Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How would you feel about this hypothetical compromise on toddlers?

SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
Disclaimer: This is completely hypothetical and my own idea

Imagine this scenario: we have been told that it will not be possible to include a new life stage in the Sims 4, BUT Drake and the developers have told us that they are going to rework babies to skew a little older and fill that gap for players wishing for toddlers. An update to babies includes:

1.Babies now have a selection of clothing and hairstyles that can be changed
2.Babies are not untied from being tied to an object (ie. they can't be placed on the floor) but they now have more objects that adults can use to interact with them:
-Baby mat: babies can crawl around on this mat and adults can aid the baby to learn to walk on it, adults can also sit on it with baby and teach them to talk. Children can sit with the baby and play/hug/talk to them
-Potty: Adults can potty train a baby
-Stroller: Adults can take a baby for a stroll around the current neighbourhood (babies are tied to not leaving the home lot, but the neighbourhood directly outside of the home lot is accessible)
-Playpen: Baby can crawl around this playpen and play with the toys on the side/inside it, adults and children can talk to and play peekaboo with the baby
-Baby swing: A new baby swing with indoor and outdoor variant styles, baby can be placed in here while it rocks and can fall asleep in it. Adults and children can interact with the baby while it is in the swing
-High chair: Baby can be placed in the high chair and be given food/bottles
-Rocking chair: An adult can sit in the rocking chair while holding baby and read them a story and rock them to sleep
-Changing station: Baby can now be bathed and their diaper changed at the station
3. Update to current bassinet with more mature styles and some new room styles for baby

How would you feel about this hypothetical scenario? Would you be happy with this? Could you live with this if toddlers are impossible? Is it full toddlers or nothing for you - would this only make you more frustrated about the lack of toddlers? Do you have any other ideas as a compromise that would make you more satisfied?

Comments

• DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,596 Member
    No. And I'm the kinda player that doesn't even care about toddlers, but nope. That's not a good compensation.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • UmbralFlowerUmbralFlower Posts: 4,494 Member
    That honestly sounds like more work than toddlers tbh.
    ~*-*-*~ My SimLit: The Echoed Fragments || A Tale of Love and Fame ~*-*-*~
  • iriefthiiriefthi Posts: 1,073 Member
    No, i want something done right or not do it at all!!
  • lejoninnalejoninna Posts: 4,287 Member
    Better than nothin
  • ChloeDeCookieChloeDeCookie Posts: 2,467 Member
    I guess I would like that.. If we don't get toddlers then at least we would get somethin a little similar
    To all you beautiful people out there, have a lovely day.
  • PixelsimmerPixelsimmer Posts: 2,351 Member
    Honestly, I feel it would be weird to potty train a baby lol

I want toddlers back but I also want babies to be more than just glorified fish that you feed and look at every day. So I would be happy if they updated babies. That being said, it wouldn't be enough to compensate for the lack of toddlers. No matter how much you change babies, they are still babies and not toddlers and the gap between babies and children is just to big.
  • simgamesimgame Posts: 538 Member
    edited August 2016
    Wait I don't get it, I like your idea but.. How could they make elder sims, kids.... If they say making a new lifestage isn't possible?
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    No. Definitely not.
  • SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    simgame wrote: »
    Wait I don't get it, I like your idea but.. How could they make elder sims, kids.... If they say making a new lifestage isn't possible?

I meant, if it was impossible to add new lifestages at this point post-launch. All of the lifestages we have currently have been there since the beginning.
  • lejoninnalejoninna Posts: 4,287 Member
    I dont get you people
  • aclavoaclavo Posts: 1,517 Member
    QDog wrote: »

I want toddlers back but I also want babies to be more than just glorified fish that you feed and look at every day. So I would be happy if they updated babies. That being said, it wouldn't be enough to compensate for the lack of toddlers. No matter how much you change babies, they are still babies and not toddlers and the gap between babies and children is just to big.

Weird since you have more interactions with the bassinet babies than you do in TS3. I don't care for the toddler stage, I absolutely hated it in TS3 because it was watered down from TS2. IF toddlers were to come back, which I think they will, I want them done correctly this go around much like the TS2 versions.
    edited August 2016
    aclavo wrote: »

Weird since you have more interactions with the bassinet babies than you do in TS3. I don't care for the toddler stage, I absolutely hated it in TS3 because it was watered down from TS2. IF toddlers were to come back, which I think they will, I want them done correctly this go around much like the TS2 versions.

I know there are many interactions but it doesn't feel very natural. I guess it has to do with the fact that they have to put the baby down between interactions. It looks odd and unnatural and it feels like you're just interacting with an object. The developers said they were looking into this but I don't know if they will ever address this...
  • aclavoaclavo Posts: 1,517 Member

I know there are many interactions but it doesn't feel very natural. I guess it has to do with the fact that they have to put the baby down between interactions. It looks odd and unnatural and it feels like you're just interacting with an object. The developers said they were looking into this but I don't know if they will ever address this...

It was a stark contrast initially, but almost 2 years later it's not a distraction at all. I find the animations when interacting with babies cute and adorable, especially when rocking them or trying to shoosh them. But, to each his own.
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    To be fair they are not bad ideas. Maybe merge the babies and toddlers like teens and elders where with adults?
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg

It was a stark contrast initially, but almost 2 years later it's not a distraction at all. I find the animations when interacting with babies cute and adorable, especially when rocking them or trying to shoosh them. But, to each his own.

I don't hate the current system but there is plenty of room for improvement. Eg, even if current animations are cute, wouldn't it be cuter if you could pick up the baby and rock it while reclining on a rocking chair? Or nursing the baby while sitting down?

Also in my opinion, current interactions are just too short. It's like they can't wait to put the baby down again...
  • SkobeeSkobee Posts: 2,864 Member
    I like the idea, but I want this and toddlers. It just wouldn't be right to ditch an entire lifestage because they haven't figured it out. It's not our fault they messed up their beginning of the production. Either fix it, or tell us the truth but don't replace things. That's the first thing that makes the game even worse.
    Origin ID - RosyAngelina
    To be fair they are not bad ideas. Maybe merge the babies and toddlers like teens and elders where with adults?

Then in Ts5 we will only get one single age group which will consist of merged babies, toddlers, kids, adults and elders lol

Concept art:
    baby-head-mask-1.jpg

Just joking!
  • Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member

Then in Ts5 we will only get one single age group which will consist of merged babies, toddlers, kids, adults and elders lol

Concept art:
    baby-head-mask-1.jpg

Just joking!

OH and they're bringing body hair back for Sims 5!
  • Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
    I think improving babies is a very good idea but I honestly don't see this concept as a solution for not adding a full, fleshed out life state for the game. If EA/Maxis seriously made a game engine that is so limited that an additional life state can not be added then they all ready no that and should just say the toddlers will not be coming. I still have these sort of shredded hopes that they will and I'm not a toddler fanboy but I still think they should be there.

Concept art:
    baby-head-mask-1.jpg

Just joking!

The Sims 5: Revenge of the apes! :smiley:

*preorders*
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member

Concept art:
    baby-head-mask-1.jpg

Just joking!

ROFL. :D

I'm scared.... It looks angry !!!
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member
    My whole issue with not wanting toddlers is I don't want them unless they're much improved on TS3's. Not for me and not for anybody else. The babies, when you get less hung up on them being tied to moses basket (which is what they're called to me) are quite cute. I don't think that your compromise would work, for me or anybody else. I'd rather have nothing at all than that. Half toddlers or half babies wouldn't quite work.

Also, not to say I know how it works, but they could probably do half of that anyway, theoretically, just without the teaching to walk/talk/potty part.
    Pary wrote: »

Concept art:
    baby-head-mask-1.jpg

Just joking!

ROFL. :D

I'm scared.... It looks angry !!!

You would be angry if you where seven life stages thrown into one! :dizzy:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    edited August 2016
    I think improving babies is a very good idea but I honestly don't see this concept as a solution for not adding a full, fleshed out life state for the game. If EA/Maxis seriously made a game engine that is so limited that an additional life state can not be added then they all ready no that and should just say the toddlers will not be coming. I still have these sort of shredded hopes that they will and I'm not a toddler fanboy but I still think they should be there.

Graham confirmed a while ago that there is nothing in the game engine which would prevent adding additional life stages:

https://mobile.twitter.com/SimGuruGraham/status/481953870243831808
  • SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member

Graham confirmed a while ago that there is nothing in the game engine which would prevent adding additional life stages:

https://mobile.twitter.com/SimGuruGraham/status/481953870243831808

OMG thanks for finding it!