Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Thread for new members to post their Sims 3 game issues

Comments

• chocolate1997chocolate1997 Posts: 2 New Member
    Hi everyone!

I'm new to this forum so I'm hoping someone would be able to assist with a few issues that have cropped up with my game the last couple of weeks.

- I have downloaded approx. 30 items from the Sims 3 shop, once downloaded they only appear in-game for about 30 minutes before disappearing whilst I'm playing! I have deleted and reinstalled the items multiple times to see if this would fix the issue but with no avail. I have also tried the method of deleting the social. cache type files then trying to reinstall. Is there any way to resolve this so I don't have to keep attempting to download and install every item? and on the occasion that it does work, for the game to delete the item mid-game? why is this happening?

- Another issue I have is mid-move, I deleted a few pets now the household is constantly on the move mode so I am unable to build/buy on my lot.

Just to note, the expansion packs I currently have is Late night, Seasons and 70's, 80's and 90's stuff. I have a HP Pavilion.
    I have installed and reinstalled the game also.

Thank you, everyone, for your help in advance!
  • buKM_ibuKM_i Posts: 2 New Member
    Hi All,
    I'm new here, and hope everyone is doing great.
    i got this issue on SIMS 3. keep crashing to desktop without error msg.
    i have tried many things found in internet(DEP, lower graphic setting, Vsync, Clean laptop fan)
    so far it still crashed( less than an hour gameplay )
    got my dxdiag here
    https://pastebin.com/n5H8LEPi

if anyone could help would be very appreciate.
    Cheers

appology for bad english, not native:\
  • GoogyGoogy Posts: 3 New Member
    I made an npc from university become my roommate at home, but now I want them to move back. Is there a way to to do this? Someone has told me I need to respawn them, but each time I use edit town it says the npc has insufficent funds.
  • puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    @buKM_i Thanks for the dxdiag; it makes things a lot easier. Yours lists a number of errors related to your graphics card driver, or rather one of them. (It doesn't specify which one.) So it's a good idea to update both the drivers. MSI doesn't have anything resembling current drivers for your laptop, but you can get new ones directly from Intel and Nvidia.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29465/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers?product=88967
    https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/159092/en-us

Download both drivers, end every task on your computer (or restart it), and shut down any realtime virus scanner you have. Install the Intel driver first, and restart your computer. Then install the Nvidia driver, restart again, and test the game.

It's also a good idea to reinstall DirectX 9. The DX errors in the dxdiag may be related to the faulty GPU driver, but it's not always clear. Sims 3 uses DX 9; you can just download the installer from Microsoft and run it without needing to uninstall anything first.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/download/details.aspx?id=8109

Despite the description in the link, it runs just fine in Windows 10.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    @chocolate1997 - That is unusual to say the least, store or any other items functioning but then disappearing mid-game like that. Is it possible that your TS3 user game folder, that should be Documents, is actually in OneDrive or that some other system activity like anti-virus is interfering with your game folder while you are trying to play the game?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    @Googy - A roommate is an NPC (a non-playable character) and NPCs are technically homeless, even if they are functioning as a formal roommate. They do not have family/personal finances, actually the game is supposed to supply them with essentially unlimited funds just like it does for Service Sims so they don't have to worry about such things. Their "household" though really consists of all of the homeless sims in town at once.

I guess it depends on how you got the Uni sim into your homeworld, but if the sim is not corrupt at this stage I think the best you can do is dismiss them. They can't be made playable while they have roommate status.

There is no way to send a sim back to a foreign world (Uni counts as foreign) without playing them actively and taking them there or using mods.

If not averse to using mods though, NRaas MasterController could be used to force this sim into a household of their own or into that of another proper resident. Once they become a full-fledged town resident, they should behave and be playable like any other sim but again this will depend on how the sim came to be in your homeworld and if they sustained any damage from that.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • buKM_ibuKM_i Posts: 2 New Member
    @puzzlezaddict
    Thanks for your help.
    Both drivers updated. Now testing 1 hour of gameplay no issues so far.
    Will update again after few hours or days.
    Cheers
  • GoogyGoogy Posts: 3 New Member
    @igazor
    I invited them over and requested that they become a roommate, will I still be able to use nraas?
    Googy wrote: »
    @igazor
    I invited them over and requested that they become a roommate, will I still be able to use nraas?
    The best I can say is maybe? It is not generally safe to bring a sim from a foreign world into a homeworld permanently that way because the traveling sim is really a scaled down representation of themselves while they are in town as a tourist. Much of their data is really still back in their own world. There are four NRaas mods that help protect sims who are tourists when asked or forced to move into town that way, namely Overwatch, ErrorTrap, Traveler, and RelationshipPanel. But those mods have to be present before the sims are asked or forced to move into our homeworlds in order for that protection to be effective.

The sim may be fine if you use MasterController to place them in a different household or they may fall apart on you over time, it's difficult to predict. It's always much safer to bring Uni and other world sims back home with us to the extent that is possible or use MasterController to force them in rather than inviting them to move in when they are in the tourist state.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • BonnieLM77BonnieLM77 Posts: 6 New Member
    Hi, I'm new here, searched for this issue and couldn't find anything. I created my own wallpapers within Sims 3 to use, they worked fine until last night, I was removing some extra files and when I closed and relaunched my game, all of the custom wall coverings I had created myself with patterns had disappeared, as well as some wallpapers I had downloaded from the sims 3 exchange-they still showed as installed, but did not appear in build mode, I know I deleted my downloaded sims index and deleted the cache files from the main folder, but may have deleted a file I shouldn't have, any suggestions on restoring it or just try loading a copy of some of the files that I have backed up?
  • chocolate1997chocolate1997 Posts: 2 New Member
    > @igazor said:
    > @chocolate1997 - That is unusual to say the least, store or any other items functioning but then disappearing mid-game like that. Is it possible that your TS3 user game folder, that should be Documents, is actually in OneDrive or that some other system activity like anti-virus is interfering with your game folder while you are trying to play the game?

Hi there,

thank you for your advice. I have checked and the Sims 3 files aren't stored in my one drive. Only store items disappear mid-game, nothing else!
  • ZahriiZahrii Posts: 2 New Member
    Hi, I've been having this issue recently. I recently got a new gaming laptop (Windows 10), but The Sims 3 now has a darker screen when I play it. It's not unplayable dark, but it's still annoying. I play TS3 on Steam. If I go into windowed mode it goes back to a normal brightness, but I'd much rather do full screen. I've tried changing the screen refresh rate, that didn't work. I can't try turning off compatibility mode because the option simply isn't there. I have also tried looking for the igfxpers.exe process, but it's not under the Processes tab in Task Manager for me for some reason. I've also made sure my video drivers are up to date, and the in-game settings match my refresh rate and resolution. If anyone has any advice, I'd appreciate it.
    edited April 2020
    Zahrii wrote: »
    Hi, I've been having this issue recently. I recently got a new gaming laptop (Windows 10), but The Sims 3 now has a darker screen when I play it. It's not unplayable dark, but it's still annoying. I play TS3 on Steam. If I go into windowed mode it goes back to a normal brightness, but I'd much rather do full screen. I've tried changing the screen refresh rate, that didn't work. I can't try turning off compatibility mode because the option simply isn't there. I have also tried looking for the igfxpers.exe process, but it's not under the Processes tab in Task Manager for me for some reason. I've also made sure my video drivers are up to date, and the in-game settings match my refresh rate and resolution. If anyone has any advice, I'd appreciate it.
    First what is probably a silly question, but are you playing plugged in or on battery? The game will never perform as well when on battery even when the power performance settings are adjusted (and then you get the wonderful side-effect of the battery draining on you in one hour or so).

You were given some helpful advice on the Steam forum. If all else fails, I would echo the suggestion of using Windowed Borderless Gaming if windowed mode is just going to work out better. With Windowed Borderless, if you can get it to work correctly, it doesn't really feel much different than full screen mode.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • ZahriiZahrii Posts: 2 New Member
    > @igazor said:
    > (Quote)
    > First what is probably a silly question, but are you playing plugged in or on battery? The game will never perform as well when on battery even when the power performance settings are adjusted (and then you get the wonderful side-effect of the battery draining on you in one hour or so).
    >
    > You were given some helpful advice on the Steam forum. If all else fails, I would echo the suggestion of using Windowed Borderless Gaming if windowed mode is just going to work out better. With Windowed Borderless, if you can get it to work correctly, it doesn't really feel much different than full screen mode.

Yeah, I'm plugged in.

I was mainly just wondering if anyone had any other potential solutions on here that nobody said on the Steam forum to be honest.
  • IngaInga Posts: 9 New Member
    Do I only have an issue with downloads from store.thesims3.com? Is it still in use? I am trying to download some free content but it only buffers and nothing is downloaded. Super weird.
  • JoochyJoochy Posts: 8 New Member
    Hi guys i am just wondering if anyone can help me. I have a macbook Pro 13-inch 2017 two thunderbolt 3 ports with a Intel Iri Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB and every time i click to play TS3 it comes up with an unknown error has occured. Can someone let me know if this means i wont be able to play on my mac? or is there another way to play in terms or reinstalling, deleting etc. Thanks guys!
    @Joochy The unknown error is usually fixable, although there are several different causes and therefore several different workarounds that are potentially necessary. Please list the packs you've installed, and any you'd like to install but haven't yet. And let us know whether you've uninstalled any content yet. (If you haven't, hold off on that for now.)
    > @puzzlezaddict said:
    > @Joochy The unknown error is usually fixable, although there are several different causes and therefore several different workarounds that are potentially necessary. Please list the packs you've installed, and any you'd like to install but haven't yet. And let us know whether you've uninstalled any content yet. (If you haven't, hold off on that for now.)

Thanks for the reply. I havent installed any packs or any content, cant even open the launcher. I just installed generations to see if it would work with a pack installed but still the same message!
    I am looking to install as least generations, seasons, pets, ambitions, mostly the expansions packs. I have all available but at least those listed :smile:
    @Joochy Do you have Generations installed right now? It's fine if you do—the pack doesn't cause any issues on its own. If you uninstalled it though, the hidden leftover files associated with it can cause an unknown error even if you apply all the other necessary fixes. So if you've uninstalled Generations, please do a clean uninstall of the whole game, then reinstall the base game only. Here's how to do a clean uninstall:

https://bluebellflora.com/how-to-do-a-clean-uninstall-and-reinstall-on-a-mac/

Whether you need to do a clean uninstall and reinstall or not, please run the Super Patch (digital download version) to manually patch the game to 1.67. The launcher doesn't always do a thorough job of patching on its own.

https://bluebellflora.com/sims-3-manual-super-patch-for-mac-1-67/

Please launch the game after running the Super Patch, just in case it does somehow work and you can skip one step. It probably won't, but it's worth testing anyway.

The next step is to edit the game's .sgr files to add your graphics chip. If you're not sure how to do this, you can find instructions, along with the appropriate text to add, on this page:

https://bluebellflora.com/2018/07/24/sims-3-mac-players-i-need-your-help/#Filesready

Click the link for the Intel 640, download the text for both graphicscards.sgr and graphicsrules, and follow the instructions in the readme to add the text to each file. If you get stuck during this process and need clarification, just ask. Once you've done the edits, test the game again, and let me know whether it works. There's no point in moving on to installing the rest of your packs unless you can get the game running without them.
    > @puzzlezaddict said:
    > @Joochy Do you have Generations installed right now? It's fine if you do—the pack doesn't cause any issues on its own. If you uninstalled it though, the hidden leftover files associated with it can cause an unknown error even if you apply all the other necessary fixes. So if you've uninstalled Generations, please do a clean uninstall of the whole game, then reinstall the base game only. Here's how to do a clean uninstall:
    >
    > https://bluebellflora.com/how-to-do-a-clean-uninstall-and-reinstall-on-a-mac/
    >
    > Whether you need to do a clean uninstall and reinstall or not, please run the Super Patch (digital download version) to manually patch the game to 1.67. The launcher doesn't always do a thorough job of patching on its own.
    >
    > https://bluebellflora.com/sims-3-manual-super-patch-for-mac-1-67/
    >
    > Please launch the game after running the Super Patch, just in case it does somehow work and you can skip one step. It probably won't, but it's worth testing anyway.
    >
    > The next step is to edit the game's .sgr files to add your graphics chip. If you're not sure how to do this, you can find instructions, along with the appropriate text to add, on this page:
    >
    > https://bluebellflora.com/2018/07/24/sims-3-mac-players-i-need-your-help/#Filesready
    >
    > Click the link for the Intel 640, download the text for both graphicscards.sgr and graphicsrules, and follow the instructions in the readme to add the text to each file. If you get stuck during this process and need clarification, just ask. Once you've done the edits, test the game again, and let me know whether it works. There's no point in moving on to installing the rest of your packs unless you can get the game running without them.

> @puzzlezaddict said:
    > @Joochy Do you have Generations installed right now? It's fine if you do—the pack doesn't cause any issues on its own. If you uninstalled it though, the hidden leftover files associated with it can cause an unknown error even if you apply all the other necessary fixes. So if you've uninstalled Generations, please do a clean uninstall of the whole game, then reinstall the base game only. Here's how to do a clean uninstall:
    >
    > https://bluebellflora.com/how-to-do-a-clean-uninstall-and-reinstall-on-a-mac/
    >
    > Whether you need to do a clean uninstall and reinstall or not, please run the Super Patch (digital download version) to manually patch the game to 1.67. The launcher doesn't always do a thorough job of patching on its own.
    >
    > https://bluebellflora.com/sims-3-manual-super-patch-for-mac-1-67/
    >
    > Please launch the game after running the Super Patch, just in case it does somehow work and you can skip one step. It probably won't, but it's worth testing anyway.
    >
    > The next step is to edit the game's .sgr files to add your graphics chip. If you're not sure how to do this, you can find instructions, along with the appropriate text to add, on this page:
    >
    > https://bluebellflora.com/2018/07/24/sims-3-mac-players-i-need-your-help/#Filesready
    >
    > Click the link for the Intel 640, download the text for both graphicscards.sgr and graphicsrules, and follow the instructions in the readme to add the text to each file. If you get stuck during this process and need clarification, just ask. Once you've done the edits, test the game again, and let me know whether it works. There's no point in moving on to installing the rest of your packs unless you can get the game running without them.

Hi puzzleaddict,
    It has worked! Thankyou SO MUCh. I havent been able to play this game in years, you dont understand how happy youve made me. I did a clean uninstall and also the patch update. Hopefully it stays this way.
    Thankyou so much again
    > @Joochy said:
    > > @puzzlezaddict said:
    > > @Joochy Do you have Generations installed right now? It's fine if you do—the pack doesn't cause any issues on its own. If you uninstalled it though, the hidden leftover files associated with it can cause an unknown error even if you apply all the other necessary fixes. So if you've uninstalled Generations, please do a clean uninstall of the whole game, then reinstall the base game only. Here's how to do a clean uninstall:
    > >
    > > https://bluebellflora.com/how-to-do-a-clean-uninstall-and-reinstall-on-a-mac/
    > >
    > > Whether you need to do a clean uninstall and reinstall or not, please run the Super Patch (digital download version) to manually patch the game to 1.67. The launcher doesn't always do a thorough job of patching on its own.
    > >
    > > https://bluebellflora.com/sims-3-manual-super-patch-for-mac-1-67/
    > >
    > > Please launch the game after running the Super Patch, just in case it does somehow work and you can skip one step. It probably won't, but it's worth testing anyway.
    > >
    > > The next step is to edit the game's .sgr files to add your graphics chip. If you're not sure how to do this, you can find instructions, along with the appropriate text to add, on this page:
    > >
    > > https://bluebellflora.com/2018/07/24/sims-3-mac-players-i-need-your-help/#Filesready
    > >
    > > Click the link for the Intel 640, download the text for both graphicscards.sgr and graphicsrules, and follow the instructions in the readme to add the text to each file. If you get stuck during this process and need clarification, just ask. Once you've done the edits, test the game again, and let me know whether it works. There's no point in moving on to installing the rest of your packs unless you can get the game running without them.
    >
    > > @puzzlezaddict said:
    > > @Joochy Do you have Generations installed right now? It's fine if you do—the pack doesn't cause any issues on its own. If you uninstalled it though, the hidden leftover files associated with it can cause an unknown error even if you apply all the other necessary fixes. So if you've uninstalled Generations, please do a clean uninstall of the whole game, then reinstall the base game only. Here's how to do a clean uninstall:
    > >
    > > https://bluebellflora.com/how-to-do-a-clean-uninstall-and-reinstall-on-a-mac/
    > >
    > > Whether you need to do a clean uninstall and reinstall or not, please run the Super Patch (digital download version) to manually patch the game to 1.67. The launcher doesn't always do a thorough job of patching on its own.
    > >
    > > https://bluebellflora.com/sims-3-manual-super-patch-for-mac-1-67/
    > >
    > > Please launch the game after running the Super Patch, just in case it does somehow work and you can skip one step. It probably won't, but it's worth testing anyway.
    > >
    > > The next step is to edit the game's .sgr files to add your graphics chip. If you're not sure how to do this, you can find instructions, along with the appropriate text to add, on this page:
    > >
    > > https://bluebellflora.com/2018/07/24/sims-3-mac-players-i-need-your-help/#Filesready
    > >
    > > Click the link for the Intel 640, download the text for both graphicscards.sgr and graphicsrules, and follow the instructions in the readme to add the text to each file. If you get stuck during this process and need clarification, just ask. Once you've done the edits, test the game again, and let me know whether it works. There's no point in moving on to installing the rest of your packs unless you can get the game running without them.
    >
    > Hi puzzleaddict,
    > It has worked! Thankyou SO MUCh. I havent been able to play this game in years, you dont understand how happy youve made me. I did a clean uninstall and also the patch update. Hopefully it stays this way.
    > Thankyou so much again

Actually when I click go on the launcher and it pops up with the blue screen with the green logo, it pops up saying "Important, message! There is a problem connecting to the server. Please ensure your internet connection is active. If the problems persists try again later." But i didnt think you had to play with internet?
    @puzzlezaddict turns out i spoke too soon. I installed World Adventures, High end loft and ambitions and now its coming up with the unexpected error again :(
    @Joochy Yeah, this is how it goes these days. When you installed the base game and got the server error, that was to be expected. I should have clarified that, sorry; I'm kind of all over the place these days. But it doesn't matter now—the presence of any pack besides World Adventures and High-End Loft Stuff is enough to get past the server error. The original point was just to get past the unknown error that you were seeing, as in, the .sgr edits worked.

By the way, just to be clear, did you in fact edit the .sgr files using Bluebellflora's prepared text? She'd love to know whether your deviceconfig.log now shows [Found: 1; Matched: 1] next to the graphics card name. So few people actually get back to her unless the edit doesn't work. The deviceconfig is in Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3, and the found and matched values are about 30 lines down.

For the unknown error you are seeing now, with just those three packs installed, all you need to do is create an alias (icon) for Ambitions in Applications\The Sims 3, alongside the alias for the base game. This is simple:

https://bluebellflora.com/sims-3-packs-not-showing-as-installed/

If and when you install a pack that's newer than Ambitions, you'll also need to apply a second workaround, which is copying a folder from Ambitions into a folder for the newest pack (by the date EA released it) you currently have installed. So if you install Into the Future, you copy the Ambitions folder into there; among the packs you listed, Seasons is the newest. This video shows where to find the folder and how to copy it over:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/CURRENT-ISSUE-Sims-3-Unknown-Error-in-El-Capitan-and-later-OS/m-p/5725514#M4852

There are three other packs—Late Night, Fast Lane, and Outdoor Living—that need the same two workarounds as Ambitions. And of course if you install a newer pack than your previous newest, you'll have to repeat the second workaround so that the folder for Ambitions (as well as the folders for any of those other three affected packs) gets copied into the folder for what is now the newest pack.
    Thanks for the reply, @puzzleaddict, I ended up getting very frustrated and did another clean uninstall of all packs + base game. I have now reinstalled the base game and updated with the updater and the other things you said and it worked perfectly. Just installed generations and now its telling me i have an exception raised error and i have to put my code in, which just crashes after anyway. Is there a way to get past this?

sorry for all the confusion, I have just been reading threads all day trying to figure it out, I will wait until your reply to do anything elsd.
    @Joochy Try running the Super Patch again. If that doesn't help, launch the game by double-clicking on the base game icon in Applications, rather than through Origin. You can also try double-clicking on the Generations icon in Applications.

If that doesn't help, try installing a newer pack: Pets, Seasons, anything that was released after Generations.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top