either.

    Go Sims 4! :lol:

    (I bet this isn't what you had in mind when you posted).

    You're wrong! It happened after 5 years of launch for The Sims 3. I am truly sorry I just crushed your bubble of trying to make The Sims 4 a paradise D:


    (Bet you didn't expect to see this when you posted your comment)


    You don't list a source for your claim, and I was around for Sims 3, even though I gave it up in six months. Jack is right it dropped in less than 18 months and about that time, Mr. Rod Humble, the designer of the Sims 3 was sent on his way.

  • Options
    MysticOneMysticOne Posts: 460 Member
    xPaxion wrote: »
    The Witcher 3 is an amazing game.

    I definitely agree. :)

    If it contains violence, war or sports, I really don't like that type of game. I think it tends to breed violence in , especially, young ppl. We already have enough of that. Just my thoughts.
  • Options
    WulfsimmerWulfsimmer Posts: 4,381 Member
    Mendota wrote: »
    Wulfsimmer wrote: »
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    Lol, sure didn't happen with TS3 at two years.

    You're right!

    It happened at 15 months! :open_mouth:

    The Sims 3 Deluxe was released at $49.95, and the Standard was (you guessed it!) $39.95!

    http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Sims-3-Deluxe-Edition-Announced-26591.html

    The Sims 4 lasted an extra 9 months at full retail price.

    And there's no bundle where you can get an Expansion for $10 either.

    Go Sims 4! :lol:

    (I bet this isn't what you had in mind when you posted).

    You're wrong! It happened after 5 years of launch for The Sims 3. I am truly sorry I just crushed your bubble of trying to make The Sims 4 a paradise D:


    (Bet you didn't expect to see this when you posted your comment)


    You don't list a source for your claim, and I was around for Sims 3, even though I gave it up in six months. Jack is right it dropped in less than 18 months and about that time, Mr. Rod Humble, the designer of the Sims 3 was sent on his way.

    I am sorry you didn't literally open the link on the post that us legit what the whole thread is about.


    As if @jackjack_k posted a link/source anyways rofl
    Random-gifs-random-18723411-368-312.gif

    WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited August 2016
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    Source? Keep in mind, a sale =/= lowering the retail value of the product.

    I personally don't recall TS3's retail value lowering after two years. SimsVIP states, although they, too, do not have a source on their recent post, the retail value dropped within February 2014, a whopping 6 years after release. Probably because it sold so well, EA had kept the same retail price for a long time to come.

    The Sims 4, on the other hand, just recently had a huge sale where people could buy it for 20 dollars. That, and the fact it is riding on TS3's, and the rest of the franchise's tail, is why it has continued to sell.

    I guess that means that whenever there is a major Steam sale (Winter/Summer), popular and greatly reviewed games that have been recently released are doing poorly then. ;)

    Newer games seldom participate in large Steam sales. For instance, Fallout 4 and GTA V did not drop their prices at the Steam sale following their respective releases. They're both AAA games, which is what The Sims used to be. If newly released games do drop in price, it is very little, and only because the Steam sale itself is a massive opportunity for developers to increase exposure on their products.

    Also, like I said in my other post, a sale =/= lowering the retail value of a product. It is pretty soon for TS4 to be lowering its retail value, especially if it were such a "massive success". My guess is that people are only buying when it is on sale. That 20 dollar sale was pretty drastic for only 2 years after its release. But, hey, guess this means EA can hand out the 6m buttons amongst its staff now. :lol:
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    @Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    Lol, sure didn't happen with TS3 at two years.

    You're right!

    It happened at 13 months! :open_mouth:

    Source? Keep in mind, a sale =/= lowering the retail value of the product.

    I personally don't recall TS3's retail value lowering after two years. SimsVIP states, although they, too, do not have a source on their recent post, the retail value dropped within February 2014, a whopping 6 years after release. Probably because it sold so well, EA had kept the same retail price for a long time to come.

    The Sims 4, on the other hand, just recently had a huge sale where people could buy it for 20 dollars. That, and the fact it is riding on TS3's, and the rest of the franchise's tail, is why it has continued to sell.

    I edited my post at 7:44 and you replied 3 mins later with the old post. Seems the website didn't update xD

    I posted the source where the Sims 3 base game became $39.95 in Sep 2010.

    ---

    It's not riding on The Sims 3's success at all.
    Infact, it's so different from The Sims 3, people who play The Sims 3 have to adapt.

    Had the Sims 4 been a wash, rinse, repeat of The Sims 3, then it could ride on the success.
    The Sims 2 for example, was too different to ride on the success of The Sims 1.

    The Sims 1 was huge on PC, whereas The Sims 2 only sold 6 million.

    The differences between the games has absolutely nothing to do with what I said. Also, I did state that it was riding on TS3's and the rest of the franchise's tails. I never said it was exclusively attributed to one, past iteration of the series.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,638 Member
    edited August 2016
    Wulfsimmer wrote: »
    Mendota wrote: »
    Wulfsimmer wrote: »
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    Lol, sure didn't happen with TS3 at two years.

    You're right!

    It happened at 15 months! :open_mouth:

    The Sims 3 Deluxe was released at $49.95, and the Standard was (you guessed it!) $39.95!

    http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Sims-3-Deluxe-Edition-Announced-26591.html

    The Sims 4 lasted an extra 9 months at full retail price.

    And there's no bundle where you can get an Expansion for $10 either.

    Go Sims 4! :lol:

    (I bet this isn't what you had in mind when you posted).

    You're wrong! It happened after 5 years of launch for The Sims 3. I am truly sorry I just crushed your bubble of trying to make The Sims 4 a paradise D:


    (Bet you didn't expect to see this when you posted your comment)


    You don't list a source for your claim, and I was around for Sims 3, even though I gave it up in six months. Jack is right it dropped in less than 18 months and about that time, Mr. Rod Humble, the designer of the Sims 3 was sent on his way.

    I am sorry you didn't literally open the link on the post that us legit what the whole thread is about.


    As if @jackjack_k posted a link/source anyways rofl

    The thing is, that there's lots of indication that there was a price drop before that article says there was. Or at least that people were talking about the $40 they were seeing as the publisher price. If they were wrong, I'll happily take back what I posted!

    I do wonder now, if that $40 wasn't real and there were places you could still pay $50 for Sims 3 for, how many people ever bought Sims 3 at its retail price two years in anyway. Everything I found in search seemed to suggest it was around for less in practice.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Return to top