Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

can you move furniture between houses?

my sons are moving out and i wanna give my favorite one some old furniture ive saved over the years. how do i do this??

Comments

• starcrunchstarcrunch Posts: 672 Member
    edited July 2016
    There's a mod for packing crates that lets you do this, but you can't do it otherwise I believe. Wish that you could!

ETA: Not sure if it still works but this is the one I was thinking of - http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=557383
    OriginID: CrunchedStars
  • lejoninnalejoninna Posts: 4,287 Member
    thanks! that mod hasnt been updated in a while tho, i just noticed. couldnt that damage ur game?
    Definitely would branch my save before trying it out. It shouldn't damage your game if you role back to the branched save after removing the mod (you may need to clear the cache as well). Yeah I think this might not work right.

Maybe someone here has used it recently and will comment. I've never used it and only knew about it because it was in the "suggested mods" the other day. Didn't realize how dated it was.
    edited November 2016
    i just read a comment that the june patch broke the mod :/ thanks anyway!
    Post edited by lejoninna on
  • ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    This might work. Put the furniture in a room, save the room to your library and then place the room in the destination house.
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • Jaline33Jaline33 Posts: 1,168 Member
    This might work. Put the furniture in a room, save the room to your library and then place the room in the destination house.

Clever solution! :smiley:
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member

Good thinking!
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,579 Member

Yes, I always do this trick for everything. :P It's the best.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif

This a very good idea. I'll have to remember it for sure!
  • Prink34320Prink34320 Posts: 5,078 Member
    edited July 2016
    Can't you just put all the furniture you want in your House Storage in Build & Buy Mode before moving? Also, why don't we get Simoleons if we move houses and don't keep the other?! Well if it's from an expensive house to a cheaper one that is.
    Live your life to the fullest, don't wait for a miracle to happen, be the miracle to make things happen.
    Sometimes your creativity is limited where you use it most, but you can use those limitations to inspire new forms of creativity you may never have thought of beforehand.
  • Samsonguy9000Samsonguy9000 Posts: 755 Member
    Prink34320 wrote: »
    Can't you just put all the furniture you want in your House Storage in Build & Buy Mode before moving? Also, why don't we get Simoleons if we move houses and don't keep the other?! Well if it's from an expensive house to a cheaper one that is.

It would seem they just want specific furniture, though that can be solved by just selling everything else before moving and opting to keep the furniture. That does seem a rather exhaustive affair and would require re-furnishing the vacated house if you wish to move a new household in.
    As to the second point, you should be getting simoleons if you are getting a cheaper house. The more simoleons if you opt to sell the furniture as opposed to keeping it. If it really does seem to not be working that way, then you might be hitting a rare glitch or just doing something differently.

I do like the room as mobile storage unit idea, as you only need to make a room only as big as you need it to fit everything, and then just sell it once you got the furniture placed in the new house. Just be cautious you don't accidentally upload it to the gallery. Unless you are looking to start your own Sim Storage Wars.
  • AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    They really need a move out feature which I hope they bring in with University Life or Metropolis. You can use the computer or phone to select 'move out', and then you can choose which furniture and stuff you wanna bring with you, and a way to transfer some funds as well.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

Its just the sons moving out, not the whole family @ u ppl above me.

And cant believe theres no move out feature already...
  • CunninghamCunningham Posts: 1,310 Member
    I guess the best way is to cheat a little bit, buy the items you need but then give back the money that you did have. I know its cheating but I think this is the only way of your request happening.
    'I'm Just Another Plum Faced Irishman, Am I Not?'
    "Dr Moose's daycare challenge "
    The Sims 3 - Wishlist/Top5
    oGh7KNi.gif
  • feetinstockingsfeetinstockings Posts: 4,264 Member
    edited July 2016

what a brilliant idea. I will remember this. It would have to be done on a different lot though otherwise if its done on the same lot, the whole house would be uploaded and saved. If its just the one room with the stuff in, you need to put all furniture not going in the room, in the family inventory, take down all walls except the one room.
    Then once the upload has been done, rebuild the house.

But if its just furniture that can be bought then you could do it on another lot.

But, if you upload the whole house. go to an empty lot, download it and delete what you don't want, then re upload it with just the stuff you want.
  • AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    lejoninna wrote: »
    Its just the sons moving out, not the whole family @ u ppl above me.

And cant believe theres no move out feature already...

Yea I know, that's what I was saying. I think it's kind of dumb that there's no official move out feature.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

what a brilliant idea. I will remember this. It would have to be done on a different lot though otherwise if its done on the same lot, the whole house would be uploaded and saved. If its just the one room with the stuff in, you need to put all furniture not going in the room, in the family inventory, take down all walls except the one room.

But if its just furniture that can be bought then you could do it on another lot.

Save to the room library, not the lot library. A room for the purpose can be constructed in the basement. No need to do it on a different lot.
    Awake.
    The day's divinity....
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,579 Member
    edited July 2016

But, if you upload the whole house. go to an empty lot, download it and delete what you don't want, then re upload it with just the stuff you want.

There's an option to save just one room to your Library. You have to click on that room and when those arrow things pop up on the sides, go to your Save lot button and there's a drop down. A box icon will be not grayed out and there's where you save a room.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
    Going off topic..but was thinking, this technique could be used for a kinda garage sale. Buy an empty lot as retail space and then place a room on the lot - delete the room and add the required bits and bats and then and set all the furniture for sale.
    Awake.
    The day's divinity....
  • damagedlostbrokendamagedlostbroken Posts: 293 Member

Yes! This works wonderfully, I've used this idea a lot. :)
  • belpitabelpita Posts: 1,445 Member

I do this too, especially if there are some beautiful paintings I want to share among my households.
    holy necrobump. but I've thought about this recently, you could probably do this:

put the stuff you wanna move in the family inventory, then move the whole family along with the sim you're trying to move out, then take the stuff out of the inventory and move the rest of the family back to their house.

a bit of work, but it would work I think.