Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Who's still playing the Sims 1 from time to time?

Comments

• SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    I am playing fine now on windows 7 with discs so it can be done however I would really like a no crack cd program I think its called so I could remove the disc from the tray if anyone knows where I can download a safe version as the last time I tried I got rather a bad virus when taking a chance :)
  • SimChickeeSimChickee Posts: 402 Member
    SPARKY1922 wrote: »
    I am playing fine now on windows 7 with discs so it can be done however I would really like a no crack cd program I think its called so I could remove the disc from the tray if anyone knows where I can download a safe version as the last time I tried I got rather a bad virus when taking a chance :)

I think I got mine before from GameCopyWorld or something like that, just search that in and it should pop up. I don't recall ever getting a virus from there myself. Good luck! I hate changing CDS so all of mine have those No CD cracks.
  • SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    @SimChickee

Apologies for the late reply my sims series is on the back burner due to some terrible problems trying to play 3 and that has been taking up my time recently however as soon as that is sorted 1 will be getting sorted out again as I really don't want to have to use a disc either in the tray either-)
  • SimChickeeSimChickee Posts: 402 Member
    SPARKY1922 wrote: »
    @SimChickee

Apologies for the late reply my sims series is on the back burner due to some terrible problems trying to play 3 and that has been taking up my time recently however as soon as that is sorted 1 will be getting sorted out again as I really don't want to have to use a disc either in the tray either-)

I hope all goes well ,
  • SaraStrange22SaraStrange22 Posts: 35 Member
    I still do. I love the soundtrack on the original game and the feeling of nostalgia.
  • SoniaSimmerSoniaSimmer Posts: 85 Member
    I've never stopped playing The Sims 1. It's so amazing it doesn't get boring over time. In fact, I love all the things you can do here (especially with the Makin' Magic expansion) that we can't do in The Sims 4. And I remember how excited I got when I bought Superstar and noticed Avril Lavigne was in there and you could ask her for an autograph. Moreover, I think there were like more humor in this generation than in later versions (with the exception of The Sims 2).
    I will never not play The Sims 1, and I don't understand people who don't feel like playing it anymore. I need to play all generations from time to time; they're so unique and none of them can be forgotten <3
    resubida_zps0kskeuy1.gif

• TxrdlyPxxpTxrdlyPxxp Posts: 130 Member
    People admitting that they stole (downloading torrents for games you do not own is stealing) EA intellectual property on an EA-ran forum are ballsy!!!! O_O
  • SelSel Posts: 430 Member
    TxrdlyPxxp wrote: »
    People admitting that they stole (downloading torrents for games you do not own is stealing) EA intellectual property on an EA-ran forum are ballsy!!!! O_O

i know it's controversial, but since it doesn't directly harm EA financially (cause you could only buy used copies from ts1 if you wanted to have it legally, plus the original copies tend to have more problems than the downloaded all-in-one game) i think it's a bit of a grey area. i totally understand if you feel uncomfortable around that tho.

And I remember how excited I got when I bought Superstar and noticed Avril Lavigne was in there and you could ask her for an autograph.

Anyone remember that there was a Jon Bon Jovi NPC? That was so funny! :D
    Origin ID: Selxna
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I've never stopped playing The Sims 1. It's so amazing it doesn't get boring over time. In fact, I love all the things you can do here (especially with the Makin' Magic expansion) that we can't do in The Sims 4. And I remember how excited I got when I bought Superstar and noticed Avril Lavigne was in there and you could ask her for an autograph. Moreover, I think there were like more humor in this generation than in later versions (with the exception of The Sims 2).
    I will never not play The Sims 1, and I don't understand people who don't feel like playing it anymore. I need to play all generations from time to time; they're so unique and none of them can be forgotten <3

This is how I feel!
  • MiSFiT203MiSFiT203 Posts: 278 Member
    i just decided to install the complete collection, and im playing it now, but in all honesty im not enjoying it much. the camera bugs me, and seems like all i have time to do is pee, shower and eat lol. it was fun in its time though.

guess i'll install sims 2 complete next, give that a whirl
  • MiSFiT203MiSFiT203 Posts: 278 Member
    lol i just tried to exit the game and it crashed... i see EA / Maxis stays true to its roots. ROFL
    MiSFiT203 wrote: »
    i just decided to install the complete collection, and im playing it now, but in all honesty im not enjoying it much. the camera bugs me, and seems like all i have time to do is pee, shower and eat lol. it was fun in its time though.

lol i just tried to exit the game and it crashed... i see EA / Maxis stays true to its roots. ROFL

lmao yeah, ts1 has a lot of problems on newer PCs sometimes :/
    it's a really bad/annoying game for today's standards, but i really like it bc it makes me feel like i'm part of a different era when i'm playing it! :D

Did you try playing Sims 1 using a custom shower mod called Original Rejuvenation Chamber? It's a shower that your sims use and all their necessities turn green in like two seconds :) I discovered it two years ago, and it really makes a difference, because necessities turn red very quickly in comparison with later generations of The Sims. Oh, and there is also a purple espresso machine that does the same thing.

That way you can just focus on the things you really want to do in the game.
    resubida_zps0kskeuy1.gif

• TxrdlyPxxpTxrdlyPxxp Posts: 130 Member
    Sel wrote: »
    i know it's controversial, but since it doesn't directly harm EA financially (cause you could only buy used copies from ts1 if you wanted to have it legally, plus the original copies tend to have more problems than the downloaded all-in-one game) i think it's a bit of a grey area. i totally understand if you feel uncomfortable around that tho.

It's not a gray area though. The only gray area is if you own the game on CD and you download something where you don't need the disk. Tons of computers these days don't have disk drives. In that case it's probably a gray area.

But if you don't own a copy of the game, and you download it, there's no gray area. It's illegal. It doesn't matter if there's financial harm in it or not.

And talking about doing it on a site that's run by the company you're stealing from is not a good idea. Sure EA is most likely to do nothing about it, because that would cost them money and time and it's not worth it. But it's still not the smartest idea.

It's not a gray area though. The only gray area is if you own the game on CD and you download something where you don't need the disk. Tons of computers these days don't have disk drives. In that case it's probably a gray area.

But if you don't own a copy of the game, and you download it, there's no gray area. It's illegal. It doesn't matter if there's financial harm in it or not.

And talking about doing it on a site that's run by the company you're stealing from is not a good idea. Sure EA is most likely to do nothing about it, because that would cost them money and time and it's not worth it. But it's still not the smartest idea.

agree it's probably not a smart/nice thing to do, sorry :D
  • AnmirlaAnmirla Posts: 3,835 Member
    edited December 2016

You left out the other option...
    If you own the game and download it. Playing with the disk is not the issue for some of us. We couldn't install from the disks. The CD crack you are referring to would be absolutely useless.
    Paying $39.95 for the base game and $29.95/per EP back the early 2000's means you've already paid for the game. EA got their money.

EA won't do anything about it because they stopped making profit on it YEARS ago. Nobody cares. It's the equivalent of finding it by the dumpster. TS2 has reached the same mile marker.
    Now, TS3 is still raking in the profits for them via digital download. If TS1 and TS2 were available for sales via digital download through them, that would be a completely different scenario.

At this point, EA can twist this into something positive. If people can get their hands on this game and they come here to talk about it, they can try to persuade people to purchase the newer iterations. ;)
    baby%20bat_zpsgzvzhrnc.gif
    Anmirla wrote: »
    If TS1 and TS2 were available for sales via digital download through them, that would be a completely different scenario.

I thought you could still buy new copies of TS2? I bought all EPs new on Amazon with the disks like a year or two ago... (after they gave ts2 away for free on origin)

agree if ts1 was availabe for download legally i would've bought it.
  • AnmirlaAnmirla Posts: 3,835 Member
    Anmirla wrote: »
    If TS1 and TS2 were available for sales via digital download through them, that would be a completely different scenario.

I thought you could still buy new copies of TS2? I bought all EPs new on Amazon with the disks like a year or two ago... (after they gave ts2 away for free on origin)

agree if ts1 was availabe for download legally i would've bought it.

The copies of TS2 that you find were distributed a long time ago and these retail sources still have them on stock. EA stopped producing and distributing them about the time TS3 came out. Once EA shipped what they had from their warehouses, the only ones left to make a profit from TS2 were the retailers.
    EA wouldn't have offered UC for free if they were still making money on it. It was awesome of them to do that, and you better believe they were using it as a marketing strategy to expose Simmers to the new and shiny. =)
    baby%20bat_zpsgzvzhrnc.gif
  • XannahXannah Posts: 42 Member
    I would love to play again The Sims, but I haven't been able to make it work on my current computer. It would be great that it could be remastered to make it playable in modern computers. I love its simplicity.
    Banner004.jpg
    Xannah wrote: »
    I would love to play again The Sims, but I haven't been able to make it work on my current computer. It would be great that it could be remastered to make it playable in modern computers. I love its simplicity.

which computer do you have? i'm pretty sure there's certrain ways to get the sims 1 working on almost every modern computer :) i mean idk about macs but at least the windows ones should work...
    edited December 2016
    I haven't tried on the new computer I currently have (1 month, brand new). The old one is not here anymore. The new one it's a HP Pavilion, with Windows 8 (meh). I suppose I'll try again in a near future :)

Edit: LOL. I just noticed the "current" in my first post. That was a mistake, sorry ^^Uu
    Banner004.jpg
    ^ I have Windows 8.1 and it works for me, so I'm sure if you ever wanna play again you'll be able to make it work :)
  • slynnskislynnski Posts: 2,316 Member
    I just installed The Sims Complete Collection on my laptop this morning and played it for the first time. I love it. It's so endearing. I love the other 3 versions as well. But I don't see how TS1 could lose its appeal just because it is dated and slightly more difficult than the rest.
    Xannah wrote: »
    I haven't tried on the new computer I currently have (1 month, brand new). The old one is not here anymore. The new one it's a HP Pavilion, with Windows 8 (meh). I suppose I'll try again in a near future :)

Edit: LOL. I just noticed the "current" in my first post. That was a mistake, sorry ^^Uu

I've been able to Play the Sims 1 in Windows 8 and also in Windows 8.1. I'll tell you what steps I followed in order to make it work, and if you feel like it, you could try to make it work, okay?

1) I installed it in C:\Maxis\The Sims (this is very important, since I couldn't make it work if I installed it in C:\Program Files\Maxis\The Sims.
    And by that I mean that I installed not only the base game, but also every single expansion.

2) Once the installation (of the base game) is finished, you have to create a shortcut of the Sims.exe file, which you'll find in the C:\Maxis\Los Sims folder (it's the typical blue icon).

3) Right click on that shortcut and:
    -Click on run as administrator
    -Click on run this program compatibility mode for Service Pack 3 (some people say they run it selecting the Service Pack 2 option, but in my case that didn't work. You can try both and see which one is the most appropriate for you.

That's it. If you install every expansion in that installation rute and follow every step above, you should be able to play The Sims 1.
    I hope you find this brief tutorial helpful :)
    resubida_zps0kskeuy1.gif

@Sel Thank you, that's encouraging to know!

@SoniaSimmer ¡Muchas gracias! Thank you so much! That's really helpfull, as I'm not really good with software. I'll try to work it out as soon as I gather all my original cd's!
    Banner004.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top