Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

To whim or not to whim... that is the question?

I can't be the only one who completely ignores whims in the game? Half the time I even forget they are there.

I think it has allot to do with the fact I play challenges nearly all the time.

So my question is, how close attention do you pay to whims? Is there anyone out there that tries to complete all the whims that pop up? am i missing out XD?
tumblr_ox7j4tmNjd1wqkiw6o1_1280.png
//Sims Tumblr Here-MoonPhase Simblr//Berry Sims Here- MoonBerry Sims//
Let me make you a cute forum avatar [Closed right noww!! will re-open closer to cats and dogs!] //

Comments

• NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    I'm like you, I ignore them completely. Sometimes I fulfill them by accident, but that's pretty much all I do with them. I much more prefer the Wants systeme of TS2 because there were bigger wants I would lock to plan my story ahead.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I occasionally do them, but I've found most of the time they can be quite repeatitive. My family sim always wants to buy a toy, she always wants to marry her husband. Because I played challenges it was easier to ignore it.
  • YungGigiYungGigi Posts: 1,083 Member
    Forgot they even existed
  • joleacojoleaco Posts: 2,250 Member
    I am also like you, usually forget they are even there.
    YmWXbP5.jpg?1
  • StilleWaterStilleWater Posts: 1,566 Member
    I try to do all that pertain to the situation. But they are very repetitive and so many are so redundant, like sims that ate already married wanting to get married, or get engaged. Sims that are in the red wanting to go out. I never play challenges except my own challenges and sometimes that is to have all the traits. They come home from work or school so unhappy and everything you do won't change that so I buy elixirs, and you gotta have points to do that. One sim has 45,000 points and I keep buying stuff for the sims that don't have enough.
    7FXGVZ1.jpg?1
  • SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    I used to pay attention to them but they are too boring. Aspirations are boring too. I pay attention only if I want points now or if I want to figure out how they works.
  • EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited August 2016
    I pay more attention to them when I need the points for something. I skip though ones that require going off lot, unless it's something I plan to do anyway (like heading to the gym for a Milestone). I usually pin or do ones like talking to household members because they'll happen at some point any way. I do ones that are useful if currently needed, like cooking meals if the fridge is bare/nearly bare.

I noticed the romance ones have got more sim specific with sims you are close too, friendly Whims too. Romantic sims do sometimes get generic ones, but I guess that's in their nature.

They are frustratingly repetitive in some aspects though. I don't need more than one puppet theatre, the kids already have all the different types of toys, I don't need to buy a stove while I'm inspired at the museum... And I don't need to go steady/get engaged/marry my boyfriend/fiancé/husband.
  • hannaaj22hannaaj22 Posts: 685 Member
    I usually forget they are there too. I used to love the wishes in TS3 as they actually seemed relevant to their lives.
    Leon Family Tree
    Origin ID: hannaaj22
  • AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    EmmaVane wrote: »
    They are frustratingly repetitive in some aspects though. I don't need more than one puppet theatre, the kids already have all the different types of toys, I don't need to buy a stove while I'm inspired at the museum... And I don't need to go steady/get engaged/marry my boyfriend/fiancé/husband.

This. That's why I don't pay much attention to them.
    Also, it doesn't make sense that my loner sim has the same social whims as my outgoing sim, and so on.
    They feel so impersonal and fixed that if I'd pay more attention to them it'd take my immersion away.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • PlumDiddyPlumDiddy Posts: 551 Member
    Sometimes i fulfill them if its easy social things. but most times I just ignore them because every sim gets the same whims over and over. Buy a pool. Buy a hot tub. Buy a toy. Get to know a family member whose 3traits you already know. Read a book at the library because youre focused but why bother when youll probably be tense or bored by the time you get there. The whim system is very shallow and can become rather dull rather quickly.
  • LenaDieters11LenaDieters11 Posts: 1,346 Member
    I do care about aspirations, as I make them part of my story, but the whims....they seem useless to me and I forget about them. I miss the Sims 2 system. I did not care about them too much in Sims 3 either
  • GrynnGrynn Posts: 260 Member
    edited August 2016
    When I played The Sims 3 I promised the big stuff and completely ignored the lesser non-interesting wishes that were like "Cook a meal".

It's like The Sims 4 only have the lesser wishes.

Truth be told, I didn't like the wishes in The Sims 3 either, and whims are basically watered down wishes so I like then even less, I love the Want/Fear system, I really don't get why it never came back.
  • UmbralFlowerUmbralFlower Posts: 4,494 Member
    The only time I fulfill whims is when they're relationship whims. Those whims tell me who the sim wants to be friends with, and who they want to be with.
    ~*-*-*~ My SimLit: The Echoed Fragments || A Tale of Love and Fame ~*-*-*~
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I rarely pay attention to them, often forgetting about them completely. If I happen to look at them and am doing something along the lines of what has popped up I might steer my sim to do it for a few extra reward points. I might even x out whats there while I'm aware of them at that time to see what comes up instead. I'm usually too involved in my story or having my sims do what I want them to do to think about them though.
    egTcBMc.png
  • ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member
    No less than I did their wishes in TS3, of which their was more or less even chances I'd take them or ignore. I x out things like buy a pool. I also ignore their emotional whims.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Grynn wrote: »
    When I played The Sims 3 I promised the big stuff and completely ignored the lesser non-interesting wishes that were like "Cook a meal".

It's like The Sims 4 only have the lesser wishes.

Truth be told, I didn't like the wishes in The Sims 3 either, and whims are basically watered down wishes so I like then even less, I love the Want/Fear system, I really don't get why it never came back.

I agree, it's the one thing I would have liked in the sims 3 and it would help make everything better in 4!
  • JackOnYourBackJackOnYourBack Posts: 1,261 Member
    I'm a huge want/ wish/ whims kind a player. I got really into it with TS3 and I'm having a hard time not playing according to what the sims whims are. As of now, I have to agree that whims are a bit lacking. The obvious reason being the difference in released content so far, we can only get so much related to base game or the packs we have now. The other "issue" is emotions. Like us all sims have the same emotions at one point which makes them have the exact same whims, regardless of that sims skills, traits or "situation" (family, job, house etc).

I got super bored with the whims but have however seen an improvement. I posted a thread regarding whims a few months back and have since then seen some slight difference in whims. I don't know if this was intentional or not but I like it regardless.

I have more sim specific whims now instead of only (mostly) generic ones like Ask to go Steady or Talk to someone etc. Obviously I still get random whims when a sim is in a specific emotion that has nothing to do with anything in their life, but that is to be expected. It's better to have more than less and something being too specific can be a pain as well. I have faith. I think TS4 has some really good points (CAS and build mode being the obvious ones) and I'm sure when we get more content whims will be more fun to play with.

As of now I'm still a whim player (most of my sims have 1000s of reward points) even if it can get a little repetitive at times. :smiley:

Happy simming!
    Gallery ID: JackOnYourBack
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,547 Member
    Whims? What are those? Lol. I totally ignore them, though they may get fulfilled by accident.

I also totally ignore the aspirations. Stuff like that, to me, is too much like someone else telling me how to play my game. If you like that kind of thing, then fair enough, but I prefer to just do my own thing. I never bother with getting rewards from aspiration points anyway, it feels like cheating so I just play my game without.
  • AmaraStormAmaraStorm Posts: 80 Member
    My sims constantly want to marry each other and I wish the stupid AI would realize that they are already married..... I can't have two weddings. Sheesh.

I try to pay attention to them, but then I get the one where they want to play horseshoes. Okay. Go play horseshoes. Plays for 2 hours. Whim never completes. I particularly hate the ones tied to moods. By the time they get around to completing them, they are back to happy or whatever other emotion the room projects and the whim has already passed.

So, I end up mainly ignoring them unless it's something they are right next too or I'm planning on having them do anyway.

• MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    It's my whim to ignore whim

At this point I've created my own aspirations and whims for my Sims.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    I wish they create new and better whims and include it in a future patch.
    a256aFi.gif
  • LosaruTaiyoLosaruTaiyo Posts: 10,807 Member
    Most of the time I don't do too much with them, but sometimes I cycle through to see what my sim wants to do and it sometimes dictates where I take the story. For example, my sim Sakura and his boyfriend, Peter went to the resort I made as Sakura, in the story, had never woohooed before. After some time there and as they didn't seem in the mood to do it autonomously, I cycled through his and his boyfriend's whims. Peter wanted to just woohoo, Sakura wanted to do it in a hottub. So now you can guess where Sakura woohooed for the first time. :D And hey, if set, you get extra points for traits and potions so why not?
    D6PfW.jpg?1322673184

I have no memory of this place. Time to start anew I guess
  • simmey1simmey1 Posts: 580 Member
    I rarely pay any attention to them. Honestly I usually forget they are even there.
  • pinkishpinkish Posts: 693 Member
    I also forget they are even there, same with the aspirations, the whims serve no purpose and the only aspiration I use is the Fabulously Wealthy. It takes care of itself as I play and earn money, I only use it to purchase Steel Bladder.