Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Will The Sims 4 Only Have Four Expansions Total?

Comments

• jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    @rudy8292 wrote: »
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    No.

Rachel said they aren't following the normal release schedule and instead will make packs "until it doesn't make sense anymore".

So they will make packs until they run out of ideas, or the ones they come up with no longer make sense for the game and are better off for a new game. So there's plenty of pack ideas that can fit into The Sims 4.

The typical "4-5 year schedule" isn't applying to The Sims 4 according to Rachel.

And seeing as she's head of Maxis now, there's even more weight to her statement.

I lost respect for Rachel. If shes truly in charge of it all shes really nessed up and I believe she owes us all an apology and an explanation

Why did you lose respect for the woman who has started turning The Sims 4 around, once she got in charge.

Your joking right?

Um, did the quality of the Sims 4 not go up when she became head of Maxis, in Sep 2015?
    Pretty sure once Devs were allowed to take their time with the packs, they have been much better. Which only started when she became head of Maxis.

That's all subjective. I for example think; the quality of packs is still plum comparing it to previous games. But again; that's all personal. Some people may think they are getting better, but not me.

Of course. I mean the $20 Resturant set from The Sims 3 store is so much better than Dine Out.
    The previous Stuff Packs with basic remeshes (hardly any new ones) are much better than the new Stuff Packs which have heaps of new meshes and gameplay.

Get Together is probably the only subjective pack, considering if the Clubs appeal to you, then it's a huge deal.
    No.

Rachel said they aren't following the normal release schedule and instead will make packs "until it doesn't make sense anymore".

So they will make packs until they run out of ideas, or the ones they come up with no longer make sense for the game and are better off for a new game. So there's plenty of pack ideas that can fit into The Sims 4.

The typical "4-5 year schedule" isn't applying to The Sims 4 according to Rachel.

And seeing as she's head of Maxis now, there's even more weight to her statement.

I lost respect for Rachel. If shes truly in charge of it all shes really nessed up and I believe she owes us all an apology and an explanation

Why did you lose respect for the woman who has started turning The Sims 4 around, once she got in charge.

Your joking right?

Um, did the quality of the Sims 4 not go up when she became head of Maxis, in Sep 2015?
    Pretty sure once Devs were allowed to take their time with the packs, they have been much better. Which only started when she became head of Maxis.

No it did not. The packs are still very empty and lackluster compared to the other games in the series, they barely have any gameplay just more objects.

Yeah, so empty.

I'm mean Dine Out with its 150+items so so much emptier than the Bistro set from The Sims 3 with its 20 items for the same price.
    The new stuff packs with the same (sometimes more) amount items, plus 1-4 new Gameplay items are so much emptier than the $20 Stuff Packs that mostly reused existing meshes and didn't contain new gameplay (except once or twice).

So so empty. I forgot.
  • Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    edited August 2016
    I guess I see it as what people want. I do like the ideas of the Kids SP and Backyard was okay however it comes down to was that what people really wanted? Did the community get lounge chairs or hammocks or treehouses or swings etc they asked for? Not saying I dont like the SP's I love the chimes and I like the Voidcritters and Puppet Show and I understand they are trying to do something different but it also shows that they arent really listening to us so in the end I guess the quality is determined by the individual. We all arent going to agree on exactly the same thing but I can admit there still no depth in it. And I believe thats because we started with no depth in the base game that EA rushed them to put together and release. However as someone who has taken over and realized that, Why not try to fix that base before pumping out more Stuff thats seems to further bug the game out? Because in the end its ugly colors keep coming up that it was meant to be online. The culling and relationship decay are an example of that.
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • CiarassimsCiarassims Posts: 3,547 Member
    Ciarassims wrote: »
    No.

Your joking right?

That's all subjective. I for example think; the quality of packs is still plum comparing it to previous games. But again; that's all personal. Some people may think they are getting better, but not me.

Of course. I mean the $20 Resturant set from The Sims 3 store is so much better than Dine Out.
    The previous Stuff Packs with basic remeshes (hardly any new ones) are much better than the new Stuff Packs which have heaps of new meshes and gameplay.

Get Together is probably the only subjective pack, considering if the Clubs appeal to you, then it's a huge deal.
    No.

Your joking right?

No it did not. The packs are still very empty and lackluster compared to the other games in the series, they barely have any gameplay just more objects.

Yeah, so empty.

I'm mean Dine Out with its 150+items so so much emptier than the Bistro set from The Sims 3 with its 20 items for the same price.
    The new stuff packs with the same (sometimes more) amount items, plus 1-4 new Gameplay items are so much emptier than the $20 Stuff Packs that mostly reused existing meshes and didn't contain new gameplay (except once or twice).

So so empty. I forgot.

Compare dine out to a the sims 2 stuff pack, your argument is Invalid boo
    Bd32BKXpNqv2E.gif

Oh and also most of them are objects so get it right, i'm all about the gameplay hun.
    giphy_1.gif
    Honestly i'm not defend EA at all for their poor behavior basically ripping us off but if you're okay with that then that's not my problem :)
    giphy_1.gif
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    It does look like there is less focus on large EPs ad more on medium sized GPs yet a lot of players will be happy paying for an EP
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited August 2016
    I guess I see it as what people want. I do like the ideas of the Kids SP and Backyard was okay however it comes down to was that what people really wanted? Did the community get lounge chairs or hammocks or treehouses or swings etc they asked for? Not saying I dont like the SP's I love the chimes and I like the Voidcritters and Puppet Show and I understand they are trying to do something different but it also shows that they arent really listening to us so in the end I guess the quality is determined by the individual. We all arent going to agree on exactly the same thing but I can admit there still no depth in it. And I believe thats because we started with no depth in the base game that EA rushed them to put together and release. However as someone who has taken over and realized that, Why not try to fix that base before pumping out more Stuff thats seems to further bug the game out? Because in the end its ugly colors keep coming up that it was meant to be online. The culling and relationship decay are an example of that.
    I do agree while Sims 4 is not all bad it just lacks depth and it all seem the same, no difference. There are hardly any real good features in this game and may never get them for technical reasons and I hope the Devs can prove me wrong. Whatever packs that are available now the fun is only temporary for me and the path to making the game your own is alluding and not true.

Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • rudy8292rudy8292 Posts: 3,410 Member
    It does look like there is less focus on large EPs ad more on medium sized GPs yet a lot of players will be happy paying for an EP

GP's can be a nice addition to the game, so far I think the GP's aren't that bad overall. What bothers me though are the EP's, they just feel empty and shallow compared to the rest of the EP's we had.

I think they should invest more in EP's, since they are supposed to be the ''main source'' of new interesting gameplay elements. GamePacks really focus on one specific thing, that's why they are very decent. Problem with EP's is that they don't really seem to focus anymore. They try to combine old with new ideas and that's where they are losing their focus and the pack ends up shallow on every level.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    I am only speculacting, the reason EPs are slow on the outtake may be due to the technical dimensions of Sims 4 and they do not want to put any stress on systems that can't handle the processing and the game also do not scale up or down so the game is made to fit one size and if you own a powerful system it would not matter so much Imho.

Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
    @rudy8292 Im hoping thats why they're taking they're time with the next EP. Im hoping its because they are putting feeling into it. Depth. If thays the case I can understand the hush hushness of it all. But I think I'll be hesitant to buy it right away like I've dont everything else. I'll wait for the reviews and kinks to work out before I pull money out my pocket quickly this time.

@Goldmoldar Thats why Ive gone back to TS3 for the unteenth time. I play 4 get a little bit further in the Story Ive created and then I get bored and go to 3. And with 3 I find myself having no problem playing gor hours and hours and losing track of time. I want thay so bad for 4. I really do:(
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    edited August 2016
    No.

Your joking right?

No.

Your joking right?

Yeah, so empty.

So so empty. I forgot.

Bd32BKXpNqv2E.gif

How? :joy:
    No.

Your joking right?

No.

Your joking right?

Yeah, so empty.

So so empty. I forgot.

Bd32BKXpNqv2E.gif

Oh and also most of them are objects so get it right, i'm all about the gameplay hun.

If you're stating The Sims 2 stuff packs had more gameplay than Dine Out, I'm officially not bothering.
    rudy8292 wrote: »
    No.

Your joking right?

No.

Your joking right?

Yeah, so empty.

So so empty. I forgot.

It's still subjective. One ''nice'' pack doesn't make the game better all of the sudden. Besides that, I still think TS2 tops TS4 by a huge amount. It has detail, something TS4 has not. It are the small details that matter.

And it's all a matter of taste anyway. If I compare TS4 to all previous iterations, to me it falls completely flat.

Why do we need a restaurant GamePack anyway? Why do we need Gamepacks anyway? They better make complete EP's instead of the shallow ones we had so far. What does GT have to offer besides clubs? What does it do for your game? You can create a club, then what? go to a venue and dance? what more gameplay does it have to offer really?

I must be missing a lot of the gameplay that pack has I guess..

Not to mention the plum bugs every single pack introduces they never seem to really fix.

Like GTW; sims in my stores always crowd up at the same shelf in my store instead of spreading out.
    With Dine Out my sims are always standing up randomly to talk to strangers when sitting in a restaurant, they don't sit down and wait, no they start running around being social with strangers...

yeah it's a lot better.

I would say the last 7 packs have been nice, not just Get Together.
    They all have better value for money and are executed really well.

Liking a pack is all about taste, getting a set amount of content for you're money, is not though. Getting sold a set with 20 items vs a same theme and idea with 150+ items and better gameplay, is value for money. If we are talking about emptiness.

Honestly i'm not defend EA at all for their poor behavior basically ripping us off but if you're okay with that then that's not my problem :)

How ironic.

You're literally defending the fact they sold you much less, for much more money.
    You're literally doing what you're saying you aren't.

:joy::joy::joy:

You're saying a Sims 2 stuff pack (that has 40 - 60 items for $20) is better value than a GamePack that has 150 - 200 items, with more gameplay.
    You're saying a $20 store set with the bare minimum gameplay and like 20 items, is better value than a GamePack of the same theme, that has 150+ items and more gameplay.

I'm saying it's better we are getting more content, and you're defending EA by saying you're happy to pay much more for less because you love the game more.

So if you love the game, you don't mind EA selling you less while charging you more. Do you hear that EA? It's your favourite customer.
    @jackjack_k Not bothering because im right yeah and don't try to degrade me it's plain rude, And the sims 2 had more gameplay it doesn't matter if it has less items your being ridiculous you'd rather has a load of items but no gameplay? It's people like you who make ea think its alright to behave in this way.
    giphy_1.gif
    i'm not even gonna try to be honest it's like try to talk to a brick wall and i'm not tolerating being spoken to in that manner, so have a good day :smile:
    giphy_1.gif
  • ravamaileravamaile Posts: 168 Member
    What kind of depth Dine Out has? We cannot hire our own sims (we can by deleting townies, but cannot play with them anymore), objects are just decorative (those signs - detached ones and combined ones, the same objects). I was so disappointed by this pack, too bad that it is impossible to return DLCs in Origin.

So, the sims 5 will be a mobile game. The sims 5 freeplay (like sims freeplay, just even more simple). Complexity is their enemy, do not forget it
    If people were not interested in what we were making we wouldn't continue what we are making. Our data shows us differently. (c) - @SimGuruDrake (LINK)
    Complexity is our enemy when building The Sims, so we look for any opportunity to keep it down. (c) - @SimGuruMax (LINK)
    @jackjack_k. Better were getting more content for what? A base game that was messed up? More content doesnt make a better game. Ts2 may have had less content comparably to Ts4 but the game play was amazing! There were many features that made the game really yours. I am a family player and love family play in ts2 and ts3. Ts4 lost that to me. I find myself trying to tell every sims individual story but they all end up being too much of the same.
  • BristolkatBristolkat Posts: 43 Member
    I don't blame Rachel. she and the rest of the team are attempting to make the best out of a bad situation. None of them want a failed title on their resumes. The truth is the sims 4 was a doomed title as soon as they decided to Switch from online to single player halfway through the creation process. They should have started from scratch rather then keep the same game engine, which is severely limiting the game.

That's why they keep giving us "stuff" and objects with "new interactions" Instead of EXP-Packs.
    the game is already coming apart at the seams that why they keep adding "improvements" Like Culling. I bet it will last its full 5 year run, but just barely. We will see Lots of stuff and game packs but less expansion packs overall.

I am fairly certain we wont have pets, unless they objects. we will probably get toddlers and weather though.
    Bristolkat wrote: »
    I don't blame Rachel. she and the rest of the team are attempting to make the best out of a bad situation. None of them want a failed title on their resumes. The truth is the sims 4 was a doomed title as soon as they decided to Switch from online to single player halfway through the creation process. They should have started from scratch rather then keep the same game engine, which is severely limiting the game.

That's why they keep giving us "stuff" and objects with "new interactions" Instead of EXP-Packs.
    the game is already coming apart at the seams that why they keep adding "improvements" Like Culling. I bet it will last its full 5 year run, but just barely. We will see Lots of stuff and game packs but less expansion packs overall.

I am fairly certain we wont have pets, unless they objects. we will probably get toddlers and weather though.

THIS!
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Why do we need a restaurant GamePack anyway?

Maybe because Simmers asked for proper restaurants for years?? My Sims can't go out to restaurants or run them if there aren't restaurants to go out to or run. I don't understand the question. Why do we "need" any particular gameplay? We want it. This was wanted, by many people, for a long time.
    Why do we need Gamepacks anyway?

For... more gameplay? Is this a trick question? Do you think they should have squashed restaurants into GTW with other features and just not done them as well? Made a $60 EP instead of a $40 one? Not made them at all, even though they were long requested? Only made them as a couple of gameplay objects in a Stuff Pack? We don't "need" Game Packs any more than we "need" Stuff Packs or Expansion Packs; they're just a new format that add-ons come in, not a conspiracy to deprive you of gameplay. Honestly, if we'd had Game Packs all along, this discussion wouldn't be happening - you'd have taken them for granted the way you do EPs, and would have seen them as just as basic an add-on format.

Maybe we actually needed them earlier. Generations, for one, might have been a less lame add-on if they could have sold it as a GP instead of passing it off as having EP-quantity/quality content. Late Night's vampires might have been decent if they weren't squeezed into an EP but were given more development budget in a GP.
    They better make complete EP's instead of the shallow ones we had so far. What does GT have to offer besides clubs? What does it do for your game? You can create a club, then what? go to a venue and dance? what more gameplay does it have to offer really?

I take it you don't read the "what clubs have you made" threads in the GT forum, because you're really missing on the possibilities there. Among my clubs:
    - Children's playground clubs that are composed of same-World children in their local park, who are not permitted to play chess (so the chess tables aren't full of kids, and the kids aren't wandering as far from home)
    - a Cops club and a Criminals club that hang out at the same bar; sometimes they grudgingly leave each other alone - sometimes they goad each other into fights
    - a club made up a child's friends, in which I can change encouraged activities on the fly so they act like kids who've come over to hang out together even while I'm more focused on their older brother
    - an Aliens club, partly so they know each other, partly so they'll have private hangouts, club gear to ID each other in public, etc.
    - a Yoga and Meditation club that meets in public park
    - a gang of teenage boys who aren't supposed to be doing romance stuff while they're hanging out together... but now two of them are dating each other on the quiet (I haven't played them in a club meeting yet since that started, mostly because I've been playing the girl who's dating the gang leader)
    - clubs that exist for background interest, so they'll be more likely to be there, doing certain things in venues, like sports fans in different bars, in appropriate clothing for going out to watch a game together ... a children's library club for some of my nerdier kids ... a club of painters who use easels I've added to the Von Haunts' mansion (one of whom is also in a certain teen boys' gang) ... a club of comedians who practice at the comedy club bar ... a club of elderly gardening fans who hang out in a particular garden, even though there's not a lot of gardening to do and they mostly are going to gossip anyway ... a club of film snobs who meet at the Cinema Café (and yes, they watch movies there, not just do café-venue-directed things) ... a club of business owners who drink a lot of coffee at another café ... a club of teenage girls (and one guy) who like to hang out at the shops ... a club of Boy Scouts who fish etc. in parks ... a club of geeks who dress up in costumes and play games at the gaming café (two clubs, actually: they have a teen chapter that one of my favorite played Sims belongs to) ...
    - various clubs of coworkers for on-the-fly work-based social gatherings
    - a club of neighbouring couples in one neighbourhood who have barbecues in the local parkette and who hang out hot tubbing and drinking in one of the couples' backyard (it's all the couples in that neighbourhood except those weird hippies at the end of the street)
    - a high-school girls' swim team (this is one of my heavily played clubs, as one of my teen girls is on it)
    - a club of teen girls who dress in bright colors and go to parks to hug people - which is fun when they end up in the same park as the gang of teen boys who aren't supposed to be being nice to people or their leader will get upset with them

Other players use clubs for extended family events, sleepovers, apartment simulation, servant groups (I did, for a while, have a club who cleaned up cafés), etc. It's a hugely powerful system for influencing both Sims your Sim is doing things with and creating a backdrop in the world so that it's not only venue defaults that determine what other Sims do in that world.

IMO, best EP that Maxis ever made. Ever.

EDIT: Wow. People said a lot of stuff while I was writing that.
    Re. noninteractive objects: those are important to a lot of players. They're how we differentiate one lot from another, express a homeowner's personality, make one restaurant feel like a different experience from another (which we can also do with the enormously customizable menus and uniforms - a particular kind of depth that's new to restaurants in this game).

That's why they could do in depth EP's in TS2 without gamepacks.. I see that argument all the time; ''yeah EP's will be more expensive then'' what a nonsense. They were able to make good EPs in the past, but with TS4 the EP's are shallow and lackluster.

And the club ideas you mentioned are all imagination based. That's not new gameplay, thats imagination. And a pack should not only run with imagination, it should offer enough new gameplay to make the game more exciting.. What else besides the club idea does the pack have to offer when it comes to new gameplay again? A DJ booth? come on really.

No, those clubs actually do the things they are told to. I don't just sit there pretending they do them. It's very much real gameplay. I'm not sure where you have the idea from that we're just pretending they do?

If you mean they do those things because I came up with the ideas for what they do, please realize that all I'm doing is creating clubs that the system enables. This is no different from creating a Sim that the system enables, or a building that the system enables. It's a tool for creating activity patterns, just like CAS is a tool for creating Sims and build/buy is a tool for creating lots.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    They better make complete EP's instead of the shallow ones we had so far. What does GT have to offer besides clubs? What does it do for your game? You can create a club, then what? go to a venue and dance? what more gameplay does it have to offer really?

I take it you don't read the "what clubs have you made" threads in the GT forum, because you're really missing on the possibilities there. [Clipped]
    Other players use clubs for extended family events, sleepovers, apartment simulation, servant groups (I did, for a while, have a club who cleaned up cafés), etc. It's a hugely powerful system for influencing both Sims your Sim is doing things with and creating a backdrop in the world so that it's not only venue defaults that determine what other Sims do in that world.

IMO, best EP that Maxis ever made. Ever.

I am not the happiest with TS4 and the way it is unfolding, but I have to admit that Get Together did a lot for my game.
    It has resulted in emergent game play from creative use. My comedy areas were dead. Now I have a group of dedicated comedians improving their craft that my sims can drop in on for a good laugh. They also happen to take food from the buffet tables over to the comdey area for dinner and a show.

I pair my sims up in private dating clubs, so I can see them out on the town on a date when I am not playing them. This also helps to keep their relationships strong.

I created a reality show and use the group behaviors as rules to drive it.
    I believe Get Together will pay more dividends as we get more game packs and expansion packs.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds