Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How Long do Your Sims Live for?

Some people want to make it last and play out for longer, others like to just play a generation quick and get through it. So how long do you play your sims' lives for?
I do like to play for long, but I also try to match their lifespan as closely as I can with real life expectancy. And I do so by using season length.

I have every season set to 5 sim days, so a sim year is 20 sim days. So I have each age set like this

Infant: 40 Sim days (Birth to 2 yrs)
Toddler: 60 Sim days (3-5 yrs)
Child: 80 Sim days (6-9 yrs)
Teenager: 120 Sim days (10-15 yrs)
Y Adult : 440 Sim days (16-38 yrs)
Adult: 440 Sim days (39-60 yrs)
[Adult: 880 Sim days (16-60 yrs)
Elder: 360 Sim days (60-78 yrs)

I wanted to get life expectancy up to over 80 but I figured I wouldn't be playing many elders all the way through, besides I wanted seasons longer than 3 days at least so I compromised....

Comments

• Options
    TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    I like longer seasons. I usually set seasons to 10 days each, but occasionally adjust to the the world I'm playing. For university though, I set a 14 day season since I normally send sims for 2 week terms.

My main sims, who I focus on playing, live for as long as I play that save. I rarely play generations. Their kids, however, usually have:

baby - 3 days
    toddler - 7 days but I'll age up as soon as they've learned all 3 skills and read all 9 books
    child - 14 days
    teen - 21 days

YA and A are usually maxed at whatever age zone I'm playing in, so for Long both are at 90 days each. Elders really depend on the world. In small worlds they have only a few days, in larger worlds I might set them at 28.
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    For challenges I have it set to normal lifespan.
    My main save is set to... Baby 2 • Toddler 25 • Child - Teen 50 • YA - Adult 150 • Elder 100

I can get bored if it's set too long and sad if it's set too short. I'm constantly trying to find a balance. I play challenges so much now because I don't let myself get attached and the game moves along fast. Besides i'm focusing on exploring more of the game and that's my simming goal right now so fast paced challenges are a good fit for me.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I've got 15 days for each season which is a 60 day year.
    I have 30 day pregnancies for sims which is more realistic than the EA standard of three days.
    These are based on my historical legacies and not numbers supported with aging sliders if setting them up in the game.
    Babies-60 days=1year.up to first birthday.
    toddlers-120 days=2years.up to 3year old.
    children-360 days=6years.3-9year olds.
    teens-180 days=3years.9-12 year olds.
    young adults=540 days=9years or more.12+ year olds
    adults=1040 days=18+ years.21+ years old.
    Elders=540 days=ap.9 years.can start as early as 36 years old.
    My sims can last 2880 days or more.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    KartaiKartai Posts: 1,206 Member
    For the couple I love to play I make a Vampire and give them that Immortal to make them Immortal like and give them that age freeze potion to the human that sometime how I like to play.

For the normal couples who I don't do that to I set them on normal and let them age.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    I play with aging off so my Sims don't actually die...
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    cocococo Posts: 2,726 Member
    I've always played on normal length. I love my sims but I like looking forward to them aging up and then the next generation. Each generation takes me at least a year in real life to finish so it's not like I'm playing through them that quickly. I kind of think of it like in real life it's hard to accomplish everything so I don't expect my sims to master all skills or anything like that.
  • Options
    GITTE2001GITTE2001 Posts: 2,638 Member
    Baby: 2: 1 year
    Toddler: 10: 5 years, 1 - 6
    Child: 12: 6 years, 6 - 12
    Teen: 12: 6 years, 12 -18
    YA: 44: 22 years, 18 - 40
    Adult: 40: 20 years, 40 - 60
    Elder: 50 days at least: 25 years, 60 - 85 or more (a sim died at 208 days, 104 'years')
  • Options
    SimsxZelda_fanSimsxZelda_fan Posts: 179 Member
    Longer pregnancy must be a mod thing. Sounds like things could get rather interesting, especially when you already have kids.
  • Options
    Kylieb191Kylieb191 Posts: 4,653 Member

Baby - 4 days
    Toddler - 4 days
    Child - 20 days
    Teen - 36 days
    Young Adult - 90 days
    Adult - 450 days
    Elder - 239 days

Friends?: http://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/Kylierose19
    Proud member of the "I own the store" club
    Zpj9msL.png
    The real me:https://twitter.com/CupidStupidLov3
  • Options
    SimiLovaSimiLova Posts: 1,123 Member
    Yea, I like normal length as well. Only time I adjust it is with good ol' trusty aging on and aging off. I do extend the seasons though and yes I do enjoy the occasional supernatural state. But beyond that, if I have a human/witch family, that I'm playing now. I just leave it standard settings. As I enjoy seeing the kids grow up and nobody is annoyingly toddler for too long of a time.
  • Options
    The way I look at it, its a good opportunity solely to build and maintain important relationships on their way to becoming a child. And for children, its an even better way to form numerous friendships and building good memories.

For teens, actually, I find it useful to send them to camps and for skill learning to prepare for college and get the best out of their tenure in college.
  • Options
    LadyEmillyeLadyEmillye Posts: 19,238 Member
    Currently, with my saves I am playing, I don't have them aging unless I choose to, with rotational, I want to be able to make a bit more decisions. If it's just one family I am focusing on, then I'll turn the aging on and tend to play long or epic depending on the story in my head.
  • Options
    cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    edited August 2016
    I have always played on normal life span, with seasons each 7 days. I have adjusted the times for each life span though and increased my life expectancy from 90 to 91days. I use NRaas SP to limit the number of days they can linger past 91 to only 3 days total.

baby 2
    toddler 5
    child 7
    teen 14
    y Adult 21
    adult 35
    elder 7

Because the age spans are multiples of 7 (except for baby toddler which combined adds up to 7) they always have the same day of the week as their birthday.
  • Options
    wickedjr89wickedjr89 Posts: 1,777 Member
    I have my Sims ages set to 4 days = one year, for age anyway. Their seasons are 2 years long at 8 days each and a moon cycle is also 2 years long at 8 days.
    Infant (0) 4 days
    Toddler (1-4) 16 days
    Child (5-11 because teen is too short for my liking) 28 days
    Teen (12-17) 24 days (well 25 is as close as I can get it, and some of the older ages have a couple extra days too but I keep track and fix it with master controller mod)
    Young Adult (18-39) 88 days
    Adult (40-59) 80 days
    Elder (60-79) 80 days

Dogs have a lifespan set to 15 years, cats to 20 years and horses to 25 years.
  • Options
    juleseast3003juleseast3003 Posts: 318 Member
    @TadOlson

Youre lifespan seems brilliant. I love realism in my games - does the babies and toddlers length drive you up the wall though.
    Thanking you in advance
    Julie :)
  • Options
    Actually, no. Not in a family setting anyway. Infants are probably the most tedious and it get less and less as they get older.

In my families I usually have the wife stay at home and clean after everyone, so she'll be the main care taker of babies and toddlers; and where she can't the husband is usually home by then to tale care of the situation.
    Once you get into a rhythm everyday becomes clockwork and its actually quite easy. But I suppose its not AS easy as taking care of older children! Lol
  • Options
    KarinLKarinL Posts: 3,989 Member
    In some of my games have a mod that makes one year 112 days on 'epic' - which is 4 x 28 days.
    I only have one game where I play 'generations' and there the lifespan is set to 1190 days, at 14 days per year. (I have the seasons at 7 days, though, they're too short otherwise). This is the 'long' lifespan, but cut in half.
    (I made the mod myself, by adjusting an aging mod I found online years ago.)

Babies are only babies until they're 6 months old.
    Toddlers are 0.5 to 5
    Kids are 5 to 12
    Teens are 12 to 20
    YAs are 20 to 35
    Adults are 35 to 70
    Elders can live to 100, but usually I adjust that down to 85.

I've tried to set cats, dogs and horses to 15/20/30, but I'm not sure how to mod that, so I have to muddle with the game settings...

• Options
    KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    I have my custom lifespan days to over 1,000 days...I like my sims to live LONG lives...because, I just...hate to part with them.
  • Options
    KarinL wrote: »
    In some of my games have a mod that makes one year 112 days on 'epic' - which is 4 x 28 days.
    I only have one game where I play 'generations' and there the lifespan is set to 1190 days, at 14 days per year. (I have the seasons at 7 days, though, they're too short otherwise). This is the 'long' lifespan, but cut in half.
    (I made the mod myself, by adjusting an aging mod I found online years ago.)

Babies are only babies until they're 6 months old.
    Toddlers are 0.5 to 5
    Kids are 5 to 12
    Teens are 12 to 20
    YAs are 20 to 35
    Adults are 35 to 70
    Elders can live to 100, but usually I adjust that down to 85.
    Well, I put babies on 2 years just so my toddler wouldn't be so much longer than infant stage. But up to 2 yrs old most babies don't learn that much. I suppose that's my reasoning there.

And to be technical, children become adolescents at 10 and become "teens" at 14 or 15. I just included adolescent with teen so that my teen phase could be longer, plus I think my child phase is long enough.
    But biologically speaking, at least for females, teens reach physical maturity at 16 or even 15 so I stream lined males and females to age up and go to college at 16. That way they can develop their minds to the fullest extent sooner. But that's just me :P
  • Options
    GoulsquashGoulsquash Posts: 715 Member
    I hypothetically enjoy playing through generations (not that I've gotten through any, I also jump from save to save :flushed: ) so I have mine set so that I have enough time to do things, but that I'm not playing with brilliant sims who maxed out everything as kids.

Babies - 3
    Toddlers - 5
    Children - 14
    Teens - 16
    Young Adults - 28
    Adults - 21
    My Blog - Currently updating Aurora Skies!
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    @juleseast3003 -It's not usually an issue since I play my towns rotationally using NRaas Mods for managing story progression.I did that so I'd at least get a chance to play them enough at each stage of life before they grew up.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg