Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Unofficial Simmer Census - Closed: Final Results posted!

Comments

• esharpmajoresharpmajor Posts: 1,055 Member
    jimmysnan wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I'm not surprised to see I have been right about the need for all life stages and complete life stages. That choice had a large amount of votes even if a larger amount of people are satisfied. Which doesn't actually correlate.
    It's probably because there was only a choice of poor or satisfactory - I decided to choose satisfactory because it was closer to how I feel than poor. I do enjoy the game, but I still think that they need to add toddlers, preteens and better babies.

Interesting to see that more people chose poor than great - that contradicts what @SimGuruDrake said recently in a thread on here. But I guess we need a wider amount of simmers for it to be more accurate.

It would be great if this would go out to all simmers that would be a true representation!

Yes it would be great to have a wider range of simmers rather than just forum users, but for the purposes of treating this as a sample (like how ratings work on TV, or polling for politics etc) it is actually a fairly safe guess to say that the survey at least reflects the opinions of forum users, and to a lesser degree the community at large. I added this quote to the FAQ because I know it's not a common concept that comes up for everyone but for what it's worth:

“The mathematics of probability proves the size of the population is irrelevant unless the size of the sample exceeds a few percent of the total population you are examining. This means that a sample of 500 people is equally useful in examining the opinions of a state of 15,000,000 as it would a city of 100,000.” -Scott Smith, Ph.D.

Which means we only need to survey only a small group of around 500-1000 people to achieve acceptably accurate results. This survey is not a great way to show every individual's nuanced desires, which is why I didn't worry about adding the option to write in answers etc. It's intentionally very generalized. Think of it like a litmus test - it gives a vague idea, but does not give you specifics. I think for fans it's all we really need to worry about. Now, for the purposes of telemetry collection, EA would want every simmer they can get in order to see the most accurate data, but for a project such as this, it isn't strictly necessary to be that thorough.

I do agree with the observation that more options in the categories calling for poor-satisfied-great would have been wise, as 'satisfied' encompasses everything from 'meh i guess it's fine' to 'yeah, pretty good' - but alas too late to go back on that one now. Live and learn!
    edited July 2016
    Interesting that a fair few people miss story progression, for some reason I didn't think that would be the case.

Maybe a simmer could post a link to your survey on the Sims main Facebook page to save you having to join? And Twitter. There must be somebody here who could do that for you. I am astounded that you forked over cash to get the survey results, so I don't mind joining Facebook for you if nobody else can do it.

That would be lovely @elanorbreton if you have the time, although we are already to nearly 700 responses, so only 300 spots left! :# I've decided separate surveys for the various SM platforms would be the way to collect the most responses - I will update the main post in a moment.

Feel free to take it again if you frequent one of the following sites, and share it as you like with those communities. I will share it on Reddit personally as that's the only community I read aside from here. :) Once those surveys have all reached 500, I will compile the averages to determine the overall community response, and also post the results separately so we can see the differences!

Note that I did not expand the answer options for the following surveys in order to keep it compatible with the forum responses, but I have updated the wording of the questions to say 'Which of the following best describes...' to indicate that you are choosing the closest answer, not the perfect answer. I can't think of a better option. Anyhoo here are the links:

The Officially Unofficial Simmer Census - Facebook Edition!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/PCD26WT

The Officially Unofficial Simmer Census - Twitter Edition!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/PWQGS2T

The Officially Unofficial Simmer Census - Tumblr Edition!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/PWF6TZM

The Officially Unofficial Simmer Census - Reddit Edition!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/PSDXKZ3

The Officially Unofficial Simmer Census - Fan Site Edition! (MTS, SimsVIP, what have you)
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/PSW5ZLW

Share away!

Let me know if there are any big communities I may have missed, and I will add them. :)
  • jimmysnanjimmysnan Posts: 8,303 Member
    jimmysnan wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I'm not surprised to see I have been right about the need for all life stages and complete life stages. That choice had a large amount of votes even if a larger amount of people are satisfied. Which doesn't actually correlate.
    It's probably because there was only a choice of poor or satisfactory - I decided to choose satisfactory because it was closer to how I feel than poor. I do enjoy the game, but I still think that they need to add toddlers, preteens and better babies.

Interesting to see that more people chose poor than great - that contradicts what @SimGuruDrake said recently in a thread on here. But I guess we need a wider amount of simmers for it to be more accurate.

It would be great if this would go out to all simmers that would be a true representation!

Yes it would be great to have a wider range of simmers rather than just forum users, but for the purposes of treating this as a sample (like how ratings work on TV, or polling for politics etc) it is actually a fairly safe guess to say that the survey at least reflects the opinions of forum users, and to a lesser degree the community at large. I added this quote to the FAQ because I know it's not a common concept that comes up for everyone but for what it's worth:

“The mathematics of probability proves the size of the population is irrelevant unless the size of the sample exceeds a few percent of the total population you are examining. This means that a sample of 500 people is equally useful in examining the opinions of a state of 15,000,000 as it would a city of 100,000.” -Scott Smith, Ph.D.

Which means we only need to survey only a small group of around 500-1000 people to achieve acceptably accurate results. This survey is not a great way to show every individual's nuanced desires, which is why I didn't worry about adding the option to write in answers etc. It's intentionally very generalized. Think of it like a litmus test - it gives a vague idea, but does not give you specifics. I think for fans it's all we really need to worry about. Now, for the purposes of telemetry collection, EA would want every simmer they can get in order to see the most accurate data, but for a project such as this, it isn't strictly necessary to be that thorough.

I do agree with the observation that more options in the categories calling for poor-satisfied-great would have been wise, as 'satisfied' encompasses everything from 'meh i guess it's fine' to 'yeah, pretty good' - but alas too late to go back on that one now. Live and learn!

I was not criticizing in any way. I was agreeing that it should be on facebook or twitter, and the EA should put it out to all simmers. It would be a true representation and then the devs could see what they needed to be working with.
  • Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
    This was a very good survey. I was a little surprised by some of the results. All in all I like the Sims 4 but I'm another of the people that still doesn't quite know what the "vision" for this iteration is. I get that it's a "live service" but I'm not real sure how that's supposed to play out and develop over the long run or what EA's exact boardroom definition is. Especially when I see clamoring not just here on the forums but many other places for toddlers- for over two years now- and no confirmation either way on their development. My viewpoint on a reactive live service that responds to player desires and tries to develop the game accordingly doesn't really fit with that and other gray area requests that people still feel so confused about. I do think there have been recent overtures in communications though and that things are getting better on that front and a true effort is being made at this time to keep an open flow of information to the players. I'm very optimistic about this and looking forward to the future of the game.
    edited July 2016
    @jimmysnan Don't worry not taken as critisism, I quite agree! I just posted some links so that we can expand our reach to some other communities. I'm curious if we are aligned or if we'll see a big shift in the answers from the users that frequent there. Thanks a ton for your feedback, and sorry if it seemed I was condescending in any way, but it's actually a fairly new concept for me, and I try not to assume that everyone is familiar with how polling works. I recently had to do some for a marketing position and had to educate myself on the basics - I was surprised by how small a sample is considered the norm for even huuuuge populations! Math, as it turns out, is kinda cool. *teenaged me screams internally*
    @JasonAnthonySterling Great response, very thoughtful, thank you!
  • ZarrielZarriel Posts: 475 Member
    I'm late but I took it anyway. :)
    Origin ID:
    coollogo_com-31276450_zps25ba3967.png

• TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    edited July 2016
    @QDog I totally agree, I think that is really interesting, "still don't get it" was my personal choice as well. The team mentions it like it is this definable thing, but it's clear that most here are still unsure what they are talking about! I think that's a really good bit of info for the communications team because knowing the direction of the Sims 4, the logic behind it, and what it means for the various playstyles moving forward is important for achieving/maintaining confidence in the franchise.

THIS THIS THIS!

I chose "NO" for the vision because I feel that whatever the vision is, it includes adding features players don't want (culling, relationship culling, inactive played relationship decay, etc) covertly, damaging the game that we all paid for without even telling us until the damage has been done.

Thanks for putting together this survey! I'm really excited that you've expanded it to these other platforms, and I'll be very interested to see what results you get when you put it all together. :smile:

ETA: Sorry if that was off topic/frustrated - I really like the upbeat tone you're keeping in the thread and I enjoy all of your jokes. :smile:
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I filled out the Facebook and MTS surveys too. I'm not a member of any of the other communities.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • alexandreaalexandrea Posts: 2,432 Member
    katniss9 wrote: »
    Taken.

Love your siggy. :)
    p6tqefj
  • Rukola_SchaafRukola_Schaaf Posts: 3,065 Member
    wow ! in one day :open_mouth:

i won't be participating in the forums & the gallery anymore - thanks EA
  • teaa5teaa5 Posts: 1,407 Member
    edited July 2016
    Thank you for results OP:))))))))) exactly like I thought they would be... @RachelFranklin could you please take these results into consideration and let us know what is the fate of toddlers: just simple yes or no will be enough. Thank you :)
    00.jpg

Origin ID : kateteaa Twitter: MunchPumpkins
    Sims 3 wishlist: http://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=teaa5
    Sims 4 origin wishlist: https://www.origin.com/gbr/en-us/view-wishlist/7a1SQrtJtdHoNce4KS_ZTg--
  • clover24clover24 Posts: 887 Member
    edited July 2016
    Wow I was not expecting story progression to be ahead of casT but I was wrong on that. Yay to sp

Thanks for the results I found some of them rather unexpected.
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,541 Member
    Well, what do you know - I already had a Facebook account! I went to sign up and it said my email was already in use. I'd forgotten all about it :D I'm not too hot on Facebook procedures, this is how I posted it so I hope it is ok:

Capture%20%282%29.JPG?dl=0
  • StilleWaterStilleWater Posts: 1,566 Member
    taken, but some of the picks need to be expanded...satisfactory ---great. needs pick in between.
    7FXGVZ1.jpg?1
  • CiarassimsCiarassims Posts: 3,547 Member
    This was soo interesting I enjoyed participating !
    giphy_1.gif
    Well, I just went back to The Sims Facebook page and can no longer see my comment... do you think they removed it? I have re-posted it on my own page and made it viewable by the public, but I don't know how many people will get to see it there.
    Thank you for the attempt @elanorbreton I honestly have no idea how it works. I am going to post there myself, I don't want you to give yourself a headache. I'll do twitter too, since I have an account even though I'm awful with it.

I find it really awkward posting on the public pages on facebook because I've got my real name and pic etc on my profile, and honestly most of my friends don't really know I play...... so yup, awkward, but I'll do it anyway. Oh, the things I do for data. Hopefully they don't delete mine - I assume that's what they did with yours, though I have no idea why. This social media plum makes me feel ooooooooooold. Lol!
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,215 Member
    edited July 2016
    Hmm... It reminds me the 593 players who sign the Nanashi-sims' GT boycott pledge...

We never knew how many of them bought the EP02 finally.
    It might not be worthwhile revealing your true identity @esharpmajor cos they will probably just delete it anyway. I've had somebody see the post on my page already so maybe people will see it there.

You should ask @catloverplayer if he would mind doing it, cos he seems to be on fb, twitter and everywhere :p maybe if we ask him really nicely ;)
  • HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    Nice work, @esharpmajor! I took it a few minutes ago but I'm not sure if you already have 1,000 replies yet or not...but this was a great idea. And I love your sense of humor. :)
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
    edited July 2016
    @HappySimmer3 Not quite there yet, but we're at 850! :open_mouth: Pretty sweet.

Ok I finally managed to figure out how to get fb to do it without revealing the cold hard truth that my hair, in fact, usually looks terrible, by creating a page and posting through that.

https://www.facebook.com/unofficialsimmercensus/

There we go. It is showing up for me on the main sim page now, and I messaged them as well so they know whats up and that I'm not some spam bot. Hope that works. ETA: It did!
    Post edited by esharpmajor on
  • RisakishoRisakisho Posts: 52 Member
    It's interesting to see the results of other simmers. This could be beneficial if EA does take count into this stats to better the Sims 4 franchise.
    b8EQfn6.gif
    edited July 2016
    Neeeevermind looks like it's gone again. Man, considering how darn quick the fb ppl are with removing posts, you think they'd be able to send a message explaining why? Lol. FB post has been approved, all good in the hood!