Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Will The Sims 4 Only Have Four Expansions Total?

Le0nard1963Le0nard1963 Posts: 264 Member
Today one player wrote very intersting theory here http://ts4news.com/ about expansions. And I note this theory has a right to exist because all the sims series lasted for four-five years. The Sims 4 is two years now and we have only 2 expansions! And i think maybe this is truth that the game packs and stuff packs and free patches make up for the lack of expansions? Remember that we have never had game packs and so frequent stuff packs in neither the sims 2 nor in the sims3! But we had stable expansions. What do you think, simmers?
Post edited by Le0nard1963 on

Comments

• Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    edited August 2016
    No.

Rachel said they aren't following the normal release schedule and instead will make packs "until it doesn't make sense anymore".

So they will make packs until they run out of ideas, or the ones they come up with no longer make sense for the game and are better off for a new game. So there's plenty of pack ideas that can fit into The Sims 4.

The typical "4-5 year schedule" isn't applying to The Sims 4 according to Rachel.

And seeing as she's head of Maxis now, there's even more weight to her statement.
  • Options
    AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    Today i wrote very intersting theory here http://ts4news.com/ about expansions. And I note this theory has a right to exist because all the sims series lasted for four-five years. The Sims 4 is two years now and we have only 2 expansions! And i think maybe this is truth that the game packs and stuff packs and free patches make up for the lack of expansions? Remember that we have never had game packs and so frequent stuff packs in neither the sims 2 nor in the sims3! But we had stable expansions. What do you think, simmers?

It could be, maybe 4 or 5. It seems like is not that easy to expand properly with this game core and Game Packs and Stuff Packs are more suitable for this iteration.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • Options
    Simfan923Simfan923 Posts: 5,551 Member
    I don't think we'll just get four EPs but I do think that we'll get fewer EPs compared to previous iterations of the franchise. The reason I say this is that GPs are basically mini-EPs, just with a central focused theme. So the way I see it is that we'll probably get more GPs than we do EPs.
    1FKDfKj.png
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    Today i wrote very intersting theory here http://ts4news.com/ about expansions. And I note this theory has a right to exist because all the sims series lasted for four-five years. The Sims 4 is two years now and we have only 2 expansions! And i think maybe this is truth that the game packs and stuff packs and free patches make up for the lack of expansions? Remember that we have never had game packs and so frequent stuff packs in neither the sims 2 nor in the sims3! But we had stable expansions. What do you think, simmers?

Game and Stuffpacks are just the store for TS4.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    edited August 2016
    Sc3niX wrote: »
    I think its rather alarming that they haven't released one expansion this year. Perhaps they're pulling the plug and working on a brand new game o:)

No SimGuruDrake said expansions are still a thing meaning we will see more.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member

Probably around four EP's in total if we get one a year.

And no, GP's and SP's don't make up for EP's especially if we only get mainly one feature per pack like GT.

Honestly I'm very doubtful Seasons and Pets are going to happen in this iteration, and breaking them down to GP's wouldn't work because then even less features in total would you get. Imagine, they take about the same amount of time to do/release a GP as an EP, we got 3 GP's in about two years, more 2 years could mean more 3. If they break down Pets or Seasons then Dogs on a GP Cats another (or two seasons each GP if they break Seasons) only leaves space for one more GP to be whatever they choose.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    shellbemeshellbeme Posts: 2,086 Member
    I really am kind of hoping they go for longer than the standard 5 year life span.
  • Options
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    No.

Rachel said they aren't following the normal release schedule and instead will make packs "until it doesn't make sense anymore".

So they will make packs until they run out of ideas, or the ones they come up with no longer make sense for the game and are better off for a new game. So there's plenty of pack ideas that can fit into The Sims 4.

The typical "4-5 year schedule" isn't applying to The Sims 4 according to Rachel.

And seeing as she's head of Maxis now, there's even more weight to her statement.

I seriously don't trust anything Rachel says. Is all pure marketing and she will say whatever she thinks is appropriate at any given time.

Considering she's the head of Maxis now, who gets to decide if they work on another game or not, I'm sure she'd make the Sims 4 have a full life or even more so.

She wouldn't want a SimCity 2013 to her name, where support was cut off early.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Things has changed for the Sims series and I do not put much faith in what EA/Maxis puts out after SimCity. Sims 4 may last 4 and it may last 8, only EA/Maxis knows, anything said by others is mere speculation if not said by the dev. The way packs are produced and I will speculate here is because of the nature of Sims 4 and how it came about.

Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    No.

I lost respect for Rachel. If shes truly in charge of it all shes really nessed up and I believe she owes us all an apology and an explanation

Why did you lose respect for the woman who has started turning The Sims 4 around, once she got in charge.

Everyone on the forum points the finger at Rachel without doing their research.
    When she worked on The Sims 4, EA told them to make an online game. EA's CEO even said they wouldn't green light a new game unless it was online.
    So EA forced them to make an online game, and then when SimCity 2013 flopped, EA then let them make a normal Sims game. But only gave them a year and a bit to do it.

None of this was Rachel's fault. As Executive Producer, it's her job to make sure that the developers make a game the publisher and development company (Maxis) are happy with.
    It was not her decision to make an online game, nor her decision to then use scraps to make it offline. It was her job to make the best out of a crappy situation.

The first 12 months of The Sims 4 were a hot mess. The base game was missing stuff on launch (missing as in came later in a patch, not missing because it was in the previous game).
    Get To Work was a mess, the first 3 stuff packs weren't that great. The only good two things were Spa Day and Outdoor Retreat.

As soon as Rachel became in charge of Maxis, she's let them delay Get Together, she let the, take their time with Stuff Packs so they can be good, and she's let developers take their time with packs rather than shove them out the door to make $.

She wasn't in charge before, she was the middle man. She was between EA and the Devs. She had to make sure EA was happy, and she had to make sure Devs did their best.
    While selling it to the public.

She didn't make the decisions of what The Sims 4 was.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    @Sc3niX wrote: »
    Sc3niX wrote: »
    I think its rather alarming that they haven't released one expansion this year. Perhaps they're pulling the plug and working on a brand new game o:)

No SimGuruDrake said expansions are still a thing meaning we will see more.

They say a lot of things. Some of them come true, some of them don't.

You honestly think we'll get 4 Expansions in total? Like come on now.
    When Late Night dropped in September, and you didn't get Generations until May the following year, did everyone assume The Sims 3 had packed up shop and EP's were slowing down because you went over 6 months without a new EP?

Or was everyone realistic and realize that some EP's take longer than others (especially the ones with lots of new Sim animations).

I'm sure it was the second option.
  • Options
    Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    No.

I lost respect for Rachel. If shes truly in charge of it all shes really nessed up and I believe she owes us all an apology and an explanation

Why did you lose respect for the woman who has started turning The Sims 4 around, once she got in charge.

Everyone on the forum points the finger at Rachel without doing their research.
    When she worked on The Sims 4, EA told them to make an online game. EA's CEO even said they wouldn't green light a new game unless it was online.
    So EA forced them to make an online game, and then when SimCity 2013 flopped, EA then let them make a normal Sims game. But only gave them a year and a bit to do it.

None of this was Rachel's fault. As Executive Producer, it's her job to make sure that the developers make a game the publisher and development company (Maxis) are happy with.
    It was not her decision to make an online game, nor her decision to then use scraps to make it offline. It was her job to make the best out of a plum situation.

The first 12 months of The Sims 4 were a hot mess. The base game was missing stuff on launch (missing as in came later in a patch, not missing because it was in the previous game).
    Get To Work was a mess, the first 3 stuff packs weren't that great. The only good two things were Spa Day and Outdoor Retreat.

As soon as Rachel became in charge of Maxis, she's let them delay Get Together, she let the, take their time with Stuff Packs so they can be good, and she's let developers take their time with packs rather than shove them out the door to make $.

She wasn't in charge before, she was the middle man. She was between EA and the Devs. She had to make sure EA was happy, and she had to make sure Devs did their best.
    While selling it to the public.

She didn't make the decisions of what The Sims 4 was.

You make a great point and I take back what I said. Its EA that owes us an apology. I shouldnt shoot the messenger. It comes down to the top dog here. And thats EA. Youre absolutely right.
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    No.

Your joking right?

Um, did the quality of the Sims 4 not go up when she became head of Maxis, in Sep 2015?
    Pretty sure once Devs were allowed to take their time with the packs, they have been much better. Which only started when she became head of Maxis.

But it's so much easier to point a finger and not do research right?
    That would be too hard, and pointing a finger is so much easier.
    As expected.
  • Options
    CiarassimsCiarassims Posts: 3,547 Member
    And explain to me where this quality is?
    giphy_1.gif