Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 Online Server Multiplayer

The idea is to start a Sims server where people can join and live in the world the server owner creates. This would be the social part of Sims 4 that would let other sims connect to others online.

Imagined features:

- Full server control to the admin (Server owner/expected)
- Multiplayer slots open to however many lots there are available
- Chat box system for the server (expected)
- DLC Support (Which marks the server as DLC Supported to various packs released allowing the DLC's to be used in multiplayer, for example Get to Work DLC package which would allow residents in the server to create their own store in that server)
- Social Support/Online Friends list (Whether it be Origin or a Sims friends list)
- Server browser (expected)
- The ability to customize the server to fit the needs of the admin
- Further expansion to the shop system for server convenience

If anyone has expansions to this idea please share your knowledge.

Comments

• DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    MadameLee wrote: »
    and alot of people will tell you NO.. search it-
    And alot of people will tell you YES.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • LaynielouxuLaynielouxu Posts: 443 Member
    I am not mad at that idea :D
  • BeniaminoBeniamino Posts: 19 New Member
    Honestly it is all about how you present the imagined features that would be available. I think I explained them well enough to get people to think about it.
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,278 Member
    edited August 2016
    Apparently it was rumored TS4 was going to have this in the game but EA scrapped that idea as they didn't want what happened to SimCity to happen to TS4. Plus the fact that a lot complained that they didn't want this in the game. Why do you think that the base game didn't have toddlers, babies that's tied to a crib, teens being the same height as YA, A, and elders, why there isn't an open world or CASt? It's because EA scrapped the idea and did what they could to get the game out on their scheduled time.
    Beniamino wrote: »
    The idea is to start a Sims server where people can join and live in the world the server owner creates. This would be the social part of Sims 4 that would let other sims connect to others online.

Imagined features:

- Full server control to the admin (Server owner/expected)
    - Multiplayer slots open to however many lots there are available
    - Chat box system for the server (expected)
    - DLC Support (Which marks the server as DLC Supported to various packs released allowing the DLC's to be used in multiplayer, for example Get to Work DLC package which would allow residents in the server to create their own store in that server)
    - Social Support/Online Friends list (Whether it be Origin or a Sims friends list)
    - Server browser (expected)
    - The ability to customize the server to fit the needs of the admin
    - Further expansion to the shop system for server convenience

If anyone has expansions to this idea please share your knowledge.

As an addition on to the original post, I would like to suggest that when going "Online" that you would have a completely different character on a different server every time. Thus allowing you when in the server browser to see which servers you have a Sim on. This would also prevent any "porting" of data between servers that could potentially allow cheating or unfair sim play. This would also make Single Player and Multiplayer completely separated. EA has the resources to do so, they can do it, it is a matter of them actually planning and designing it properly.
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,750 Member
    I'm borrowing this quotes from @SimsILikeSims from the very FIRST thread I linked too:
    The problem with having both a single player and a multiplayer option in the same game, is that inevitably all the development resources go away from the single player game to the multiplayer mode game. It would mean no new improvements to the single player game. I don't want to be in a Sims-themed chat room where people trash talk each other about their real-life social status, brag about their accomplishments, or try to flirt with just anyone.
    Also, if the multiplayer feature was developed but players seemed reluctant to use it, the developers would add content that would only be available if you use the multiplayer feature, so that they could collect ad revenue from the multiplayer option.

6adMCGP.gif
    I'm borrowing this quotes from @SimsILikeSims from the very FIRST thread I linked too:
    The problem with having both a single player and a multiplayer option in the same game, is that inevitably all the development resources go away from the single player game to the multiplayer mode game. It would mean no new improvements to the single player game. I don't want to be in a Sims-themed chat room where people trash talk each other about their real-life social status, brag about their accomplishments, or try to flirt with just anyone.
    Also, if the multiplayer feature was developed but players seemed reluctant to use it, the developers would add content that would only be available if you use the multiplayer feature, so that they could collect ad revenue from the multiplayer option.

Q1: Simply not true, if inserted properly, the DLC will be made playable in both modes. I know multiple several games where DLC was made for both singleplayer and multiplayer. For example, Arma III Apex Expansion. I own it and it is made for both singleplayer and multiplayer, users can create their own servers that could allow the normal Altis or Stratis or with the new DLC Apex, Tanoa.

Q2: There would be no risk of users not using the multiplayer, if anything it would boost sales, activity and productivity. I do not see where they would have a place to put ads for multiplayer. If anything if they did it would likely prevent them from doing micro-transactions as most multiplayer games do now a days. But even so, all of EA's games for multiplayer are NOT ad revenue.
  • SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member

Q1: Simply not true, if inserted properly, the DLC will be made playable in both modes. I know multiple several games where DLC was made for both singleplayer and multiplayer. For example, Arma III Apex Expansion. I own it and it is made for both singleplayer and multiplayer, users can create their own servers that could allow the normal Altis or Stratis or with the new DLC Apex, Tanoa.

Q2: There would be no risk of users not using the multiplayer, if anything it would boost sales, activity and productivity. I do not see where they would have a place to put ads for multiplayer. If anything if they did it would likely prevent them from doing micro-transactions as most multiplayer games do now a days. But even so, all of EA's games for multiplayer are NOT ad revenue.

1 - How do we know it would be "inserted properly"? We don't.
    2 - There would be plenty of risk of users not using the multiplayer, ESPECIALLY if they used micro-transactions, which are one reason people avoid Facebook "fremium" games, or block their kids from playing them. Hundreds or thousands of dollars could be potentially be spent on micro-transactions in an average "fremium" game by one person alone. And if the micro-transactions aren't enough, typically subscription services are added for "VIP status" on top of that, as well as the option for the player to watch an ad to get premium game currency or desirable game content. Considering how much corporations are willing to pay for advertising, it would be hard to keep advertising completely out of a multiplayer game, if it was popular enough. Besides, servers are expensive, and the more players, the more servers would be required. An insufficient number of servers KILLED SimCity (multiplayer version).
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
    The initial release date for Simcity: March 5, 2013

Today, 08.24.2016

EA has more than enough resources to put to servers that will actually work. Stop jumping to conclusions and assuming just because it failed in the past doesn't mean they haven't learned from their mistakes. You people act like you "know" what EA has planned or wants to do, you don't so stop. This is the ideas thread where they look for innovative topics to improve their product, and with you people giving constant negativity you discourage the community from posting good stuff. You don't like multiplayer? Okay cool, don't worry about it and don't play it. Problem solved.

Today, 08.24.2016

EA has more than enough resources to put to servers that will actually work. Stop jumping to conclusions and assuming just because it failed in the past doesn't mean they haven't learned from their mistakes. You people act like you "know" what EA has planned or wants to do, you don't so stop. This is the ideas thread where they look for innovative topics to improve their product, and with you people giving constant negativity you discourage the community from posting good stuff. You don't like multiplayer? Okay cool, don't worry about it and don't play it. Problem solved.

when THREE seperate online (four if you coutn SimCity) version failed in the past. EA just can't do Sims online PERIOD>
    6adMCGP.gif
    Once again, this is 2016, EA has different resources, different employees etc. STOP assuming.
    edited August 2016

Today, 08.24.2016

At least one Simguru has stated on these forums that Sims 4 will NOT be multiplayer, and will NOT have microtransactions. Sims 5? That's anyone's guess. If they make a stripped down version of single player side by side with a multiplayer version, I probably will not buy it.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
    My proposal still stands, if none of you like it well too bad, sounds like a personal issue.

For those who are interested in the idea I implore them to brainstorm on HOW EA can do it right.
    My proposal still stands, if none of you like it well too bad, sounds like a personal issue.

For those who are interested in the idea I implore them to brainstorm on HOW EA can do it right.

This is like saying that "Those who don't like Facebook games have personal issues". So, If you don't like feedback on your idea, too bad, perhaps it is a personal issue.
  • barraakenobarraakeno Posts: 489 Member

just tell me, how can a multiplayer sims game handle the 3 types of time speed, money cheat, custom content, mods? Who will control the townies? If i kill a townie you didn't want me to kill, or marry? The big problem of a the sims online is that the game mechanics of the game doesn't suit a online game. It could have plaza chat room, where you could enter with a sim-avatar.but would me more like second life than the sims itself. (and we all know that second life is a big failure)
    Brazilian guy here, so my English is not that good.

fB7mWIn.gif
    Spinning toilets confurm3d!!!!11!!1!1!!!!11!
  • YungGigiYungGigi Posts: 1,083 Member
    Umm... [img]https://🐸🐸🐸🐸.com/meme/BFMTF/yeah-thats-a-no-for-me-dawg/image.jpg?w=400&c=1[/img]
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    Multiplayer defies the concept of the sims.
    The sims is a game in which you play god, if you're not the only player, how then do you play god?

Also, the majority of sims players are control freaks, we're not fond of sharing our toys.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
    You people act like this will make it mandatory for you people...
    Because it WILL become mandatory for people who want to play an off-line SINGLE player game.. Go play Second Life or IMVU..
    6adMCGP.gif
    I do play IMVU, and I wasn't aware that having a single player mode in a game MADE it mandatory for people to play online.. Hmm I must be slow then..
    I do play IMVU, and I wasn't aware that having a single player mode in a game MADE it mandatory for people to play online.. Hmm I must be slow then..

IF online happened it would forced to people who want a SANDBOX game to play a non-sandbox game with other people who could be 18+ trolls
    6adMCGP.gif
    Every online game has the risk of trolls. That's why we have -ahem- Server Admins and moderators. With all due respect, I believe you have not put that much thought into this idea..
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Every online game has the risk of trolls. That's why we have -ahem- Server Admins and moderators. With all due respect, I believe you have not put that much thought into this idea..

You'll find a lot of opposition to anything online in these forums, I'm afraid, a lot of which assumes that it would be mandatory or would take away from other development. Personally, I'd like co-op on private servers, so I could play a version of Sims 4 with friends who also play, whether that would be just having our Simselves hang out together and use a side chat, or actually playing out huge stories together, or building together. It doesn't matter to me that there are other online games (or spaces - I do wonder if all the people saying "play Second Life" actually know much about Second Life) with building or chatting; they aren't Sims.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.