Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Still can't mix babies?

So the last family I had on TS3 were a white girl and a black guy, and every time they had a baby they'd always be either white or black and never could mix to in between. And I knew of genetic engineering on Into the Future, and just fiddled around with it and you could only change hair & eye colour and not skin as far as I noticed.

I guess my question is can we really not still mix babies? With all the other custom options, the many and various custom options and can't mix babies? Am I missing a feature here? BQ: Is there a way to do it anyway?

Comments

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    If not averse to using mods, NRaas StoryProgression provides an option for Advanced Genetics that allows for much more advanced blending of offspring attributes. It's on by default, but the SP Extra and SP Population add-on modules are required.

Yet still, with either EA or SP genetics in play, many of us sometimes get clones of one parent or the other anyway (not sure this is what's happening here, it usually takes until a child gets older before one realizes they are a parental clone). NRaas MasterController, a different mod, has a Play With Genetics function that allows the player to select a sim, their two genetic donors (parents), and re-roll their genetics until what looks more like a proper blend shows up. MC Cheats add-on module also required.

Without mods, I don't think there is much you can do except wait until the baby is at least a toddler, then bring them into CAS with the testingcheatgsenabled shift-click version, and adjust their skintone manually.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    I had an interesting experience.

This couple had a baby together. They both have CC skins.
    Heather_And_Duncan007.jpgscreen shot windows 7

When he was born he was black. When he was a few minutes old he was being held by his mother while I wondered what to do and I watched the game autonomously change him to white. I did nothing but wonder what was going on. The father is a genie and his skin slider is set far to the right which is where it would be if he had a different skin and he was dark skinned.

Here he is with his father.

Duncan045.jpgfree photo hosting

I didn't get time to get a shot of him while he was black skinned.

And slightly irrelevant - but I like pictures - here is a wedding photo of the couple.
    Hw_D053.jpguploading pictures
  • Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member

I tend to have pretty good luck with skintone blending in offspring in my game. Here are two sims, one a dark skinned genie and the other a light skinned human.
    Screenshot-121_zps509387e4.jpg

Their first born, a daughter who is also a genie.
    ToddlerAvi_zps621101e4.png
    She's got pale skin with the slightest blue tint, in some of her pictures it is hard to tell at all and some it is more evident.

Screenshot-275_zpsvhtf1fq8.jpg
    And here she is with her younger brother, also a genie and a bit darker than she is but nowhere near as dark as their father.

Screenshot-309_zpsyzdo3yfg.jpg

A baby being born with black skin might also be attributed to a CC skin or also bad CC. But it isn't in the game's design as far as I know to autonomously change a baby's skin color right before your eyes, sounds like a glitch rather than intent of the game.

Sometimes my kids are the spitting image of a parent, well almost, and sometimes they are a decent blend of the two. I hope you see more of the blending in your game.
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    Having thought about it a bit I suspect my problem may be that I didn't have the baby version of the skin the game wanted to give the baby so it had some time with no skin (sims without a skin assigned are black) and that the game probably did a bit a quick calculation and came up with a substitute.

But I was thinking along the lines of glitch at the time it happened.

All seems good with them now though and he's successfully aged up to be a toddler. I haven't played that family for a while now so he'll continue to be a toddler in limbo for a while.
  • Peach77Peach77 Posts: 313 Member
    You can with mods like @igazor said. What it seems to do is separate ramp and slider value. So the options you end up with are: 2 identical to one parent options, Dad's slider value on Mom's ramp, Mom's slider value on Dad's ramp. There's also the option in the mod for drift that will slightly alter the values in either direction, but I can't confirm if that applies to skin tone or only facial sliders. Here's an example:

Parents:
    Screenshot-91.jpg

First daughter: I think this is the Mom's value on Dad's ramp variation,
    Screenshot-11.jpg

Second daughter: I think this is Dad's value on Mom's ramp option, since she is a bit more yellow,
    Screenshot-63.jpg

Since cute and shows better the difference between the 2 girls:
    Screenshot-85.jpg
  • SimsxZelda_fanSimsxZelda_fan Posts: 179 Member
    Cool. Cool.

Thanks guys! I will look into all these options. I've never used mods, so I'll have to learn about using those properly before I delve into em. But I might try the cheat at first just to see.

How does that work?
  • Stdlr9Stdlr9 Posts: 2,744 Member
    edited July 2016
    Speaking of in-game skin tones only (not cc, which is another discussion), they WILL mix but they have to be from the same "base," for lack of a better word. You know when you pick the skin tone drop-down circles in Create-a-Sim? Both parents have to have skin color in the same "base" (circle) to have them mix. So if you have a very light one from the first circle and that Sim has a child with a Sim with very dark skin from that same circle, you can easily get a skin color in between. I do this all the time in my game and it's one of my favorite features.

If you have a Sim with a light skin from, say, the first skin tone base, and a Sim with dark skin from a different skin tone base (or red, or blue, or green), they will not mix.

Edit: Here's an example in my game. Sorry the screenshot is poor quality.
    TheHolidays_zps7b6cc7e8.jpg
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Peach77 wrote: »
    You can with mods like @igazor said. What it seems to do is separate ramp and slider value. So the options you end up with are: 2 identical to one parent options, Dad's slider value on Mom's ramp, Mom's slider value on Dad's ramp. There's also the option in the mod for drift that will slightly alter the values in either direction, but I can't confirm if that applies to skin tone or only facial sliders.
    My experience is the game is less static than that. This family I played a few years ago.

Skins_Iljas%20gezin2_zps7dawkp3g.png

I just digged up their save to check, because I was certain back then the skin colours of the parents did actually result into three different skin tones. The ramp of mother and father were the same one, as for the sliders:

Skins_Iljas%20gezin_zpsr9tc4fvm.png

(no mods)
    5JZ57S6.png
    Stdlr9 wrote: »
    Speaking of in-game skin tones only (not cc, which is another discussion), they WILL mix but they have to be from the same "base," for lack of a better word. You know when you pick the skin tone drop-down circles in Create-a-Sim? Both parents have to have skin color in the same "base" (circle) to have them mix. So if you have a very light one from the first circle and that Sim has a child with a Sim with very dark skin from that same circle, you can easily get a skin color in between. I do this all the time in my game and it's one of my favorite features.

If you have a Sim with a light skin from, say, the first skin tone base, and a Sim with dark skin from a different skin tone base (or red, or blue, or green), they will not mix.

Edit: Here's an example in my game. Sorry the screenshot is poor quality.
    TheHolidays_zps7b6cc7e8.jpg
    Not sure if I understand you correctly, but this same father had another child with a genie. Her blue tone base was mixed with his slider position.

9381434_orig.png
    5JZ57S6.png
  • GITTE2001GITTE2001 Posts: 2,638 Member
    I think it's clear.
    Skintones do mix. I have few experience with it unfortunately, So far my sims have been or just pale or purple.
    Oh, OK, JoAnne65, thanks. I was under the impression that different base skin tones would not mix. Perhaps that was changed in a patch since I got my info!
    Oh, OK, JoAnne65, thanks. I was under the impression that different base skin tones would not mix. Perhaps that was changed in a patch since I got my info!
    Yes, that's possible. This family I played in 2012. It's also possible they changed it after that into what you describe (if Gitte hasn't had any blending like this in her game). A very unfortunate change in my opinion, if that's the case.
    5JZ57S6.png
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Yes, that's possible. This family I played in 2012. It's also possible they changed it after that into what you describe (if Gitte hasn't had any blending like this in her game). A very unfortunate change in my opinion, if that's the case.

Maybe they're just all around the same place in my game, and Louise and Learco inherited Gabriel's skintone completely anyway.
    Megen was actually a bit more blue - the slider a little bit more to the right, where Learco's skintone was - I guess, can't remember that. I just know I changed it somehow. Maybe I have to go in game and look where Aneirin's skintone is.
    It is possible they altered some things when they introduced the colour sliders, to avoid an unexpected real strange outcome.
    5JZ57S6.png
    It's possible, I'm going to check it anyway. It would be unfortunately when that's true though.
  • SimsxZelda_fanSimsxZelda_fan Posts: 179 Member
    @stdlr9 Oh! I didn't think about that.... I always pick the closest to the tone I want and then adjust the hue. Haha that will definitely help!
  • Kylieb191Kylieb191 Posts: 4,653 Member
    lht_original.jpg

This is one of my sim families and the baby is a little lighter than her mom especially in the face :) and they had a boy aferwards and he's got a lighter skin tone than mom as well

(in the crib)
    Screenshot-25_zpswdq5mtt9.jpg

(sorry for the bad pic)
    Friends?: http://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/Kylierose19
    Proud member of the "I own the store" club
    Zpj9msL.png
    The real me:https://twitter.com/CupidStupidLov3
  • 06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    Kylieb191 wrote: »
    lht_original.jpg

This is one of my sim families and the baby is a little lighter than her mom especially in the face :) and they had a boy aferwards and he's got a lighter skin tone than mom as well

(in the crib)
    Screenshot-25_zpswdq5mtt9.jpg

(sorry for the bad pic)

I lovw the wallpaper
  • Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    Nathaniel and Trinity have 14 kids and their children vary. I don't have a recent family picture of them all since I've changed a lot of their ages and removed any supernatural states but hopefully, this gives you an idea that skin tones do mix.
    op8c9g.jpg

Here are some of the kids that are still living at home. Some kids look a lot like their father or mother but some kids share both parents features. And there is only one child that didn't look like either parent which basically is a preset sim. Minus the skin tone, eye/hair color, etc inherited.
    2uqbvys.jpg
    x22n4h.jpg
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • Kylieb191Kylieb191 Posts: 4,653 Member
    @06Bon06 Thank you :) it's from ATS3
    Friends?: http://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/Kylierose19
    Proud member of the "I own the store" club
    Zpj9msL.png
    The real me:https://twitter.com/CupidStupidLov3
    I've got my proof.
    TMkCcPT.png
    PeDNjEo.png
    vHr3drA.png

It's just a little bit, but the son's colour is a bit more to the right.
    GITTE2001 wrote: »
    I've got my proof.
    TMkCcPT.png
    PeDNjEo.png
    vHr3drA.png

It's just a little bit, but the son's colour is a bit more to the right.

Thanks, I'm really learning stuff from this post!