Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 3 > Sims 4?

Comments

• plushtrap_107plushtrap_107 Posts: 1,435 Member
    edited February 2017
    @igazor, yes, that's what happened to my Sims :) Once I added the babysitters, they needed to go to school like normal teens do. They were living with Buster Round and his wife and son in Bridgeport. The ex-babysitters started dating and when they were young adults, they got engaged!

The repo man I added just dropped his device that sucks up your items and was then classed as unemployed. I think he got a job in the science career :)
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited February 2017
    @plushtrap_107 - Okay yes, that's fine then and what I would have expected. When I say you can't make a Service Sim be a resident, what I mean is you can't do that and expect them to hold onto their Service Sim NPC status at the same time. The follow-up question (from others) is often can we play maids and babysitters, etc. as part of our active household while they are still maids and babysitters -- answer is the same, that can't really be done.

Not so much Service Sims, but some of those Role Sims I've moved into my worlds have become welcome additions to my game though sometimes they require a minor makeover here and there. Two of them who showed up in Uni World, one as a bartender and one as a coffee barrista struck me as being perfect for each other even though they were complete strangers at the time, they became best friends with my actives, and I eventually moved them to Riverview where they are now living happily ever after as a couple each with proper careers. Some day I expect their kids will be playing with my sims' kids, etc. Sounds a bit like your ex-babysitters. :)
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,541 Member
    All this talk of service sims reminds me of my old old game where my sims had 5 kids and each of them grew up to marry a different type of service sim. It was kind of a mini challenge I set myself. I had so much fun with that game.

I feel so sorry for people who were never able to enjoy ts3 because of glitches and crashes etc. I would hate to be in that position. I'm fairly sure my sims 4 game is more glitchy than my sims 3 game at the moment. Which is a bit scary because ts4 has a lot less to it than I have with all my sims 3 eps, sps and huge quantity of store content.

Of course, there are no toasters, pineapples, potatoes or any other kind of food or kitchen appliances involved in the running of any of my games lol. I do sometimes accidentally drop bread crumbs and the occasional splodge of picallili on my keyboard though - not sure if that has any bearing on glitches.
  • All this talk of service sims reminds me of my old old game where my sims had 5 kids and each of them grew up to marry a different type of service sim. It was kind of a mini challenge I set myself. I had so much fun with that game.

I feel so sorry for people who were never able to enjoy ts3 because of glitches and crashes etc. I would hate to be in that position. I'm fairly sure my sims 4 game is more glitchy than my sims 3 game at the moment. Which is a bit scary because ts4 has a lot less to it than I have with all my sims 3 eps, sps and huge quantity of store content.

Of course, there are no toasters, pineapples, potatoes or any other kind of food or kitchen appliances involved in the running of any of my games lol. I do sometimes accidentally drop bread crumbs and the occasional splodge of picallili on my keyboard though - not sure if that has any bearing on glitches.
    I agree... I am sorry for the people who never enjoyed of ts3 because it is the best in my opinion, realistic, with a full real world. You can even sit in the car with your cat.
    My ts4 game sucks now.
    IfvKgi.jpg[/URL]
    edited February 2017
    This is something I've never understood myself about TS3 (it's a good thing, though). Service and Role Sims, as well as some other examples like WA explorers and the inactive students in Uni World, haven't had any upbringing. They were spawned either by EA or a mod strictly to carry out their functions in life and that's all they really do unless we intervene. They don't have much in the way of skills, except those needed to run a bar, play a a piano, repair broken objects, or whatever they are supposed to be doing, or anything in the way of life experiences.

And yet, no matter what they look like as genetics is another thing entirely, they all seem so different from each other. My sim recently tried to get into the VIP area of a bar in Bridgeport. That proved to be impossible, but while he was there I decided to have him try to befriend the angry looking Role Sim (bouncer). The bouncer was already in a bad mood and looked annoyed at the distraction at first, but after a while my sim won him over and they were chatting away about art, music, and whatnot, my sim bought him a drink from the part of the bar he did have access to, they became good friends, etc. Still couldn't do the VIP thing, but (to me) that didn't matter anymore. I imagine another sim in that position would have just told my sim to buzz off and their friendly relationship would have gone nowhere.

Now some of this isn't really happening and we players have very active imaginations. But I'm not sure we can even devise such stories in our heads about randomly met sims in the other versions of this game. Maybe TS2, I can't really speak for that one. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • @igazor the same happened to me too, I needed to use cheats instead, it was really annoying.
    IfvKgi.jpg[/URL]
    @igazor the same happened to me too, I needed to use cheats instead, it was really annoying.
    I'm sorry...the same thing as what? If you are referring to my sim not being able to get into the VIP room, he wasn't meant to as his Celeb Level wasn't high enough. Or did you mean something else?

Yes, I could have cheated his way in but it's not really all that nice in there. ;)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Heaven-81Heaven-81 Posts: 45 Member
    can anyone tell me whhy i can not start a new post i need help my sis is stuck in her basement and i am trying to get the help to get her and her guest out of the basement the go up the stairs and then just go bk down
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,277 Member
    @Heaven-81, New Members are unable to start New Discussions since the moderators had went and disabled the New Discussion button due to the last round of spambot attacks that took place last year in November. In order for you to start a new thread, you first must become a full member. To be a full member, you need to have 50 points, 30 posts and an account older than 24 hours. You already have the 30 posts and an account older than 24 hours. You just need to get your points up to 50 and then you can start a new thread, have an avatar, have a signature, post pictures and links and send PM's to other members.

And now for your issue. Did you try using the resetsim cheat on your 2 Sims that's stuck in the basement? Is there anything blocking the stairs that's keeping them from using them? I know that there may be other things that could be causing this to happen but I can't seem to remember what they are. So hopefully the resetsim works or someone else may have a better solution then I do... :)
  • Heaven-81Heaven-81 Posts: 45 Member
    Ok thank you i yried to reset sim but still can't get out and not that i can yhere is nothing blocking the stairs they just can't ealk out like there is a door there and it is locked
  • ThalebThaleb Posts: 2 New Member
    I used to play a lot of sims 1 and 2 but skipped 3. Last week i was thinking of the good times i had with the old games and thought about buying sims 4. After watching some reviews of sims 4 on youtube (mainly LGR), i decided to buy Sims 3 instead based on the reviews. I can't really judge based on reviews alone, but it seems like at the moment sims 3 has more to offer and would be better to play untill sims 4 has matured more content wise because visually it looks awesome. I guess it is logical to say sims 3 has more to offer since it's been out for years now and i skipped it :smile: But am i missing anything in sims 4 at the moment, has my choice been the right one?

I've been playing vanilla now for about a week and am planning on getting Late Night and seasons next. Totally hooked of course, loving it! :smiley:

If anyone still playing Sims 3 would like to add me, my name is ThalebFennec
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    @Thaleb , In my own opinion I think you've made the perfect choice. TS3 has much more to offer than TS4, though I am biased because I don't like Sims 4. However, your game at one point may require the use of a few mods if you run into issues. Please don't be afraid to come and ask for help here if that happens. Everyone here is willing to spend time with you helping to streamline your game so you can get the best possible experience.
    TS3 does require a lot of TLC but it will give you back enjoyment a thousand-fold, if you just spend a little time helping it along :)
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    Heaven-81 wrote: »
    Ok thank you i yried to reset sim but still can't get out and not that i can yhere is nothing blocking the stairs they just can't ealk out like there is a door there and it is locked

@Heaven-81 Have they ever gone up these stairs successfully? If so, something has changed, like the stairs have broken, something got moved, or there's an invisible object blocking them.

If not, it's a problem with how/where the stairs were placed or with the lot itself perhaps, and I'm not the person with any answers, but someone else around the forum will know something.

I have had the problem with the stairs themselves becoming "broken," and I needed to go into build mode and put in new ones. Thinking, though, that since the sims *can* go up these stairs, it's more likely to be a matter of something blocking them or a routing problem.

If you're trying to send them somewhere in particular upstairs, perhaps they can't route to that spot from where they are. In that case, you could try sending them somewhere else upstairs. If that doesn't work, it seems as though it would be something blocking the stairs, even though you can't see what it is.

Are they living in an EA house? And if so, what house in what world? Someone here might know of a known problem with a particular lot.

Something (relatively) easy to try to fix the problem - assuming the stairs worked at one time - would be to move out the sims to an empty lot, save the house to the bin (don't forget that part), then bulldoze the lot. You would then replace the house from the bin on that lot, and move your sims back in. Or, even easier, you could just move the sims into a different house entirely and give up on that one.

Guessing you might not be able to do a normal move-out by phone because they would still need to go up the stairs to leave, so you would need to do it from edit town. (I can't remember if you can do that while your household is active - someone here will know . . .)

You're probably pretty close to full member status, and when you get it, you might want to make a separate post on this. It might take some back-and-forth to work it out.
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    Hi @Thaleb. This post is in the Sims 3 section of the forum, so a lot more of us will probably put in a postive word for Sims 3 here than if it were elsewhere. There is a LOT to do in Sims 3 since it is a complete game. I still haven't tried everything it has to offer. The major ways it differs from the other games in the series is that it has an open world (no loading screens if you are going somewhere in the world where your sim lives) and it has great customization tools within the game, allowing you to change colors and patterns of almost everything). Once I became accustomed to all that after switching to it from Sims 2, I quickly became addicted, and I just can't play Sims 4 because it lacks those things.

Sims 3 is also much more of a sandbox game. There are so many ways you can play it, and it doesn't try too hard to steer you. I think Sims 2 (I barely remember Sims 1), was less relaxed in that regard, but I never had a problem learning to side-step whatever it was steering me towards that I didn't want to do. Sims 4 just seems to have a *lot* of things you *have* to do that makes it a big chore for me - extra work outside of work, extra work outside of school, party goals, etc., etc. I guess I have enough chores in my real life (like right now I need to go reboot the laundry ;) ), and I don't want that in my games. You might not feel the same way and that's perfectly OK. :)

Any downsides to Sims 3 would be in terms of glitchiness and playability. It's a big, complex game, and you need a decent computer to handle it. You also probably need a few mods to keep it running smoothly. In my opinion, though, any effort you need to put into making it run is well worth it.
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • ThalebThaleb Posts: 2 New Member
    Hi @Pary! Im sure i will ask you simgurus for help or suggestions after a while. At the moment the base game is still keeping me occupied :smiley: Why you don't like TS4?

Hello @suzses! Thanks for the reply :smile: TS3 did seem a bit overwhelming at first, and even more so when i got married and was controling multiple sims! Hahaha But i got used to the gameplay after a day or 2 and finding it very enjoyable. I've seen in the reviews of TS4 that they simplefied lots (especially the world map seems a bit strange) and that kinda turned me off from buying TS4 over TS3.
    I only have the overwatch mod installed since i read it smoothens the experience, and i got that "couldn't find graphics card" thing notice on startup which i also sorted out with a guide and pushed the graphics memory to 1GB. I still do get some freezes while fast forwarding... But not as often :smile:
  • HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    Heaven-81 wrote: »
    can anyone tell me whhy i can not start a new post i need help my sis is stuck in her basement and i am trying to get the help to get her and her guest out of the basement the go up the stairs and then just go bk down

I'm guessing that the stairs are stacked on top of each other. Meaning that one stairway goes up and the one that goes down is directly below it.

This works on new builds just fine. But when you save the lot and place it on another lot it has to be a lot that is oriented the exact same way. By that I mean if the lot was created on a 'north to south' facing lot, it has to be placed on a 'north to south' facing lot. Of course we have no way to know in new worlds when lots are 'north to south' and which are 'east to west'!

So all you can do is to pick up the house and try placing it on a road that goes in the opposite direction. Or just rebuild the stairway some place else on the lot, either to the right or left of the original staircase or in another spot altogether.

Hope this helps and good luck!
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • AvataritAvatarit Posts: 836 Member
    I only have sims 3 but watched some sims 4 reviews in youtube.
    To me, the sims 4 is too much "cartoony" to me. their face, body, the walking. sims 3 feels more realistic and that's what I like about it.
    the only thing so far in sims 4 that I miss in my game are the careers/Get to work stuff. I wish it was in the sims 3 instead of the acrobat/magician/ghosthunter careers...
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,541 Member
    To me, the sims 4 is too much "cartoony" to me. their face, body, the walking. sims 3 feels more realistic and that's what I like about it.
    the only thing so far in sims 4 that I miss in my game are the careers/Get to work stuff. I wish it was in the sims 3 instead of the acrobat/magician/ghosthunter careers...
    There are some great careers in ts3. My favourite is the daycare one, as I love my sim staying at home looking after other peoples toddlers and kids. I quite like the architect too and the stylist. Firefighter is pretty cool, but can sometimes get glitched.
  • AvataritAvatarit Posts: 836 Member
    There are some great careers in ts3. My favourite is the daycare one, as I love my sim staying at home looking after other peoples toddlers and kids. I quite like the architect too and the stylist. Firefighter is pretty cool, but can sometimes get glitched.

The careers you mentioned - I enjoy them too. But it could be really cool to have also the sims 4 get to work careers instead of rabbitholes. In real life I know more scientists/people in the medical career/ police career rather than people that are in the show bussiness for example.

The careers you mentioned - I enjoy them too. But it could be really cool to have also the sims 4 get to work careers instead of rabbitholes. In real life I know more scientists/people in the medical career/ police career rather than people that are in the show bussiness for example.
    If not averse to using mods, there is a Do It Yourself project type of way to go about open careers in TS3.
    http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Zerbu's+Ultimate+Careers+Mod
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • KatNipKatNip Posts: 1,066 Member
    Kitiara wrote: »
    @MidnightAura I tried that about.. 2 or 3 months ago. They told me I had to take a picture of my "existing" CDs with the date on them. Once I gave them that they would give it to me. I was like if I could FIND the discs.. I wouldn't have to go through this. lol

I snagged it with a photo of double deluxe off my old PC. I could send it to you. ;)
  • KatNipKatNip Posts: 1,066 Member
    I dont get people's problems with open world. There has always been rabbitholes, TS3's just dont make you disappear off the lot.
  • dorcsyfuldorcsyful Posts: 851 Member
    KatNip wrote: »
    I dont get people's problems with open world. There has always been rabbitholes, TS3's just dont make you disappear off the lot.

My thoughts exactly...
  • Marycool33Marycool33 Posts: 151 Member
    I like TS3 more. I used to prefer TS4 because it had less lag but, even though it doesn't have multi-tasking, I have to say that TS3 is my favourite. I just hope that, if TS5 ever becomes a thing, it doesn't come out feeling incomplete as TS4 was AND it has open worlds along with multi-tasking. I thought games were supposed to get better with each new release so I really don't get why they deleted some handy features and replace them with other useful ones, instead of clashing them together. Sure open worlds can make you lag quite a bit but there are other things that TS4 seems to be lacking in quite a bit. I used to defend the sims 4 greatly but looking at it now... I'm not sure what to say anymore. The City Living expansion hyped me up quite a bit but there are still things I'm rather upset about.
  • Open worlds, freedom to play the way you want and yes, still funny but more realistic graphic >
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top