Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Blueprints Home Plans Inspiration

Does anyone use these for inspiration when building. I'm a bit rubbish at building my houses generally look like boxes. Are generally massive and the CFE work at lot of builders use confuses me. Love to watch speed builds though

Thanking you in advance
Julie :)

Comments

• MemoriiValentineMemoriiValentine Posts: 1,911 Member
    i know how you feel.you could always look up actual house plans and go based off of those.kinda like this maybe ? https://www.houseplans.com
    Happy Simming!♥
  • juleseast3003juleseast3003 Posts: 318 Member
    That's a really cool site. I always try to build too big when big isn't always the best. I wish I could master all the cool building tricks
    Thanking you in advance
  • 06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    I also have used houseplans but with improvement I have started building houses without houseplans.

I think everyone starts out with massive houses and one way I prevented that was by placing cheap furniture then placing the free floors under it to map out the general sizes, the build walls. It stops you from using bigger spaces than you need.
  • Kylieb191Kylieb191 Posts: 4,653 Member
    Friends?: http://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/Kylierose19
    Proud member of the "I own the store" club
    Zpj9msL.png
    The real me:https://twitter.com/CupidStupidLov3
  • creativemetaphorcreativemetaphor Posts: 1,543 Member
    I don't use other people's floor plans so much, but I do often make my own floor plans ahead of time and layout everything before I start building in the game. Graph paper is perfect for this.
  • SimKeatsSimKeats Posts: 2,186 Member
    I used to have a problem with box shaped houses. Then I realized it didn't really bother me that much, its just what I tend to prefer. But I grew up in an Eichler so I'm rather partial to mid-century modern architecture, and honestly I'm pretty fond of the ultra modern styles in ITF too.
    To be a little more clear, open floor plan, tends to require a rather large chunk of fairly box shaped house.

If I build a house from scratch, I usually always start with a foyer/entryway that will have enough space for fairly large stairs/tube elevators, and depending on the size of house, hallways branching off, and go from there. One helpful trick in making it look more house-like, is to make the rooms based on how much/what furniture it will have, and making sure your sims will have enough space in the room to interact without having to run across the house to the nearest empty space big enough for whatever animations they need to perform.
    edited July 2016
    ^ adding to this, something i learned from builders is to treat the outside as its own room meaning add walls and change the shape to where it feels right to you. Most pretty houses have what I call useless walls lol.
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    I have made houses based on houses that I actually know. This was something I did a lot less pre TS2, especially in the TS1 days and early TS2 days and sometimes I actually find it hard to build without planning in advance :#
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,280 Member
    Right after I had brought The Sims 3, I had built a house in my game from a blueprint that I found online. I had a list of different sites for blueprints saved to my Favorites list. Then I had to replace my PC, so I had lost the house that I built but I still have the design for it as I had copied it to graph paper for later use.

I ended up building houses that I am familiar with such as my childhood home, my grandmother's trailer and my in-laws house. I have built houses without planning them out as they just pop up in my head on how I want to do them.
  • justbricejustbrice Posts: 348 Member
    I feel that blueprints would help, especially if your not a good builder like me. I was thinking of trying it out, but I don't know if it will come out right. The house is bigger compare to what it looks like in the picture.
  • ThePinkBookGirlThePinkBookGirl Posts: 437 Member
    I have a few house plan magazines that I am hoping to use as the basis for some buildings in the Sims. Before I bought the Sims, I actually had a house plan design program and would use the houseplans to play around with building things. It was a lot of fun. I have also found books at my local Library with houseplans, so that might also be a good place to look.

I use the blueprints in Sims 3 mostly for Resorts, as I'm normally too distracted with other things to bother making a decent resort from the beginning :wink: As I gather funds, I go back and adjust, but I find the blueprints help create a basic shape to start from.
    @ThePinkBookGirl I have built some large hotels before but they take ages so I know what it is like trying to perfect a resort.

Oh, and welcome to the forums :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    These are 2 of the houses I build using online blueprints, so it helps a lot. The only hard part is the measurements but you have to wing it so it looks good in game

Screenshot-264_zpsp3d5so2h.jpg
    Screenshot-168_zpswvspiprv.jpg
    Another solution is to have your boxy house - which is a perfectly legitimate style - and do other things to make it seem less boxy. Add a covered porch or pop out the entry, decorative elements on the roof like pop-out gables (whether you have an upper floor or not), or just take one room or one section of a room and bump the wall out one square to break up a long wall. If you have a second floor, offset some of the walls (out or in) for different effects. You can have a perfectly square main floor but if you have a very different layout on your second that will really break up the visual impact.
    @creativemetaphor What I used to do was extend houses over time, starting as a small shed and then adding to it. I actually miss doing that these days as I used to end up with some very interesting houses.

Oh, and welcome to the forums :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    Thank you!

I confess that I actually play the Sims relatively little compared to how much I use it to make houses. I use it to get my architecture fix. I said above grid paper works great for pre-designing but that's because I doubt most people here have AutoCAD. I totally use AutoCAD to design my houses... :blush:

I have played games using a very simple starting house and then never moving my family, just making additions and some renovations as funds and circumstances allow.
  • candy8candy8 Posts: 3,815 Member
    I have been building houses since Sims 1 and I still can't build that well. One thing I have noticed and that goes with some of EA's prebuilt houses in the game that if you don't build them big enough your Sims will have difficulty moving around furniture and each other the Sims themselves in the game.
    candy8 wrote: »
    I have been building houses since Sims 1 and I still can't build that well. One thing I have noticed and that goes with some of EA's prebuilt houses in the game that if you don't build them big enough your Sims will have difficulty moving around furniture and each other the Sims themselves in the game.

Same here. I like using some of EA's pre-built houses in the game. Sims 1 had some good pre-built houses. I also like to download houses from various websites. Building a community lot must be hard to build. I read that you have to do certain steps when you build apartments.
  • CravenLestatCravenLestat Posts: 13,735 Member
    @Kylieb191 :rage: Yours is nothing like the original,clearly you can tell the original has 600 watt electronic garage door opener,yours does not.Also if you look closely in the original you can see a single dandelion in the yard yours does not have it.So tear it down and start over :#

:D Joke good job <3

@06Bon06 Love how you made the little porch alcove on the first house by the front door that is awesome :love: And the colorful flower bed is cute. 5 stars :star::star::star::star::star: And the Wysteria growing is a nice touch.
    I Play Sims 3 On A Potato

DfydFiZ.gif
    If you look around the internet you can find some plans all over the place.

This is a 1920s house, although the image is a bit small:

1920s.jpg

Noal Park in Hornsey in London:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTGNGNde9zZxADQSNs8EMUFrz0LuT3-jsEB2OJh17HGom1k8Gm0GA

Charlton House, a Georgian house:

71f448150382692e626cc31b2562c8bd.jpg
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • 5782341b77vl5782341b77vl Posts: 9,149 Member
    I built one type of house for my game -

The massive "Burns Estate" (named since Sheila Burns was the first to receive this massive house). The original was built on "Mosquito Cove" lot and only used BASE items (since I only had Base at that time) -

Porchesmain-house_zps4c421717.jpg
    Main house (3bedrm/2bathrm) -occasionally a half bath is added to the 1st floor (or no 1st floor bathrooms if I'm feeling EVIL)
    Pool01_zps92a91423.jpg
    Pool (if space/story permits it)
    Poolhouseandpool_zpsb23d3f1a.jpg
    Pool-house (1bedrm/1bathrm) - normally I end up using the pool house as my own private gym

-- I am currently going thru a mobile-home "phase" right now and building (mostly) 2bedrm/1bathrm (single-wide) trailors for my families.

So far, I've built 5 trailor lots and a few others are in the works. I would have to say Linda vista is probably my favorite of all my trailor lots.

Welcome to the Linda Vista Mobile-Home Park (40X40 lot)

house1%20plans_zpsiwek8vcp.jpg
    Trailor 1 - (originally, the kitchen/dining area was supposed to be on the upper half of this "split-level" home with the "wet-bar" on the lower ground level. The split-level proved too much of a pain for me - and my short temper - so I just made it a flat floor plan)

house2%20plans_zpsevdqsm2x.jpg
    Trailor 2 - (this is the 2nd 1bedrm/1bathrm trailor that I've ever built. The 1st was called the "Mobile Flower-Box Home")

house3%20plans_zpswq3pqskk.jpg
    Trailor 3 - (Being the newest trailor on the lot, I gave it the horizontal siding and asphalt shingle roofing for a newer look while the others have the metal siding and metal roofing for a much older appearance)

And so you will always find your way back home...

sky%20trailor1_zpsxjntcepk.jpg
    ... the famous "Sky Trailor" (It's only a shell with lights inside, but by my calculations, the sky trailor could've been a 3bed/2bath trailor!)
    ...AND WASH YOUR DING-DANG HANDS!
  • juleseast3003juleseast3003 Posts: 318 Member
    @5782341b77vl cool do you merge your families and then play with locked doors.
    Thanking you in advance
    @5782341b77vl Nice houses :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    @5782341b77vl You did a good job on those houses.
  • 5782341b77vl5782341b77vl Posts: 9,149 Member
    @juleseast3003
    @king_of_simcity7
    @justbrice

Thanks. :)

@juleseast3003 - only if I'm feeling EVIL enough do I lock them in... >:)
    ...AND WASH YOUR DING-DANG HANDS!
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top