Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Plum Tree Family Tree Tool: Developers Wanted

Comments

• crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    Thanks. Yeah, FAQs are great :D

Mine is growing right now and having 5 partners seems a bit much for the representation (as you can see for Vernon Behr): http://app.theplumtreeapp.com/public.html#57af20068db55b0e00e86a0e

It gets a bit getting used to the handling but I'm loving recreating my butchered family tree from old saves :D

It's also very stable. I haven't seen any errors since the one you fixed.

Anyways, few more suggestions:

- Partner Status: Deceased or something. Ex Partner just doesn't sound right for those that lost their partner
    - Also, some of my Sims liked to do one night stands and I don't would really would count them as neither partner nor ex-partner but more of a:ups. Also MCCC has done some weird adopting in my game so now I have two Sims that have never been partner adopt a child together (yeah, I know, it's weird). So having some other type of status for those would also be great.
    - The Clone one is a tiny bit unclear to me. Who would be the biological parents ? The same as your clone OR the clone itself ?
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

• ThePlumbobThePlumbob Posts: 4,971 Member
    edited August 2016
    @crinrict That is a lot of partners :D

Well your first question is almost kind of philosphical - Does somebody stop being your sim's spouse because they've passed away? In my eyes, they'd still be a partner. We're thinks ng of potentially including an age drop down that would cover all stages from Child to Deceased in the future.

The one time flings - I'd probably just call them partners. I think if we get too granular with it (one night hookup, a girlfriend of two weeks, they went out for a life stage...) it might get a bit much and hard to navigate all the menus!

The biological parent of the clone would be the clonee.
  • ernesdoernesdo Posts: 1,476 Member
    For the earlier problem, I tend to use "married" for the deceased spouses, even if the sim remarried.

One question I have is, are you planning on adding gender colors? Like, Family Echo has pink/blue depending on the gender. I ask because I tend not to take pictures of the non-heirs' families, so I have just the default silhouette. It would be nice to have the option of making the circle around the picture a color depending on the gender. Here's my family to show what I mean.
  • HeyItsTashieeHeyItsTashiee Posts: 172 Member
    edited August 2016
    Looks fantastic, I have signed up! Will have a look at the guides later on and hopefully have a little play around tonight. Really looking forward to this! :#
    I'm using s4pe for exporting the pictures of my Sims.

You can use the localthumbnailcache file and open it with s4pe then export.

So this is what I've been doing for the pic

- Delete the current localthumbnail file
    - Go into the game and navigate around your tree until all pictures are loaded
    - Close the game
    - Open localthumbnail file with s4pe and export the pictures to a png.
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    AHQ Tutorial

ThePlumbob wrote: »
    @crinrict That is a lot of partners :D

Well your first question is almost kind of philosphical - Does somebody stop being your sim's spouse because they've passed away? In my eyes, they'd still be a partner. We're thinks ng of potentially including an age drop down that would cover all stages from Child to Deceased in the future.

The one time flings - I'd probably just call them partners. I think if we get too granular with it (one night hookup, a girlfriend of two weeks, they went out for a life stage...) it might get a bit much and hard to navigate all the menus!

The biological parent of the clone would be the clonee.

Just one status would be fine: Fling (for example)

I agree that the other randomness in my game is probably quite unique
    AHQ Tutorial

• fabemefabeme Posts: 830 Member
    ernesdo wrote: »
    For the earlier problem, I tend to use "married" for the deceased spouses, even if the sim remarried.

One question I have is, are you planning on adding gender colors? Like, Family Echo has pink/blue depending on the gender. I ask because I tend not to take pictures of the non-heirs' families, so I have just the default silhouette. It would be nice to have the option of making the circle around the picture a color depending on the gender. Here's my family to show what I mean.

Oh a circle color depending the gender would be really nice!
    Sims 3 and Origin Username: fabeme
    fabeme wrote: »

@ernesdo & @fabeme A way of getting around this would be for you to upload a placeholder image for the people without avatars, either your own or a stock one from a source like iconfinder.

We are unlikely to introduce a feature like this by default since it would almost be enforcing a gender stereotype to an extent. (I do get the intention, and that there are users that would like it, but equally there would also be users who may dislike the feature, so you can see where it would get problematic.)
    Simmy549 wrote: »
    Looks fantastic, I have signed up! Will have a look at the guides later on and hopefully have a little play around tonight. Really looking forward to this! :#

@Simmy549 Awesome! Happy to have you on board! Hope you share your published tree with us in this thread when you get a chance to make one :)
    crinrict wrote: »
    I'm using s4pe for exporting the pictures of my Sims.

You can use the localthumbnailcache file and open it with s4pe then export.

So this is what I've been doing for the pic

- Delete the current localthumbnail file
    - Go into the game and navigate around your tree until all pictures are loaded
    - Close the game
    - Open localthumbnail file with s4pe and export the pictures to a png.

That's cool! Definitely very interesting! :)
  • Pegasus143Pegasus143 Posts: 2,490 Member

I disagree about this- I never liked the gendered colors in Family Echo, and originally when I started using it they didn't even give an option for other. One of the things that I like about Plum Tree right now is that it doesn't ask for gender, and if someone really wants to specify it they can write it in their sims' bios.
    Pegasus143 wrote: »

I disagree about this- I never liked the gendered colors in Family Echo, and originally when I started using it they didn't even give an option for other. One of the things that I like about Plum Tree right now is that it doesn't ask for gender, and if someone really wants to specify it they can write it in their sims' bios.

Exactly what I was getting at in my reply above. Some users may appreciate such a feature, but some may dislike it, so it's not something we would implement.
    edited August 2016

@ernesdo & @fabeme A way of getting around this would be for you to upload a placeholder image for the people without avatars, either your own or a stock one from a source like iconfinder.

We are unlikely to introduce a feature like this by default since it would almost be enforcing a gender stereotype to an extent. (I do get the intention, and that there are users that would like it, but equally there would also be users who may dislike the feature, so you can see where it would get problematic.)

Maybe you could upload those to the server and people could choose to upload their own avatars or those generic ones (or none like now) ? Maybe also a pair that has a male/female figure instead of colors ?
    AHQ Tutorial

• JaseJase Posts: 2,147 Member
    Wow...
    Thank you for taking the time to create such as awesome app. As a family player, I pretty much only play legacies and this will come in super handy. I'm going to go create my account right now. :)

A way of getting around this would be for you to upload a placeholder image for the people without avatars, either your own or a stock one from a source like iconfinder.

Maybe you could upload those to the server and people could choose to upload their own avatars or those generic ones (or none like now) ? Maybe also a pair that has a male/female figure instead of colors ?

Stock images wouldn't be an immediate priority for us at this stage - perhaps in the future when we look further into customisation options :)
    Jase wrote: »
    Wow...
    Thank you for taking the time to create such as awesome app. As a family player, I pretty much only play legacies and this will come in super handy. I'm going to go create my account right now. :)

@Jase So happy you like it! I play exclusively legacy-style too, so I can relate!
    Latest News: We've been getting a lot of feature requests, so to keep you in the loop on what's already planned and where we see the priorities, make sure to check out our brand new Roadmap section.
    Are you guys on Twitter ? Can't find any links (but then again, I'm might be blind)
    AHQ Tutorial

Are you guys on Twitter ? Can't find any links (but then again, I'm might be blind)

Yep! It's in my signature :)
    See, I knew about the blind part.
    AHQ Tutorial

• Angelllite7Angelllite7 Posts: 9,730 Member
    This is cool. I will DL and give feedback when I get a chance to try it.
  • MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,176 Member
    It looks really awesome :) It kind of makes me want to make a family tree just so I can use it (my Sims have gotten as far as gen 2...). On the other hand my main Sim does have a big family, except I never made them - I guess I'll be generating relatives for her in CAS ;).

@ThePlumbob I do have a question though (and I haven't seen it in the thread yet, or I skimmed over it), will you, at some point in the future, be looking into different language versions of the app? I can imagine players from other countries, who aren't that good at English, would love to make use of it in a language they're more comfortable with.
    I skimmed over the roadmap, so I know you still have a lot of things planned, but just pitching an idea here :)
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
    It looks really awesome :) It kind of makes me want to make a family tree just so I can use it (my Sims have gotten as far as gen 2...). On the other hand my main Sim does have a big family, except I never made them - I guess I'll be generating relatives for her in CAS ;).

@ThePlumbob I do have a question though (and I haven't seen it in the thread yet, or I skimmed over it), will you, at some point in the future, be looking into different language versions of the app? I can imagine players from other countries, who aren't that good at English, would love to make use of it in a language they're more comfortable with.
    I skimmed over the roadmap, so I know you still have a lot of things planned, but just pitching an idea here :)

@MDianaSanders That's a great question to ask! We would love to look into language localisation of the app somewhere down the line, the only issue with this is we'd actually need volunteers who would help us with the translation, since we aren't proficient in many languages :) But definitely something we would like to explore in the future!

Unrelated - I adore your avatar! So summery! :)
  • HillyBethHillyBeth Posts: 3,505 Member
    I've got news for those of you who have been looking for an alternative family tree tool to track your sim families in - we've launched a public beta for our family tree app, The Plum Tree.

We made this web app specifically for TS4, so you can add your sims' traits, aspirations and bios as well. The Plum Tree can be accessed from most standard web browsers. You can learn more about what the tool does and how it works here.

The app is still in beta, but we have now opened this up, which means that if you'd like to use it, you can just head on over to theplumtreeapp.com and create your account.

Check out the post below for quick links and latest news. Remember this is still a beta so there might be some kinks - but we hope you enjoy!

PiDBHIU.jpg

One thing that bothers me is my kids' future wife's parents can't be added to her side of the family tree.

LINK: http://app.theplumtreeapp.com/public.html#57b0a7adf978430e000498e7
    Origin ID
    HillyPlays
    P.A.C.E- Positive Attitude Changes Everything
  • ernesdoernesdo Posts: 1,476 Member
    edited August 2016
    Yeah, I had thought about the issues of gender coloration when I made my post, but figured I'd ask about having it as an option so those who don't like it don't have to use it. Thank you for the idea of uploading a placeholder image though! I'm going to go ahead and do that by having a purple image for girls and lime green for boys~ :)

Green isn't the best choice when the background is green. xD Blue for boys, purple for girls.
  • MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,176 Member
    @ThePlumbob Thanks :) I really like my avatar too.
    As for the volunteer translators, you can list me as a possible volunteer for the Dutch language version. I'd love to help out, but whether I'll be able to will depend on how much time I have or can make for it.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
    HillyBeth wrote: »
    I've got news for those of you who have been looking for an alternative family tree tool to track your sim families in - we've launched a public beta for our family tree app, The Plum Tree.

We made this web app specifically for TS4, so you can add your sims' traits, aspirations and bios as well. The Plum Tree can be accessed from most standard web browsers. You can learn more about what the tool does and how it works here.

The app is still in beta, but we have now opened this up, which means that if you'd like to use it, you can just head on over to theplumtreeapp.com and create your account.

Check out the post below for quick links and latest news. Remember this is still a beta so there might be some kinks - but we hope you enjoy!

PiDBHIU.jpg

One thing that bothers me is my kids' future wife's parents can't be added to her side of the family tree.

LINK: http://app.theplumtreeapp.com/public.html#57b0a7adf978430e000498e7

Hey @HillyBeth ! Partner's parents/siblings are a very highly requested feature, if you check out our FAQ and Roadmap you can learn a bit more about why this is not currently possible and how we plan to address that in the future :)
    Yeah, I had thought about the issues of gender coloration when I made my post, but figured I'd ask about having it as an option so those who don't like it don't have to use it. Thank you for the idea of uploading a placeholder image though! I'm going to go ahead and do that by having a purple image for girls and lime green for boys~ :)

@ernesdo That sounds really cool, I imagine the tree will look quite vibrant! :) I look forward to seeing it :)