Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Forum Tutorial: Bbcode walkthrough

wolfkomoki1wolfkomoki1 Posts: 5,053 Member
edited May 2017 in Forum Ideas & Feedback
Hello there! Are you new to the forums? Are you new to bbcode? If so this tutorial is for you!
Note: only members have access to bbcode. Details on becoming a member can be found here.
Now that that's out of the way let's start the tutorial.

Tutorial: Uploading pictures to this forum
This tutorial assumes that you have 50 Points, 30 Posts and have an account older than 24 hours.
Now onto the tutorial.

1. Find an image hosting site. I use http://tinypic.com/
2. Find the image you want.
3. Upload the image.
33nvq7o.png
4. Copy the image url. You can do this two ways.
Method 1: 2wn94kp.jpg
Method 2 [Note if you use this message you need to use this format: [*IMG]urlgoeshere[*/IMG] remove the *
k1z8go.png
bhwvh4.jpg
Step 5: Post and you're done!

Originally posted by me here.

Tutorial: Naming links
So you want to share a url but you don't want it to show the link right? You want to name it something else? Well my friend you are in luck!

So let's start with getting a url. You're going to want to copy and paste from the address bar.
Now that you have that copy and pasted you could just paste the link as is.
We're going to be using http://www.thesims3.com/
as an example.
Now that link may be fine for some, but maybe you're running a post on here and you want it to look more professional well that's where this tutorial comes in.

In order to name your links you need to start with the url.
[url=inserturlhere]

Once you do that you're ready to actually name your url.
[url=inserturlhere]urlnamegoeshere
Now that you've named your url it's time to close the url.
[url=inserturlhere]urlnamegoeshere[/url]

So here's an example using the url we mentioned above:
[url=http://www.thesims3.com/]thesims3websitefortutorialpurposes[/url]
thesims3websitefortutorialpurposes

Tutorial: Italics
If you don't know what italics are [or maybe they're called something else in your language], they look like this.
There are two ways to use them. You can hit control I on your keyboard [provided the forum you're using has it set up], or you can manually set the code.
[i]this is the code for italics.[/i]
this is the code for italics.

Tutorial: Bold letters
You may have noticed bold letters during this tutorial. They look like this.
There are two ways to use bold letters.
If the forum you're on has it set up, you can hit control b to activate it. If they don't have it set up, you can set it up manually.
[b]bold text goes here.[/b]
bold text goes here.

Did you know that you can combine bold and italics?
It's simple. Just combine the manual codes for bold and italics.
[b][i]this is how you combine bold and italics.[/b][/i]
this is how you combine bold and italics.

This is only the beginning of what you can do with bbcode. If you're fluent in bbcode, feel free to add anything that I may have left out to the topic.

Colors work the same way, except there are a limited number of colors the system will recognize [/color]

Using parentheses in place of brackets to show what's what, it goes like this: (color=green) blah blah blah (/color)

blah blah blah

Don't use pink! The system allows it but most eyes don't Yellow too, for that matter.

and underline uses the letter "u" the same way as I for Italics and B for Bold[/quote]
[color=green]type some stuff here.[/color]
This is a test.
[u]this is an underline.[/u]
this is a test.

Alternatively, you can use hex codes.
You can get these codes here
Let's start with blue.

See you can do it this way too!
[color=#828ac7]See you can do it this way too![/color]

➽ Changing the text size is pretty easy:
"[size=x]" turns on the sizing mode and "[/size]" to turns it off again, with x ranging between 1 and 7.

This is text size 1
This is text size 2
This is text size 3
This is text size 4
This is text size 5
This is text size 6
This is text size 7
[size=7]This is text size 7[/size]

➽ Of course any code can be combined with each other:
This is Color Crimson + Size 5 + bold + italic + underlined
[color=crimson][b][i][u][size=5]This is Color Crimson + Size 5 + bold + italic + underlined[/size][/u][/i][/b][/color]

➽There are also many special characters:
☀ ☁ ☂ ☃ ☄ ★ ☆ ☑ ☒ ☸ ☹ ☺ ☻ ☼ ☽ ☾ ♠ ♩♪♫♬ ❆❇❈❉❊

➽ Changing the font is also easy:
This is the font "Mistral"
[font=Mistral][size=7]This is the font "Mistral"[/size][/font]

➽ More fonts can be easily found in the internet:
This is the font "Comic Sans MS"
This is the font "Papyrus"
This is the font "Gabriola"

☆☆☆ Have Fun! ☆☆☆
➽ Spoiler function

There is also a spoiler function which could be quite helpful, for examples for revealing game facts, which others would like to discover on their own.

The syntax is (as usual for BBCode): (spoiler) for activating and (/spoiler) for deactivating the function (with square brakets instead of round brakets). A mouseclick on the "Show" button unfolds the hidden part between the command characters.

It looks like this:
Too many hints can spoil the game!

or in code (again with the wrong brakets for functional reason):
(spoiler)Too many hints can spoil the game!(/spoiler)

But of course there is much more to hide than text only. Also pictures could be hidden with this function.
y3m8zA8_-8zF2O4p7pRA2hDqsnJg5PmkiFJ-nQQhWp_L-sfZlnopFhDC2miReh7DAdB17XRGhp-JGPI108MgD58V0CdJkBsrDh-qDYyjyj-vibPxNUYsKO_QRbbrImmmGorF0hR6S2R7xiGhRhdM2oS-GgX41_f62SmqbKND8nBvuI?width=800&height=500&cropmode=none.

or some lists, which could make the post too long and confusing:
  1. one
  2. two
  3. three
  4. four
  5. five
  6. six
  7. seven

and as usual all other codes like "[size]" and "[color]" can be combined with this function.
Of course all other codes like "[size]" and "[color]" are also possible.

Hit the quote button to see the correct syntax. Somehow the code function does not work together with the spoiler function.

6JSxk49.png?1
Post edited by wolfkomoki1 on

Comments

• Options
    MikiMiki Posts: 1,692 Member
    Colors work the same way, except there are a limited number of colors the system will recognize

Using parentheses in place of brackets to show what's what, it goes like this: (color=green) blah blah blah (/color)

blah blah blah

Don't use pink! The system allows it but most eyes don't Yellow too, for that matter.

and underline uses the letter "u" the same way as I for Italics and B for Bold
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Miki wrote: »
    Colors work the same way, except there are a limited number of colors the system will recognize

blah blah blah

and underline uses the letter "u" the same way as I for Italics and B for Bold
    Thanks adding to the tutorial now!
    6JSxk49.png?1
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    Thanks for posting this.

And now I know why I can never get the colour to work. Gotta use yankie spelling.

*facepalm*
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    Movotti wrote: »
    Thanks for posting this.

And now I know why I can never get the colour to work. Gotta use yankie spelling.

*facepalm*
    You'd think they'd let you use both but oh well, whatever.
    6JSxk49.png?1
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,596 Member
  • Options
    rosemow wrote: »
    Hello.
    Thankyou very much for the helpful tutorial information! :) It will be great to use when posting.
    You're welcome. I figured this was needed since so many here seem to be new to bbcode.
    6JSxk49.png?1
  • Options
    M13VulpeculaM13Vulpecula Posts: 19,720 Member
    @wolfkomoki1

It's possible to use any color you like! :)
    You just have to replace the name of the color with the hex code:

[col*or=#98765]Test text, remove the *'s to see the result[/col*or]
    Banner.png
  • Options
    suuismsuuism Posts: 31 Member
    Thanks so much for this! Once I can start fancying up my profile, this will be really handy. I'm not as tech savvy as I would like.
  • Options
    ... now to find a table of hex codes for colors, among other things.

I know we can also change fonts and text sizes but I could never really get it to work, and in order to test it, one has to post on threads and it could be mildly vexing to have someone come n a given thread with stuff like "How now Brown Cow" in various fonts and sizes just to test out their usage of hex codes and other BBCode usage. Anyway I have forgotten the syntax used for font and size changes.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Finally a new tutorial for the forum :smile:

This is actually a bit more useful that the 'new members everything you need to know' thread which seriously needs updating.

If you want to write your own tutorial then I will give it a friendly bump :smiley:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    BonxieBonxie Posts: 5,695 Member
    edited September 2016
    Miki wrote: »
    ... now to find a table of hex codes for colors, among other things.

I know we can also change fonts and text sizes but I could never really get it to work, and in order to test it, one has to post on threads and it could be mildly vexing to have someone come n a given thread with stuff like "How now Brown Cow" in various fonts and sizes just to test out their usage of hex codes and other BBCode usage. Anyway I have forgotten the syntax used for font and size changes.

Hopefully this is not so vexing - perhaps somebody might find it useful. I try to avoid the brown cow and the hex codes ;)

➽ Changing the text size is pretty easy:
    "[size=x]" turns on the sizing mode and "[/size]" to turns it off again, with x ranging between 1 and 7.

This is text size 1
    This is text size 2
    This is text size 3
    This is text size 4
    This is text size 5
    This is text size 6
    This is text size 7
    [size=7]This is text size 7[/size]

➽ Of course any code can be combined with each other:
    This is Color Crimson + Size 5 + bold + italic + underlined
    [color=crimson][b][i][u][size=5]This is Color Crimson + Size 5 + bold + italic + underlined[/size][/u][/i][/b][/color]

➽There are also many special characters:
    ☀ ☁ ☂ ☃ ☄ ★ ☆ ☑ ☒ ☸ ☹ ☺ ☻ ☼ ☽ ☾ ♠ ♩♪♫♬ ❆❇❈❉❊

➽ Changing the font is also easy:
    This is the font "Mistral"
    [font=Mistral][size=7]This is the font "Mistral"[/size][/font]

➽ More fonts can be easily found in the internet:
    This is the font "Comic Sans MS"
    This is the font "Papyrus"
    This is the font "Gabriola"

☆☆☆ Have Fun! ☆☆☆

Post edited by Bonxie on
    Bonxie: Great Skua, stercorarius skua. Meet me on Fair Isle.
  • Options
    ParkPark Posts: 625 Member

Fascinating! Thanks a bunch for the thread!. I live with user Miki so I will pass this along.
  • Options
    Callous_LilyCallous_Lily Posts: 198 Member
    edited October 2016
    Thanks for the BB code tutorial.
    It was very helpful.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    ➽ Spoiler function

There is also a spoiler function which could be quite helpful, for examples for revealing game facts, which others would like to discover on their own.

The syntax is (as usual for BBCode): (spoiler) for activating and (/spoiler) for deactivating the function (with square brakets instead of round brakets). A mouseclick on the "Show" button unfolds the hidden part between the command characters.

It looks like this:
    Too many hints can spoil the game!

or in code (again with the wrong brakets for functional reason):
    (spoiler)Too many hints can spoil the game!(/spoiler)

But of course there is much more to hide than text only. Also pictures could be hidden with this function.
    y3m8zA8_-8zF2O4p7pRA2hDqsnJg5PmkiFJ-nQQhWp_L-sfZlnopFhDC2miReh7DAdB17XRGhp-JGPI108MgD58V0CdJkBsrDh-qDYyjyj-vibPxNUYsKO_QRbbrImmmGorF0hR6S2R7xiGhRhdM2oS-GgX41_f62SmqbKND8nBvuI?width=800&height=500&cropmode=none.

or some lists, which could make the post too long and confusing:
    1. one
    2. two
    3. three
    4. four
    5. five
    6. six
    7. seven

and as usual all other codes like "[size]" and "[color]" can be combined with this function.
    Of course all other codes like "[size]" and "[color]" are also possible.

Hit the quote button to see the correct syntax. Somehow the code function does not work together with the spoiler function.

@wolfkomoki1 Perhaps you might copy this section into the tutorial above. Thanks.

Post edited by Bonxie on
  • Options
    Jude525Jude525 Posts: 1,699 Member
    edited November 2016
    Thanks for this. I was all over the web looking at general BBCode info and couldn't get the font size to work. One site did hint at site specific sizes, but I never dreamed that it would be short list of relative sizes. I also appreciate that this demystified web link formatting for me. I was all around it but couldn't quite get the syntax to type it in directly. Not a big deal since the tool is right there in the drafting box, but it was bugging me anyway.

Does anyone know if there is a list of fonts available to use on this site? Or should I just use trial and error?

Anyway, thanks for the tutorial. I look forward to using it to make my posts and signature more interesting. (He says having used no special formatting in this post!)
    aka Jude
    I own the store as of 1+7/17/17

My Studio

My build thread in the Creative Corner
  • Options
    JoeJude16 wrote: »
    Thanks for this. I was all over the web looking at general BBCode info and couldn't get the font size to work. One site did hint at site specific sizes, but I never dreamed that it would be short list of relative sizes. I also appreciate that this demystified web link formatting for me. I was all around it but couldn't quite get the syntax to type it in directly. Not a big deal since the tool is right there in the drafting box, but it was bugging me anyway.

Does anyone know if there is a list of fonts available to use on this site? Or should I just use trial and error?

Anyway, thanks for the tutorial. I look forward to using it to make my posts and signature more interesting. (He says having used no special formatting in this post!)

Hello
    I am not sure if there is a list of fonts that can be used on the site. You may need to do what you wrote, and test to see what works.
  • Options
    @rosemow, thanks for the quick response. Yeah, easy enough to do. I don't know that I was wondering about restrictions as much as I was looking for inspiration. :)
    aka Jude

My Studio

• Options
    edited November 2016

@JoeJude16 Check here, for starters. There are a lot of these sites out there for bbcode.

http://learn-bbcode.blogspot.com/2007/09/choose-font-for-your-forum-post-bbcode.html

Some work some don't. Depends on the forum's base architecture (vbulletin ,etc)
    The three I usually use (for PMs because oversize fonts can make a post larger than I would like) are century gothic, baskerville old face, and palatino linotype -- cuz I can't make up my mind which looks better.

This post is size "5".

This is "4", the next one down. Not a lot of choice in the size area, as you can see.

Note, if using baskerville old face, don't let Autocorrect capitalize the "B" bbcode does not recognize the cap.
  • Options
    edited November 2016

As far as I can see all fonts from this site (link) could be used here in the forum. I tried the more exotic ones like 'Mistral' and 'Papyrus'.

But it's also browser/OS dependend. My Android Firefox is not able to display the fonts. The Windows Firfox for sure can.

Post edited by Bonxie on
  • Options
    @Bonxie, yes, I'd already used Papyrus successfully in my sig. It's been one of my favorites for years. Which is actually decades. Let's just say I'm not young B)
    aka Jude

My Studio

• Options
    @Miki, thanks. That list looks very similar to a couple I found when I did a Google search for "common web fonts." It's been years since I've had a reason to explore fonts, maybe this will get my creative juices flowing. I'm very active over on the Daily Deal thread for the Sims 3 store, and the spreadsheet there has gotten my spreadsheet skills out of the dust after years of inactivity as well. Who knew forums could be so good for the brain?
    aka Jude

My Studio

• Options
    edited November 2016
    @Miki, thanks. That list looks very similar to a couple I found when I did a Google search for "common web fonts." It's been years since I've had a reason to explore fonts, maybe this will get my creative juices flowing. I'm very active over on the Daily Deal thread for the Sims 3 store, and the spreadsheet there has gotten my spreadsheet skills out of the dust after years of inactivity as well. Who knew forums could be so good for the brain?

Yeah! Who knew these things could be so useful??!!

^_^

I figured you knew your way around the web just fine but fonts for forums are a bit different, and one would need to narrow their search to weed out the non-applicable info-flotsam that gets in the way with a general search. BBCode is a picky animal, or rather forum environments are the picky animals when it comes to what codes they'll accept and which ones they don't (and those they do accept but you would rather they didn't)-- such as, don't BBCode color "yellow"-- it'll work but good luck trying to read it!
    Have fun with this stuff, fella!
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Looks like parts (i.e. size, colour, font) of BBCode aren't working anymore...
    Text style like bold, italic or center seems still to work.
    Could this be a side effect of the forum patch last week?

@rosemow Did your hear/know anything?
  • Options
    Bonxie wrote: »
    Looks like parts (i.e. size, colour) of BBCode aren't working anymore...
    Text style like bold, italic seems still to work.
    Could this be a side effect of the forum patch last week?

@rosemow Did your hear/know anything?

Hello
    I am not sure but there may be work taking place on the forums to resolve the issue with the status of new members not being updated although they have the required posts and points.
    The issues may be related to the forum maintenance that was done last week.
  • Options
    @rosemow Thanks for your answer.