The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Plum Tree Family Tree Tool: Developers Wanted

Comments

• floridameerkatfloridameerkat Posts: 1,190 Member
    Why do I periodically have to fix the parents section of each node? I just checked my tree, and a bunch of the kids on it have the incorrect parents listed, even though I know they were correct originally.
    Gallery ID: floridameerkat
    Family trees:
    Young
    Pearce
    Niner
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    I've seen people can add another node next to secondary sims, like as if secondary sim has another relationship other than with the primary sims, how?
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    This thread is so old - how do you find this family tree thing?????
  • ArtsyBananaArtsyBanana Posts: 339 Member
    https://www.theplumtreeapp.com/public/58cfd15dcc36a00e175ea0c4

Updated my Family Tree up to Generation 42 so far. My god this tree is getting long.

XD
    See what's up in my gallery: Origin ID: ArtsyBanana
    I have finally finished my Legacy Challenge , these are the Levis (numbered by Generation!)
    https://imgur.com/L3Q6aQZ

• catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member

Updated my Family Tree up to Generation 42 so far. My god this tree is getting long.

XD

Got "unknown error occurred" for that link.

Got "unknown error occurred" for that link.

Hmm I tried that link and it brought me to the tree just fine.

Oh well maybe this link will work
    I have finally finished my Legacy Challenge , these are the Levis (numbered by Generation!)

• HillyBethHillyBeth Posts: 3,505 Member
    edited November 2020
    I haven't used this site in a long time due to the fact that you'd have to create separate family trees for other family members. Plus my legacy has gotten a little screwy this past week. One of my sims ended up marrying his cousin's half-sister!(the parent the half-siblings share is their mother. The two cousins come from one's father and the other's mother.)

ETA: Look here to see what I mean.

Cousins are Michael Worthington(Mother is the sister of his cousin's father) and Ryder Cole.
    Ryder's father Oliver is Michael's mother Emily's twin brother. Bianca is Ryder's half-sister from his mother Tiffany and stepfather Camden Tanielu. He doesn't talk to his mother and stepfather at all. She abandoned him when he was a baby.... At least, that's how the story in my head went. In reality, I screwed something up with MCC but it's fixed now.
    Origin ID
    HillyPlays
    P.A.C.E- Positive Attitude Changes Everything
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    I hope this app also add support for previous sims games, like adding traits from sims 3 or personality bar from 2. I dont use this tree solely for my sims 4 legacy, but i also use it for sims 3.
    ihavemultiplegamertags

• YautjagirlYautjagirl Posts: 351 Member
    edited May 2021
    Hi everyone, today I finally decided to give it a try and I love the amount of details you can put into it, but I am quite lost. I created a tree for my main family that I play I added the husband and wife and their kids, but I would also like to add parents of the wife so they would show in the tree and also her brother. Is there a way to do it as I can't figure this out. I don't want her parents to be the main node, but I want them to be included.
    My another question is when linking another person from another tree will it automatically reclicks to their family tree or it only shows that they are link elswhere and I would have to go to that family tree manually. Thanks in advance.

It is a great app, but I find it very hard to use :(
  • PenguinFoopPenguinFoop Posts: 1,582 Member
    This question may have been answered in one of the 39 pages of this thread but unfortunately, I'm limited on time so can't read them all. So please, can you tell me how to separate the different parent combinations? For instance, my family has three children.

Thanatos Louverdis and Senior Pollination Technician #3-1 (alien abduction) have Vasilios Louverdis.
    Thanatos Louverdis and Persephone Papadakis (married) have Xanthippi Louverdis.
    Persephone Papadakis and Brock Kennedy (bf/gf) have Effrosyni Louverdis.

But since Thanatos is the founder of the tree, it only lets me lump all of these combos in his node so it looks like he's married to all of them even Brock whom he is romantically involved with but has nothing to do with the bloodline of Effrosyni (although she has been given his surname since Thanatos doesn't know she's not his).

y4mIfvtzcubz4DlaIaJk9I6_KLTC2DElw0m8xjUZcpjX5YgYCAUT4GQ_D_Kb-1B1NGvCGsaMI3WV9EzecMIKV5cD4h2vh8cPiSbalQldX5CtEJmDmTFQos3RNT9j6NExKI7ZMU42ZmoCfHIpDz__Ja2rRrV_SN3iLyZTI7ZerLpT2J2h5dnQ7QpehZmTbSW6nMJ5C71N-uSQqkjMNvzYJ0ObP9AE8HAZKjEcY4UO9zXwig?width=569&height=275&cropmode=center

So is there a way to separate the different pairings in the same tree or do I need to make different trees for each child and link them to the main one?

Here's the complete tree:

y4m-7yGJhoLHxsv-6GVyAccaDf86xMF1kdNlpOXt1KtbdktftlqS1aaJxVJV5RgugT2ZjKrbaZgAI52ELfJ5oLTPvoOQ7muUn_QqJLX0tdg-mxWO30yD691vnvvTnPpe3HhDSfkoWKpJw68UTuHcR6bBwoaAJ2WcrqOR8GEDhApI05Nsj3vC8_DYBXf3GCE2bmdfp6u7WHQhJ-6kKDCVcQVyeOdkN4oiPzw3wc-12wY6aQ?width=1053&height=553&cropmode=center
  • Ersa_MiddletonErsa_Middleton Posts: 697 Member
    For children that don't share the same parents, you'll have to create separate trees if you want to share that kind of information. Same goes for wanting to share the ancestry of said different partners(if what I said makes sense).
    SamDenny wrote: »
    For children that don't share the same parents, you'll have to create separate trees if you want to share that kind of information. Same goes for wanting to share the ancestry of said different partners(if what I said makes sense).

yeah that's what I was kind of thinking and yes it made perfect sense. lol

So to do this, I would have to go through and create each sim again in each of their trees basically since Thanatos would show up in three trees; the main, Vasilios's and Xanthippi's, I'd have to "create" him thrice? Each iteration for each tree?

Or is that were linking comes in because I'm not sure exactly what linking does. So far, all I've seen it do is add a little link icon to the node. I'm not sure if it's supposed to link the person to his/her own person in the tree or link that person to their own biological bloodlines in that tree or how that works...

Full Disclosure: I often overthink things thus becoming confused and misunderstanding true intent of the situation...
    I tried out linking a long time ago and didn't quite understand it, as it is now, it links back to my main tree. Of course that was before I found this today : https://theplumtreeapp.com/guides/linking-sims-to-other-trees

Might make things a little easier for you.
    Yeah, I read that but it doesn't really say what I need to know. For instance, Vasilios is the son of Thanatos and Senior Pollination Technician #3-1. So he would be linked to the main Louverdis family tree (I'm guessing to his own place in the tree.) But I have to completely create him in each tree so it the link simply there to for the viewer to pop from one tree to the other or is it supposed to link his details and everything between the trees?

It seems that perhaps there should be a database for all people that exist in your account so that you can easily add each person to all applicable trees without having to go through and enter their details in each individual tree. If that exists, can you tell me where? If not, can it be added by the devs? Also, that doesn't really help with the different parent pairings...

My tree is small now but hopefully will grow so I'd like to figure this out while it's still a sprout.

Thanks for all of the info, it's been great! I just can't seem to find the answers I'm looking for. :disappointed:
    edited June 2021
    An alternative that I use is http://familyecho.com

It's intended for real life family trees so it's private. In order to share, you have to take screenshots.

You're able to separate children by the parents they don't share and you can decide to build the partner's tree from that(I think). Either way, it's all on big super tree and there's setting at the bottom that lets you display the number of generations and so forth.

heETgin.png
    edited June 2021
    Yes, I like the way this one links the families but of course, it lacks the robust sims 4 details of the Plum Tree. If only the two could be married and build their own Family Tree tree...

y4mol3sr48Hb88cL7Cs50WIDnLS-BKhXf8oCSpvC4vSn9B1eqZV0y3Ih37WUa_ExVGNMgeRGxLyjelMxVLsaT4liDr94KX_x6j_ck95MqijDEwh2msGLORMFLh6JhFPeyCw6a4WbekHsbg9s3Rk36i6tvIqrpYpozw_NosorSjx9hBuAlDUym7FQnZCELlqqGxX8sZzuZmxs5KOHnAQaF4ytjN4EliPNfxFPYdHb-7W0QM?width=1341&height=408&cropmode=center
  • ThePlumbobThePlumbob Posts: 4,971 Member
    @Yautjagirl Hi, sorry for the late reply! First of all I love the look of your sims, very unique!

In regards to your question, the way the app is built the tree starts with the node, so for the wife's parents to show you would need to start with them. The alternative would be making a separate tree for the wife's parents/family and linking that tree.

When you link two trees, a link icon appears on that sim in the tree, when you click on the icon it gives you the direct link to the other tree, so you don't have to look that up manually. Just make sure you include the link on both trees so that you can go back and forth between them.

@PenguinFoop You touch on a few things so let me try to answer them separately:

Multiple partners - Yes, there is not really a way to separate them out. It is worth mentioning that if a sim has children with multiple partners, you can enter who the parents are when you create the node, and then when you hover over the child in the tree it actually fades out the sims who are not relevant and highlights the parents.

Linking trees - Correct, if you want to create the person to feature in three trees, you would have to make them three times. The reason it works this way is so that you can link trees made by different people where relevant, rather than only those made by the same users. I realise that's mildly inconvenient but it makes linking trees useable in more scenarios.
    If not, can it be added by the devs?
    There is actually just one person behind the Plum Tree, my husband :) He originally made the app because I was writing a legacy story to help me track the family in a way that was easy to share with readers. We knew that there would be other people that might be interested in the app in the simlit sphere, but we never really anticipated such a large interest from the wider simming community!

This was a few years ago, and we've gathered... quite a few users along the way, which is pretty cool. However, my husband does have a full time job and another professional project he spends most of his spare time working on, so unfortunately he doesn't really have capacity to add new features to the Plum Tree. We do love that the simming community enjoys the app though and will continue to maintain it so that simmers who use it can continue to do so :)

Family Echo is definitely a good alternative, the way both apps are built is quite different so you can definitely pick whichever suits the type of family you have better.
    @ThePlumbob Thank you for the responses! Yes, Family Echo does do good where The Plum Tree is lacking but The Plum Tree is by far the better choice in my opinion since it allows the sims-specific features.

As for your husband having a full time job... what were you thinking??? He needs to quit that nonsense and work solely on The Plum Tree!!! (I kid!) :tongue: I'm getting ready to go to college this fall for my BS in Game Development so maybe if he needs it, I can help after I get some proper coding education? I'll only require three times your husband's annual salary for my time. :smile: (Again, I kid. I'll settle for double. lol)

But back to the tree, it is amazing as it is. The things that it does lack aren't overly serious, just more of a nuisance, I think. So it is the one I'll be using so I can share my unique family with the rest of the community.

One thing that I definitely noticed when starting with the tree is how amazingly it would work for keeping stories on track! Now that I know the reason it was created, I can definitely see it! Kudos to you and your husband for the hard work! Thanks for taking the time to create TPT and for responding to my posts.

I'm still trying to figure out the linking system though. I've only gotten one link out of several attempts to work so it's a bit of a challenge for me. I'll keep trying though as I always do. This app is definitely worth figuring out, in my opinion.

And seriously, if your husband needs it, I'll gladly volunteer what spare time I can to assist in whatever way I can to this amazing project!

P.S. As for your compliment on my family, thank you so much! I love diversity and poor Thanatos was just abducted again... Who knows how this will turn out? lol And now Persephone has been seen flirting with young Caleb, the vampire. Oh boy! What's this about??? Not to mention Thanatos has planned a family vacation to the beach now that it's fall. Did someone mention merfolk? Maybe someone cast a spell on him? Hmm? Could that be something as well??? Oi, this tree!!! So much drama!
  • ThePlumbobThePlumbob Posts: 4,971 Member
    @PenguinFoop Aww, that's very sweet of you, thank you for your kind words, we appreciate the support :)

Re linking trees - there's a good tutorial video made by The Sim Twins/Brooke and Bree Plays that might help!

Vampires and aliens and merfolk, love it! Sounds like some fun hybrid babies will be on their way soon :)
  • YautjagirlYautjagirl Posts: 351 Member
    edited June 2021
    @ThePlumbob Thank you for your reply and for liking my sims :heart:
    I will then make a separate tree for her parents and link her. I am glad that I can get to the other tree by clicking on her portrait, I was kinda worried I would have to go and look it up it manually :)
    Every time I try to link my trees, I get a message saying "the exported tree does not exist." I've saved and published both trees. I even deleted all of my trees and did two again from scratch, being careful to save and publish each tree before and after the linking. Still getting that message. I watched the video tutorial but still getting the error.
    Okay, call me dumb. So the problem was that when I would copy the tree and person id's, I would copy the space at the end! That's been the problem all day!
  • ThePlumtreeThePlumtree Posts: 119 Member
    edited June 2021
    Hi all!

As @ThePlumbob has mentioned previously I'm currently a bit stretched for time to add all the features I and the community want for the plum tree. The plum tree is built by just me, a single developer and not an entire team as many seem to believe. However I'm toying with the idea of changing that.

I want to see if there is any interest for volunteers to join me.

The plum tree makes no money (it loses quite a bit instead each month to server costs) so I can't pay anyone.

I'm also only looking for people with at least some skills in the programming language, frameworks and technology the plum tree is built on. This is JavaScript, ReactJS and REST APIs. I don't have the available time to teach all of this to someone new but if you already know some of this I am willing to work and help people up-skill where there might be gaps.

I'm intrigued to see how much interest there would be in people joining me in building the plum tree.

If you are interested feel free to drop me an email info@theplumtreeapp.com, reply in this thread or DM me on the forums.
    cmhREQk.png