Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Installing Sims 1 Windows 10-Solution Found

PandypinkPandypink Posts: 165 Member
edited February 15 in Nominated Threads
I know to actually play the game you need that patch someone released but unfortunately this requires you to have the game already installed. When I click on the setup.exe file, nothing happens. Has anyone been able to install Sims on Windows 10?
Sims 3 Wishlist
Post edited by EA_Solaire on

Comments

• MarcelinaMarcelina Posts: 167 Member
    Have you tried changing the compatibility? You can do that by right clicking on the game, > properties, > compatibility.
    Tick "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and tick Windows 8 if it worked for you on Windows 8.. etc.
    Experiment around, or try using the troubleshoot compatibility.

Hope this helped. :)
  • PandypinkPandypink Posts: 165 Member
    Okay I'll try that! It automatically put me in XP for compatibility mode but I'll try the other versions too.
    Sims 3 Wishlist
    Pandypink wrote: »
    Okay I'll try that! It automatically put me in XP for compatibility mode but I'll try the other versions too.

@Pandypink
    Hey! Did it work out for you or do you require further assistance with the game?
    @Marcelina Well I tried every single compatibility mode and nothing happened. Half an hour later as I am looking for answers again, the game suddenly popped up! So, one of the compatibility modes most have worked but it just takes a long time for the game launcher to show up. Now, unfortunately, clicking the "Install" button leads to nothing but I am hoping it will just be a delayed reaction again. Thanks for the help! I'll get back to the forum if it finally installs.
    Sims 3 Wishlist
    @Marcelina Well I tried every single compatibility mode and nothing happened. Half an hour later as I am looking for answers again, the game suddenly popped up! So, one of the compatibility modes most have worked but it just takes a long time for the game launcher to show up. Now, unfortunately, clicking the "Install" button leads to nothing but I am hoping it will just be a delayed reaction again. Thanks for the help! I'll get back to the forum if it finally installs.

Ah okay.
    But yeah, Sims 1 is a very old game and running it on Windows 10.. there is obviously going to be an issue there.
    Come back to this topic if you are having more issues :)
    Marcelina wrote: »
    Ah okay.
    But yeah, Sims 1 is a very old game and running it on Windows 10.. there is obviously going to be an issue there.
    Well, I can't get the launcher to come back at all. I really wanted to try the original but I guess it's okay. My cousin got it really cheap at Goodwill and gave it to me since he doesn't play Sims. I just wanted to use it as a tester as I was planning to buy the Complete Edition if this base game worked. At least I know now that it doesn't so I won't waste my money. I still have an old time computer down stairs so maybe I'll give it a go.
    Sims 3 Wishlist
  • SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    edited August 2016
    Ah okay.
    Well, I can't get the launcher to come back at all. I really wanted to try the original but I guess it's okay. My cousin got it really cheap at Goodwill and gave it to me since he doesn't play Sims. I just wanted to use it as a tester as I was planning to buy the Complete Edition if this base game worked. At least I know now that it doesn't so I won't waste my money. I still have an old time computer down stairs so maybe I'll give it a go.

You have to remember, the Sims 1 base game came out in 2000 - people were still running Windows ME. By the time Sims Complete Collection was out, people were running XP and Vista. So the Sims Complete Collection has a better chance of installing on Windows 10 than the Sims 1 base game. (I still have both the base game I bought in 2001 and the Sims Complete Collection that I bought as a backup, in storage. As soon as I figure out which box they are in, they are coming out of storage.) In the meantime, you might pay a visit to CTO Sims, a Sims 1 fansite with forums, and ask there about how to install Sims 1 on Windows 10. I recall seeing instructions there, but you have to register on the site to read the forums.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
    edited August 2016
    Ah okay.

You have to remember, the Sims 1 base game came out in 2000 - people were still running Windows ME. By the time Sims Complete Collection was out, people were running XP and Vista. So the Sims Complete Collection has a better chance of installing on Windows 10 than the Sims 1 base game. (I still have both the base game I bought in 2001 and the Sims Complete Collection that I bought as a backup, in storage. As soon as I figure out which box they are in, they are coming out of storage.) In the meantime, you might pay a visit to CTO Sims, a Sims 1 fansite with forums, and ask there about how to install Sims 1 on Windows 10. I recall seeing instructions there, but you have to register on the site to read the forums.
    I was reading the collection seemed to work better too but I'm just a little hesitant since most EBay sellers of stuff like that don't do returns. I'll definitely check out that site though so thanks!
    Sims 3 Wishlist
  • WinMacSims3WinMacSims3 Posts: 1,610 Member
    @Pandypink The Sims uses SafeDisc which is not supported in Windows 10 as well as Windows Vista through 8.1 with KB3086255 (said update blocks SafeDisc). This also applies to games like SimCity 4 and Syberia which also use SafeDisc although it's important to note that Windows 10/KB3086255 will only block the CD version of SimCity 4 since the download versions from Origin, GOG, and Steam do not include SafeDisc. Games that do have a download version will work while the CD version will not but as of August 2016, there's no official download version of The Sims.

@Marcelina @SimsILikeSims It's not the game that's the problem, the problem is that the copy protection isn't compatible (see above paragraph for why TS1 doesn't work). For example, The Sims Medieval didn't work on Windows 8 since the copy protection used wasn't compatible with said OS, this was fixed in December 2013 but this added the Origin sign-in requirement. Likewise, many Games for Windows LIVE titles also didn't work since the GFWL clients included with the games were incompatible with Windows 8.

In fact, I've even ran The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection, the original The Sims 3 (which 1.0 would be intended to run on Windows XP/Vista, not Windows 8/1/10), and The Sims 4 on Windows 10 as seen in the YouTube video. The only Sims game I couldn't get to work on Windows 10 was The Sims Complete Collection, I also had issues with the game not working on Windows Vista until I unblocked SafeDisc.
    Origin ID: GothicSimmer, YouTube: GothicSimmer
  • LotjemulderrrLotjemulderrr Posts: 5 New Member
    Hi Guys, for weeks i'm searching the internet off to look for a way downloading the sims 1 or 2 on my macbook. I tried several versions downloaded from the internet which were great, untill I started the game and my macbook said that I had the wrong software. My macbook is running on EL capitain. So someone please help me and tell me there's a way to download one of these games on my macbook with this software because the sims 1 and 2 may have bad graphics.. But the options and activities you can do on this game are so so much more fun then those on the sims 4 and 3, it's like they're building the game off more than on.. PLEASE HELP!!!
    @WinMacSims3 I am aware of the SafeDisc problem but there is a solution. Someone released a player made patch that bypassed this and it was shared on these forums. Many are using it and have put it through their virus detectors and it looks safe. I just bought the Complete Collection off EBay and am planning to try this. I'm just hoping that it will install easier than the base game but luckily the seller does allow returns in case not.
    Sims 3 Wishlist
  • WinMacSims3WinMacSims3 Posts: 1,610 Member
    edited August 2016
    @Lotjemulderrr The Sims and The Sims 2 do not work because they are PowerPC games. As of 10.7 Lion, OS X no longer includes Rosetta so The Sims as well as most The Sims 2 games do not work since they are PowerPC only. The Sims Stories games and some later games (Seasons and Bon Voyage) are Universal while The Sims 3, The Sims Medieval, and The Sims 4 are Intel only. If you want to play The Sims or The Sims 2, you'll need an Intel-based Mac that's running Mac OS X 10.4-10.6 (Tiger, Leopard, and Snow Leopard) or a PowerPC G4/G5 running Mac OS X 10.3-10.5 (Panther, Tiger, or Leopard).

Alternatively, you could purchase The Sims 2: Super Collection from the Mac App Store which will work on your Mac. Another option (if you have a Windows copy and Windows versions of The Sims/The Sims 2) is to install Windows through Boot Camp but it might be tricky if you have a Retina MacBook Pro or MacBook Air since these Macs have SSDs so I'm not sure if 128 GB will be enough to install Windows plus TS1/TS2. Also newer Macs don't include a SuperDrive so installing the games and possibly running it (since the CD/DVD needs to be in the drive when The Sims/The Sims 2 is launched) won't be possible without a USB DVD or Blu-ray drive.

@Pandypink The game can be installed but it won't run without workarounds. If The Sims is ran on Windows 10 through bypassing SafeDisc, the game will have some graphical glitches that older Windows versions didn't show. When I played it on Windows Vista on the Dell XPS 410, I didn't have any graphical glitches. I've only used the U.S. version of The Sims Complete Collection to install the game so I'm not sure about the other versions since I don't have the older games or the European exclusive Complete Collection of The Sims.
    Post edited by WinMacSims3 on
    Origin ID: GothicSimmer, YouTube: GothicSimmer
  • SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    Hi Guys, for weeks i'm searching the internet off to look for a way downloading the sims 1 or 2 on my macbook. I tried several versions downloaded from the internet which were great, untill I started the game and my macbook said that I had the wrong software. My macbook is running on EL capitain. So someone please help me and tell me there's a way to download one of these games on my macbook with this software because the sims 1 and 2 may have bad graphics.. But the options and activities you can do on this game are so so much more fun then those on the sims 4 and 3, it's like they're building the game off more than on.. PLEASE HELP!!!

I believe there was a MAC version of the Sims Complete Collection, but since I am unfamiliar with Apple Mac operating systems, I cannot help you. Also, links to .iso files of abandonware are not permitted in this forum.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
    Well I have an update. I just received the Complete Edition in the mail and popped it in my laptop. Once again, the launcher refuses to show up. I go looking through a bunch of Youtube videos again and finally see a response about the installing issue. For some reason, you must copy the setup.exe file over to desktop and then open it as an admin. In a few minutes the launcher popped up and I installed without a problem. Next, I followed the instructions that worked around SafeDisc as posted in the forum here and got my game running. I've been playing a couple hours and the game looks fine and saving is working. Hope this helps anyone with this issue because I noticed a lot of people having trouble with the install on Youtube.
    Sims 3 Wishlist
  • KathisKathis Posts: 1 New Member
    I come from the future who also has windows 10, and the sims complete collection disks. Who brings a message to those who come from the more further future than I, who are still having this issue.

So here is what I found, after a few hours of trying everything to just get the installation setup.exe in disk one to work.
    First off, the launcher will not work. So to jump start it, go to the folder on the disk called "Setup" and in there will be file called setup.exe. This is the one you will want to work with. It will essentially jump-start your installer by bypassing the whole launcher menu. From there just follow the instructions, use the key printed on the booklet provided in the case, and it will install.
  • mandyssims93mandyssims93 Posts: 122 Member
    Kathis wrote: »
    I come from the future who also has windows 10, and the sims complete collection disks. Who brings a message to those who come from the more further future than I, who are still having this issue.

So here is what I found, after a few hours of trying everything to just get the installation setup.exe in disk one to work.
    First off, the launcher will not work. So to jump start it, go to the folder on the disk called "Setup" and in there will be file called setup.exe. This is the one you will want to work with. It will essentially jump-start your installer by bypassing the whole launcher menu. From there just follow the instructions, use the key printed on the booklet provided in the case, and it will install.

You are an angel. :)
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    edited September 2019
    When I first played it years ago you could get rid of the disk by copying the disk to your hard drive, but you had to copy All the files. ie any hidden files as well and you had to use the command show all files. Forgotten how now, years ago!
  • Travis123Travis123 Posts: 1 New Member
    [quote="mandyssims93;c-17229978"][quote="Kathis;c-17083792"]I come from the future who also has windows 10, and the sims complete collection disks. Who brings a message to those who come from the more further future than I, who are still having this issue.

First off, the launcher will not work. So to jump start it, go to the folder on the disk called "Setup" and in there will be file called setup.exe. This is the one you will want to work with. It will essentially jump-start your installer by bypassing the whole launcher menu. From there just follow the instructions, use the key printed on the booklet provided in the case, and it will install.[/quote]

You are an angel. :)[/quote]

Did it work for you?
  • MartinbMartinb Posts: 2 New Member
    hello i am having the same issues as this thread. its so sad to me i cant just buy this game digitally, as i cant install a disc because im on a laptop. i got a The Sims iso, and I mounted it, and Ive tried running the serup.exe file as admin and in all the different compadability modes but every time the setup.exe program appears in my task manager and there is no installer that popups up, like its running in the background, should i just let it run????? please i want to play The Sims 1 so bad
  • MartinbMartinb Posts: 2 New Member
    nvm got it !
  • laterAligatorlaterAligator Posts: 1 New Member
    Here I am, years later with the same problem... What actually works?
  • MaerndyMaerndy Posts: 5 New Member
    > @Kathis said:
    > So here is what I found, after a few hours of trying everything to just get the installation setup.exe in disk one to work.
    > First off, the launcher will not work. So to jump start it, go to the folder on the disk called "Setup" and in there will be file called setup.exe. >This is the one you will want to work with. It will essentially jump-start your installer by bypassing the whole launcher menu. From there just >follow the instructions, use the key printed on the booklet provided in the case, and it will install.

This right here worked for me on 2 different computers (Windows 10 and Windows 11)
  • angiec0307angiec0307 Posts: 7 New Member
    How do I play it now? I followed the instructions given above and I set my path to my external hdd. Do I need to restart the computer before it will play? Also my computer resolution ended up huge. What can I do to fix that? I'm on Windows 10. It would help if EA decided to just put it onto origin as some of us like to play the older games!
  • rysskrispiesrysskrispies Posts: 1 New Member
    also having the issue where it wont play after install. anyone have updates?
  • Mread1Mread1 Posts: 7 New Member
    Hello! it says "launcher failed to shutdown autoplay" Does anyone know how to fix this?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top