Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Where to begin

So I've read some great stories some of my fellow simmers have posted and its got me wanting to give this story writing a go! I feel my main sim would be perfect for this.

*Would tumblr be a good place to start or another site.. maybe here? lol
*What are the basics I'd need to start this?

Advice and ideas are welcome :smile:
Oh and I love reading sim stories, so if you have one you'd like to share post it, I'd love to read it :#

Comments

• KayKayAkersKayKayAkers Posts: 3 New Member

I have yet been able to afford to get sims4 sadly but do enjoy my sims3 .
    So i just wanted to share how annoyed i am with babysitters of Sims3!!

My cute newly weds were doing great. Mom at the very top of her job as president and had saved up quit a bit moved to the beach and had a beach house built. Dad as the family man had wishes to expand the family. So fast forward they welcomed a precious little boy. He was a wonderful baby always happy. Grew to be a very cute toddler...
    Dad was still not satisfied wanted more children at least five to watch grow up. What better way then to use the fertility reward upping the chance of twins.
    Mom got pregnant went in to labor and what do you know triplet girls!!
    Oooh man it was on now.. mom and dad couldn't sleep, take care of hi-gene,eat or anything. so what better thing to do then hire a babysitter to help out right??
    So the babysitter arrived and with all the crying and stress in the house she just stood in the door way and complained about the crying.. and they still had to pay her.
    Mom was drained, past away right there in the nursery. Dad was heart broken. Social services were on the way to pick up the children...

luckily i didn't save and could go back and fix things.
  • Brieanna19Brieanna19 Posts: 307 Member
    @KayKayAkers Oh my gosh. That's horrible! I haven't played TS3 is awhile but I thought the nannies were much better than TS4?.. Your story can totally change now, he's a single parent raising 4 children missing his soulmate. He now has to get a job to support his family but his nanny slacks off .. Maybe make a sim and "hire" her or him as an live in nanny to help out with the babies?

That kinda makes me want to play TS3 now, the my main sim in TS4 is so happy go lucky, nothing bad ever happens to her! :neutral:
  • ValoisFulcanelliValoisFulcanelli Posts: 672 Member
    edited July 2016
    Hi @Brieanna19 :) I'm just going to quote two little bits of your posts here:
    its got me wanting to give this story writing a go! I feel my main sim would be perfect for this.
    ...and...
    my main sim in TS4 is so happy go lucky, nothing bad ever happens to her!
    That right there is probably a fairly good reason why you shouldn't write about your main Sim!

Story thrives on conflict, and a story where nothing but happy things occur is... well, it's nice and all that, but it's going to become rather flat and dull to your readers after a while. You definitely need something to hinge the story on, some kind of conflict (such as the one you suggested to @KayKayAkers there about turning their story around: their conflict now would be the single father struggling to raise four children on his own).

Think about putting your Sim into a difficult situation (yes, even the happy-go-lucky Sim). What might she struggle to cope with? What might set her back and make her question herself? What does she have hidden in her past that might come to light and cause her problems now? What's the one thing she would be scared for others to find out? Who might rear their head from her past to disrupt her happy present? You get the general idea. Give her some conflict to resolve! And, just when she's taking two steps forward and the conflict looks to be under control, throw something else at her!

As to the logistics of where to put your story, you have lots of options. You can write it right here on the forum (although be aware that the forum's censor can mess up your writing by 'plumming' even fairly benign words). You can write on Blogger, Wordpress, LiveJournal, or Tumblr. Each of those has its own advantages and disadvantages. Not many people use LiveJournal for Sims stories, so the majority tend to reside on Blogger, Wordpress, or Tumblr.

Tumblr is great for stories with frequent and short chapters, because of the way it's set up. If you intend to post longer chapters, make use of the 'cut' option so people don't end up scrolling a lot. It has a very active Simming community and quite a few of us post stories over there, although the ones I post there are different from the one I post on my website, in how they're set up. (My main story comprises long chapters, but the Tumblr stories are much shorter.)

With Tumblr you can write in two main ways, which are:
    • Posting up to ten large images (or even just one) and writing the scene or chapter beneath it.
    • Creating a text post so you can embed the images in between the writing.
    You can also tag on Tumblr (the first five tags that you use are what will be seen, although you can use more). Many Simmers track various tags, such as 'Sims 3 (or 4) Stories' and 'Simblr' (the definition for a Sims Tumblr) so your stories will appear on the tracked tags and you can get new readers that way.

With Blogger or Wordpress you get to set up your story exactly how you want it, and both of those platforms have great stats options if you want to see who's reading. I've always used Wordpress, simply because I prefer it, but I self-host my Wordpress installation on my own website and use it primarily for chapter update notices and feedback for the story chapters themselves, which are HTML coded web pages. Most Simmers use the free blogs hosted by Wordpress itself.

The basics you'll need are:
    • A great idea!
    • Somewhere to host the story online
    • Free image-editing software (such as Gimp, Paint.net, Photoscape, etc) to resize your screenshots (make sure they're JPG and not too big, or you'll soon run out of the free hosting space you get at places like Wordpress and Blogger)
    • A signature banner on the forum that links to your story is also useful, because every time you post people will see it (unless they have image signatures disabled)
    Hope that helps you to get started out :)
    tfb.jpg
  • iButterfreeiButterfree Posts: 2,043 Member
    I don't have too much to add to the great advice given above; I'd just like to mention that if you connect your Blogger to a Google+ account (you can always create a spare account/one solely for the purpose of this benefit) then you have 15GB of hosting space for images and the like. So far I've only used 0.02 of that, and I have well over 1,000 pictures on my blog at this point.
    mss8gv9
  • BethDoesGamingBethDoesGaming Posts: 109 Member
    Just enjoy it and take in other peoples advice for your stories. That way the audience makes it better.
    tumblr_mwy4bptfGw1s9y1hvo1_500.gif

Phamily Is Life
  • FishOutOfSeaFishOutOfSea Posts: 60 Member
    Tumblr might be a little difficult to start on, well from my experience. It's hard to reach an audience if you dont have many followers on there. I would try to get an audience on here and maybe also have a blog website to start on. But the best way to get a huge audience is to be apart of an audience to many yourself.