Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 3 > Sims 4?

Comments

• Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    Oh, were there some new devs or change in devs for the toddlers patch, @JoAnne65 ? Or was it devs going all "retro" style or something (lol)?

Whatever it is, it was a good change, because now we finally have the tots! :smiley:

But Yes, @JoAnne65 , I agree with you! I love the toddlers, too! :grin: They definitely give me that awesome Sim game vibes, not a watered down tablet/phone game or anything. I didn't think that the older toddlers were as terrible-terrible as some players described them, but these tots are an improvement and feel lively and realistic (like how a life simulation should be like!). :blush:

They are sooo cute!!!! (*ahem* Excuse my squealing, lol.)

The toddlers update does show me what the devs can do if they were allowed the appropriate amount of resources, time, and budget (and maybe programming staff) to create a great game.

It does show me the company still has talent and potential to do more than what Sims 4 at launch was. They can do better, and I really, really hope the company has learn from their mistakes for the next game (hopefully it's a new engine). :smile:
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    It is very sad to me that ts4 turned out the way it did. I hated it altogether at the start and thought the art style was dreadful, I have no idea how it ended up growing on me to the point that I liked it :D But ts3 does still beat ts4 in almost every aspect.

With ts4 I know I can dive into the game at any point and be able to play within minutes, even if I need a new home it is so easy to just plop one down from the gallery. And yet... my enthusiasm for loading the game up is not there very often. There is just no diversity, it's only good for playing happy, chatty, huggy sims who like to do push-ups in the street and watch tv standing up.

With ts3 I have spent weeks setting up my hoods with the Lots I want in there, installing what store content I want and making sure I have the mods to help it run smoothly. A huge task, which is not yet finished (I had decided half way through my last game that I wanted to add ITF and some additional store content). All this time and effort... but I know it will be worth it in the end because there is just SO MUCH in the game. It's just darn magnificent :p
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I decided to bite the bullet and try that 48 hour trial for Sims 4, I lasted half an hour before ending the game. I just didn't enjoy it like I enjoy playing 3, 2 & even 1.
    The basegame unfortunately is very poor. Did you play the toddlers?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    It is very sad to me that ts4 turned out the way it did. I hated it altogether at the start and thought the art style was dreadful, I have no idea how it ended up growing on me to the point that I liked it :D But ts3 does still beat ts4 in almost every aspect.

With ts4 I know I can dive into the game at any point and be able to play within minutes, even if I need a new home it is so easy to just plop one down from the gallery. And yet... my enthusiasm for loading the game up is not there very often. There is just no diversity, it's only good for playing happy, chatty, huggy sims who like to do push-ups in the street and watch tv standing up.

With ts3 I have spent weeks setting up my hoods with the Lots I want in there, installing what store content I want and making sure I have the mods to help it run smoothly. A huge task, which is not yet finished (I had decided half way through my last game that I wanted to add ITF and some additional store content). All this time and effort... but I know it will be worth it in the end because there is just SO MUCH in the game. It's just darn magnificent :p

Yup. I get so mad when my sim is mean to another and they go on happily chatting and hugging like nothing happened.

I've also been setting up my hood for about a week now, all residents getting make overs and I want to get back to fixing the houses. Stopped because Darren dreamer moved from the house I did over for him. I want to try and build a gondola and roller-coaster park too. I wanted to add one someone made but their lot is bigger than the one I need a lot for.

Even with all that and searching for clothing CC for the disadvantaged sims I still enjoy it more than playing sims 4.which is sad.
  • Options
    KoumoriDiruKoumoriDiru Posts: 6,681 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    The basegame unfortunately is very poor. Did you play the toddlers?

No. I saw a video of them and I wasn't impressed

tumblr_nvbyvezH0b1uvyu9yo8_r1_400.gif
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I love the sims 4 toddlers. But unless I play with a permanent toddler or two, my issues with the game still remain. For me toddlers won't fix the sims 4, open world wouldn't even fix it. It's the sims themselves.
  • Options
    Nomiko13Nomiko13 Posts: 1,497 Member
    Honestly, I enjoy aspects of both. I used to flat out say I hated TS4 but that was largely due to me only owning the base game at the time, so there wasn't much to do, versus me owning all the EPs of TS3. I definitely think the complexities of emotions are greater in TS4, as are the detailed graphics, CAS options and toddlers, however, I love the open world, epic life span (I personally think the "long" option for life in TS4 is so short so I'm compelled to stop aging), cars, and other things in TS3.

Each game has something different to offer and I appreciate them in different ways. No competition :smiley:<3
    ▼add/follow▼
    ●【youtube】【 sims 3 page】【gallery】●

mario_10.jpg
    ●|| free items | daily deals | cascades |thank you ||●
    ▲still waiting on sims 4 generations▲
    ▶owner of the store since 9/21/2017◀
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    @Nomiko13 complexities of emotions? To me, that is one of the things that lets the game down. Sad sims walking into a nicely decorated room can suddenly be happy, they can watch their child burning and not care, they can flit from happy to playful to angry to happy within the space of 5 mins. Mostly I try to ignore what the UI is telling me when I play cos it would drive me insane.

The cas options are wonderful, and being able to add hats to any hair and have all clothing pregnancy enabled is great. But I do tend to have to play ts4 in the style of ts2 (hardly ever leaving the home lot) so I have to be in the right mood to play it.

Ts3 has totally spoilt me with its open world. My play style is that I want to be able to control all my sims at the same time. Dad wants to go down the bar while mum does some reading in the library and daughter is playing over at her friends house. Drives me nuts most of the time not being able to do that in ts4.
  • Options
    brackencat31brackencat31 Posts: 318 Member
    I play both and I enjoy both, if pushed though I d probably say sims 4 is my favourite. I like rotating round lots of different households and creating stories for them all, so the club system is great and sims 4 does make it easy for me to do this. I can do the same thing in sims 3 with nraas mods and I m lucky to have a computer that plays sims 3 excellently. Sims 4 suits me a little better though, I like the art style and I don't really use cc so the sims in 4 look better to me than vanilla sims in 3 but that's my own personal viewpoint. Sims 3 is a great game though and I love the sheer amount of choice for everything, the content for sims 3 is amazing which is why I switch between the two games.
  • Options
    @Nomiko13 complexities of emotions? To me, that is one of the things that lets the game down. Sad sims walking into a nicely decorated room can suddenly be happy, they can watch their child burning and not care, they can flit from happy to playful to angry to happy within the space of 5 mins. Mostly I try to ignore what the UI is telling me when I play cos it would drive me insane.

The cas options are wonderful, and being able to add hats to any hair and have all clothing pregnancy enabled is great. But I do tend to have to play ts4 in the style of ts2 (hardly ever leaving the home lot) so I have to be in the right mood to play it.

Ts3 has totally spoilt me with its open world. My play style is that I want to be able to control all my sims at the same time. Dad wants to go down the bar while mum does some reading in the library and daughter is playing over at her friends house. Drives me nuts most of the time not being able to do that in ts4.

@elanorbreton ah, I understand in that context of items impacting moods (I don't have City Living because it's too expensive rn and I wasn't psyched about houses having their own kind of moods and impacting your sim's moods or the talking toilet but I'll buy when Black Friday comes this year). What I meant was that I enjoy that their expressions show, not only on the dashboard below on their sim's face, but in their walk, on the actual sim and impacts how they do actions, whereas, in TS3, it's admittedly robotic. I think the only time I've seen my sim's posture change was when they woohooed in public :joy: They had this walk with swag. It had me rolling over in laughter. :sob:

I agree with TS3 spoiling us with the open world <3 I always took advantage of it whenever my sims had days off. And plus, I miss the school bus coming to get the kids :heartbreak: It's so weird for the kids to just up and disappear in thin air, without following them to school. Same with your adult sims, when they go to work (if they have a non-Get to Work profession) and when they travel. Yeah, same about your last part. I liked having each do their own thing simultaneously in TS3.
    ▼add/follow▼

mario_10.jpg
  • Options
    jjames041jjames041 Posts: 65 Member
    for me its the sims2 and sims3 only
  • Options
    aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    Nomiko13 wrote: »
    Honestly, I enjoy aspects of both. I used to flat out say I hated TS4 but that was largely due to me only owning the base game at the time, so there wasn't much to do, versus me owning all the EPs of TS3. I definitely think the complexities of emotions are greater in TS4, as are the detailed graphics, CAS options and toddlers, however, I love the open world, epic life span (I personally think the "long" option for life in TS4 is so short so I'm compelled to stop aging), cars, and other things in TS3.

Each game has something different to offer and I appreciate them in different ways. No competition :smiley:<3

@Nomiko13 - Just curious: on the part that I emphasised, do you mean the art style? Or what do you mean by detailed graphics?
  • Options
    I love the sims 4 toddlers. But unless I play with a permanent toddler or two, my issues with the game still remain. For me toddlers won't fix the sims 4, open world wouldn't even fix it. It's the sims themselves.
    Same here.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    aricarai wrote: »

@Nomiko13 - Just curious: on the part that I emphasised, do you mean the art style? Or what do you mean by detailed graphics?

@aricarai both, but I love the style on the sims the most. At first, I thought it was cartoonish looking but as I actually looked at them for a bit, I realized how detailed the style is on the sims.
    ▼add/follow▼

mario_10.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2017

@aricarai both, but I love the style on the sims the most. At first, I thought it was cartoonish looking but as I actually looked at them for a bit, I realized how detailed the style is on the sims.
    I play both games but in fact sims in 3 are more detailed where it concerns facial expressions for instance. I am highly impressed by the detailed toddlers in 4, they are the best. But I miss that kind of detail with the other life stages. Their facial expressions within one emotion are rather static.
    (but maybe this is not what you mean)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member

Interesting. Funny how detailed can be interpreted in different ways. To me, textures are detailed, hair strands, grass blades, tree bark, stunning worlds, that's detailed and to me, that's Sims 3.

I've seen some detailed Sims from Sims 4 but they're chalk full of CC and I usually can't tell that they're Sims 4 Sims :lol:
  • Options
    edited January 2017

Interesting. Funny how detailed can be interpreted in different ways. To me, textures are detailed, hair strands, grass blades, tree bark, stunning worlds, that's detailed and to me, that's Sims 3.

I've seen some detailed Sims from Sims 4 but they're chalk full of CC and I usually can't tell that they're Sims 4 Sims :lol:

@aricarai haha, you're right! I didn't really pay mind to detail in nature (trees, bushes, etc) because I never cared to decorate my lot with plants and so on. I hyper focused on the interior (which I do miss the ample amounts of choices TS3 gave us - color wheel, rather than just the limited amount of choices with colors/styles) :joy: I don't use CC in TS4 because I'm pretty happy with the choices I'm given, though the hair took a little bit to get used it :sob: Maybe it's because I'm a big cartoon/animation enthusiast that I enjoy the style so much on the Sims 4. They remind me of those animation films where the style makes characters look so real with excellent CGI.

I play both games but in fact sims in 3 are more detailed where it concerns facial expressions for instance. I am highly impressed by the detailed toddlers in 4, they are the best. But I miss that kind of detail with the other life stages. Their facial expressions within one emotion are rather static.
    (but maybe this is not what you mean)

What I meant was that the expressions aren't shown on the physical sim in TS3 as much. For instance, your sim could be feeling uncomfortable but their faces wouldn't reflect what was shown on the board-thingy at the bottom (like in this image).
    aid1249172-728px-Have-a-Great-Family-in-the-Sims-3-Step-3.jpg
    I think the only time I've seen details in the facial expression on the physical sim was when my sim had dark bags under her eyes because I made her pull an all-nighter on her novel by drinking up on coffee every few hours. I was so surprised to see the darkness under her eyes when her action bubble popped up, like in here:
    simsguides4.jpg
    and then I zoomed into her face to see the dark bags under her eyes :joy: I'm sorry I'm not being as coherent as I intended to be <3

**the images aren't screenshots of my sims, just screenshots to show what I was talking about in reference to the dashboard & action bubble head thing I was talking about XD
    ▼add/follow▼

mario_10.jpg
  • Options
    @Nomiko13 Maybe I don't understand you correcty but a TS3 sim will look in love in a situation like that (your example) in between animations. And when they're tired they indeed look tired. When something is dirty in their neighborhood, their facial expression will show you before you even noticed the moodlet.

Zwerver_156_zpsfxu4egcm.png

Frances_178.jpg

Zwerver_632_zpsin3sxq9n.png

While my sim in 4:

18-10-16_21-27-26_zpsovodk3q4.png

That being said, when sims in 4 have an emotion they're more loyal to it in between animations and maybe that's what you mean? A sim in 3 will 'jump' into neutral mood as soon as you start doing other things with them. I'd like this combined (how it works in 3 and how it works in 4 myself.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    @Nomiko13 Maybe I don't understand you correcty but a TS3 sim will look in love in a situation like that (your example) in between animations. And when they're tired they indeed look tired. When something is dirty in their neighborhood, their facial expression will show you before you even noticed the moodlet.

Frances_178.jpg

While my sim in 4:

That being said, when sims in 4 have an emotion they're more loyal to it in between animations and maybe that's what you mean? A sim in 3 will 'jump' into neutral mood as soon as you start doing other things with them. I'd like this combined (how it works in 3 and how it works in 4 myself.

I'm not saying there's no expressions in TS3 sims, I'm saying they're not as expressed as complexly as they are in TS4 (in my opinion). For instance, when they're angry, they do every action angrily. Like, my male sim was 'very angry' that someone was flirting with his fiancee at her promotion celebration. When I had him prepare a meal, he went to the fridge to collect the needed food items and slammed it shut and then while he was cooking, he angrily stirred the pot while muttering furiously. He also had the angry walk going on. The same when they're dazed/flirty/sad/etc. Those moods are reflected in the actions they complete and in their faces (not just once but also while they're doing whatever they're doing). Whereas, in TS3, the emotions don't stick that much and are as reflected in the actions. They show an expression or two but then that'll be that while the dashboard version of them reflects whatever mood they're in. I basically adore the way the developers deeply improved the emotions in TS4. I hope this clears it up~

In TS4, moods have +'s and my guess of that sim in the image is that they have a happier moodlet that's overpowering the negative moodlets (i.e. Happy 3+, uncomfortable 1+, etc), but it also depends on their traits, like if that sim is neat, I'm sure that trait would kick in and dominate the happy ones.

And that'd be pretty neat with a combination!
    ▼add/follow▼

mario_10.jpg
  • Options

Frances_178.jpg

While my sim in 4:

I'm not saying there's no expressions in TS3 sims, I'm saying they're not as expressed as complexly as they are in TS4 (in my opinion). For instance, when they're angry, they do every action angrily. Like, my male sim was 'very angry' that someone was flirting with his fiancee at her promotion celebration. When I had him prepare a meal, he went to the fridge to collect the needed food items and slammed it shut and then while he was cooking, he angrily stirred the pot while muttering furiously. He also had the angry walk going on. The same when they're dazed/flirty/sad/etc. Those moods are reflected in the actions they complete and in their faces (not just once but also while they're doing whatever they're doing). Whereas, in TS3, the emotions don't stick that much and are as reflected in the actions. They show an expression or two but then that'll be that while the dashboard version of them reflects whatever mood they're in. I basically adore the way the developers deeply improved the emotions in TS4. I hope this clears it up~

In TS4, moods have +'s and my guess of that sim in the image is that they have a happier moodlet that's overpowering the negative moodlets (i.e. Happy 3+, uncomfortable 1+, etc), but it also depends on their traits, like if that sim is neat, I'm sure that trait would kick in and dominate the happy ones.

I agree but then agree mr. Angry will go hug and kiss his wife and be all friendly with the other guy.. Forgetting he was ever angry in a day, even when angry he will still use every positive interaction available. And if you stuck enough nice paintings he can even forget he is mad.
  • Options
    06Bon06 wrote: »

Frances_178.jpg

While my sim in 4:

I agree but then agree mr. Angry will go hug and kiss his wife and be all friendly with the other guy.. Forgetting he was ever angry in a day, even when angry he will still use every positive interaction available. And if you stuck enough nice paintings he can even forget he is mad.

True :/ He was upset at her and had "flirty spouse" moodlet, even though she didn't react happily to being flirted with by a coworker. He wanted to do angry interactions with her instead of the coworker, which I thought was pretty weird. And I stray away from mood influencing objects because it's just unnatural to have a flip in emotions just like that. I think the only one I've used is the flirty objects in the adults' bedroom.
    ▼add/follow▼

mario_10.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2017

Frances_178.jpg

While my sim in 4:

This is exactly why I would like a combination between TS2/3 and TS4 in this respect (I agree with your analysis). I like how sims in 4 indeed will handle their anger - in this case - in other actions because it makes them less on/off. What I prefer in TS2 and 3 however (and in a different way this feels more detailed and complex to me), is how the sims aim their anger towards particular sims. In sims 4 a sim who is angry with their spouse, will treat everyone the same way: angry. In Sims 2 and 3 they will be angry with the sim that made them angry, but not with other sims. Which is what happens in real life too. When my daughter is mad at me she in fact will be extra friendly to her father, to make me feel that I'm the problem in her world :p I think they certainly improved emotions in one way, but in other ways they apparently had to sacrifice things that I regret. The emotions as such in 4 feel rather one dimensional to me, because they're always the same for every sim, never personal and they change very fast. I'd love for instance if they'd manage to make a connection between traits and emotions.

(in Sims 2 I found that being angry is even more advanced, when a woman who had been insulted by my sim called her to give her a chance to save the relationship; that felt very 'in depth' to me)

p.s., in addition to @06Bon06 , I was surprised that when my TS4 sim flirted with a guy because I wanted her to have a toddler and apparently went a bit too fast for him, he rejected her and they both felt negative about it (embarrased even). Still I could continue the flirting and stuff after an apology and not much later they were in bed. That would be impossible in 3. When you insult a sim in 3 you can apologize all you want (or even use smooth recovery), but that doesn't mean all interactions will work out the way they do when nothing awkward happened.
    Post edited by JoAnne65 on
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I much prefer the emotions in the sims 2 and 3 to 4. Heck even the sims 1 has (in my opinion) more realistic reactions with relationships. I agree that with the sims 4 it's crazy that your sim can catch their spouse cheating but they will still go to bed and woohoo that night. I think the sims 4 sims have goldfish memories and instantly forget things. I don't know how else to explain sims being okay with seeing their loved ones treating them badly but not really reacting to it.
  • Options
    06Bon06 wrote: »

Frances_178.jpg

While my sim in 4:

True :/ He was upset at her and had "flirty spouse" moodlet, even though she didn't react happily to being flirted with by a coworker. He wanted to do angry interactions with her instead of the coworker, which I thought was pretty weird. And I stray away from mood influencing objects because it's just unnatural to have a flip in emotions just like that. I think the only one I've used is the flirty objects in the adults' bedroom.

I don't use mood altering stuff either but their emotions are crazy. Even when my sim is mad he isn't really mad. I had a sim kiss his one girlfriend infront of the other. A small drop in relationship (should've gone into the negative tbh). Neither tried to slap him or each other and they all had a lovely dinner and neither broke up with him.

In sims 3 even though they do have more neutral emotions between actions I can feel the anger. A guest got into a fight with my sim and they were constantly talking about each other with the other guests. Their facial expressions assured me it was nothing nice lol then they'd pick on each other. Never got a wish to hug him or be friends.

Different game sim cheated on his girlfriend. They ended up patching things up but a day before the wedding she tells him it's over. (nothing like this in 4) she visited her daughter. Once she came to visit the kid and the guy started flirting with her while his new pregnant wife was in bed. Should have seen the look on the girls face lmao then the cat attacked her XD

Unfortunately I don't have any unique save memories from sims 4.

Just thought of 2 where I let the pleasants divorce after Angela died. Took her urn with the mom and omg she hated her new stepfather. Shed only ever haunt him and go to lengths to do that.
  • Options
    To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    The emotions are a bit flip tastic. I stay FAR away from emotional buffs and the like. It's also rather easy to manipulate them, which I both like and dislike.

I do, however, think Angry and Sad are possible the two best emotions. I had a hot head sim die from getting enraged and she's a nightmare as a ghost. The husband also spent 3 days crying in the closet because of her death. It actually broke my heart a little to load up a game to see he had taken himself to 'cry it out' in bed or the closet even though I had left him asleep or working out or something.

But it's true, I'm enjoying this game much more now, but for every great thing I find, and there are many now, compared to at launch, there's something to drop my heart a little not far behind. The Sims 4 really does need a good fine tuning in regards to traits and emotions and the like... I'm not a programmer or anything but depending on what they have to work with and if they're able to change what they like this emotion system could be rather fun.

And memories. Sims *need* their memories back. Somebody called them goldfish and I agree, it annoys me that I have nothing to refer too and that once that moodlet/emotion is over they don't seem to remember what happened.

(Sorry to comment, I know I said I wouldn't but was reading the convo and wanted to add, I'm also talking about TS4 only)

--T
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top