What is Mafia?
I'm glad you asked that! In its simplest form, Mafia consists of two sides: the Mafia, and the Town. The Mafia's goal is to kill the innocents, while the Town's goal is to kill the Mafia.
At the beginning of the game, the Moderator will secretly send everyone their role. The Mafia will know each other, while (in the basic game) everyone else will only know their own role.
The game has two phases, the first of which is Day. During Day, the Town must choose someone to Lynch; they are trying to eliminate the Mafia, but the Mafia can lead them astray by casting suspicion elsewhere. Generally, players will vote for someone they think is Mafia (the Mafia will vote so that they seem to be doing this as well, and might even vote for each other to confuse the Town); when a player gets a majority of the votes, they are lynched. Their role is revealed by the Moderator, and it becomes Night.
During the Night, no one can talk publicly. The Mafia, however, can speak to each other privately to plot strategy and decide who to murder before the next Day begins. In this way, they can silence members of the Town who are threats to them. At the end of the Night, the murder is carried out and another Day begins. In effect, the Town gets to kill someone, and then the Mafia gets to kill someone.
The game alternates between Day and Night until either the Mafia are eliminated, or the Mafia have killed everyone else (or nothing can prevent the same).
Here's also an information of roles distributed in games:
Mafia Vocabulary Words
- Role - is the specific character or ability user a player plays as in a game of Mafia. Roles are at the very least comprised of a role name, any abilities that role may have, and a Win Condition.
- Alignment - refers to your faction as town, mafia, or third party.
- Third Party - an alignment aside from Mafia and Town. These alignment has their own win condition. These are: Werewolves, Serial Killer, Survivor, Lyncher, Jester, Cult, Aliens, Goos,
- Vanilla Role - a role that doesn't have any ability. These roles are only Vanilla Townie and Mafia Goon.
- Power Role - a role that has an ability.
- Active Role - is one that must choose whether to use their role-related ability, and/or who to use their ability on. Most power roles are active in nature.
- Passive Role - is one which has no ability to choose when or how to use their role abilities.
- X-shot - is a role modifier that restricts the number of times that a power role can be used for the duration of the game. (Here 'X' can be replaced with the number of times it can be used.) More info .
- Setup - is a combination of Power Roles and/or mechanics used in a game of Mafia. Each setup brings it's own strategies and approaches, allowing players to tailor the game to their tastes; the almost endless amount of possibilities is one of the things that makes Mafia such a unique game.
- Lynch - is the Town's collective killing method. The majority of living players (both Town and scum) generally must agree on who to lynch by casting votes for the person they want to see dead.
- Mislynch - is when a Townie is lynched, whether Vanilla or a Power Role.
- Lynch-or-lose - aka LyLo, is a game state wherein the Town must lynch scum during the present Day phase or they will lose the game (often by being endgamed by scum). It is also called Lynch-right-or-lose.
- Mislynch-or-lose - aka MyLo, is a game state where the Town will lose if it mislynches during the present Day phase. This is different from LyLo in that LyLo requires the Town to lynch correctly, whereas in MyLo the Town is still afforded the opportunity to No Lynch without forfeiting the game (though this generally makes the next Day LyLo).
- Vote - is simply a quantifiable expression of the desire to lynch a player. Players may cast Vote: Playername.
- Hammer - is a vote on someone which results in the majority needed to lynch them. Once the hammer vote is placed, the game moves into Twilight until the mod posts the death scene.
- Nightkill - a kill made in the night.
- Upick - a game where you can pick your own role sent by the moderator of the game.
- Role Madness - a game in which the setup has a majority of power roles.
- Roleclaim - is a situation where you claim your role.
- Massclaim - is a situation where players claim their own role.
- Fakeclaim - is when you fake your role and claim it.
- Character Claim or Flavorclaim - is when you claim your character of a particular theme.
- Counterclaim - is a situation where someone claims that someone's role is their role.
- Bus or Bussing - is the act of distancing yourself from your scum partners, usually by helping to lynch them (and hopefully playing a major role in convincing others that they are worthy to be lynched).
- Scum - someone that is not town.
- No Lynch - a player can vote not lynch.
- Bandwagon or wagon - a player with votes.
- Sheep or sheeping - following what others do
- Confirmed Town/Scum - someone who is, undoubtedly, confirmed as town/scum.
- Day Start - A game that starts with a day.
- Night Start - A game that starts with a night, meaning all PR's that have a night action use them, usually begins with a death.
- Scumtell - A behavior a person is known to do when scum aligned.
- Scumslip - An accidental behavior that shows that said person is not town-aligned.
- Selfvote - To vote for oneself.
FoS – Finger of Suspicion. This means the person(s) you suspect the most to be mafia.
PoE – Process of Elimination
NL – No Lynch.
Scum – Not townsided.
BP – Bulletproof.
MyLo – Mislynch and Lose
LyLo- Lynch and Lose
NK – Night Kill
N# - Night Number
D# - Day Number
VT – Vanilla Townie
PR – Power Role
Sus – Suspect
SK -Serial Killer
CC - Counterclaim.
Quick Lynch - Lynching someone quickly.
ConfTown or ConfScum - Confirmed Town or Scum.
Vig - Vigilante - A town sided role that has the power to kill someone either during the day or at night (number of shots vary).
ML - Mislynch.
Rules, Regulations, and Guidelines for Players and Moderators
- First and Foremost, don’t rules-lawyer. Don’t act like you’re the mod.
- All site-wide rules apply. This isn't our own site, so make sure to follow these rules strictly.
- Talking about the game outside of a game's thread is forbidden. You are probably talking about an information that the player shouldn't know. Referring to the game is fine, but talking about it isn't.
- Please be active as much as possible.
- If you feel attacked/bullied/harrased etc., don't hesitate to PM the moderator in charge.
- Do not take everything too seriously or personally. Remember, this is only a game. Players might come off as rude, but that's just that.
- Don’t be rude to people. You also need to respect your mod.
- Don't hesitate to ask. If something is unclear, ask. If something needs to be clarified, ask.
- You should respect every mod decisions that the mod decided. If you feel that the moderator did wrong, PM them or call them out of the thread and talk about it.
- Dead players and players who are not in the game should never, in any way, influence the game. Just stay silent or just talk about something else.
- Strictly NO talking on-topic at night. Off-topic is fine. This is basic mafia game rule.
- Before you report someone to the SimGurus or EA Managers, you should, at first, talk about it to us. More info here.
- As a moderator, you should know what basic mafia is. It is encouraged but not required to play 3 or more games before hosting.
- You should also be prepared for things to happen.
- You should also know your schedule before hosting one.
- In terms of players breaking your own rules, you should give a warning first if possible. Force replacing a player is only made if the player keeps on breaking a rule, or anything that the player did that is not acceptable. Modkilling a player is only made if replacing the player cannot fix the problem such as player quoting private-moderator information like role PMs, and other things.
- It is also recommended to host pre-made setups . You can also try to create your own setup but you should know first if the setup is balanced or unbalanced. You can also ask me to review your setup and we could discuss it (Note that reviewing a setup is a thing where trial and errors are present, so you should be patient).
That's all! I'll probably add more into this.
Staffs of this communtiy
Other Threads and Things
- Keyenpeydee - The Mafia Community in The Sims Forums Representative
- CraftyKat Zinniavanilla - Mafia Listmod
- Broncos4life - Backup Mafia Listmod
- SilentWolf101 - All Mafia Players Discord Server Administrator
- Katieeeee - Administrator of Ultimate Mafia Boards Forum
- Mafia Ultimate List - this thread contains archived games, games that will be hosted, and other stuffs.
- First Scummer Awards - a thread where outstanding players are given an award. Scummer Awards will be held once a year, particularly in June.
- Mafia Scummies Awards 2018 - the second scummies awards.
- We also have a discord server for mafia players. So if you want to join, PM SilentWolf101.
- - A forum where simmers also play Mafia.