Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Questions for Gamescom Q&A Panel

Comments

• Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited August 2016
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Let me see if I got this right, from reading post from those who attended like Crinrict and others in their own blogs. From what I gathered this was more or less a promotional meeting of how they could get more fan created websites up and running to promote the game, talk about the positives of the game and not focus on the failures and so Maxis could sell more games? Yep, I'm pretty sure that was the heart of the matter.

@crinrict hasn't posted anything about Gamescom in her blog. Nobody else I've seen post so far mentions the stuff you're talking about. Only a few people have posted about the event so far that I've seen. This is the most detailed description; I posted it here earlier, but maybe that was a different thread: https://julyvee94.wordpress.com/2016/08/19/the-sims-panel-and-my-experience-at-gamescom-2016/

She did a write up in German and someone translated it for us here, and it's posted here somewhere and btw, she wasn't the only one. I think I got the gest of the meeting to build more websites to promote the game. How hidden was that? Not very.

@crinrict isn't SimTimes.de. Also, there's nothing at all about building more websites to promote the game in that blog post.

Here's a link, for whoever is Awesoming what you said:
    German: http://www.simtimes.de/gamescom-2016-so-arbeiten-die-producer-an-die-sims-4-21872/
    Google Translate: https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http://www.simtimes.de/gamescom-2016-so-arbeiten-die-producer-an-die-sims-4-21872/&edit-text=
    It's the same content as the other blog post.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Let me see if I got this right, from reading post from those who attended like Crinrict and others in their own blogs. From what I gathered this was more or less a promotional meeting of how they could get more fan created websites up and running to promote the game, talk about the positives of the game and not focus on the failures and so Maxis could sell more games? Yep, I'm pretty sure that was the heart of the matter.

@crinrict hasn't posted anything about Gamescom in her blog. Nobody else I've seen post so far mentions the stuff you're talking about. Only a few people have posted about the event so far that I've seen. This is the most detailed description; I posted it here earlier, but maybe that was a different thread: https://julyvee94.wordpress.com/2016/08/19/the-sims-panel-and-my-experience-at-gamescom-2016/

She did a write up in German and someone translated it for us here, and it's posted here somewhere and btw, she wasn't the only one. I think I got the gest of the meeting to build more websites to promote the game. How hidden was that? Not very.

@crinrict isn't SimTimes.de.

Never the less it was about building more websites (on the premise of getting players involved) to get more positive websites out there and how they could get some freebies, and so Maxis could have more positive voices out there to prop up this game and try to sell more. You aren't really naïve are you?
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    carlymichellecarlymichelle Posts: 3,402 Member
    IngeJones wrote: »
    Arletta wrote: »
    didnt they announce before sims 4 was even out that toddlers would not be in the game?

Doesn't matter. They were either promised (the alpha interview stating that all life stages would be present) or implied (...won't be in game at launch) and therefore need to be put in, or people need to be informed otherwise. They also need to apologise for people taking their words as promises or implications. The End. No amount of variations of '..but you were informed otherwise' work, at least from my experience.

Well to be fair, we did know toddlers had been omitted from the base game after all, in good time to cancel our orders. Even if SGGrant misspoke, it was still corrected before we had committed to paying for the game. Though it might have been better really if they had said "yes what Grant said was actually in error" rather than trying to pretend it hadn't been said at all!!

the trouble with the internet too is words dont always translate properly compared to talking to people in real life if you know what i mean
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Never the less it was about building more websites (on the premise of getting players involved) to get more positive websites out there and how they could get some freebies, and so Maxis could have more positive voices out there to prop up this game and try to sell more. You aren't really naïve are you?

I have the blog posts open on my desktop right now. The event was about explaining development processes and structures; people asked questions particularly about communication issues.

No, I'm not really naive; of course companies have an ultimate goal of promoting and selling their product. If they didn't, they would go out of business. I'm also, however, reading what actually happened at the event according to the blog posts. And I do get frustrated when people say words say a thing that they don't, not even close.

*edited mostly for grammar
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    ShakuahiShakuahi Posts: 129 Member
    Shakuahi wrote: »
    I don't get it. This whole influencers. No offence to the people invited to that meeting, but I don't know anyone of them.
    But I get it. I'm old and I'm not enjoying watching kids playing games on youtube and apparently that's how influencers looks these days. I have to adjust, ok.

But I can't understand how it is possible that I couldn't find single person from Poland attending that meeting? I mean - Germany is Polands neighbour. We have a lot of Influencers, awesome people which are just amazing but none of them was worthy of an invitation? It is really, really sad that Polish community is so discriminated. In my personal opinion it is really, really significant that EA refused to invite anyone from a country which was so close to the place where main event was held.

Not everybody is going to be able to or want to dedicate their summer holiday time and budget to going to a gaming event. They won't all take up the invitation if it's offered. I know that if I'd been invited, I would have turned it down, even if I lived in the next country over. Other stuff in my life is more important this month. I'm sure you could ask some of the more prominent people from Poland if they received an invite?

I could and I did ask. Of course not every single person, but those who I knew personally. I've asked if anyone heard about anyone from Poland being invited. And that's why I wrote that I couldn't find a single person attending. Maybe there was someone from Poland, maybe not. But even if people were busy, I can't imagine that it was impossible to find at least one person willing to attend that meeting.

But you're right, I don't have enough information to say that no one was invited and that's my mistake.
    ronswanson1.jpg?quality=85&strip=info&w=920
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    @luthienrising would you mind sharing them with me? I'd like to read them actually :)
  • Options
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    @luthienrising would you mind sharing them with me? I'd like to read them actually :)

SimsVIP has a post gathering posts etc.: http://simsvip.com/2016/08/19/sims-gamescom-2016-panel-event-qa-preview-list/ They do a pretty good job aggregating this stuff as it comes out. Most hasn't yet - I think a lot of people haven't even left to go home yet.
  • Options
    SimTrippy wrote: »

SimsVIP has a post gathering posts etc.: http://simsvip.com/2016/08/19/sims-gamescom-2016-panel-event-qa-preview-list/ They do a pretty good job aggregating this stuff as it comes out. Most hasn't yet - I think a lot of people haven't even left to go home yet.

Thanks!
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

I have the blog posts open on my desktop right now. The event was about explaining development processes and structures; people asked questions particularly about communication issues.

No, I'm not really naive; of course companies have an ultimate goal of promoting and selling their product. If they didn't, they would go out of business. I'm also, however, reading what actually happened at the event according to the blog posts. And I do get frustrated when people say words say a thing that they don't, not even close.

So, are you saying the meeting (part of) wasn't about getting up more fan based websites and telling them how they could get promoted by EA, and get freebies, and to hopefully zero in on the positive aspects of the game instead of the negative to promote the game? Wow, it was in the itinerary right here in this thread by guru, so it must have been mentioned don't you think? And must have been a huge objective of some part of the meeting. And coined as reaching out to their international community.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    carlymichellecarlymichelle Posts: 3,402 Member
    edited August 2016
    catitude5 wrote: »
    MocaJava wrote: »
    @SimGuruDrake I'm speechless. Just...wow. I can't believe your bosses think that speaking this way to its customers is acceptable. Condescension, finger wagging...I'm at a loss. I wish I could formulate a great, detailed response like some of the others before me have, but I'm just too shocked. And in the end, it doesn't matter anyway. You simply won't listen. You're going to cling to the people who tell you the game is awesome and continue to believe that anyone unhappy is simply wrong. It's not worth the effort.

Kudos to you who still have the strength to keep going, I don't. I'm done with this garbage.

They keep peeing on us and telling us it's raining. There is a long laundry list of missing features, and they can't understand why folks are unhappy. I've modded this thing to the moon just to make it interesting. I don't understand in heaven's name why they thought this game was an improvement. From reading suggestions from what people want, they want the freedom of Sims 3 combined with the charm of Sims 2. If they give us that for Sims 5, they will have a runaway winner. But they don't listen to us, and think they know better than we do as to what the customers want.

in life you dont always get what you want?? i would love toddlers in sims 4 but maybe they just are not possible?? and if they are we just have to wait? imo there are alot of demanding people on these forums
  • Options
    HyeionHyeion Posts: 522 Member
    Shakuahi wrote: »
    To7m wrote: »
    Ok, you say toddlers are 'topic of conversation every day'... What on earth are you talking about then if you STILL don't have an answer either way?

I imagine something like that...

198bjo.jpg

Seriously, Brilliant.
    mfCdivN.gif

Origin ID: Hyeion
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    @SimGuruDrake I'm speechless. Just...wow. I can't believe your bosses think that speaking this way to its customers is acceptable. Condescension, finger wagging...I'm at a loss. I wish I could formulate a great, detailed response like some of the others before me have, but I'm just too shocked. And in the end, it doesn't matter anyway. You simply won't listen. You're going to cling to the people who tell you the game is awesome and continue to believe that anyone unhappy is simply wrong. It's not worth the effort.

Kudos to you who still have the strength to keep going, I don't. I'm done with this garbage.

They keep peeing on us and telling us it's raining. There is a long laundry list of missing features, and they can't understand why folks are unhappy. I've modded this thing to the moon just to make it interesting. I don't understand in heaven's name why they thought this game was an improvement. From reading suggestions from what people want, they want the freedom of Sims 3 combined with the charm of Sims 2. If they give us that for Sims 5, they will have a runaway winner. But they don't listen to us, and think they know better than we do as to what the customers want.

in life you dont always get what you want?? i would love toddlers in sims 4 but maybe they just are not possible?? and if they are we just have to wait?

This I do not believe for one second. They may be working with a new game engine, but they're not working with some kind of unknown alien technology where they need to completely rediscover how to make & animate any- and everything. I'm fairly certain toddlers are possible, I see people making 3D objets & renders pretty much every day (here at home actually) and if they really, really wanted to add them from the very beginning, they would have been added by now. Or, again, they would at the very least be extremely close to finished by now. If they only started working on them a year ago, then maybe not. But that'd be a pretty late date to start imho. But yes, you're right, we just have to wait & see, because there's not much else we can do anyway.
  • Options

So, are you saying the meeting (part of) wasn't about getting up more fan based websites and telling them how they could get promoted by EA, and get freebies, and to hopefully zero in on the positive aspects of the game instead of the negative to promote the game? Wow, it was in the itinerary right here in this thread by guru, so it must have been mentioned don't you think? And must have been a huge objective of some part of the meeting. And coined as reaching out to their international community.

In this list? http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/15110825/#Comment_15110825 No. No it wasn't.

I give up. Go ahead and read whatever you want into things. I'm sticking with what people actually say.
  • Options
    catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member

in life you dont always get what you want?? i would love toddlers in sims 4 but maybe they just are not possible?? and if they are we just have to wait? imo there are alot of demanding people on these forums

I don't believe they can't do it. That's a crock. They don't WANT to do it. I'm talking about giving us the freedom of Sims 3 with the charm of Sims 2, not putting toddlers into this game. This game is so limited they can't even give us a swing set. There is probably very little they can do with this game.
  • Options
    IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    But the INFLUENCERS - sounds like a menacing group of mind snatchers.....

I really really want that lol button back :D

• Options
    IngeJones wrote: »
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    But the INFLUENCERS - sounds like a menacing group of mind snatchers.....

I really really want that lol button back :D

I really want menacing groups of mind-snatching clowns, now.

Can we have Alien Tragic Clowns?! I might be able to do this.
  • Options
    EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    While I'm waiting to board my flight (it's going to be 12 hours in the air! O.O) I wanted to take the time to comment on a few things, I'm on mobile so please bear with me.

Remarks about me being condescending: Nothing I ever say is meant to be an insult to you. Do I come off strong when writing lengthy, no jokes in sight, kind of responses? Absolutely. That's because I believe I should be very serious with you during conversations like this because you deserve my unde attention.

To those of you who I've had polite conversations, reached out to me or responded to me in private messages to chat about things in a more "quiet" space, and those who facilitate a welcoming conversation in threads for all kinds of feedback my comments should have been clear that I wasn't referencing you. The way you engage in providing your thoughts and opinions is the exact engagement that I would like to see throughout all the conversations in the forums and other areas of the Internet. Having mutual respect for one another (developer and customer) is a big deal and I'd like you to know that I have respect for quite a lot of you and am very thankful when you take the time to correct the course of threads when you see someone misquoting or taking something out of context and that you take the time to be constructive with your criticism.

Culling, Relationship Decay: As I've mentioned before, I don't work in development, but as I do work in communications there are somethings that I can do. I had a chat with another member of the Comms team and we will be having a meeting with the right people to see what exactly is going on with this so we can provide you with a clearer answer. I may not be able to provide you an answer right away (traveling plus I have a Disneyland vacation coming up) but I will be working hard to get you some kind of insight into this.

Toddlers: We know that this is a big issue within the community and we definitely are not blind to your pleas for us to tell you something. I wish the answer wasn't one I keep repeating but it's the only one I have for you. With that in mind I want you to know that we absolutely hear you, this is something that is a topic of conversation every day that I'm at work. Because the team hears you, they understand this is a big part of how you immerse yourself in the game and it's a most loved part of the game for many of you. I stickied that toddler thread as acknowledgement that we absolutely hear you, I asked Lyndsay to go into that thread so that she could express that she hears you, and the team appreciates reading every idea/picture that is provided in that thread. We just simply don't want to constantly give you the same answer over and over because it does feel self defeating for us and we know it is frustrating for you. I absolutely HATE asking you this but please be patient when we have something to say in either direction we will tell you.

Influencer feedback: Yes these individuals tell us about things that they see talked about but each has a different community with different concerns. For example: Some are more focused on building than stories so their feedback will be on terrain manipulation, spiral staircases, platform staircases, roofing options, split levels, etc. I try to make sure I work with a variety of people and there are some I've started working with recently so we have even more variety in feedback. But we absolutely look at the feedback / ideas section for themes that we may have never thought of or to confirm that a theme we were thinking is of interest to you.

Phew that was a lot of typing but I'm on my flight now so I will chat with all of you Monday when I'm back in the office :)

Hope you're enjoying your weekend!

@SimGuruDrake Thanks you for this post because as a customer, simmer I was feeling a bit insulted. After all, not myself wanting to be insulting, it is the customers that pays the worker, if it wasn't for the customers EA would not have a job.
    If I had my own business, it would really be the customers who was supporting me, so that I would be able to pay my own bills.
    So your email seemed to be a littler insulting.
    After all good business relationships result results in better income.
    You have a great day and a safe trip and will be looking forward to a better relationship.
    God Bless

• Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    @Writin_Reg I've just spent time reading this whole thread and my head is spinning. I'm going to take a bit of time digesting it all......I just have to say.....

"But the INFLUENCERS - sounds like a menacing group of mind snatchers....."

Now that made me laugh out loud.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    people forget they have to do all the animations etc for the sims to put it in perspective it takes disney up to 3 years to animate their movies? get what i mean?? making toddlers just doesnt happen
    We all know it takes time to do things. But, presumably, toddlers were being worked on before the games release, which is why it was initially said we would get them (and there are toddler references in the game code) - so some of the work would already have been completed. Since that time they've had 2 further years to finish them off...
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top