Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New Laptop, problem with game launcher

Thanks for reading.

Last laptop blew up. This is 2nd one to go this way but this time nice techie was able to transfer data to EHD.

New laptop ASUS pro i7, 12GB RAM, 2TB HDD and 128 GB SSD, dedicated Nvidia 950m graphics with 2GB memory. It was the best I could afford an it sadly comes with W10 hence no systems diagnostic.

I do not want to play through Origin. Disks loaded in release order and manually patched to 1.67. Correct version of CAW downloaded. Game opens fine, graphic settings adjusted. Origin present but in offline mode, all automatic updates switched off.

Started downloading dlc from store, worked fine yesterday, today launcher welcome page disappeared and am unable to log in via launcher. Resorted to using download file on EHD, some content missing but that could be my fault for not taking clean copy using latest disk. Saved games and saved sims transferred fine.

Have tried help page and cleared browser history. No change in state of launcher.

It has taken me days to get to this stage as everyone knows I am technical luddite.

What have I done wrong?

Can the launcher be fixed or do I need to start again?

Any suggestions anyone?
I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita

Comments

• Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    I think it has to do with cookies on IE

@igazor help with the store Thanks
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited August 2016
    So everything works fine except for no welcome page and the part where you cannot login via the Launcher or (I presume) in-game? Does the Launcher still report Patch 1.67?

If that's all that's gone wrong, no don't reinstall. It usually means either there is a temporary problem on the EA side of things, this happens often, or your Internet Explorer cache and cookies need to be cleared. Even if you never use IE as a browser yourself, the Launcher borrows some of its resources and they can get clogged up.

Clear cache and clear all cookies, and be sure to deselect the offer (usually on top) to keep cookies for "Favorite" sites.
    https://kb.wisc.edu/page.php?id=15141
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    Hello @igazor,

Have already cleared all browser data on Chrome (default) and MS Edge. This is W10 so will do it again. I have not set favourites yet.

When I attempt to download from store game download screen appears and is overlaid by login request. This does not work not matter how many times I put in login details. I was actually logged in as normal on the welcome page before it disappeared. Can log in everywhere else with no problem. Will try login in game tomorrow.

I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.

Sim enim est vita
  • Options
    Not Chrome and Edge. Internet Explorer. Again, even if you never use IE as a browser yourself, the Launcher and the game use it behind the scenes. It doesn't matter what your default browser is (in this case).
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    Hello @igazor

I can report the following.

My laptop does not have IE. It has MS Edge. I have found that W10 tries to force you to use certain features and MS Edge is one of them.

So I have used my pc tuner programme to clear all browser history including cookies from both Chrome and MS Edge.

The game when launched now shows "webpage cannot be displayed" on welcome page.

I cannot log on in game either. Message there says log in and password not recognised.

I am wondering precisely which browser the game is trying to use. I sent the search function to look for IE and it came back with a big zero. I believe I have to download version 11 if I want to use it.

The question is what to do now.

I notice several requests for help where the launcher says "webpage cannot be displayed" but that is for players with version 1.69. There would appear to be no solution offered.

My game is still patched to 1.67.

As I own most of the store I have a great deal of content still missing from the game. As a builder I would like to use what I have paid for.

My thought is this. Remove everything from the computer including Origin and CAW. Load base game and my most recent disk, ITF and patch to 1.67. Download all store content. Save copy of download file to EHD.

Then delete base game and ITF and reinstall everything in release order, manually patching as I go. I accept that I must have Origin but it will remain in off line mode with all automatic updates off.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Sim enim est vita
  • Options
    You no longer need to install eps in order. I am on 1.67 patch . You install the base game, patch to 1.67 and add eps in any order. This goes for the 1.69 patch too.

Did you open your launcher at desktop when you installed and did you get a notice for the store patch? This is separate from the game patch

I just opened my launcher and store pics are showing for me. I don't ever download through my launcher. I download directly off the sims 3 web through my purchase history. It will automatically trigger the launcher to open and download. I also don't download a lot of items at once. This can cause launcher problems

Prior to this when you installed the game were you able to start the game without being logged into origin?
  • Options
    I'm sorry, but we seem to be reaching an impasse here.

All versions of Windows including Win 10 still have Internet Explorer. You may not have the most convenient access to it depending on how things are configured for you, but it is still there and part of the operating system even if the search box is coming up empty. And the Launcher uses IE resources, behind the scenes, not Edge nor your default browser. IE will likely go away some day, but that day is very far away from now due to how many functions still rely on it.
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/open-internet-explorer-in-windows-10

Clearing IE's cache and all cookies as described is what is currently working for most players when they have this problem, except for when EA is having temporary server issues on their end.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    Hello @igazor,

W8 was bad but this takes the biscuit. I am horrified at the amount of data mining going on and have been shutting down as much as I can find. The places where some commands etc are hidden is unbelievable so I accept IE is here. Unfortunately I lack the expertise to find it. and as demonstrated search isn't helping!

I assume using my pc tuner to clear out browser history and cookies will not have touched IE?

Sim enim est vita
  • Options
    Hello @igazor,

W8 was bad but this takes the biscuit. I am horrified at the amount of data mining going on and have been shutting down as much as I can find. The places where some commands etc are hidden is unbelievable so I accept IE is here. Unfortunately I lack the expertise to find it. and as demonstrated search isn't helping!

I assume using my pc tuner to clear out browser history and cookies will not have touched IE?

Not sure. To be perfectly honest, although I have a corporate network of workstations and servers at my fingertips I don't have access to a desktop machine running Win 10. But if IE were absent completely, again a huge number of third party applications and functions would just stop working and we would have heard the cries of despair by now from more than just the gaming arena.

I take it it's not as simple as looking under Windows Accessories, wherever that shows up on the Start Menu? Or opening up a Run box (Windows key + R) and typing iexplore then Run?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    http://www.windowscentral.com/how-find-internet-explorer-windows-10-if-you-really-need-it

Hello @igazor

This link really helped me and may be useful for any other poor luddite struggling with W10. Even using this I was made to download IE 11. Bizarre but true.

It has worked. I followed the first link you provided and it has sorted out my browser. I am now busy downloading and installing.

Thank you very much for your help and usual patience :D

Thank you also @phoebebe13. I did try installing the base game and then going straight to patch 1.67. It did not work for me so I resorted to the old fashioned method which was slow but got the job done. I will also add that I was using my purchase history when things went wrong yesterday. The first sign of trouble was the request to log on which appeared over and blocked the download screen. All sorted now thank goodness.

In slower time I will have to move my games from my c drive. This is my new SSD and the game has eaten up the drive. I understand there is an app to do this which effectively creates system links. I pass this on for anyone who finds themselves in the same situation.

Thanks.

Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • Options
    Glad you got that sorted out. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    Your welcome. Glad you sorted it out