Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sales in The Sims 2 VS Sims 4

shadowiciashadowicia Posts: 591 Member
edited August 2016 in The Sims 2
So I started to play Sims 2 again and went on Sims wiki to see what I could do in the game. It says that Sims 2 has sold 6 million PC copies since its release. But Sims 4 has sold 5 million? I'm really surprised that Sims 2 only has a million more sales than Sims 4 since I always figured Sims 2 blow the sales of Sims 4 out of the water. I suppose people really don't care about the missing features in Sims 4...

Comments

• Options
    SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    I was surprised too. I'm not sure this is 100% confirmed though anyway.
  • Options
    ChloeDeCookieChloeDeCookie Posts: 2,467 Member
    Well sales dont necessarily mean how good the game is..
    To all you beautiful people out there, have a lovely day.
  • Options
    Well sales dont necessarily mean how good the game is..

No, it don't. But all I ever see is Sims 4 hate and the game is doing really well.
  • Options
    ChloeDeCookieChloeDeCookie Posts: 2,467 Member
    Sometimes its very bad games that sell due to how bad people say it is and people wat tovsee if its true
    To all you beautiful people out there, have a lovely day.
  • Options
    sgjosgjo Posts: 110 Member
    They stopped selling TS2 a couple of years ago and gave TS2UC for free to those who wanted it...so there's really no way to tell how many more would have been sold since TS4 came out.
    I know that a lot of people who never played TS2 before are really enjoying it after getting TS2UC.
  • Options
    Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
    edited August 2016
    5 million has not been confirmed- omg... that could very well be the number of the base AND all the packs sales combined. There have been a total of 14 releases counting the base game for Sims 4- so at the most I think the 5M button or whatever it was referenced something along those lines- not just base game sales. Much like during the Sims 2 run it was common to see stickers or whatever from EA stating the Sims had sold 100 million copies- well, that was EVERYTHING with the Sims name on it from the very first base game through to wherever it was in the Sims 2, near the end I think. 2008 maybe.

EDIT: It could also be nothing. EA would trumpet 5 million in base game sales I think.
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,191 Member
    edited August 2016
    To be fair here , I think there talking about the base . But that might not be the case , knowing EA . Theu cold be talking about all the packs . For record the Sims 3 sold 7. million copies the base game . Also to the fact Sims 4 most the years has been on sale
  • Options
    5 million has not been confirmed- omg... that could very well be the number of the base AND all the packs sales combined. There have been a total of 14 releases counting the base game for Sims 4- so at the most I think the 5M button or whatever it was referenced something along those lines- not just base game sales. Much like during the Sims 2 run it was common to see stickers or whatever from EA stating the Sims had sold 100 million copies- well, that was EVERYTHING with the Sims name on it from the very first base game through to wherever it was in the Sims 2, near the end I think. 2008 maybe.

EDIT: It could also be nothing. EA would trumpet 5 million in base game sales I think.

http://simsvip.com/2016/06/12/sims-4-base-game-breaks-5-million-copies-sold/
  • Options
    To be fair here , I think there talking about the base . But that might not be the case , knowing EA . Theu cold be talking about all the packs . For record the Sims 3 sold 7. million copies the base game . Also to the fact Sims 4 most the years has been on sale

I know they're talking about the base. That's why I am surprised because I got Sims 4 base to me is very bare...and so many people threaten boycotts over missing features. LOL looks like it was all talk.
  • Options
    mortiamortia Posts: 1,155 Member
    shadowicia wrote: »

That article is based on pure speculation. There is no evidence that the Sim4 has sold even 500,000 copies much less 5 Million.
  • Options
    HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    I don't believe that they've sold 5 million copies of the base game. I don't know what that five million badge stood for, but EA has never confirmed it. A lot of people believe that a dev confirmed it on Twitter but if you read their actual comments, no they did not.
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • Options
    mortiamortia Posts: 1,155 Member
    I don't believe that they've sold 5 million copies of the base game. I don't know what that five million badge stood for, but EA has never confirmed it. A lot of people believe that a dev confirmed it on Twitter but if you read their actual comments, no they did not.

Exactly. And I'll post this again as well.

seE1EHe.jpg
  • Options
    Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
    edited August 2016

The tweet says "what does your gut say" Mine says that if you've sold 5 million copies then just come out and say we've sold five million copies. Like so much else communication wise with the Sims it's a wink and a nod with a vague hint that you can pretend anything you want with it.

Until EA releases the numbers for Sims 4 like they have here: http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/05/10/-wars-blefront-sales-top-14-million

"In its fiscal year report for 2016, Electronic Arts revealed Star Wars Battlefront sold 14 million copies across all platforms."

"Still, the company announced at the beginning of January Star Wars Battlefront sold in 12 million copies since the game's November release."

I'm not buying anymore hints. They can give firm numbers about Star Wars sales. They can give firm information about the nature of all the EPs to be released for Star wars for the year 2016 in January. They can do the same for the Sims as well. No more guessing games and the conflicts it's causing. it's ridiculous.
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited August 2016
    The Sims 2 had 18 expansions and Stuff packs in 4 years. How many EPs/GPs/SPs are there of The Sims 4 in two years-11?

Back in 2004 PC games weren't as Popular or mainstream as they are now. Nerd was an insult, now everyone wants to been seen as kinda nerdy. :lol:

It's not the same time nor the same- Plus, TS4 goes on sale so much more; Macs had to wait 6 months for their TS2 games to release.

You're looking at it as if it's 1800 and you hear how someone who's rich and they only have a few thousands dollars to having a few thousand dollars today.

Just my reasoning. :mrgreen:

*I have no doubt TS4 will outsell them all. Laptops weren't cheap back then either. :)
  • Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    edited August 2016
    mortia wrote: »

That article is based on pure speculation. There is no evidence that the Sim4 has sold even 500,000 copies much less 5 Million.
    The evidence is mainly in the ESA report on page 10. See http://essentialfacts.theesa.com/Essential-Facts-2016.pdf where TS4 is the best selling PC game in 2015 and TS4 Get To Work is number 4.

Considering that we are 7.4 billion (7,400 million) people living on this planet 5 million sold copies isn't such a high number anyway ;)
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    Maybe you should compare TS2 sales at that time to the PC games of that time and sales of TS4 to sales of PC games of this time. Then you'll get an idea of how well it's doing in the PC market. :)
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    In my view, it doesn't matter at all how many copies of a base game is sold. Cos how many of those now sit unused? Especially with a high profile series like the sims. You could have millions buying the next base game because they know it has been a good series, only to be disappointed and never buy another thing.

Base games aren't really a true reflection of how many people love a game. I would say that if the final EP in a series sold well then that's great cos it means people have lasted through the game and are still enjoying it enough to buy more.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    In my view, it doesn't matter at all how many copies of a base game is sold. Cos how many of those now sit unused? Especially with a high profile series like the sims. You could have millions buying the next base game because they know it has been a good series, only to be disappointed and never buy another thing.

Base games aren't really a true reflection of how many people love a game. I would say that if the final EP in a series sold well then that's great cos it means people have lasted through the game and are still enjoying it enough to buy more.

This is true. It matters if the other packs sell that much. Will their EPs, GPs and SPs out sell TS2 or TS3? And in this day and age where TS4 packs are on sale practically everyday, it seems they will buy it if it's cheap enough but not willing to pay suggested retail price. The difference of TS4 to TS2 or TS3 is more people were willing to pay whole price for those games and their packs. I wasn't so much for TS3 and often got 2 for 1 at Target for TS3 EPs, but I will not pay full price for anything to do with TS4 at all. But I was willing to pay every dime for TS2 and most of TS3 because those were big ideas in EPs.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    lisamtownlisamtown Posts: 206 Member
    edited August 2016
    If sims 2 stuff was not so expensive I would buy everything Amazon has up. Adding to the sales of 2... :smiley:
    graphics-wallet-540882.gif
  • Options
    SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    lisamtown wrote: »
    If sims 2 stuff was not so expensive I would buy everything Amazon has up. Adding to the sales of 2... :smiley:

Well, not quite, since sales of used goods don't count for the company, and every copy of TS2 or its EP's and SP's on Amazon is a used product (even if it says "New" since it's just someone with a mint, un-opened copy of the game selling it as "New"), well...it doesn't count toward the official numbers. However, if someone were keeping track of sales of used TS2 base games and expansions...
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • Options
    JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Maybe the 5 million button was for 5 million complaints :D
  • Options
    Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    edited August 2016
    Maybe 5 billion was combined sales between the different games, Sims 1, 2, 3, and 4.
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    I wouldn't be surprised if it manages to outsell TS2. It's a different time now than it was in 2004; more people have access to the Internet, laptops, desktops, etc. The changing times aside, I see TS4 constantly on sale for 20 dollars -- it's on Origin right now for that price! I've never seen TS2 go that low, not even new on eBay. And it's only 2 years after its release. Certainly.. different?

Anyway, I do recall TS3 being the most popular game out of all of them. It was a very nice addition to the series, so I'd say it deserves that. I just wish it were less buggy and more stable.