Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Which hair type do you prefer? Alpha or clay?

Comments

• SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    jupiknow wrote: »
    > @Simpkin said:
    > I prefer the clay hair.
    > I think the other hairs make sims look like prostitutes.

Sound like my grandma when I buy jeans that are a little too tight.

your grandma's a clever woman then
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • taydevtaydev Posts: 912 Member
    I think clay works better with TS4 art style. For TS3 alpha was much better.
  • JumpingTrainsJumpingTrains Posts: 442 Member
    edited May 2017
    I hate alpha hair so much lol.

It just screams "cheap" to me, like a "Maya for beginners" class work.
    (Maya is a program for modeling video game characters by the way)

It's trying to look real but it's everything but real, especially in the Sims 3. At least the Sims 2 made it thicker and had hair movement. Sims 3 looked like paper and had no movement.

I'm happy The Sims 4 has clay hair. One of the best decisions they made imo.

Edit: also I forgot to mention that a lot of CC alpha hair clips like crazy with the Sim's bodies. I know there's already clipping with official Maxis stuff but the CC hair is so shameless in this regard lmao.
  • kaylaholidaykaylaholiday Posts: 224 Member
    I used to be all about the alpha hair but in the last month or so I've cleaned out my cc and gone to clay/Maxis match exclusively. Now, alpha looks so mismatched to me! Maxis match can be more difficult to find, in my experience, but it makes it more of a treat when you find a really good hair/artist!
  • ladybreidladybreid Posts: 3,455 Member
    Clay all the way. Most alpha hairs I've seen clash with the art style which drives me bananas, I can't stand the clash.
    wz3Vdbh.jpg
    Saying "not to be rude", then blatently being rude does not excuse rude behavior.
  • CitySimmer16CitySimmer16 Posts: 331 Member
    Alpha hair had a great run in TS3 and it looked amazing there, but unless you plan on using all no maxis match cc during game-play and all that, it's gonna look super out of place and because of that, I prefer clay. It works better during game-play
    FFCOojX.gif
  • jupiknowjupiknow Posts: 4 New Member
    @Simpkin yeah she is, just a little too judgmental though ;)
  • dyl_andwhatdyl_andwhat Posts: 367 Member
    edited May 2017
    Maxis-Match/Clay all the way! It fits into the game's artstyle more than Alpha CC.
  • Sonata13SingerSonata13Singer Posts: 183 Member
    I like both but I do think clay hair fits more with the art style of Sims 4 and alpha hair kinda sticks out.
    3ZWheQM.gif
    Origin ID: Sonata13Singer

I also create music and art (search up Sona13Singer on google... but I haven't been uploading a lot recently)
  • AmySims09AmySims09 Posts: 1,227 Member
    What is Alpha Hair?
  • Autumn_CatsAutumn_Cats Posts: 347 Member
    edited May 2017
    I use clay but I think alpha is much more pretty, but I can't make it look good XP
  • cadecade Posts: 5 New Member
    I personally prefer the clay hair. If I was playing Sims 3, maybe I'd go with alpha-looking hair... but clay hair meshes far more easily with the overall art style of Sims 4. I don't like how alpha hair looks in Sims 4.
  • BrownGamerGurl1BrownGamerGurl1 Posts: 1,136 Member
    TheSimer wrote: »
    Alpha hair is terrible. It doesn't fit into the artstyle of sims 4 at all and it looks like a wig to me. I love the style of the hair in sims 4. It is really something different than in other games and looks amazing to me.

I like alpha, but it doesnt really suit the style and I also prefer the clay or maxis match. Nothing wrong with the hair in the game either, because it's like you said, a different art style.
  • KashSAGamesKashSAGames Posts: 19 New Member
    I prefer alpha hair since it looks realistic and most of the hairstyles are absolutely gorgeous!
  • LottiesimsLottiesims Posts: 57 Member
    Definitely clay here, especially with the style of TS4. Alpha was more suited to TS3 imo.
  • DoctorMeow23DoctorMeow23 Posts: 26 Member
    Alpha all the way. Too me alpha hair looks like it has more work and thought put into it. But I do like some clay hairs but I never use them.
  • spiffehspiffeh Posts: 41 Member
    > @bythedreadwolf said:
    > Clay, but some clay hairs are terrible, specially the one you chose, haha. But there are some great ones out there and I usually use retextures even for EA's hairstyles because I hate their limited over-saturated colors. Examples:
    >
    > (Spoiler)

I love you for sharing this!
  • SimericaSimerica Posts: 5 New Member
    Definitely alpha I guess.
  • zombiesuezombiesue Posts: 148 Member
    Clay. Alpha member gets toward... uncanny valley eugh
  • SonjaCopelandSonjaCopeland Posts: 65 Member
    For me it's Clay (Maxis Match) Alpha hair is nice, the creators do really good jobs, but it's just not me.
  • ShaeShae Posts: 303 Member
    Def alpha. Esp with my sims, because it gives them a look of realness.
    Just a visually impaired gamer who enjoys taking ordinary Sims and making them extraordinary.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=WbRQP-PXDpA
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I guess I prefer clay because I like the TS4 style for hair. I don't use CC though.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • MarktnMarktn Posts: 554 Member
    irl I think I see both all the time. Hair is different and unique so enjoy what you enjoy. The sameness is what I don't like. I use a little of both. For me it is what looks "right" on an individual sim.
  • poltergeistpoltergeist Posts: 1,411 Member
    this is clayified hair:
    tumblr_os9ok1Gnft1tofbmvo3_1280.png
    this is maxis match:
    tumblr_ooomvpK8oh1v6t21ko4_1280.png
    clayified refers to alpha hairs that have been edited to be flat/like clay.
    i only like maxis match, clayified looks ugly imo and alpha is fine if you make everything else alpha. mixing, on the other hand, really bothers me. i don't know how people can do that..

origin id: kuhpflanzen ∘ tumblr
    tumblr_inline_p3itdx0yaH1v2uzv2_1280.gif

• haydub07haydub07 Posts: 84 Member
    I like the look of MM, but I haven't found as many good ones. However, as long as the hairstyle is cute, I don't care what it is lol