Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Best work tone for Schmoozer?

I have a sim with the Schmoozer trait in the culinary career. One of the job requirements is relationship to the boss. For my sim's first day at work I chose the "Suck up to boss" tone. His relationship with her is now maxed. My question: is "Suck up to boss" going to give better job performance (or the same) than "Business as usual"? Is there any advantage for Schmoozer sims to use this tone regularly?

Comments

• LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    I know when a sim has a very good relationship with the boss, it is really easy to ask for a raise and promotions, and to get those request. Other than that, I hadn't given it much thought, mostly because (before I added the NRaas Mods) it was super easy to get promoted.
  • GoulsquashGoulsquash Posts: 715 Member
    I believe other than the boost you get in performance for having the positive relationship, that it's on the same level as business as usual. Schmoozer works best outside of work, with asking for raises and promotions.
    My Blog - Currently updating Aurora Skies!
  • TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    I think NRaas Careers automatically chooses "Suck up to boss" for Schmoozers (and "Work hard" for Workaholics). So that's why I'm wondering if that's a good default. It took him about half of a work day to maximize the relationship to his boss from where it was initially, which impressed me.

I rarely do the rabbit hole jobs, and this is the first time I've done one with the Schmoozer trait. I didn't know he could ask for a raise or promotion outside of work. I'll have to invite his boss over soon. :)
  • cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    Is there any advantage to "business as usual" ? I usually chose "suck up to boss" or the equivalent for every sim in the beginning until their relationship is maxed. Then I chose "meet co-workers" or equivalent until I've met one, then "hang with co-worker". Then next day meet co-workers again and then hang, and repeat until all co-workers are met.
    cwaddell wrote: »
    Is there any advantage to "business as usual" ? I usually chose "suck up to boss" or the equivalent for every sim in the beginning until their relationship is maxed. Then I chose "meet co-workers" or equivalent until I've met one, then "hang with co-worker". Then next day meet co-workers again and then hang, and repeat until all co-workers are met.

Depends on how much "business as usual" contributes to job performance vs. the other tones. "Work hard" is clearly better at the expense of fun (except for Workaholics), but I don't know how "business as usual" compares to the others. Well, it's probably better than the various "goof off" tones, of course.

I was concerned there was a trade-off of job performance in favor of increased relationship for "suck up to boss" like there is with the "work hard" tone and the fun motive. And if so, whether any trade-off is compensated by the Schmoozer trait, again, like Workaholic compensates for the "work hard" impact on fun.

I generally don't bother with either the boss or co-worker tones unless those relationships are necessary for the job. For culinary they are (and he's already best friends with his co-workers). My other sim is in military and co-worker relationship are not required.
  • KevinL5275KevinL5275 Posts: 2,489 Member
    Once the boss's relationship is maxed, I would go for co-workers' relationship.
    I'm a 48 year old married man, with a beautiful wife, a cat, and a simverted personality.My Sims 3 Pictures
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Once you have maxed relationship with your boss, sucking up does not improve career gain any more than "Business as Usual". It will help offset relationship decay if you do not socialize at all with the boss outside work, but otherwise does no more for you. I generally pick up "Professional Slacker" on Sims whose careers do not greatly depend on co-worker relationship, and "Office Hero" for those that do. Both are cheap LTRs. Professional Slacker makes "Goof Off" options as effective as "Business As Usual" with the side benefit of increasing rather than depleting the fun motive.
    Thanks, @Sindocat . :) My sim has completed the Super Friendly charisma challenge, so I don't have to worry about relationship decay. I think I gave him Office Hero already. I haven't used Professional Slacker before, but it's good to know what that does. If "Suck up to boss" is as good as "Business as usual" then I'll just have him do that since the NRaas Career Tones mod chooses that tone as default for him.

As long as there is no downside then that will work for me.
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    The flavor text for the mode suggests that it annoys other co-workers and can diminish relationship with them, but I have never observed this in practice. I go for "Goof Off" once I have Professional Slacker and have met other job criteria simply because better mood does mean faster gain. But you probably aren't losing anything picking "Suck Up to Boss" over "Business as Usual".
  • K_MollyK_Molly Posts: 39 Member
    I don't think "Business as Usual" gives any advantages to career performance, I think it is the standard default work effort a sim will put into their jobs. I like to pick "Business as Usual" if my sim's Fun meter is low.