This site has entered read-only mode as of July 18th. The new Forums.EA.com are now live.

Which hair type do you prefer? Alpha or clay?

Comments

• Options
    lejoninnalejoninna Posts: 4,287 Member
    @pandie00 the jacket in ur avi is really kool, do u remember where u got it?
  • Options
    pandie00pandie00 Posts: 591 Member
    “Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.” - Will Wright.

12-01-2017 <3
    Rebuilding Genetics Family Tree

My Tumblr : pandie4sims.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    I prefer the style that comes with the game - I think it matches everything else better.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • Options
    foussifoussi Posts: 642 Member
    edited August 2016
    Clay

Because it fits to sims 4, alpha hair is way to realistic. A sim with alpha hair is strange in a cartoony world.
    Also the alpha hair gets messed up when having lower graphics and i dont want townies running around with the hair.

I mostly download clay hair cc . I like the half of ea hairstyles.

Edit:I corrected some sentences because my spelling went downhill.
  • Options
    IfreshyehIfreshyeh Posts: 1,403 Member
    pandie00 wrote: »
    Simpkin wrote: »
    I stand by my statement. No offence if it's your sim ;) I just really don't like cc.

No offence taken ofc! I just never seen a comparison like that before XD lolol

I think your sim is really pretty and I love that hair. I didn't realise that prostitutes had a specific look or be used as an insult but if that's what they look like, I hope i see more of them in my game. Wheres the hair from?
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,096 Member
    Alpha hair all the way I'm not a fan of clay hair the more realistic the better.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    LinamintsLinamints Posts: 952 Member
    edited August 2016
    I would say clay hair with high quality texture and ANIMATION.

Do you hear me EA? ANIMATION

https://youtu.be/YylMviddbvk

I tried to do just that with accessories in this game and ultimately got absolutely nowhere! This looks really great!

As for my own opinion, I use alpha almost exclusively. I also delete townies so the difference in the population doesn't bother me because as time progresses there is almost no one left in my world with default hairs.

There is a small handful of of EA hair that I actually like (probably two or three hairs). Aside from those the only clay hairs I use are Karzalee's because they are so much more detailed mesh wise than EA hairs. But while this seems to be an uncommon opinion, one of the things that struck me as odd with TS4 when I started playing was how much the hairs didn't match (to me) anyway what I considered to be really pretty sims. The texture and detail were just too simplistic.

That being said, Alpha hairs aren't always the answer either, I may like some meshes but hate the texture and opt to do my own version of the colors I want to use, Which is another reason it doesn't bother me. The different in appearance is something I can fix myself, and I do like that Alpha can add actual dimension to the hair while I feel that clay hair looks more like a costume hair hat. Not a wig exactly, but like those fake 60's hairstyle hats.
    I'll admit though that they have improved their hair a lot, but I still feel my own personal hair aesthetic (really long hair) is just not represented enough and I doubt it ever will be.
    Post edited by Linamints on
    "Parenting is just like gardening, except if you let your garden die you don't go to prison." - Anna Blast
  • Options
    pandie00pandie00 Posts: 591 Member
    “Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.” - Will Wright.

12-01-2017 <3
    Rebuilding Genetics Family Tree

My Tumblr : pandie4sims.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    sjoslorsjoslor Posts: 10 New Member
    I'm for the alpha hairstyles all the way ;)
  • Options
    ironknight35ironknight35 Posts: 3,751 Member
    edited August 2016
    lejoninna wrote: »
    I prefer the clay hair.
    I think the other hairs make sims look like prostitutes.

ya + custom skins make them look beat up
    Some CC skins do look a little weird, but not all of them. I'm using a Maxis Match skin on my Sim and I really like the look of it.

Here he is with the cc skin
    848LY2I.png?1

Post edited by ironknight35 on
    He/Him
  • Options
    shadowiciashadowicia Posts: 591 Member
    I always find CC is way too shiny. It makes them look like plastic, literally.
  • Options
    shadowiciashadowicia Posts: 591 Member
    edited August 2016
    I prefer the clay hair.

LOL...
  • Options
    witch_hammerswitch_hammers Posts: 50 Member
    Clay hair definitely, although I do use some clayified alpha hair.
    I find when sims have a lot of realistic cc it just doesn't look right to me.
  • Options
    ironknight35ironknight35 Posts: 3,751 Member
    DeKay wrote: »
    I prefer the clay hair.

How does alpha hair make Sims look like prostitutes? 0.0
    I use alpha hair all the time and my Sims never look like a prostitute, lol! xD

I know, right? XD XD XD To me alpha hair just makes my sims look like they're wearing wigs.

I have to agree with you on that. Some CC hair can look like your Sim is wearing a wig... Especially the ones that aren't made very well.
    He/Him
  • Options
    carly552carly552 Posts: 119 Member
    Alpha hair all the way

I like my sims looking realistic, the sims 4 sims don't help that. So alpha hairs help me with that.

Plus, in my opinion, clay hairs just look ugly
    baby-pink-cute-cute-night-gif-Favim.com-3891443.gif

• Options
    NobahdeeNobahdee Posts: 75 Member
    For Sims 4, I prefer the "clay" style. The style does fit the game, but overall, I do prefer alpha and sims 3 in my opinion was great for it.
    Follow my Sims Let's Plays below:

o1yuxsO.jpg?1
  • Options
    jheyjuneicejheyjuneice Posts: 335 Member
    Alpha hair. I have CC everything so clay hair wouldn't match. I never mind the difference from the townies, etc. who still have clay hair, actually I barely notice it. If I do clay hair, it has to be retextured, I tend to have clay for hairstyles such as dreads and braids.
    6Y6GB8R.png
  • Options
    kathrynnnkathrynnn Posts: 14 New Member
    I'm late to this debate but I much prefer alpha, I love my cc
  • Options
    NobahdeeNobahdee Posts: 75 Member
    lejoninna wrote: »
    I prefer the clay hair.

ya + custom skins make them look beat up
    Some CC skins do look a little weird, but not all of them. I'm using a Maxis Match skin on my Sim and I really like the look of it.

Here he is with the cc skin
    848LY2I.png?1

See, that looks really nice (handsome guy btw)!
    Follow my Sims Let's Plays below:

o1yuxsO.jpg?1
  • Options
    HIFreeBirdIHHIFreeBirdIH Posts: 1,410 Member
    I like clay hair. I usually always look for Maxis match CC in order to fit in the art style, so clay hair all the way for me.
    Just some random Simmer you probably don't even follow on the gallery! Gallery name's the same as my username! Did I just rhyme there?
    xyIcMqt.png
  • Options
    rshell193rshell193 Posts: 284 Member
    Some alpha hair just looks weird. I love the clay hair
  • Options
    SimsChica2013SimsChica2013 Posts: 75 Member
    Clay! I never liked alpha for ts4, but I gave it a try yesterday, and it looked really weird like it was staticy. Clay is better quality, imo.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,559 Member
    edited August 2016
    If EA had provided this hair to begin with and CC creators started making Clay hair, I bet the same simmers would be saying, "Oh, clay hair doesn't fit the theme." "Sims hair shouldn't look like that. This is The sims, not My Sims." :D

I don't get this "doesn't fit the theme" business.
    There are many types of alpha hair and some are just as painterly as the game. Clay or Alpha they can fit in this world aesthetically. Unfortunately the engine doesn't support alpha well for reasons that may had to do with the original intent of this game.
    08-13-16_7-45-20nbspAM.png

"Oh my god, the hair, it's too reals!"
    08-13-16_11-31-43nbspAM.png
    I'm more bothered that she's overdressed for a hike through the woods than her hair. That party dress was meant for the dance club. Funny that she called Vaughn up for a date and took him to the spa I placed in Granite Falls.

Oh, and Ling heard that comment about prostitutes.
    That's just mean. :|
    08-13-16_11-15-14nbspAM.png

Ling by the way has hair that I feel is too realistic for the game.
    It was one of the first batch of CC hairs that I tried. It totally transformed her look, so I kept it.
    I am on the constant look out for something less realistic in the same style.
    12-17-14_12-52nbspAM_1.png

I don't mind because I am quite intentionally pushing up the realism of my game.
    Obviously I can only push so far with that cartoon sky, but I am putting in more realistic textures here and there and will be looking for more realistic CC objects.
    03-02-15_7-24nbspAM-3.png

Yep, so I an openly rebelling against an art style that went too cartoonish for my tastes, probably for reasons that had to do with a bad decision in early development. I do like the way TS4 looks, but I just wish it was a little more realistic with more detailed object meshes and textures.
    My%20Sims.jpg

And honestly, I don't want a game that looks identical to what everyone else is playing and isn't really what I want in the first place.
    I definitely don't respond well to what something is "supposed to be."

So... moss grass, curlicue clouds, cottage cheese carpeting, cartoon bricks, texture-less rubber lip textures, painted on eye brows, mono eyelashes, replaced.
    08-01-15_9-09nbspPM_1.png

I try to stick to hair that has a cartoonish lean to it, and with a minimal amount of strands.
    But there has to be some strands because that is what hair is, not some freaking tentacle.
    04-18-15_2-07nbspPM-4.png

Often I do come across hair that I should reject, but the style is so interesting, or adds something to my sim's personality, I keep it.
    10-13-15_8-06-36nbspPM.png

So this is what draws me into the game and makes me want to play. I am sure EA does not mind, especially if I am spending more money.
    Oddly some simmers do, even though it's my game and not theirs that I am doing it to. I had one guy who would freak every time he saw my pictures. Some kind of conformist c'🐸🐸🐸🐸, I guess.
    07-21-16_11-33-22nbspAM.png

And Like I said, I actually enjoy a game that does not look like the norm, so I will customize for sure.
    I would like to thank EA for giving us more realistic lighting. This actually helps me out a lot.
    06-03-16_2-18-30nbspAM.png

Now if only someone would convert some of TS3's nicer birch trees over to TS4.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    3KNPen3KNPen Posts: 2,825 Member
    edited August 2016
    @CK213 Just so you're aware there is a more Maxis Matchy retextured version of the black double buns. Its not super clayfied but a nice blend of the two.

2ntlhky.jpg
    2cxb3on.jpg

I unfortunately don't have the link to it any longer but it does exist out there in the world if you're interested.
    ~ ~ ~
  • Options
    BeanfootBeanfoot Posts: 602 Member
    I'm really into the in-between clayified alpha hair. I think it looks really nice and has the best of both worlds: a very soft, flowing look without being too stringy or chunky.