Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

If you could tell your child/teenage self one thing what would it be?

LunaNovaLunaNova Posts: 1,239 Member
I was thinking about this the other day.

And I really started to wonder what what one thing i've learn't growing up that my teen self could benefit from.

At first It was stupid things like 'don't wing your eyeliner out till it meets your eyebrows' or 'don't kiss that kid Hadleigh because your friends will joke about it till you turn 20'

But the one thing i'd really have liked to tell myself is to be nicer to my parents. I was a 🐸🐸🐸🐸 teenager. Classic angsty awful teenager. My mum was going through depression at the time and I DIDN'T HAVE A CLUE. It really can't have helped. Later when I was on the receiving end of that mental illness my mum opened up to me about it and I had the crushing realisation of how awful I must have made her feel at the time. And my dad worked so hard (like left the house at 6am and not back till gone 8pm), he didn't really need another story from my mum about how awful I had been. (I've been trying my hardest to be a better daughter ever since, we all have a very good relationship now. My dad is retired and doing what he loves and my mums the happiest shes ever been. I just wish i'd thought more about them than myself at the time)

So serious or not what would you tell your younger self?
tumblr_ox7j4tmNjd1wqkiw6o1_1280.png
//Sims Tumblr Here-MoonPhase Simblr//Berry Sims Here- MoonBerry Sims//
Let me make you a cute forum avatar [Closed right noww!! will re-open closer to cats and dogs!] //

Comments

• sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    I think that I would tell my younger self that material things don't really matter because you can't take that stuff with you when you leave this world.
  • Sorak4Sorak4 Posts: 3,935 Member
    I would tell my young self to never have existed as how I am, all it's done was made me more enemys from having my presence known. I don't know how much longer it is before those that haven't betrayed me do.

I'm generally unsure if I can get myself out of the situation I've dug myself into for years... So it would be a change that would fix it :V
    L9q8VGi.png
  • Tacoman763Tacoman763 Posts: 34 Member
    @LunaNova That is very beautifully said. I am just a teenager myself. My dad works those hours too. I'm always nice to my parents, but I have spended A LOT of time with friends. The only thing I did for three weeks straight was went to (sort of) volunteering work. (It's a place where we play and watch children from ages 3-15 years old. I wake up when my parents already left for work and I leave right before noon. So when my mother returns home. And I get back home between 19 and 1 at night. Then I go to sleep and do it all over again. Wouldn't miss it for the world though.) And when I'm not there I'm doing something with friends. When I do finally get home I'm pretty tired and my parents ask a lot of questions and I just tell them I'm too tired and will tell them everything later, but I never get back to it. And they are always there for me. When I've been with friend till midnight again I could just call them and they would come get me so I wouldn't have to bicycle in the dark.

Wow this is a long ramble. What I'm tying to say here is that I should probaly don't say I'm tired anymore.I love them so much you know. Thanks for saying that. It was very beautifull.
  • SummerjaseSummerjase Posts: 1,424 Member
    I'd tell my younger self (teen, I guess. I'm a senior in high school, so let's just say freshmen me) -- depression doesn't last forever. You'll find things that make you happier than you could ever imagine. Like Dan and Phil. Yep. You're going to see them in person in a year, believe it or not. You're also going to go through some harder stuff, but your brother will be there for you, don't worry. Oh, and please please stop trying so hard to be emo. You'll cringe upon it in a few years. Look, as generic as it sounds, just keep holding on. Things get better.

Thanks for this post, it really made me think.
    giphy.gif
  • Broncos4lifeBroncos4life Posts: 11,798 Member
    I am a younger teenager and my mom also has issues with depression, as do I. I move around a lot, so there are things that I never got to tell people that I want to, and of course little mess ups I made like not studying for a test not doing my chores. I wish my future self would come and tell me that all my hard work I've put into softball pays off one day, because right now I'm losing motivation, and don't know if all the work and time spent will ever pay off.
    Do you like solving a mystery? Come join a mafia game!
    Link: here!

71t7p4hX88L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    I am a younger teenager and my mom also has issues with depression, as do I. I move around a lot, so there are things that I never got to tell people that I want to, and of course little mess ups I made like not studying for a test not doing my chores. I wish my future self would come and tell me that all my hard work I've put into softball pays off one day, because right now I'm losing motivation, and don't know if all the work and time spent will ever pay off.
    One can never really tell what the future holds for them. Who knows, you just might end up being the worlds greatest actor, singer/song writer, or even a great leader of a nation some day. ;)<3

• LilacErinLilacErin Posts: 3,884 Member
    You are enough. You are not a bad person and people do like you. Be yourself. Don't care what people think because you are you. You might not have friends now but keep being you and you will find them. Don't give up on yourself. You have people that love andcare about you. You are not ugly.

I really needed these words a couple years ago.
    I'm a sad girl. I'm a mad girl. I'm a bad girl.
    <3
  • Alfie90Alfie90 Posts: 1,477 Member
    @LunaNova completely feel the same, I was always in trouble when I was in my teens and never wanted to be seen with my parents because it wasn't "cool". Now I love being with them, wish I could of acted differently
  • SubmarineSubmarine Posts: 3,424 Member

Sending love <3
    I won Game of the Year in the 2nd annual Scummies Awards!
    eM56lKI.png
    Call me Sub

• LunaNovaLunaNova Posts: 1,239 Member
    @sunman502 Thats true! but also value what you have!

@Sorak4 Everyone makes mistakes, i know I have. Its never to late to start a new book and write a new story. The first step is understanding what you did to get into the situations you have and take steps to make sure it dosn't happen again!

@Tacoman763 I still sometimes do that though. Everyone gets tired. Maybe try and answer a few short questions atleast? Thats what I try to do anyway! My mum has a habit of asking me about when my boyfriends going to propose to me (well she asks questions like 'is he your true love' etc) which sometimes annoys me but I try to give her an answer that will make her happy XD

@Summerjase EMO'S UNITE I still cringe at my 16 year old selfs back combed hair and smudge black eyes.

@Broncos4life I'm a long distance runner and when I first started someone told me something that I tried to carry over into every day life. 'When your running your going to find it hard, you'll be out of breath, your chest and heart may hurt, but never stop, walk, shuffle if you have to. But never stop until you get to the finish line. Because if you stop its not only going to be harder to start again it's going to hurt allot more' Basically it dosn't matter how slow your progress as long as you keep trying you'll get there eventually! One of the best bits of advice I ever got XD

@LilacErin I think we all need those words sometimes.

@Alfie90 Atleast you can make the most of it now! Thats how i'm trying to view it anyway.

Thank you to everyone thats replied so far <3
    Let me make you a cute forum avatar [Closed right noww!! will re-open closer to cats and dogs!] //
    LunaNova wrote: »
    @sunman502 Thats true! but also value what you have!

@Sorak4 Everyone makes mistakes, i know I have. Its never to late to start a new book and write a new story. The first step is understanding what you did to get into the situations you have and take steps to make sure it dosn't happen again!

@Tacoman763 I still sometimes do that though. Everyone gets tired. Maybe try and answer a few short questions atleast? Thats what I try to do anyway! My mum has a habit of asking me about when my boyfriends going to propose to me (well she asks questions like 'is he your true love' etc) which sometimes annoys me but I try to give her an answer that will make her happy XD

@Summerjase EMO'S UNITE I still cringe at my 16 year old selfs back combed hair and smudge black eyes.

@Broncos4life I'm a long distance runner and when I first started someone told me something that I tried to carry over into every day life. 'When your running your going to find it hard, you'll be out of breath, your chest and heart may hurt, but never stop, walk, shuffle if you have to. But never stop until you get to the finish line. Because if you stop its not only going to be harder to start again it's going to hurt allot more' Basically it dosn't matter how slow your progress as long as you keep trying you'll get there eventually! One of the best bits of advice I ever got XD

@LilacErin I think we all need those words sometimes.

@Alfie90 Atleast you can make the most of it now! Thats how i'm trying to view it anyway.

Thank you to everyone thats replied so far <3
    Long distance runner hu? What your fastest time in a half mile sprint? Mine was just under a minute! B)<3

• LunaNovaLunaNova Posts: 1,239 Member
    @sunman502 long distance as In marathons XD I run 5k a few times a week in about 20-25 minutes! i've never really timed less than 5k!
    LunaNova wrote: »
    @sunman502 long distance as In marathons XD I run 5k a few times a week in about 20-25 minutes! i've never really timed less than 5k!
    I know what long distance running is. I was just wondering if you have ever timed your self or had someone time you in a half mile sprint before, and what your fastest time was.

• Pokemonlove33Pokemonlove33 Posts: 115 Member
    I'd tell my younger self to 'Stop annoying people about all the interests I like, people won't like you for that. Sweetie, if you want friends your using the absolutely wrong method.'
    Windmill, windmill for the land, turn forever hand in hand It's coming up, it's DARE What's the matter with me? Turning us into monsters, turning us into fire It's the music that we choose The verdict doesn't love our soul Everybody party time I ain't happy, I'm feeling glad Magic make no sound
  • BariSaxyBariSaxy Posts: 4,699 Member
    Oh my gosh, you have no idea. If I could get in contact with myself from a decade ago, it wouldn't be pretty. Reading my Xanga entries from back then gives me such an indescribable feeling. Just so much "Why?". I was such a brat, a super-depressing brat. One time I did not make the level of ensemble I wanted, and I took it out on everyone. The directors, the people who sat beside me in band, and myself. *sigh* I will never not hate myself for that. Nor can I bear to read those Xanga entries, which are like a black hole of text.

As much as I'd want to go and tell myself to 'Appreciate what you have, and quit being a brat!', I don't think anyone could even possibly reason with that version of me. Lol.

Instead, I'd be like that ghost of the future in Christmas Carol and show myself the future. That would do it, I'm sure. For just one year later, real struggles came into my life and it hit me like a brick how great my life was before. I didn't handle these struggles properly, either. That's why I'd show it to my past self... "Take care of yourself, please".
    OO2UdmJ.png
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    Take the red pill, not the blue.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • LightfieldLightfield Posts: 12,450 Member
    "Carry on, chap. Carry on."
    Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange and pretend you're laughing at it.
  • LyniaSCLyniaSC Posts: 1,021 Member
    "Do better in school an apply to college. I know that being the manager of anything sounds cool, but trust me, it's not. Especially when it's a dollar store where nobody wants to pull your weight. Also, visit your family more often. I know you think they'll always be there but they won't. You don't want to regret not being around more. Oh, and quit blowing off Makayla. Yeah, she understands that you're depressed, but if you never talk to her you guys are gonna just drift apart and you'll feel really bad about it. Seriously, it's not gonna kill you to get out of bed and go carve pumpkins for the haunted hay ride with her. Oh yeah, and your mom loves you. I know she's been gone all the time, but it's only because she feels lonely right now. She hasn't forgotten about you, and it does get better. And one last thing: Don't date Joey. I know you've been friends forever, and it feels like a really good idea, but it's not, it's horrible, and you'll feel horrible, and your family will hate him, he'll be horribly controlling, and he'll stalk you for a little while until you fear for your safety and have to get the police involved. Just don't do it, okay?"

I'd probably say more to myself, but yeah, if I had been able to say all that I think my teenage years would have gone over a lot more smoothly.
    Also, sorry if that was kind of personal.
  • AnnMariaAnnMaria Posts: 181 Member
    Kill everyone in this world
  • DarkSuperNinjaDarkSuperNinja Posts: 1,204 Member
    I keep typing and retyping what I want to say for some reason (it feels too sensitive in a way) so I'll just summarise it to:
    "Keep going, mate, you're doing brilliant. Even if you think that the whole world is against you, and even though you hate your own guts, you're doing great. You've always been yourself, and you're the most stubborn little poop ever, but that's what makes you awesome! ;)"
  • BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    Don't look at him twice - going out with him will lead to pain the like you can't imagine and trauma you'll forever be haunted by.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    Not myself, but to any child or teenager on here; don't be in a hurry to grow up. Once you're grown up you'll at least sometimes wish you were a kid again, and once your childhood's over it's gone forever. Enjoy it while you can.

(I hope I've got influence on this as I'm only in my 20's)
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • 5782341b77vl5782341b77vl Posts: 9,149 Member
    I'd tell my younger self -

"Don't drink the liquid inside the glow-sticks! It's NOT glow in the dark Kool-Aid !"

(Yes, I REALLY did, and it was VERY bitter! Just don't do it!)
    ...AND WASH YOUR DING-DANG HANDS!
  • UnaUna Posts: 526 Member
    edited September 2016
    Don't be a alcoholic at 17 and a half
  • UnaUna Posts: 526 Member
    edited September 2016
    Or an underage clubber